The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The American public opinion on Charles & Camilla must meant a little something for the very first overseas trip Charles & Camilla made after their controversial wedding was to the United States. They were officially welcomed to the United States by President & Mrs. Bush. I were part of the many people who stayed tune to the C-SPAN coverage of their visit and the media went nuts of the coverage as well.

A great deal of the American people not only like The Queen and some members of the royal family but show a great deal of respect for them.
Prince Charles' trip to the US had been planned well before his wedding to Camilla. Camilla was added to the schedule subsequently.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Commoner

Quote:
The lack of coverage about Camilla in the US is not really a particular concern for the BRF. The US domestic audience are of little consequence to how the future Queen of the GB may be perceived
You've said it all, and I'm agreeing with you as someone who lives in the US

Old 07-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Aristocracy

Clarence House ‏@ClarenceHouse 3m
The Duchess of Cornwall is surrounded by people during an impromptu walk on Edinburgh's Royal Mile #TRHScotland pic.twitter.com/x7D3W8oFFn
Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Prince Charles' trip to the US had been planned well before his wedding to Camilla. Camilla was added to the schedule subsequently.
Yeah but it was a great way to introduce Camilla to the American people and the was a great success. The people welcomed them with open arms.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah some people welcomed them, go ask 99% of the American people who Camilla Parker Bowles is and they won't care and won't know. Americans care about celebrity, if they were really into the BRF they would pay more attention to them rather than tuning in every other decade to see a wedding. Kate is all the rage because she is new and pretty, if she looked like Hilary Clinton I doubt she would get as much coverage. The country has been indoctrinated to worship the young pretty and glamorous; some members or the RF fall into that. I don't know why how Camilla is perceived in this country matters, we aren't who she should be worrying about, it's the British and how they view her which matters.
During the world cup a lot of Americans were paying attention to it, but that doesn't mean Americans care about soccer. It's similar with the RF.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Yeah some people welcomed them, go ask 99% of the American people who Camilla Parker Bowles is and they won't care and won't know. Americans care about celebrity, if they were really into the BRF they would pay more attention to them rather than tuning in every other decade to see a wedding. Kate is all the rage because she is new and pretty, if she looked like Hilary Clinton I doubt she would get as much coverage. The country has been indoctrinated to worship the young pretty and glamorous; some members or the RF fall into that. I don't know why how Camilla is perceived in this country matters, we aren't who she should be worrying about, it's the British and how they view her which matters.
American's my age and over know who Camilla is because of her past and the part she played in the Charles & Diana saga. There's a great deal of American's who do pay attention to the popular royals and whenever there's a royal wedding, jubilee, funeral, royal visit or whatever, the American people are interested. From what I've seen, some American's try to downplay their interest in the British royals because some find it embarrassing to be found having an interest in royalty.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I disagree. There are some things in pop culture in the age of instant news that one cannot avoid knowing. I am not of the older generation and I definitely know who Camilla is. It's why The Globe can put those headlines on their front page.

I just don't think that - while people know about her - they necessarily have an opinion about her. It's like hearing about Carla Brunei - one knows she exists and that she was the French president's wife but there's no passion about her. Why should there be?

Now if one follows royalty that would be another matter - and it's clear there are Americans who follow royalty. That being so, there would likely be opinions pro, con or indifferent regarding her but it's hard to assess statistically.

That's my two cents.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I disagree. There are some things in pop culture in the age of instant news that one cannot avoid knowing. I am not of the older generation and I definitely know who Camilla is. It's why The Globe can put those headlines on their front page.

I just don't think that - while people know about her - they necessarily have an opinion about her. It's like hearing about Carla Brunei - one knows she exists and that she was the French president's wife but there's no passion about her. Why should there be?

Now if one follows royalty that would be another matter - and it's clear there are Americans who follow royalty. That being so, there would likely be opinions pro, con or indifferent regarding her but it's hard to assess statistically.

That's my two cents.
I agree. People know who Camilla is, but they don't feel passionately about her. There is substantial interest in the British royal family in the U.S. Time Magazine would not have run a cover story about Charles a few months ago if they didn't think the American public would know or care about him.

There will be major interest in his coronation when the time comes. There hasn't been a British coronation for more than 60 years.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sorry but those of us on here do not count as the average American, clearly we fare about the Royals because we are on this board. The people you know may recall Camilla but the people I know cannot. They know Diana, William Harry Kate, barely recall Charles, have no idea who his siblings are, know who Queen Elizabeth but couldn't name her husband. I personally saw no coverage of the jubilee only the Olympics, and the last funeral that was mega news was Diana's, The Queen Mothers might have been big, I do believe I saw some coverage but there wasnt much with Margaret's.
Again I will use the soccer analogy, just because it's a big deal at the moment doesn't mean that Americans have all of a sudden started to care about soccer.
Ofor course there is substantial interest but not enough to justify a phrase that the entire country cares about them.

On another note, since when is The Nation Enquire not a tabloid but The New York Post is? I thought NE was the king of US tabloids.
Either way I don't get my news about Camilla from American publications. I get it from the DM site, is that a tabloid rag too? I know it was jokingly called the Di-ly mail by some.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I'm sorry but those of us on here do not count as the average American, clearly we fare about the Royals because we are on this board. The people you know may recall Camilla but the people I know cannot. They know Diana, William Harry Kate, barely recall Charles, have no idea who his siblings are, know who Queen Elizabeth but couldn't name her husband. I personally saw no coverage of the jubilee only the Olympics, and the last funeral that was mega news was Diana's, The Queen Mothers might have been big, I do believe I saw some coverage but there wasnt much with Margaret's.
Again I will use the soccer analogy, just because it's a big deal at the moment doesn't mean that Americans have all of a sudden started to care about soccer.
Ofor course there is substantial interest but not enough to justify a phrase that the entire country cares about them.

On another note, since when is The Nation Enquire not a tabloid but The New York Post is? I thought NE was the king of US tabloids.
Either way I don't get my news about Camilla from American publications. I get it from the DM site, is that a tabloid rag too? I know it was jokingly called the Di-ly mail by some.
The Daily Mail is probably the worst tabloid of all because their trash is hidden but maybe even more poisonous and vitriolic because of that. When you buy The Mirror or The Sun, even a blind can see it is a rag only worth as a bottom for your cat's litter. The Daily Mail presents the most awful gossip with a sauce of credibility and is maybe the most undermining and dangerous paper. The Telegraph, The Independent, The Guardian, The Times are examples of more serious papers but even these haven become victims of the celebbie-fever which engulfs Britain.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's good to know and you do make a good point. I would never have thought of the New York Post as being a tabloid, I was always lead to believe it was a legitimate news source. But The Globe or Enquire are clearly rags; although the latter is gaining status because of recent scandals it revealed. I've also noticed in my country that once legitimate celeb magazines are falling into tabloid culture. But most of the linx posted on here lead to the Daily Mail site.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm a little surprised that you didn't see coverage of the Diamond Jubilee. It was on the front page of both the New York Times and the Washington Post. ABC broadcast the concert. The network morning programs had correspondents in London--I specifically remember Meredith Viera's reporting. Pierce Morgan covered it for CNN. Diane Sawyer covered it. Katie Couric met the Queen and interviewed Harry and William. The jubilee made all of the network news broadcasts. I don't think the jubilee was a ratings blockbuster, but it was news in the United States.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
That's good to know and you do make a good point. I would never have thought of the New York Post as being a tabloid, I was always lead to believe it was a legitimate news source. But The Globe or Enquire are clearly rags; although the latter is gaining status because of recent scandals it revealed. I've also noticed in my country that once legitimate celeb magazines are falling into tabloid culture. But most of the linx posted on here lead to the Daily Mail site.
I guess I thought a Tabloid was a real newspaper, that printed exaggerated stories. Things like the Enquirer, I assumed was just a joke. I never heard of the Globe. Perhaps, they are all there, but stories about anyone but Diana and Kate receive, almost, a, who cares,attitude here. I have never read anything about Camilla in a real newspaper here. The Post prints sensationalism. But I do not read any of these things, nor did I know there were celeb magazine, nor do I care.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla And The Public

Ok someone google what a tabloid is. I wonder if the def has changed because so many former legitimate publications now write about celeb stuff. I was always lead to believe a tabloid were those joke magazines that have stories of Bigfoot, aliens, John Lennon came back from the grave to kill JonBenet Ramsey.
Camilla has been on the cover of some tabloids, usually she or the Queen are dying and she and Charles are fighting. Despite that I have heard nothing else. Unfortunately because US rags don't care doesn't help that the British ones do.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I guess I thought a Tabloid was a real newspaper, that printed exaggerated stories. Things like the Enquirer, I assumed was just a joke. I never heard of the Globe. Perhaps, they are all there, but stories about anyone but Diana and Kate receive, almost, a, who cares,attitude here. I have never read anything about Camilla in a real newspaper here. The Post prints sensationalism. But I do not read any of these things, nor did I know there were celeb magazine, nor do I care.
Camilla doesn't give the media anything to cover, particularly in the U.S. She supports some great causes, but its not necessarily newsworthy. Camilla isn't young, she's not a fashion plate, and she rarely makes public errors.

Catherine is still a fresh face and there is a lot of fascination about her and William. She received a lot of coverage when she went to Australia and with the birth of George, but generally there isn't a lot on either Catherine and William in regular U.S. newspapers either.

Diana was extremely photogenic and charismatic but the U.S. newspapers didn't cover her day to day appearances after her wedding. Like Catherine, there was a lot of coverage when she had her children or travelled to English speaking countries. It was only during the breakup of her marriage that Diana started to receive regular coverage in the U.S. mainstream media.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Courtier

The Diamond Jubilee River Pageant air live on CNN and BBC America.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

One of those channels is aN American British station, and CNN is just one channel. I recall all stations covwring the election of Pope Francis and he has been on magazine covers i believe, as has the World Cup, the business with Russia and other events.
I can post articles blogs and surveys saying Americans don't care as much as the media wants us to believe, but we are never going to agree on this. You believe what you want and I'll do the same.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion