The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Blow for Camilla as new poll shows majority of Britons want the Prince of Wales on the throne next... but say she should only become Princess Consort | Daily Mail Online

Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Courtier

I looked at YouGov's site and the most recent poll I found showed that 52% of the people wanted the Duchess of Cornwall to be Queen.

Can anyone show me this new poll?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

We need to remember that the accession takes place immediately on the death of the reigning monarch by common law and this means Camilla instantly becomes Queen when Charles becomes King. There is no in-between period, Camilla goes from being the Duchess of Cornwall to Queen Consort.

The proclamation of the new monarch itself does not make the sovereign or effect the accession. It is just window dressing and theatre. Charles will be King the instant HM passes and Camilla will instantly be Queen
Old 11-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

It has been an interesting argument, and vehement at some phases, but as my Mother just passed away, suddenly, I think of my grandmother's expression Man plans and God laughs. All this angst, one or the other may not be alive at that time. No one knows. The polls, as I see it, as just there in case they have to make a quick decision, as to which will be more popular.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I don’t think the point of princess consort isn’t that Camilla isn’t queen. Because she will be. As far as I know they choose the title princess consort because of Diana and people’s perception of Charles’ second marriage. The fact that Camilla wants to use the title princess consort doesn’t make her less of a queen. She merely chooses to use a different title. As far as I’m concerned (not that I have any say in the matter) she can choose whatever title she wants.
I feel the same way. Camilla may want the 'lesser' title for her own reasons, if she has a preference. 'Queen' may connote something she is not willing to claim for herself, maybe. Or it may be in deference to what will have then become the most recent Queen. In one case she didn't want to echo Diana, in another she doesn't want to echo Elizabeth. An idea, anyway. Camilla may not care any which way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Prince Philip is merely an HRH and not an HM, and he does not curtsy to other monarchs or consorts, so I doubt if Camilla (should she be Princess Consort) will.
I doubt she will curtsey because of her age. Can I say that? Is there allowances made for age? Those curtsies look hard to execute. Camilla doesn't strike me as someone who is hitting the gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Those who support the idea of Princess Consort seem to be either those who are fans of Diana (and often seem to still hold a grudge) or are those who will support the BRF regardless of what they're doing.
I'd say I'm for it (were my view to matter) if this is what Camilla wants, and I could see Camilla having reasons for wanting it so. Wouldn't it be fascinating if Camilla made it a condition: "Yes, Charles, I'll marry you but you must promise me there will be none of that Queen-Your-Majesty stuff." With her sense of humor, who knows?
Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I doubt she will curtsey because of her age. Can I say that? Is there allowances made for age? Those curtsies look hard to execute. Camilla doesn't strike me as someone who is hitting the gym.
She's a horsewoman though, and an outdoor enthusiast.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Majesty

[Do the Continental princes and princesses curtsey to Charlene of Monaco? Or Maria of Liechtenstein, or Maria Teresa of Luxembourg? None of them are Queen Consorts, but they're all the consorts of the head of state of their respective realms]// quote

Hi Ish, Camilla did indeed curtsy to Maria-Teresa of Luxembourg. It happened when the two women met at QEII's Jubilee luncheon a few years back. MT held out her arms to Camilla to embrace her, but Camilla bobbed a quick curtsy before returning the gesture.

It's all on video. Perhaps youtube? Technically Camilla was supposed to curtsy to Charlene as well, but I've no idea if she did or not.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Cris M, please look at the post above yours. The poll came out this month.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Cris M, please look at the post above yours. The poll came out this month.
The post above mine shows a Daily Mail article that talks about a poll I can't find at YouGov's site.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Royal Highness

We'll have to wait and see, but I think Camilla will be Queen Consort.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

May be not posted on the site yet. We're still only at the beginning of the month. The Daily Fail would hardly report a non-existent poll involving a respected company.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

When Charles is crowned it will be an unprecedented event, a divorced monarch with a divorced second wife. Unique in the history of the British royals.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Commoner

Curryong, in the Daily mail article, is There a link that takes you straight to YouGov's website and shows this poll, the Daily mail states the poll is by YouGov, where is the proof on their website? it only shows the one in June 2014 is the current one which 52% wanted Camilla as Queen consort, why will it all go back to the 16% which was two or three years ago results.

I don't believe this poll is accurate, the Daily Mail is obviously known for making up lies and creating articles for hits, this article is one of it. Also I remember in 2012, they recycled an article in 2005, which was about the Duchess choosing not to be Queen consort, they had a whole lot of comments for it.

It's what the Daily mail wants..and of course a negative article about Camilla will provide it. It's a tabloid after all..this is how it works and sadly some people believe it.

Again where is this poll on YouGov's website, The Daily mail should put a link there? YouGov would have posted this before the Daily mail, how come they are the only website with the results.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
It has been an interesting argument, and vehement at some phases, but as my Mother just passed away, suddenly, I think of my grandmother's expression Man plans and God laughs. All this angst, one or the other may not be alive at that time. No one knows. The polls, as I see it, as just there in case they have to make a quick decision, as to which will be more popular.
COUNTESS, I am very sad to read about the loss of your mother. I hope her life was long and full.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Serene Highness

Even 52% support for Camilla as Queen isn't a lot, though. I think she's still fairly unpopular.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:56 PM
Commoner

52% might not be much, but's its a big rise from the 7% who wanted her to be Queen in 2005, and 16 or 17% who wanted her to be queen three years ago... and considering the media/public scorn many years ago or now on her, 52% is a very big rise because I never thought it would happen.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
When Charles is crowned it will be an unprecedented event, a divorced monarch with a divorced second wife. Unique in the history of the British royals.
How about Henry VIII? And I suppose the 'convenient death' of a spouse in order for the widowed lady to be available to the king to marry doesn't count? I for one am heartened to know that Mr Parker-Bowles still lives.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I know about Henry VIII and his multiple spouses! And I'm sure Andrew PB is very glad, he's alive, too! I was just pointing out that, with the future Queen Consort divorced too, we have a unique set of circumstances here.

While I am sure that the memory of the widespread mourning for Diana was the primary reason for the 'grey men' to put forward the Princess Consort proposal, how do we know that the Archbishop of Canterbury wasn't consulted?

If he agreed perhaps that Princess Dowager rather than Queen was the way to go, he might also have suggested changes to the Coronation ceremony.

After all, Charles and Camilla weren't married in an Anglican but a civil ceremony with a religious blessing afterwards.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

You guys are forgetting Eleanor of Acquitaine. She married Louis VII of France, had a less than happy marriage, allegedly had an incestuous relationship with her uncle, then finally was able to make him divorce her despite even the pope trying to push for a reconciliation, then asked the future Henry II to marry her a grand total of eight weeks after the annulment of her first marriage. She then became Queen of England 2 years later on the ascension of her second husband, some 30 years before her first husband's death. She would then later on encourage her sons from her second marriage to openly revolt against her second husband/their father.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
You guys are forgetting Eleanor of Acquitaine. She married Louis VII of France, had a less than happy marriage, allegedly had an incestuous relationship with her uncle, then finally was able to make him divorce her despite even the pope trying to push for a reconciliation, then asked the future Henry II to marry her a grand total of eight weeks after the annulment of her first marriage. She then became Queen of England 2 years later on the ascension of her second husband, some 30 years before her first husband's death. She would then later on encourage her sons from her second marriage to openly revolt against her second husband/their father.
At the risk of a slight thread-nap, I do believe Eleanor and Louis had some pretty steamy nights at the beginning of their marriage. After all, both were teenagers and purportedly quite decent looking, the both of them.

The Pope aided and abetted the idea of divorce by casting it about that Eleanor and Louis were cousins and too close to be legitimately married. The Pope gave it as the cause for them not conceiving a son and heir (as I recall).

The royal past is so scandalous I can't believe that anyone would compare the relatively tame current 'scandals' to the raucous yonder years. Charles and Camilla are paragons by comparison.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion