Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yes a very good job, and she had to give up her privacy... huge sacrifice she did for love !!!

A new YouGov poll about Camilla's popularity, showing 49% would like to see her take the title of Queen, down from 53% last year.

Half of British public now think Camilla should become Queen, according to new YouGov poll | Royal | News | Daily Express

So just less than half

As expected, these numbers have been consistently rising over the last decade. She has not put a foot wrong in her royal role, and I am sure the public, at large, appreciate that.

So just less than half

Almost half, as the article states. 35% still think Camilla should take a lesser title. Like shares, poll results can go up and down.

As expected, these numbers have been consistently rising over the last decade. She has not put a foot wrong in her royal role, and I am sure the public, at large, appreciate that.

The numbers actually fell from 53 % to 49 %. That decline is greater than the poll's margin of error.

The most significant news is that there is still considerable popular opposition to Camilla's becoming queen.

The numbers actually fell from 53 % to 49 %. That decline is greater than the poll's margin of error.

The most significant news is that there is still considerable popular opposition to Camilla's becoming queen.

No.
The most significant news is that in ten years the popularity of the Duchess of Cornwall has increased considerably. That's a fact.

Actually the numbers are within the margin of error. Yougov polls have a +/- 3 percentage points. That means that the actual results from last year could have been anywhere between 50-56%. The actual results from this year's poll could have been anywhere from 46-52%. So it could be that the 53% from last year was slightly high and this year's 49% is slightly low.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2011/11/21/understanding-margin-error/

Some fluctuation is normal. I can't think of any reason for her poll numbers would have taken a major hit in the last year.

Actually the numbers are within the margin of error. Yougov polls have a +/- 3 percentage points. That means that the actual results from last year could have been anywhere between 50-56%. The actual results from this year's poll could have been anywhere from 46-52%. So it could be that the 53% from last year was slightly high and this year's 49% is slightly low.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2011/11/21/understanding-margin-error/

Some fluctuation is normal. I can't think of any reason for her poll numbers would have taken a major hit in the last year.

There's also the fact that Catherine is pregnant and the Cambridges are probably polling rather high right now. In all likelihood, any surge in their popularity is going to result in a bit if a decline in popularity of Charles and Camilla.

There is also the possibility that some people opted for the lesser title choice because they may think that lesser title is what Camilla would prefer. She did choose to use the Duchess of Cornwall title over the Princess of Wales title and that may have factored in. :whistling:

There is also the possibility that some people opted for the lesser title choice because they may think that lesser title is what Camilla would prefer. She did choose to use the Duchess of Cornwall title over the Princess of Wales title and that may have factored in. :whistling:

As far as I understand, she didn't choose to be called "Duchess of Cornwall" rather than "Princess of Wales". That was Charles' (and maybe the Queen's ?) decision at the time to make his second marriage more acceptable to the British public.

If anything, the polls seem to suggest Camilla's alleged popularity surge has now peaked, and may well be receding. With nearly 40 % of the public still favo(u)ring a lesser title and another 10 % or so unsure about it, there is no way Charles will risk making her queen if or when he ascends the throne.

I've always thought these "how much do you love the royals" polls go up with major events, like the Jubilee and then tail off. I think this is just part of a general tail off.

Watch for the general upturn when HM becomes the longest reigning! :flowers:

I agree. Other than that, its live and let live. Camilla hasn't really put a foot wrong, has she? Charles' reign will be a short one in comparison so I guess many people tend to say why not, after all this time.

Well said Duke of Marmalade! I loved Diana and still do but I believe all the signs show William and Henry have moved on for their father and so should the public. Whoever has lead a perfect life cast the first stone.

I agree. Other than that, its live and let live. Camilla hasn't really put a foot wrong, has she? Charles' reign will be a short one in comparison so I guess many people tend to say why not, after all this time.

Well said. She has kept her counsel, got on with the royal job, supported Chareles and HMQ, maintained her own family life with her children and grandchildren - without putting a foot wrong.

She also seems to accept the royal life (with her own family life safeguarded) in a way that William is not. I think the public see that as well.

She also seems to accept the royal life (with her own family life safeguarded) in a way that William is not. I think the public see that as well.

Are you trying to say William does not accept the royal life, or is reluctant to take up royal duties ? I certainly don't see it that way and I don't think the public at large agrees with you either. BTW, William is far more popular than Camilla.

This poll should be scrapped.

First and foremost it is deliberately leading the public by asking should Camilla being given a lesser title because of Diana.

Let them ask the questions.
Should the monarchy remain?
If so, which members of the monarchy should be kept.
A similar poll was asked several months ago and Harry was voted out.

If they are going to ask the Diana question, ask it of Catherine and Camilla then compare the results.

Should the Duchess of Cornwall be given a lesser title of Princess Consort when her husband becomes King?
Should the Duchess of Cambridge be given a lesser title of Princess Consort when her husband becomes King?

Lets see what the results of asking the question without the deliberately leading?

Last edited:
Are you trying to say William does not accept the royal life, or is reluctant to take up royal duties ? I certainly don't see it that way and I don't think the public at large agrees with you either. BTW, William is far more popular than Camilla.

William is young with a pretty young wife, a cute young son and is the son of Diana - of course he's more popular than Camilla.

This poll should be scrapped.

First and foremost it is deliberately leading the public by asking should Camilla being given a lesser title because of Diana.

Let them ask the questions.
Should the monarchy remain?
If so, which members of the monarchy should be kept.
A similar poll was asked several months ago and Harry was voted out.

If they are going to ask the Diana question, ask it of Catherine and Camilla then compare the results.

Should the Duchess of Cornwall be given a lesser title of Princess Consort when her husband becomes King?
Should the Duchess of Cambridge be given a lesser title of Princess Consort when her husband becomes King?

Lets see what the results of asking the question without the deliberately leading?

Perhaps it would be a more interesting poll should the question be asked "Does your perception of Diana, Princess of Wales affect your answers? Yes or No".

Last edited:
Will Will and Kate be so mega popular as 55 year olds a couple of grown kids and most people have only distant memories of Diana? Seriously doubt it. I think their popularity has a lot more to do with freshness and attractiveness and baby appeal than anything to do with Camilla.

Osipi,
I think your question will also sway people to respond negatively.

The current question is worded:
In the UK, when a king is crowned his wife typically becomes queen consort. Thinking about if Prince Charles becomes king, which of the following comes closest to your view of his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall?

She should become queen consort, as is traditional for a reigning king’s wife in the UK

She should be given a lesser title, out of sensitivity to Diana, Princess of Wales

Don't know

If the question is asked without leading then you get a better idea.

1. Should the Duchess of Cornwall be given a lesser title of Princess Consort when her husband becomes King?
Yes or No
2. Why?

3. Should the Duchess of Cambridge be given a lesser title of Princess Consort when her husband becomes King?
Yes or No
Why?

:previous:

You're right. My question would be leading the more I think about it. Thanks!

The whole mess could have been avoided if Clarence House never made the statement of Camilla wanted to be know as the Princess Consort instead of Queen mess. They could have just skipped it.

If the question is asked about Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall? Then technically she is divorced from Charles or a widow so it then doesn't matter because her title isn't changing unless she remarries.

And why bring up Kate?

Legally when Charles is King, Camilla is Queen. The King can create her a Princess Consort if he wants but she is still Queen.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
The whole mess could have been avoided if Clarence House never made the statement of Camilla wanted to be know as the Princess Consort instead of Queen mess. They could have just skipped it.

If the question is asked about Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall? Then technically she is divorced from Charles or a widow so it then doesn't matter because her title isn't changing unless she remarries.

And why bring up Kate?

Legally when Charles is King, Camilla is Queen. The King can create her a Princess Consort if he wants but she is still Queen.

With hindsight, it is easy to make this statement. At the time of the engagement of Charles and Camilla, the public mood was very different from what it is at the moment. Memories of the "War of the Wales'" were still fresh, and people's perception of Camilla was less positive that what it is today.

This was probably a wise "concession" at the time.

The title of what Camilla would use when Charles is King didn't need to be address at the time of their marriage. They could explain why the DoC instead of PoW and just stopped there. Using the DoC title was the concession.

I'm no legal expert, but Clarence House understands otherwise. They issued a statement saying that there is no legal requirement that the consort of a reigning king be addressed as "queen". According to the statement, it is up to the king to decide his consort's title(s). Charles decided Camilla would be addressed as "princess consort" when he is king and I am pretty sure he won't go back on that decision, any poll notwithstanding.

Someone can hold a title which is his/hers by law but even is known with another style. That is true.

HRH Princess Louise of Wessex is, despite her rightful royal title by Letters Patent of 1917, known as Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor

HRH Prince James of Wessex is, despite his rightful royal title by Letters Patent of 1917, known as Lord James Mountbatten-Windsor, Viscount Severn.

When even persons who have a royal title by law can be "denied" their lawful title by birthright, then it can not be a problem to style persons whom hold a title by virtue of marriage differently. We see this with Camilla. When she is with Charles in Scotland, they are the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay (see example, click on the picture to expand). Outside Scotland there is suddenly a difference in titulature. Completely unneccesary and inconsequent. I would have loved it to speak about the Prince and Princess of Wales indeed.

Last edited:
Well said. She has kept her counsel, got on with the royal job, supported Charles and HMQ, maintained her own family life with her children and grandchildren - without putting a foot wrong.

Maybe your own option but is not reflected in the polls.

I realize you like C&C but William is light yeas ahead of Camilla in terms of POPULARITY

Maybe your own option but is not reflected in the polls.

I realize you like C&C but William is light yeas ahead of Camilla in terms of POPULARITY

Says nothing. Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands has never ever reached spot Number One of the most popular royal list in her country. Never as Heiress and never as Queen. This did not prevent her to become a most beloved and well-respected Queen. The same applies for lots of British royals.

Note that the formulating of the question is important. "Who is the most popular member of the royal family? Make a choice." When someone says "Prince Harry" or "Catherine" this can not be explained as: "Look: the Queen/the Prince of Wales/Prince Edward/whatever is unpopular. That is the wrong conclusion.

When I am asked to choose the car I most like and I can choose a Peugeot 208, a Citroën C3 or a Renault Clio, and I choose for the first one, this does not at all mean I do not like the Citröen or the Renault... on the contrary... give these cars to me, all three of them!

:lol:

Last edited:
A beautifully written article. I agree 100% with the author.

The Duchess of Cornwall has proved that she's a lovely, adorable, woman, an asset to the Monarchy. When the time comes, she'll be a great Queen, or Princess Consort, because the title doesn't really matter: she's amazing!

Camilla has won us over, and deserves to become Queen - Telegraph

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom