The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Yes, the children were the best. Look, they never had a marriage. He loved someone else. And, to his credit, he really did. Diana wanted more, to her credit, but it would never be available. Never was. And DMAN, if Diana were still alive, Charles would not have married Camilla, because his mother would have never sanctioned it. It will be interesting when he is king and they anoint Camilla, while her first husband is in the gallery. The Church's hypocrisy is quite evident on this one.
Okay, why do you think, if Diana were still alive and moved on in her life, The Queen wouldn't allow Charles to move on too?

I think The Queen made a rather smart move for the sake of the Monarchy. I think she's trying to leave a stable Monarchy behind. It's her job to take care of the "Firm" as much as she can and she did what she had to do. God knows how she really felt about it all but I understood her move.

The Queen and royal family efforts and that major PR campaign has carried Camilla this far and it has worked with the public.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Camilla had to find its place. Camilla will never be as popular as Diana was.

No, she won't, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

One problem Charles and Diana had was Diana's enormous popularity; after their divorce, she almost had what one reporter described as a rival monarchy.

Camilla supports Charles, she doesn't upstage him.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
No, she won't, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Camilla supports Charles, she doesn't upstage him.
Very well said.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Majesty

No, Camilla won't be as popular as Diana was but Camilla has become popular with a great deal of people though. Diana did her thing back in the day and I think people are allowing Camilla to do hers.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Royal Highness

From 1981 we Americans were fed a fairly tale - and we tend to see these things like this in black and white. The American press made a mint off that fairy tale (I'll be the editors of People Magazine draped the offices in black for one year after she died) I refuse to have conversations anymore with other Americans on the topic. The American press also made a mint off the idea of Camilla being the evil Queen to the fair, innocent Diana, and are still doing it. Even now, Yahoo news in its headlines posts the most bizarre stories about royals - one last week is Camilla is a drunk and the Queen is ordering Charles to divorce her - and I will tell you most in the U.S. will believe this nonsense. I'd like to see Camilla sue for defamation over that one, but I don't think it's in her nature.

I'm glad that the British have warmed to Camilla. Life goes on, and she does a good job, I think.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Aristocracy

Sadly, I suspect that GracieGiraffe and other Americans chiming in here are correct about the general opinion of Camilla in the US from those who aren't royal watchers. My former boss and I like to chat every few weeks or month and sometimes she teases me about how I like following royalty. However we sometimes discuss Camilla and Diana quite seriously. She's not a royal watcher by any stretch of the imagination but she is a very intelligent, perceptive woman and quite successful in our business. I respect her tremendously yet her opinion is that Camilla broke up the fairytale marriage and that Diana was the wronged party. She is very puzzled at why I like and appreciate Camilla. I admit, I really didn't have an opinion one way or the other regarding Camilla but the years I've spent on this forum, especially following the BRF, have caused me to become a fan. I doubt the same could be said of most Americans since we really did only hear Diana's spin on how the Wales' marriage fell apart.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's not just the US, Canada can be like that too. My mother hates Charles and thinks he isn't able to be king, and my stepmother has informed me that she didn't like Camilla until her own marriage ended and had a different perspective on things.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:06 AM
Aristocracy

What is the name of that ridiculous American newspaper? Who writes the most unthinkable things, that The Queen is dying, and that Camilla is looking out for the throne etc. etc.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

That would be The Globe. Their headlines are good for a laugh and little more.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Thank you!
I do not understand why people believe in that stuff.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Because they don't have an understanding of how the system works, buy into conspiracy theories, and don't actually have any media showing anything positive about Camilla over here.

As much as we rag on the DM, it does have an understanding of how the system works and fairly often shows both Charles and Camilla in neutral, if not positive, lights.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:10 AM
Majesty

And there are other publications that pick up The Globe's fantasies and publish them as well - thus creating multiple 'sources' for the stories and adding 'credibility' to the stories and sadly there are many, many people who want to see some of these stories to be true due to their total hatred of Charles and Camilla.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 AM
Serene Highness

Ish - Canadians can hate? Isn't that against the law in Canada? Don't you have to like everyone and be super polite in Canada ?

The Globe is horrid- it's always some totally stupid, wrong royal headline in which the Queen is dying, Camilla is a angry drunk and Kate is pregnant while William is going to be named the next King like the Queen can choose.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-12-2014, 05:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Ish - Canadians can hate? Isn't that against the law in Canada? Don't you have to like everyone and be super polite in Canada ?

On the contrary, Skippy! We Canadians are required by law to hate (at a minimum) Toronto and any and all rival hockey teams.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:18 AM
Aristocracy

If we had something like the globe here in the UK or in Norway, they had been shut down.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
I went and checked. What a hoot, but really, do any normal people believe those crazy stories?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I went and checked. What a hoot, but really, do any normal people believe those crazy stories?
Yes people do, but I do not know if they are normal. The Globe is not worth reading.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Courtier

I think one of the problems a lot of Americans have is that they don't think for themselves. They hear something from someone they consider reliable, or they do not investigate to the the real story. Or worse, they will think the opposite just to be contrarian. I see so many of my fellow countrymen follow those whom they trust. I live by the Russian proverb, "Trust, but verify."
Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

What's with all the globe reading in hear. No reading The Globe....I don't know whT u should read but no Globe.
It really angers me when commentators, British btw, bring up Charles not becoming King. On another board it was brought up that Harry should be King instead of Charles and William and someone said that The Royal Family has become the X Factor.
I recently read an online article about how Camilla captured the publics heart, but I don't know if that was from a paper magazine or just a blog.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I think one of the problems a lot of Americans have is that they don't think for themselves. They hear something from someone they consider reliable, or they do not investigate to the the real story. Or worse, they will think the opposite just to be contrarian. I see so many of my fellow countrymen follow those whom they trust. I live by the Russian proverb, "Trust, but verify."
People here in the U.S. want to believe in the fairy tale narrative - those who give a darn, about the fairy tale, that is. Nobody is really that interested in looking into the real story, kinda like the suspension of disbelief people engage in when watching certain action or fantasy movies, etc.

What really irks me is that I believe that most of these fairy tale opinions are driven purely by looks - Diana was "beautiful," Charles .. .not so much and Camilla, well the majority of American commentary is nothing short of misogyny at its worse (and on purely objective terms she was/is not as good looking as Diana, or as young, or as well-dressed etc). So the American public's view is shallowness at its most crass. I have often said that when you compare this to the Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie saga - the American public gives Pitt and Jolie a pass because, well, obviously they're soul mates. Well, can't one argue that Charles and Camilla were always meant to be together? The difference in opinion of the majority of the public can only be based on one thing, IMO - looks. Now, I could give a fig about who wronged who in each of these trios - it really is shocking to me that the majority opinion is based upon looks and beauty. Naturally, there are exceptions to this blanket statement, but I'm talking about what I see as the prevailing American view based on public comments of the average person.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion