The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Royal Highness

"Upon the marriage of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles, the Queen intends to make Camilla a princess in her own right. It is intended she will be know as Princess Camilla The Princess Consort."

When it was decided she would known as Duchess of Cornwall an editing of the above statement could have resulted in the error.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest, I don't think Camilla is the type to insist on anything like a title. Should it be deemed that she is to be called Queen Consort, that's what she'll go as. Should it be Princess Consort that would be fine with her too. Camilla just doesn't go about making waves anywhere. At the time all of this would be going on, it would be at the time of HM's passing and she would know that rocking the boat would only add more stress and troubles for Charles.
I see it the same way.

Whatever jiggery-pokery (gamesmanship) was a-foot with the Princess Consort business, we can likely be assured that the tabloids will make hay of it all when the time comes, however it falls out.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Prince Charles is not computer savvy and a decade ago he was less tech savvy.

It might be a simple case of someone working on his website wrote Princess Consort because the idea had been tossed around privately prior to the engagement of C&C as title for Camilla rather than Princess of Wales before they settled on Duchess of Cornwall.

The 'Princess Consort' could be nothing more than a 'typo' on the POW website by a staff writer.

Prince Charles became aware of the 'error' but as of yet has not been able to rectify the error without a small group of people becoming ballistic.
[my bolding]

Does the Clarence House hire illiterate and stupid people? Is it impossible to hire a professional? Courtiers and royal advisers in Europe are clumsy. Hopefully the Clarence House will come up with a more elegant resolution of the "Princess Consort" situation. At the same time, Prince Charles should ascend the throne first.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:26 PM
Courtier

Clarence House said it was intended that the Duchess of Cornwall would be Princess Consort, and I believe intended is the key-word of this issue.

If the Queen lives as much as the Queen Mother, by the time the Prince of Wales becomes King (13 years from now, 22 years after his second marriage), Buckingham Palace can simply say that, although it was intended, back in 2005, that the Duchess of Cornwall would be Princess Consort, it was decided that the wife of the King must always be Queen.

"Princess Consort" was never a given, just an intention. And intentions can change.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Majesty

That's my reading of the situation as well. It's hard to believe but they have been married nine and a half years. Wherever did all that time go.

As to questions of right or wrong, this title or that? L.P. Hartley's almost prescient quote, "The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there", hits the nail squarely on the head.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Intended! Yes, Skippyboo picked up on that yesterday, but it has only just clicked that the use of this word gives a hint of ambiguity to the statement. It is certainly different than saying "...she WILL be princess consort..." but not quite as good as saying nothing at all!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
....He needs to 'man up' in advance and say exactly what he intends. Of course, that's what the original 'it is intended' statement was meant to be.
There is no easy out for him in this situation.

IMO
When the time comes, Charles won't have to "man up" to anything. Camilla will be crowned queen and all will be well.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
When the time comes, Charles won't have to "man up" to anything. Camilla will be crowned queen and all will be well.
I do not always agree with you, but in the case I do!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post

I think if that's what Charles is hoping to do (and I hope it is) then he would be smart to have the Princess Consort stuff removed from the Royal and PoW websites. Let the idea fade away, especially as (according to the June yougov survey, if not the DM) the idea is becoming more popular.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I think if that's what Charles is hoping to do (and I hope it is) then he would be smart to have the Princess Consort stuff removed from the Royal and PoW websites. Let the idea fade away, especially as (according to the June yougov survey, if not the DM) the idea is becoming more popular.
I think Prince Charles might be wise to do that, because he is certainly not going to be popular if it people believe he lied when he said that Camilla would be Princess Consort.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I think Prince Charles might be wise to do that, because he is certainly not going to be popular if it people believe he lied when he said that Camilla would be Princess Consort.
I think the phrase "it is intended" will be what gets him off the hook on this one.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I think the phrase "it is intended" will be what gets him off the hook on this one.
Exactly so, Osipi. We all know intentions change over time, and I hope this is what has happened in this instance..

Certainly there is very little animosity towards the Duchess these days [within the public opinion THAT COUNTS - Great Britains]. Elsewhere [principally in the USA] more rabid opinions seem to hold sway...
Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Exactly so, Osipi. We all know intentions change over time, and I hope this is what has happened in this instance..

Certainly there is very little animosity towards the Duchess these days [within the public opinion THAT COUNTS - Great Britains]. Elsewhere [principally in the USA] more rabid opinions seem to hold sway...
I do think that the British public has warmed to Camilla and I would hope that those in other countries have paid heed to how Camilla has conducted herself as The Duchess of Cornwall. She has been a big asset not only in supporting Charles, but the entire British Royal Family for the past almost 10 years.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 12-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

And she has done something that really endears her to me, she has rescued dogs and brought them into her home and loved and cared for them. That says something about a person's soul and heart, and as for the events earlier in life, it take 2 people to destroy a marriage, not 1, as they always say there are 2 sides to every story.

So whatever Charles wants her to be, then it will be regardless of what anyone else thinks or wants. Charles is going to be one very strong intelligent king someday and I hope that all of the people in the country give him the chance he deserves. I know I would if I lived in England, after all if the people in England had what we have here and they would run for the hills.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
And she has done something that really endears her to me, she has rescued dogs and brought them into her home and loved and cared for them. That says something about a person's soul and heart, and as for the events earlier in life, it take 2 people to destroy a marriage, not 1, as they always say there are 2 sides to every story.

So whatever Charles wants her to be, then it will be regardless of what anyone else thinks or wants. Charles is going to be one very strong intelligent king someday and I hope that all of the people in the country give him the chance he deserves. I know I would if I lived in England, after all if the people in England had what we have here and they would run for the hills.
I have to admit that the first incident of Camilla making a public appearance somewhere (can't remember exactly where it was) and the report following that she had adopted the dog she met, warmed my heart to the core. I've always noticed that when Camilla is pictured with any kind of an animal, you can tell they trust and take to her right off. She seems to have the same effect of the people that she meets. She's warm, friendly and doesn't mind a joke or two and puts people very much at ease. My kind of person.

I also have to believe that when Charles does become King, he will be a strong and intelligent one like you said but also a very happy king as he's got a pretty good support system by his side.
― John Lennon
Old 12-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

I have heard over the years that when people meet Camilla, they are surprised at how nice and friendly she is and not how they imagined her to be. It is all too easy to focus on the negatives about someone and ignore the positives and I do firmly believe that there is much to like about Camilla!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post

As a Canadian I kind of resent this mentality. The public opinion of the British is not the only one that counts in this regards, at least not currently - while the opinions of many other countries may not be all that important, Charles is in line to the throne of 16 realms, not 1, and the opinion of the Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, etc, is just as important as that of the British - or at least should be, so long as we maintain our ties with the monarchy.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

However as our constitutions are currently set up we have less say than the British as it is simply that we borrow their Head of State as our own.

In Australia for instance Camilla will be given the same titles that she has in the UK but they won't be 'of Australia'. e.g. The Duke of Edinburgh is treated as HRH The Duke of Edinburgh here and as the consort of the Head of State but he isn't regarded as an Australian whereas The Queen is Queen of Australia but only the monarch holds that distinction so Charles will be King of Australia but Camilla would be The Queen of the UK and treated as Charles' consort but not hold the title of Queen (Consort) of Australia.

I think Canada might be different in that Canada actually treats all the royal family as being 'of Canada' as well but we don't.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
A king shouldn't be on the hook

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-09-2014, 01:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
However as our constitutions are currently set up we have less say than the British as it is simply that we borrow their Head of State as our own.

In Australia for instance Camilla will be given the same titles that she has in the UK but they won't be 'of Australia'. e.g. The Duke of Edinburgh is treated as HRH The Duke of Edinburgh here and as the consort of the Head of State but he isn't regarded as an Australian whereas The Queen is Queen of Australia but only the monarch holds that distinction so Charles will be King of Australia but Camilla would be The Queen of the UK and treated as Charles' consort but not hold the title of Queen (Consort) of Australia.

I think Canada might be different in that Canada actually treats all the royal family as being 'of Canada' as well but we don't.
Canada has an official Royal Family and recognizes members of the Canadian Royal Family to be Canadian (although there has been debate as to whether that means that they're actual citizens or just honourary citizens). I don't think, beyond the Queen, they're officially "of Canada" in the same way that they're "of the United Kingdom", as Canadian titles don't seem to work that way (beyond the Queen); like the Australians we tend to just recognize them with their British titles. However, I'm not entirely sure if that would extend to the wife of a King. I'm not entirely sure if King George VI was officially "King of Canada" in the same sense that the Queen is now "Queen of Canada", and as such I'm not certain if his title extended to his wife in a typical fashion. To me it would make sense; the King of the United Kingdom's wife is the Queen of the United Kingdom, so it would reason that the King of Canada's wife would also be the Queen of Canada. But I'm not sure what the precedent was; I'm inclined to think that the idea that the monarch is separately monarch of each of the realms is something that only came about during the Queen's reign.

That said, my initial point still stands. Even if Camilla holds no further standing in the realms outside of Britain than being the wife of the future king, the public opinion in the realms still counts - we still matter. If we don't like Camilla, if we don't like the idea of her being the wife of our king when the time comes then it's only going to serve to fracture the already tender relationship between the realms and the monarchy. The whole idea that the Australian or Canadian or whoever public opinion isn't as important as the British one is, in my opinion, a huge part of why you see such a strong republican movement in some of the realms - if the RF was actually making the Australians feel like they were as important as the Brits, do you really think so many Australians would be wanting a republic? Personally, I don't think that my opinion towards the wife of my future king is one that doesn't count or is comparable to that of the opinion of an individual who lives in a country that has no actual connection to the monarchy, which is what I felt that wyevale was implying.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion