The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

It isnt 16% of the british public. Its 16% of those polled.

Does the article give size of the poll? Age split? Gender split? Any information of that type? I never just accept "polls"

Its irrelevant anyway.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Charles opened the door to this. No one would have ever thought to not have a British Queen except for the fact Charles brought it up in the first place.

No one to blame but himself

Old 11-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
It isnt 16% of the british public. Its 16% of those polled.

Does the article give size of the poll? Age split? Gender split? Any information of that type? I never just accept "polls"

Its irrelevant anyway.
As you may know, in a scientific poll, the percentages recorded in the sample reproduce, within the poll's margin of error, the actual percentages that would be found in the general population. That is BTW how election polls work: by interviewing 2,000 or so likely voters, it is possible to infer, with 95 % confidence and within a margin of error slightly over 2 %, the voting intention e.g. for a US presidential candidate in a total electorate as big as 120,000,000.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Charles opened the door to this. No one would have ever thought to not have a British Queen except for the fact Charles brought it up in the first place.

No one to blame but himself
Well, this assumes that Charles has changed his mind about the Princess Consort issue and wishes he had never said anything in the first place. But you are absolutely right, no one would ever have imagined the possibility of Camilla being Princess Consort had it not been floated by Clarence House all those years ago.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well, this assumes that Charles has changed his mind about the Princess Consort issue and wishes he had never said anything in the first place. But you are absolutely right, no one would ever have imagined the possibility of Camilla being Princess Consort had it not been floated by Clarence House all those years ago.
That "possibility" was not floated by accident. It was actually a precondition to make Camilla's marriage to Charles acceptable to the public and to the Royal Family itself.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That "possibility" was not floated by accident. It was actually a precondition to make Camilla's marriage to Charles acceptable to the public and to the Royal Family itself.
I would not use the term precondition, but it was certainly designed to soften the blow.

Lets not forget how much of a pariah Camilla was, in the minds of the British public, not that long ago, because of her presumed role in the break-up of the marriage of Charles and Diana. A lot of commentators considered them getting married quite a risky move, and Clarence House were unsure of what the public reaction might be. With that background, it was probably necessary to clarify that, on marrying the Prince of Wales, Camilla would not use the title of Princess of Wales as her primary title. Similarly, the notion of Princess Consort was created.

Nearly 10 years on, I think the situation is very different. She is widely accepted as a senior member of the BRF, and not really put a foot wrong in her royal life. She is also clearly at ease with most members of the Windsor family and is seen to be comfortably accepted by HM and the Wales boys. I have no doubt that in time, she will be Queen.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I think its clear Camilla's rehabilitation isn't complete or her numbers would be higher
Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think its clear Camilla's rehabilitation isn't complete or her numbers would be higher
I don't think Her Royal Highness needs rehabilitation, but the people who can't get over the death of a woman they never knew need to seek psychological treatment.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I just don't think the numbers will rise. If she was 40 years younger and was a fashionista, things might have been different.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
I don't think Her Royal Highness needs rehabilitation, but the people who can't get over the death of a woman they never knew need to seek psychological treatment.
I don't think Diana's death is what people can't get over. They can't get over the fact that Camilla was Charles' mistress at a time when he should have been establishing and solidifying his marriage and family life. Neither of them had the strength of character to avoid that particular temptation. I think most people like Camilla and are happy that she and Charles are happily married. But her right to be Queen is still apparently not a done deal for most people. The proposal that she would be Princess Consort would seem to be something that was 'said' rather than meant. Just like marriage vows which were said and not meant.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As you may know, in a scientific poll, the percentages recorded in the sample reproduce, within the poll's margin of error, the actual percentages that would be found in the general population. That is BTW how election polls work: by interviewing 2,000 or so likely voters, it is possible to infer, with 95 % confidence and within a margin of error slightly over 2 %, the voting intention e.g. for a US presidential candidate in a total electorate as big as 120,000,000.
I know all that but polls are just that - a small allegedly representative sample saying what they think at a moment in time.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Royal Highness

This kind of poll (and especially from the Mail let's face it) plays with the misconception that as HM the Queen Camilla will have the same rank as QEII and in some way will replace her. The notion of "Queen Consort" is of course quite blurred, sometimes in purpose ...
Old 11-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Looking back at the time before the marriage announcement was made, I cannot remember much about what was being debated in the media concerning Camilla's titles. I seem to remember marriage speculation was in the air and the fact that Camilla's position simply as Charles' companion was not good enough and that he should marry her.

But, who imposed the pre-condition? And if it was imposed by the royal family itself, then it should be stuck to and the press have no business or need to ask silly questions such as should Camilla be queen or princess consort.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:50 PM
Serene Highness

If the Wales 'boys' can get over it, why can't the general public ?
Either way they will not be consulted.

IF Camilla wishes to assume the title of Queen Consort, then she will be.. If she doesn't ways will have to be found to change a MILLENIUM of legal precedent [whereby a wife takes the rank and style of her husband].

I profoundly hope she doesn't insist on such a deleterious change, simply as a sop to those who cannot accept that adultery, and divorce are an everyday part of life [and people in all stations of life have these things happen to them], and that second marriages are EVERY bit as valid as first ones.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

The DM article refers to a poll by YouGov, but if i try to find it on that website the most recent one on the topic is one from june where most people who were asked then said that Camilla *could* become queen

Camilla can become 'Queen', say public

bit confused now...
Old 11-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

It is an online survey. you can volunteer to be part of their panel. Panel members do not get asked to contribute to every poll.

Obviously anyone who does not have online access is excluded.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Another thing is various constitutional experts as well as PM John Major's government stated that Charles couldn't be legally married in a civil ceremony. It was Lord Falconer under Tony Blair that gave the go ahead but some very learned minds still to this day say the marriage isn't legal.

Maybe Charles is hedging his bets with the whole Princess Consort thing. He may have an iota of doubt in the back of his mind and doesn't want anyone to challenge Camilla when he becomes king
Old 11-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
That is a much too simplistic view. You simply can't depict a majority (if the polls are to be believed) of the British people as nutcases.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
The DM article refers to a poll by YouGov, but if i try to find it on that website the most recent one on the topic is one from june where most people who were asked then said that Camilla *could* become queen

Camilla can become 'Queen', say public

bit confused now...
Me too and that is the problem with polls. Maybe it depends on how the question is being asked. Mention "as is tradition" in the question and most Brits would probably go for that, because in spite of all that goes on around us, traditions at least anchors us to a safe place.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

My opinion of Camilla has chagend over they years and in a positive way. When I was just a teen I considered her just a mistress who had to be blamed for everything and was a mean person... Very harsh I know but as I grew up I've started appreciating her sense of duty and work, her humility and never responded to critics but kept her her down and has done what was requested from her... IMO she has changed in my eyes and now I quite like her... and the most important thing is that now I only "see" her engagements and fashion and was able to put the past behind... IMO she has proven to be a valuable future queen and I really hope everybody will see it in the coming months/years...Go Camilla, you have earned my respect... Sorry, rant over :-)

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion