Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
has the public opinuion of camilla changes sine the marrige

I think so, people seem to recognise the fact that she dearly loves and supports Prince Charles and they in turn respect her for that.

Josefine said:
has the public opinuion of camilla changes sine the marrige

Definately in the UK. As more people have met her, spoken to her and watched her, they realise that most of what was written about her and said about her was just vindictiveness.
Even the story about rolls being thrown at her was untrue.:(

She still gets nervous, you can tell, which I think is cute in the sense it shows the normal side of her...the one which she is still learning and does not want to put a wrong foot forward. She did a great job in the States...very warm and genuine.

You can notice when she is nervous. She still has a shaky royal wave but I think that will become more confident in time. I liked when she walked off the red carpet and stayed behind while the president, prince and first lady walked inside. I thought that was funny. At least she has a humour and doesnt get to upset over mistakes.

Princejonnhy25 said:
You can notice when she is nervous. She still has a shaky royal wave but I think that will become more confident in time. I liked when she walked off the red carpet and stayed behind while the president, prince and first lady walked inside. I thought that was funny. At least she has a humour and doesnt get to upset over mistakes.

I think I would get nervous, apparently she got death threats before the wedding.
Everyone seems to say she has an absolutely wicked sense of humour and is certainly able to laugh at herself.
The first complaints about her were that she didn't give the media many shots, so I think she had been told to keep looking and smiling at the cameras, hence the wobble.
I think she is divinely human!:)

On Tuesday night Barbara Walters presented her 10 Most Fascinating People of the Year and Camilla was voted the most fascinating person.

In her summary, she seemed to have implied that it was a masterful PR move by Prince Charles to slowly gain public trust and respect for Camilla that culminated in their wedding, from getting William and Harry to publicly support Camilla, then having Camilla accompany Charles on public engagements, then the Queen's approval for the engagement, and post wedding, gaining momentum in public support.

Though her other choices this year were questinable (Dakota Fanning) I find it surprising that she would pick Camilla since in the hours after Diana's death Barbara came on the air saying what a good friend of Diana's she was. It seems disloyal to me not that I think they were as good friends as she would like the public to believe, but no doubt a calculated move by Barbara to later gain access to Charles and Camilla in the future.

It seems though that even though those who were "loyal" to Diana weren't as loyal as she thought they were. In life they sold her secrets to the media and in death it's even worst. What is making it even more noticeable is how none of Camilla's friends seem to be selling her out and talking publicly about her relationship with Charles over the last 30 years and since the wedding.

The more Diana's former friends publicly speak out about her and the more unstable she seems, the more down to earth, stable and steady Camilla seems.

For the last 30 years Camilla never spoke out about Charles or Diana or any of their relationships. A lot of nasty things were said about Camilla (mostly from Diana's camp with nicknames like the Rottweiler), but Camilla herself and her confidantes never spoke. Now that the public is seeing her in action and seeing snippets of her personality and what Constantine of Greece said as her "wicked sense of humour" I think they are beginning to see what Charles sees in her and loves about her.

I think that in the beginning many things were orchestrated by St. James' Palace to put Camilla in a positive light. But since the wedding, Camilla has been holding her own and the PR bus can be rolled back to the garage.

Ultimately I think the monarchists just want this relationship to work out and there to be a cease fire on all the drama the royal family has experienced the last two decades. The public probably doesn't mind the drama and the scandal as they are fun, but there is something for this story to have a happy ending. The tabloids and the paprazzi are probably the biggest losers in all this as a happy and scandal free Charles and Camilla is hardly anything to splash on the front page.

I do think the soap opera days are gone. I had always wondered why Charles has suffered for more than 30 years for this women. Why he loved her so much. And now that we are seeing the real Camilla we are beginging to understand why Charles has been in love with this women for so long and that the people are slowly falling for her too. Not because of her looks, glamour and jewels. But for who she is.

camilla is acepted but the british people, no question abuot this, she is married (I can said like is her life with the royal family because i don't know that) but I am not sure about if camilla is loved for the people. is a big diference to be acepted and to be loved. camilla is a very important factor in charles's life and the public acepted that. is good.

Princejonnhy25 said:
I do think the soap opera days are gone. I had always wondered why Charles has suffered for more than 30 years for this women. Why he loved her so much. And now that we are seeing the real Camilla we are beginging to understand why Charles has been in love with this women for so long and that the people are slowly falling for her too. Not because of her looks, glamour and jewels. But for who she is.

Yes I think that is the key to Camilla's hold on the public. She isn't glamorous or a clothes horse or fashion model material.

She is just a humble, down to earth country girl who loves her man very much for all of his faults and is tirelessly supportive of him.

Whether you like Diana or not, you have to admire these qualities in Camilla. Transfer them to anyone else and they would be admirable qualities, so I don't see why they should be different just because they are traits possessed by Camilla.

camilla is acepted but the british people, no question abuot this, she is married (I can said like is her life with the royal family because i don't know that) but I am not sure about if camilla is loved for the people. is a big diference to be acepted and to be loved. camilla is a very important factor in charles's life and the public acepted that. is good.

I dont think the public loves her yet but as a I said they are slowly falling for her for the same reasons Charles has loved her for so long. I have a question for you Corazon, Why are you so afraid to like Camilla? Everytime something good and admirable is said about her you always have some sort of excuse to counter it. It may be a personal question but it might help me understand why so many people are afraid to like her or wont give her a chance.

corazon said:

Yes there is a difference between being loved and being accepted by the people. But keep in mind that nobody ever thought that Camilla would be accepted and 8 months on after her wedding Camilla has very much been accepted and people do welcome her whenever she comes around by herself or with Charles for royal engagements.

In time I think Camilla will be very much loved by the British people. She brings different qualities and assets to the table than Diana did but I think in this day and age of excess, the dramatics and theatrics Diana tended to resort to is not something the public wants. Camilla will bring a more quiet and behind the scenes approach to her role as Princess of Wales and Queen and I think the public will appreciate that.

I already appreciate that she isn't trying to be another Diana and that she is just being herself, warts and all and letting the public warm up to her on their own rather than some sweeping gesture or move on her part that would just seem desperate.

Barbara Walters is a good journalist but she tends to gravitate towards celebrities who are in the news at the time.

I don't think of Camilla as particularly fascinating herself but the controversy around her definitely is.

Princejonnhy25 said:
I dont think the public loves her yet but as a I said they are slowly falling for her for the same reasons Charles has loved her for so long. I have a question for you Corazon, Why are you so afraid to like Camilla? Everytime something good and admirable is said about her you always have some sort of excuse to counter it. It may be a personal question but it might help me understand why so many people are afraid to like her or wont give her a chance.

I try to be the more clear possible, I am not scared to camilla, I do not respect her as person (is a personal opinion,) I say what I see. all the new is exitante, the public did not know to camilla because she never had public exhibition likeherself, ever she was ''the another women'', now she is married and the world is beginning to know the real camilla, she possibly has many qualities, all the human beings we have them and all we also have defects.
if she is loved and adored for the british people is good for her, she is the unique person that charles loves in his life, she is very important en his life and its ok, may be the camilla we know was the real camilla, she love the country, the horses etc, but now she is a prince's wife and need a more ''feminine image'' and she have many people work for her and she some times look relayy very nice. she is herself, not is a ''fashion'' person but she is like she is, is a old women, not have a perfect body (nobody have one ha ha) but she is doing well her actual job like a royal family's member.
but like I said before, the public don't lnow camilla before the mariage and now the public see that she not is the devil, is a person like any other, charles is happy (i don't said my opinion about this because are very personal), the boys have heir own life and camilla is here, nobody can change that.
But, again, to be acepted is diferent to be loved. the public and the media accepted to camilla, but to be love is another thing.
she have her life, all of us have a life, she not is important for my, if tomorrow camilla have a gold's monument is good for her. I said the thing like I see, all have diferent ideas abuot all. for many people camilla is a BIG person, for many anothers not. the real world not only are good and bads and ever the the good win, the real world in another thing, want that people say to us single what we want to listen not have sense.

Last edited:
Genevieve said:
I already appreciate that she isn't trying to be another Diana and that she is just being herself, warts and all and letting the public warm up to her on their own rather than some sweeping gesture or move on her part that would just seem desperate.

camilla some time try to be another diana?

george VI was a BIG king, he was a very respetd person in UK. but not was ''adored'' for the public, very respeted yes, for my was a really big king, very little member sof the royal family were loved, victoria I was VERY loved. i said again, to be loved and to be accepted or respetd are very diferent things.

corazon said:
camilla some time try to be another diana?

Camilla has never tried to be like Diana. That is precisely why I like her so.

:) ok, of course are diferent persons.

corazon said:
:) ok, of course are diferent persons.

I think Charles likes that they are very different people too. I doubt he would've married Camilla if she were just like Diana. Then he would've just stayed married to Diana and avoided all that scandal altogether.

Camilla is now loved by a growing number of the UK public, just not in the showbiz/celebrity way that we had with Diana.

It's kind of funny watching some of the new documentaries on Camilla. Some of the journalists who gained their own notoriety covering Diana, are going out of their way to appear to be fair in what they say about Camilla now, especially James Whitaker. I think the fact that she is a member of the royal family brought over some people who are more in awe of royalty.

It could be that they are hypocrits or that they actually like the real Camilla. Maybe they were won over the same way many others have been. Then again they are probably just being nice to try and get close to her which will never happen. Camilla is good on keeping her trap shut.

I don't know if I'd call them hypocrits since I don't believe these people ever had any principles to stand on. It just exposes them as opportunists and knowing which side their bread will be buttered from now on, switch gears and sucking up to Charmilla.

ksenia said:
hopocrits all of them!
I agree. But they were hypocrite too when they were insanely lauding Diana and selling her as a can't-do-no-wrong Saint. As media people, they certainly already knew the Diana the public discovered after her dead.
Journalist, well the bad ones (and they are numerous) are only interested in their sale volume. They did firmly camped by Diana's side when it was profitable to do so. Now they try to turn Camilla in what she is not for the same exact reasons.
The loser in this game is the public, as clearly British people deserve better.

Edit: Just read your comments Incas. My exact thoughts.

Princejonnhy25 said:
It could be that they are hypocrits or that they actually like the real Camilla. Maybe they were won over the same way many others have been. Then again they are probably just being nice to try and get close to her which will never happen. Camilla is good on keeping her trap shut.

I think they all have a grudging respect for Camilla, now that they have actually met her.:)

Idriel said:
The loser in this game is the public, as clearly British people deserve better.

Sadly, it is the public who buy the papers and magazines, which is then seen by the reporters/photographers as confirmation of public wants and support.

Skydragon said:
Camilla is now loved by a growing number of the UK public, just not in the showbiz/celebrity way that we had with Diana.

This doesn't surprise me. I always suspected that because people never knew Camilla they never had the opportunity to judge for themselves whether she was an agreeable person or not.

During the eighties and nineties heyday of Diana fever, it was necessary to have a "bad" person so that Diana could seem more pure and more good. Camilla was the obvious choice. She became a scapegoat in order for Diana to be elevated.

Now there is no Diana as a contrast so Camilla is free to be herself. I think people are pleasantly surprised by what a nice person Camilla is and she is charming them with her own style and presence.

It's interesting - I remember reading somewhere that people were surprised when they met the Duchess of Windsor to find that she was a perfectly pleasant and well-mannered woman who knew how to behave in society and was good at putting people at their ease. From the propaganda, you'd think she was an out-of-control harpy. The same thing seems to have been true of Camilla.

Camilla surely has an inner beauty to attract Prince Charles for so many years. Now people can have more opportunies to see Charles' point. People will learn to see a true Camilla not a Camilla painted by the taboilds which is wonderful. Camilla has own good qualities to make people like to meet. Camilla will be proved as an asset to Charles and to the monarchy. She is a nice person by heart. It was a tragedy that Charles and Camilla cannot see the strength of their love to their life and Charles was too indecivisive to make his commitment. Truely happy to see the way people value her.

Last edited:
Looking at some of the old pictures of Camilla, I think she was a very attractive woman in her youth. There is a certain joie de vive about her in the pictures. It wasn't like she was an ugly duckling and only recently repackaged to become presentable.

Back
Top Bottom