The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Camilla is already the patron of a charity that supports sufferers of osteoporosis. This disease hits pretty close to home since her mother died of it.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by portergirl
I completely agree with those of you who have said Camilla should not try to copy Diana or do the things she did.
I don't think Camilla wants to be another Diana. Remember, while the world loved Diana, Charles couldn't live with Diana. If Camilla turned into another Diana, she'd risk losing Charles' love and she's already put too much on the line for his love to risk losing that now.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Gentry

I didn't explain myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I don't think Camilla wants to be another Diana. Remember, while the world loved Diana, Charles couldn't live with Diana. If Camilla turned into another Diana, she'd risk losing Charles' love and she's already put too much on the line for his love to risk losing that now.
I guess I didn't explain my thoughts too clearly, ysbel: I didn't mean that Camilla wanted to be another Diana in every way - in private ways with Charles. I meant in the way she was perceived by the public, since I think that's how this thread started. I am sure she isn't trying to be Diana in private, since as you said, Charles didn't care for Diana - but I don't think there's any danger of Camilla being Diana in public or private - no chance!
Old 08-22-2005, 04:56 PM
Royal Highness

I guess should rephrase the question. No one is suggesting that Camilla should take over Diana's patronages or try to copy Diana's style. The question should have been should Camilla make herself more available to the public when opportunities represent themselves and let the public decide for themselves on her suitability,
Old 08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Royal Highness

Absolutely. Those who are determined to dislike her can always choose not to support her charities.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

She's patroness of the following:

Patronages
St John's, Smith Square (Patron)
Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust (Trustee)
National Osteoporosis Society (President)
New Queen's Hall Orchestra (Patron)

some excerpts from royal.gov.uk:

During her time as Patron and then as President, The Duchess has visited many bone units in hospitals across the country to help raise awareness about osteoporosis, which affects one in two women and one in five men over the age of 50 in the UK.

She also wrote the foreword to the society's book 'A Skeleton Guide to a Healthy You - Vitamins and Minerals', which was launched at a special reception held at the Ritz Hotel in London on 28 February, 2002.

Her Royal Highness is also Patron of St John's, Smith Square, and a Trustee of the Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust. Launched in 1998, this scheme supports elderly and vulnerable householders, including disabled people, and victims of domestic violence and race and hate crime.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:34 AM
Gentry

Camilla needs to become more public and charity work is the best way to appear in a good light. While some people will always hate her there are at least some people who with some years time will be swayed into liking Camilla or at least not disliking her.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Gentry

Diana took on so many charities to increase her power base with the public, and to beat the RF at their own game. Later, she dumped most of them. Camilla has no need to play games like that.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by una
Diana took on so many charities to increase her power base with the public, and to beat the RF at their own game. Later, she dumped most of them. Camilla has no need to play games like that.
No, Camilla has bigger hurdles to leap over than Diana ever did!

Diana is also not as Machiavellian as you make her appear. She truly cared about people and their suffering because she was suffering. She didn't want anyone to suffer.

Diana also had to surrender those "dumped" charities to try to get her life back in order after her separation from Charles. When she was up to it, she returned to Charity work with the Red Cross and banning of landmines.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Courtier

Heh, ask Jane Atkinson about the "surrender."
Old 08-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
Heh, ask Jane Atkinson about the "surrender."
Jane Atkinson did not remain with the Princess for long. Anything she says I take with a grain of salt personally.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:14 AM
Courtier

Her short "term" gives her even more credibility in my eyes. Besides, she's not the only one who has ever said it.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Courtier

What about Patrick Jephson? He was there for eight years and tells the same story.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Enlightenment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
What about Patrick Jephson? He...tells the same story.
It's getting a bit cryptic here, which I guess is why no one else has posted any replies for a while.
So here goes: What story?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Courtier

LOL! I don't mean any one story or occasion, but I was referring to Diana's lack of cohesion, continuity and loyalty with her charities. Her "reactiveness."
Old 08-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Courtier

Like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by una
Old 09-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Camillas Charities

Camilla is a wonderfull and unique women who care a lot about certain things. She will find her niche soon. She has donated to a Self-harm charity and I think she plans on becoming more involved with that charity. Camilla wants to try and break the taboo over self-harm. Diana was Patron and President over a broad spectrum of charities. Camilla is bound to cross at least one of them. And, it is the charities that decied if they want Camilla to be there patron. I see nothing wrong with Camilla taking a few of Dianas old charities if it is something she cares about and the if charities want her. Camilla is a great asset to any charity. Camilla and Diana are different women but more alike than you think. Camilla falls under the category of royals that Diana and the Queen Mum fall under. Camilla is the down to earth, commener, funny, knows what the people want and how to please them type of person. Just like Diana and the Queen Mum. Why do you think Princes William and Harry are friends with her and "love her to bits" as Harry said. She is a good lass.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Welcome to The Royal Forums Princejonnhy25.

** May you enjoy your time here.**

Warren
Old 09-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the kind welcome and I think I will enjoy my time hear. It is a very intriguing place.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Nobility

I think the best thing for camilla to do is be herself. From pictures she seems to be friendly and warm. And she obviously makes charles happy so maybe that is what is important I think she more wants to support him than have this role be about her.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion