The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Heir Apparent

The Human Rights Act doesn't explicitly say the marriage between Charles and Camilla is legal. That is the opinion of Lord Falconer, others just as learned such as the opinion of Lord Lyell of Mary-yate, the Attorney-General at the time of Charles's and Diana's divorce say it isn't lawful

Only a court can decide this

Old 11-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Serene Highness

Rudolph..

Do you seriously think the High Court will judge the marriage of the Head of State illegal ?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm just stating there are people out there that think the marriage isn't lawful. I first mentioned this as a reason behind why Charles continues on the Princess Consort line. Maybe he doubts the legality of his marriage
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Human Rights legislation says that everyone has the right to marry - that is clear.

The AG's opinion at the time of the divorce is irrelevant as that was BEFORE the Human Rights Act was passed in 1998. The situation today has to be viewed in the light of current legislation and not on the situation before that legislation. Before the legislation it was definitely not possible for Charles to make a civil marriage and so the AG at the time of the divorce was correct but that was in 1996 two years before the legislation was passed which changed the situation.

If you have names of constitutional experts who claim that later legislation doesn't override earlier one I suggest that they check their legal qualifications. There have been a number of marriage laws passed in the UK that relate to the royal family but none of them can take precedence of the Human Rights Act which is the latest act to relate to marriage.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Lord Lyell of Mary-yate gave his opinion in 2005 and he is more familiar with the Human Rights Act than anyone of us commenting on it
Old 11-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

At the time of Lord Falconer's statement his view was vigorously contested by experts in family law and was widely regarded as an attempt to circumnavigate the law that was typical of Tony Blair's government.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Princess Consort would be a demotion from her current title, wouldn't it? (Please, only UK people (and ILUVBertie) answer. I can see no reason why she shouldn't be Queen Consort.
Talk about skewing the poll results! ;-P
Old 11-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
At the time of Lord Falconer's statement his view was vigorously contested by experts in family law and was widely regarded as an attempt to circumnavigate the law that was typical of Tony Blair's government.
Yes, I remember this discussion clearly.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm just trying to find a logical explanation as to why Charles and Camilla don't want her to be Queen and the legality over the marriage comes to mind.

The official reason of Camilla doesn't "want" to be Queen isn't good enough. If she doesn't want to be Queen she shouldn't have married the Prince of Wales
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

It's not like you have children involved who may or may not be in the line of succession based on the legality of their marriage.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm just trying to find a logical explanation as to why Charles and Camilla don't want her to be Queen and the legality over the marriage comes to mind.

The official reason of Camilla doesn't "want" to be Queen isn't good enough. If she doesn't want to be Queen she shouldn't have married the Prince of Wales
Well it can't be the legality of the marriage because the marriage is legal. Admittedly the mechanism causing the marriage to be legal is not a solidly bound piece of legislation, but that is not unusual when instituting laws. Looking back, it would have been useful for the HRA to have stated that it covers members of the royal family, but the very lack of such wording allows fluidity in its interpretation either positively or negatively, which, again, is often found in British law.
No official reason was ever given concerning the Princess Consort title or indeed the Cornwall title. It was just stated that that would be the case. As such, the media - closely followed by the public - made their own minds up as to what the reason might be and no further word has ever officially been made about it.

I realise it is not quite good enough, but it will have to do I'm afraid!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Serene Highness

“It is intended that The Duchess will be known as HRH The Princess Consort when The Prince of Wales accedes to The Throne.”

Whatever the reasons for this statement having been made- it was made and will be remembered- particularly if it is later shown to have been just meaningless words to be ignored. Presumably such a statement was carefully considered before it was made.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think its clear Camilla's rehabilitation isn't complete or her numbers would be higher
Well, if Camilla needs "rehabilitation" for supposed sexual sin, we have to be fair and recognise that so too do Charles, William & Catherine, Harry, Andrew &, Sarah, Beatrice, Eugenie, Anne & Tim, Peter & Autumn, Zara & Mike, Edward & Sophie . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
The DM article refers to a poll by YouGov, but if i try to find it on that website the most recent one on the topic is one from june where most people who were asked then said that Camilla *could* become queen

Camilla can become 'Queen', say public

bit confused now...
This poll is the result of the use of a selective, online poll, skewed to get a controversial result and thus sell more papers, or gain more online subscribers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
There is NO PROVISION in British law for a wife to be denied 'the rank and title of her Husband'. To alter that would be a major change, for it would have to apply to ALL married women [if applied to Camilla alone it would be discrimnatory, and subject to challenge under 'Human Rights' legislation].

Will the govt [of the day] really want to open that particular can of worms, in the immediate aftermath of the death of a much loved monarch, and at a time of near universal mourning ?

I really don't think so...
No the government would not. But I think there are a whole bunch of whackos who would think nothing of throwing trash at Charles in a funeral cortege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
I am more worried about future wives than Camilla. It could be the end of all Queen consorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I really don't think so. No one is questioning Catherine's future titles or George's future wife titles. It's all about Camilla and her future title.
So am I because whilst no one in the BRF would go to the HRC or European Courts, there are definitely others that would. It would set a precedence that could definitely cause a ruckus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Every wife of a King has been a Queen. Why create a lower title for Camilla? If she going to do the duties of a Queen, be the highest ranked woman in the land, she should be Queen.

It would be different if Camilla married Charles but didn't perform any royal duties and lived as a private citizen.

Also if you are going to argue morality because of the adultery, then neither Charles or Camilla or most of the previous Kings should be on the throne.
But being fair and logical, adultery is 'Sexual Sin' which would disqualify both his brothers, his sister and his heir and spare.

It is a point of peculiar interest to me that people, many of whom have never set foot in a church, mosque, temple or such, and have never studied the tenets of these faiths, can be so bloody minded and unforgiving.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Anglican I believe God forgives, so who am I that I should not. The faith teaches forgiveness and that should be the end of it. That it is not merely proves to me that the spirit of the inquisition, the witch finders and burners, is still a living breathing nightmare.

And, if that doesn't scare you nothing will.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
“It is intended that The Duchess will be known as HRH The Princess Consort when The Prince of Wales accedes to The Throne.”

Whatever the reasons for this statement having been made- it was made and will be remembered- particularly if it is later shown to have been just meaningless words to be ignored. Presumably such a statement was carefully considered before it was made.
I totally agree.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Talk about skewing the poll results! ;-P
No - KittyAtlanta is simply asking for people who know based on being governed by the laws of the country concerned.

I am assuming that I am being included due to the perception on here that I know a lot about these things (based no doubt on the fact that I have indicated in the past that I have researched at a high university level aspects of the British royal family, have friends of my father's who are constitutional experts, have friends who are involved at high levels within the Anglican Church).
Old 11-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think the statement about Camilla being Princess Consort rather than Queen Consort was made casually. On the contrary. I believe it was made by Charles's advisers/ the 'grey men' at the Palace, simply because of Diana.

There was an unprecedented show of grief by the British public at her death as we all know.

(I am Australian-based but UK born and bred, have relatives there and often go back.)

I wandered about among the crowds in London in the days before the funeral and I have to tell you, as a monarchist, I found a bitterness about the royal family's treatment of Diana in the comments I overheard, and what was said about Charles and Camilla, that was certainly not pretty!

The reaction to Diana's death took the royal family by surprise and the shock reverberated through the Palace advisers. At the time of Charles and Camilla's marriage the Palace, I believe, remained cautious. Camilla would not be Princess of Wales. That title was too closely associated with Diana.

The title 'Princess Consort' was put forward, in my opinion, in the same spirit of caution. There are still many Britons, now getting older but still present in large numbers, who identified with Diana and dislike Charles and Camilla because of it. These tend to be females in their forties and fifties who perhaps married and had children at the same time as Diana, or who felt for her in her troubles.

It depends of course, on exactly when Charles is crowned. If it is in another another ten or so years, then the feeling against Camilla becoming Queen Consort may well be negligible. This is no doubt what Charles and his advisers will hope for.

If the Queen died tomorrow and Charles and Camilla were crowned King and Queen next year I doubt that there would be riots in front of Buckingham Palace because of it. However, there is still a sector of the British public remaining, who don't want Camilla to be crowned Queen because of the circumstances of Charles's first marriage.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Charles opened the door to this. No one would have ever thought to not have a British Queen except for the fact Charles brought it up in the first place.

No one to blame but himself
I've always had the idea that this might have been at Camilla's request. I can't imagine Charles doing this, a possible slight, without Camilla being agreeable.

Camilla seems a very intuitive sort and not particularly wrapped up in titles. I, of course, don't know her but Camilla may have thought this was the best way to take on the role of Charles' wife, even in deference to Diana. Camilla is a mature woman with nothing to prove. This may have been her way of being sensitive to Diana, and even her step-sons' feelings. It suggests that she may carry her role as his wife when he is King in a different way, perhaps, too.

All speculation, of course, but it's always nested in the back of my mind that this is Camilla's doing, not Charles'. No matter which of them initiated this gesture, I think it's a noble thing. Good for them.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I really don't think so. No one is questioning Catherine's future titles or George's future wife titles. It's all about Camilla and her future title.
But it could definitely set a precedent. Imagine if you will ... twenty years from now, the aged, much-beloved Princess Camilla, Princess Consort, who has gone above and beyond the expectations of even the highest-minded Briton -- and served the UK as well as any sovereign's consort could have dreamed to do. By this time, some of HM's subjects could even be expressing regret that Camilla was never allowed the honor of being known as Queen Consort.

The discussion of the day then becomes that for Catherine to be known as Queen Consort is somehow a slap in the face of Princess Camilla, so the court of public opinion convinces the "grey men" of the day to acquiesce and announce that Catherine will be known as Princess Consort, out of respect of the memory of Princess Camilla, consort to our most beloved King Charles III.

And so it continues ...
Old 11-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not dismissing anyone's opinion but to say the Human Rights Act settles the matter of Charles marriage isn't accurate.

Nicholas Lyell, Baron Lyell of Markyate was the Attorney-General at the time of Charles's and Diana's divorce and he raised doubts about a civil wedding in 2005.

He is highly educated studying at Christ Church Oxford. Lyell trained with the firm associated with his stepmother's family, Walter Runciman and Co, and was called to the bar at Inner Temple in 1965

He served as both Solicitor General and Attorney General. If he has doubts then I don't think the matter is settled
Old 11-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
But it could definitely set a precedent. Imagine if you will ... twenty years from now, the aged, much-beloved Princess Camilla, Princess Consort, who has gone above and beyond the expectations of even the highest-minded Briton -- and served the UK as well as any sovereign's consort could have dreamed to do. By this time, some of HM's subjects could even be expressing regret that Camilla was never allowed the honor of being known as Queen Consort.

The discussion of the day then becomes that for Catherine to be known as Queen Consort is somehow a slap in the face of Princess Camilla, so the court of public opinion convinces the "grey men" of the day to acquiesce and announce that Catherine will be known as Princess Consort, out of respect of the memory of Princess Camilla, consort to our most beloved King Charles III.

And so it continues ...
Not going to happen. We can't say for certain what the future will hold but there's no doubt in my mind that Catherine will not only go by the title HRH The Princess of Wales but later she will be publically known as Her Majesty The Queen when William is on the throne.

It's a whole different case for Camilla. I think she'll be very happy with either title though. Camilla's main focus is on the job she's wanted all along. She fully support and loves Charles no matter what.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion