The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Majesty

That's a pretty depressing evaluation but I have to agree because it even happens here. People who know nothing about the BRF still witter on about Poor Diana, Dastardly Charles and Conniving Camilla. They are all set pictures from back in the day when we were bombarded by news of the royal fracas. Those not so subtley "enhanced" photos of an ugly, haggard Camilla still linger as do the beautifully enhanced photos of Diana the saint. Come to think of it, perhaps that is why so many believe Camilla has had extensive cosmetic surgery (on the taxpayer of course) making her look so much younger and no longer haggard when all that has really happened is them untouched real photos of her.

Unfortunately, unlike most "news" where time tends to reveal certain truths, the CDC debacle survives intact against against all odds. Princess Diana was a fairytale Princess, the stuff of legends and Camilla is still the witch. What is worse though is that the media do nothing to correct that image. Charles and Camilla were well received here in NZ but you'd never know how well by the lack of international coverage.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I, actually, think, the lack of international coverage is because they are not glamorous. I not saying this is correct, but unfortunately that is what the media cares about, because that is what sells. I think the lines are blurred today, about the saint and the witch. They are or were just people. All made mistakes. I guess when Camilla shows up they can see she didn't have cosmetic surgery on the taxpayer, as she looks older than she should and is as I said not glamorous. American media could care less about royals in general, so it is no surprise that, that trip wasn't covered here and that is because there is little interest here. I cannot speak for other nations.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is true. For instance there is no rational reason to cover Prince George more than his elders (I mean, he's cute and all and it's nice to see his first steps, but his elders are actually doing things that are worthwhile - in particular his grandfather - but on any given day I probably know more about George's activities than Charles' ). But George sells papers and Charles does not, even though Charles' contributions to the world are many. (We also know more about the Kardashians than Charles and Camilla, and that's pretty disturbing too).

You are right that Charles and Camilla are not "glamorous" and this is why they are not covered, or admired for their accomplishments.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 AM
Courtier

I agree with you. No coverage in Sydney either. We are busy with Thorny "coming out".

There is even less interest from my Mom. She hasn't moved on from their "mistakes". She is their generation and absolutely detests Camilla and Charles (I think she detests Camilla more . She goes into a ugly rant when she sees Camilla wearing any jewelry previously worn by Diana or even the Queen!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think members of the public (no matter where they live) that were around and being fed by the media during that awful time in Camilla's private life, will steadfastly refuse to change their opinions on her basically because they have not been presented with Camilla's side of the story.

Camilla didn't say a word back then and she's not uttered one word about her relationship with Charles before her marriage to him. She also, most certainly, has never once uttered a slur against Diana in public and if she's done so in private, its never become known. Yet people are warming up to Camilla. Why? I think its because they're being presented with actions that they can see. They're seeing a couple out and about that clearly are happy in each other's company. They're seeing a woman that doesn't mind (and probably even prefers) being in a supportive role and every now and then, a glimpse shines through of Camilla's down to earth nature and her "wicked" sense of humor.

I think if people really took a very good look at Camilla over the decades, what they would see in her is the attributes we would all look for in a best friend and confidant. One that would go through the bad times as well as the good times with one and offer comfort and solace when needed and tell you sometimes what one doesn't want to hear because that's what one needs to hear.

Its too bad that qualities such as this don't sell papers.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

It's not (or should not be to anyone) a surprise that some of the older folks (and younger ones too truth be known) do not accept Camilla due to the circumstances. Then there is the fact that she has a living husband (Andrew Parker-Bowles)..and no matter how 'flexible' some of the clergy have become and think it's all well and good for them to be remarried and bless the marriage.....it probably sticks in the craw of some of the more serious/devout members of the CoE/Anglicans or whatever they have splintered off into these days.

I personally don't know how the Queen and the CoE get around the marriage situation with Charles considering what he will be to the Church when King...unless it just really doesn't matter anymore and the CoE has more or less become a meeting club people drop by now and then.

LaRae
Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Serene Highness

It seems like the tabloid recycles negative news or the same story over and over again. I don't know how many times I've seen when checking out in line at the grocery store seeing something negative written about the royal family. Never positive. If it's isn't Charles and Camilla, it is Prince William or Kate.

Since Prince Charles had been married to Camilla, I've seen the same tabloid story over and over again (Queen tells Camilla to leave, advises Charles to divorces her or something to that effect). Then the next edition it will be someone else.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting. I never see them mentioned. To most of my countrymen he could have married a tree and wouldn't make a difference. No one cares.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

You may just not be looking. Globe is a US tabloid and I frequently see Queen is dying and Camilla is trying to steal the throne-esque front pages on it.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was indeed shocked to read on the front cover that Kate is 90 pounds and pregnant with twins as I placed my bread and milk on the belt.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:54 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't see Countess' statement as anything but stating her perception that the ordinary folks going about their ordinary lives don't really pay that much attention to the royal family. It would be similar to me stating that, for the most part, the average US citizen probably couldn't name Obama's daughters. The average American could care less what his daughter's names are.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Royal Highness

MARG, can I ask you something since you come from New Zealand. I saw a debate a year ago between royalists and republicans from New Zealand, where an elderly man said the most ridiculous things. Do you know who I mean? I think he was a businessman, seemed completely crazy.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Majesty

Oh that! It happens every time we have an impending Royal Visit. One of the TV stations will invite these academic republicans to share their enlightened self interest with the rest of us plebs or worse invite several to have a debate which, since they are all anti-royalists, is a hoot as they try to be the baddest and the best instead of their reality of Meh!

To be honest I don't know where they get them from but they sure don't share the same planet or country as me, my family and friends. They are however, endlessly entertaining in their earnest endeavours to bring us all over to the dark side or invite us to join them in La La Land via the great Prozac express, so great is their self interest.

Quote:
New Zealand Republic chairman Savage said he was not worried by the slight shift in support toward a British head of state.

"What we think happens is people get carried away looking at the popularity or interest people show in the royal couple, but that doesn't properly relate to what the head of state debate is about," he said.

The Department of Internal Affairs released last month the cost of the 10-day tour, putting the taxpayer bill at $1,035,000.
Most New Zealanders like value for money and we don't have to overtax our brains to do the basic arithmetic required to ascertain that an elected El Presidente would cost us a darned sight more than $1,035,000 every single year.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
You may just not be looking. Globe is a US tabloid and I frequently see Queen is dying and Camilla is trying to steal the throne-esque front pages on it.

That's the one I see when I am in line at the store.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

The CoE is very much a living, breathing entity.

In the 1560s there was no way that a woman could ever even hold the title 'Head of the Church of England' and so had to be 'Supreme Governor' but as recently as within the last 24 hours the Church of England Synod in the UK has voted to allow women to become bishops - and thus even, in time, no doubt Archbishop of Canterbury.

The church is changing its teachings and practices to reflect the modern world all the time and there would no reason for any Archbishop of Canterbury to refuse to crown Charles other then his own personal prejudice against divorced persons which would be huge backward step for the church and the nation as divorced persons are every in society.

Camilla is changing people's attitudes every time she goes out and meets new people. The die-hards will never change and that is their privilege and right but more and more people are changing - a majority of the nation I can't say but pretty well almost every article about her refers to someone who has changed their views on her as a person and as a royal - as they have met her in person.

I have a personal story on this issue - my brother and his wife attended three functions with Diana on her various trips down under (my sister-in-law worked with Dr Chang - the heart surgeon and so was a various events when Diana was helping his work etc) and they both admired her - my brother more than my sister-in-law but that is another story. He was totally against Camilla and thought her a 'nasty, very nasty woman' until he met her in person when she went to the Melbourne Cup. She made a point of asking to meet the press involved in covering the cup and spent time talking to each and every one of them - now my brother had also meet her during the London Olympics but hadn't had much of a chance to speak to her - he was 'presented' to her and then she moved on but...at the Melbourne Cup she greeted him as an 'old friend' and commented on some of his work from the London Olympics and other work that he had done - she mad him feel as if she a) knew who he was as a real person and b) knew the range and nature of his work and actually went out of her way to get his coverage of sporting events. (Whether she actually does is probably not the case but it was the way she talked to him about his work that made him 'feel' that she did). He was very impressed as Diana never made that connection, even to his wife, who worked on one of her pet projects. Now he still admires Diana but is totally in the Camilla camp - as she 'really makes the people she is meeting feel as if they are people she cares about and follows' while Diana 'was more skin deep - cared about the causes but not the little' people involved and only the very, very top people'.

There are many others who have done the same thing - still admire Diana but have come to realise that Camilla isn't and wasn't the devil incarnate at all but more that they are and were two women with flaws and good points and that both can be admired and supported without having to play one off against the other.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for that interesting story. Seems that Camilla certainly went above and beyond, IMO with your brother which is really good. Possibly Diana would have been able to acquire the same skills if she lived as ling as Camilla.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Royal Highness

Iluvbertie,
Thanks for sharing your story.

Camilla always talks to people as if she has always known them. She might have inherited her family's gift. Her grandfather, Roland Cubitt and her nephew, Ben Elliot had/have photographic memory.

Camilla might remember everything about someone she briefly met so when she meets them again she talks to them as if she has always known them.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Where did u hear members or her family had photographic memories? I have never read a biography that went that deep into her family.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness

Roland's tributes at the time of his death.

Articles about Ben Elliot.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Oh that! It happens every time we have an impending Royal Visit...
Thanks for your explanation, MARG.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion