The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by elladora View Post
I actually never heard of it. Care to elaborate? I mean I knew she had a relationship but that was after they were divorced

I'm surprised you hadn't heard about that. No, Diana had several affairs while married to Charles, one of them with James Hewitt, who has always been rumored to be Prince Harry's father, even though Harry greatly resembles his cousin (his aunt Sarah McCorquodale's son) and his grandfather, Prince Philip.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Let's stay on topic folks....Camilla and the Public.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Back to topic, I have to say that I never particularly cared for Camilla. I didn't dislike her as such: she just didn't do anything for me.
In recent years, however, I've warmed considerably to her. She appears to be a genuinely nice woman and I, for one, enjoy reading about her more than most other members of the royal family, including the younger royals.

I think a lot of people, in and outside the UK, feel the same way.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Nobility

Over the years, I've come to admire and even like Camilla. At one time, I was one of Diana's staunchest supporters ... and I'm still a supporter, but I don't believe she was a total innocent in the marriage. I think all three made mistakes, and if we forgive Diana, we should also forgive Charles and Camilla.

(It's more accurate to say that the current UK ruling house is a descendent of Henry VII, rather than Henry VIII.)
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Gentry

" The woman who stole Charles "

I have never heard this expression before, it sounds as though it should be in a novel. You are of course entitled to your opinion of the Duchess, and your comparisons with Princess Diana, however, Monarchy is not a beauty contest. Had things turned out differently, Diana would indeed have become Queen Consort, on the accession of her husband, but that time is now passed. When the Prince of Wales becomes King, his present wife, Camilla Duchess of Cornwall will become Queen Consort, a right which is both constitutional and moral, and i`m afraid you will simply have to live with it.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk800 View Post
Anyways, as I was saying Camilla will probably never be that favoured by the public. Unfortunately, she will always be known as the "woman who stole Charles". It's a shame, though. If Charles had married her instead of Diana the public would probably have favoured her a lot more.
I have to admit the appellation "The Woman Who Stole Charles" cracked me up! It never ceases to amuse me that people can still hold on to the notion that someone can 'Steal' another adult, or even just their love. It is an absolute nonsense.

It is insulting to imagine that an adult human being is able to be "stolen", as if they are an inanimate object incapable of thinking or feeling. Human beings are blessed or cursed with emotions and love is only one of them. You can kill love but you can't steal it. Love can only be given and, if you are lucky, received.

IMO, Charles and Camilla have both been lucky and there are many, many photos that illustrate that shared love, given and received. The media is finally starting to realise that this is a healthy, happy couple who have much to offer and are realising their continued demonizing of Camilla was merely proof of their stunning lack of perspicacity!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Serene Highness

As the years go by, public opinions of Camilla has changed. Many people strongly disliked her, now a lot of those people admire and respect her. The passage of time has a lot to do with it.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am one of those people who believes that women and men can still another's significant other. In some states in America I believe there is even a law against it called "alienation of affection". I especially hate women who do this to their fellow females.
Anyway, Camilla has brought some of her detractors over to her side by just carrying herself with dignity and graciousness. I also believe it doesn't hurt that it seems her mother in law and her stepsons have given her their stamp of approval. Even when Camilla was still "the other woman" in the early 90's she kept quiet and did not get involved in the War of the Wales'; she kept her mouth shut even when she was constantly being called ugly and trashed in the media.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't believe you can steal someones love. You can lose their love or fall out of love but thats it.
Anyway, Camilla seems to be progressing quite nicely in gaining public approval. People can see her warmth when she undertakes her engagements and they can also see that Charles is much happier than he was in the late 80s and 90s. Certainly of the 3 principals she handled the War of the Wales with quiet dignity. Never complain and never explain worked well for her.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I am thrilled that where ever Camilla goes people, ordinary people, not media with an axe to grind, meet and are impressed by Camilla and her warmth and genuine care. That is all that matters, what the people think, not the media, not the haters, and not those who have a selective view of history.

With each and every appearance Camilla is making real friends of people who have met the real Camilla. Long may it last.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Royal Highness

I think she had the most to loose. If Diana had wanted, she could have stayed married to Charles indefinately. He would never have divorced her if she hadn't given the Panorama interview. She was a beautiful woman with charisma - always able to find supporters, even though she was not able to keep real friendships.

Camilla OTOH was in a very delicate position when it comes to society. She is not of such a superior birth that she could have dared not to care - not a Lady Jane Wellesly who famously said she need not marry a title, she was born with one! Then when her husband divorced her, she was just an ordinary Ex-officer's wife. Then she lost a lot of money with Lloyds... So she was not in a good position - and was heavily vilified in the media and by Diana's supporters.

She only had two things going for her: Charles' unwavering support, respect and love and her own ability to make real friends, long-time friends, loyal friends.

What we experience today is the real thing: an elderly lady, not very beautiful, not very healthy, not very educated, but with a sunny nature, genuine compassion, steady loyality, personal dignity and the ability to give others the feeling they are special.

That's what the media is forced to show us today because even as they try hard, they can't come up with negative things and time's definately on her side. Those who remember Diana age with Camilla - and view tends to change over time. What once was the story of a betrayed innocent and an experienced witch is today (thanks to years and years of reporting) the story of a man who was married to a beautiful but spoilt princess who chose the ordinary looking "best buddy"-lady in the end. Isn't that what we all dream off, now that we reached a certain age? When we read about the "new love" of this socialite playgirl and the new, younger wife of that freshly divorced Mr. Multi-Millionaire - isn't it much nicer to read about Britain's future queen who is adored by the future king, called my "Darling wife" and treated not only with courtesy but with genuine affection?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I couldn't put it better even if I tried.
Excellent post!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Please note that posts that dealt with the Charles/Diana/Camilla triangle (i.e. stealing someone else man, Camilla was Charles's true love, etc.) have been deleted as off topic.

Posts that referenced the triangle but stayed on topic (i.e despite of the triangle, Camilla's public percetion is .... ) have remained.

Let's try to say on topic.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Aristocracy

Kataryn, this so much, thank you for your post!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Majesty

Kataryn, you said it beautifully! I couldn't have put it better.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Royal Highness

My, my, you all see me blushing... Thank you very much, you are very welcome!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
What we experience today is the real thing: an elderly lady, not very beautiful, not very healthy, not very educated, but with a sunny nature, genuine compassion, steady loyality, personal dignity and the ability to give others the feeling they are special.
Very well said.

Some people are academically inclined, while there are those who posses the gift of humilty and interact well socially. That in itself is a gift.

Though I'd not so much classify the late Princess of Wales as necessarily being spoilt, rather she was a woman who lived a life with a great deal of emotional instability and that is something I feel many people chose to overlook and instead diagnose her simply as having been someone who was 'tricky'. At the end of the day, Diana was not a well lady throughout much of her adult life. Not an excuse, but merely a truth I do believe.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Very wisely said I agree full heartily!! We are sadly living in an age where love and compassion is at times lacking.

Quote:
What once was the story of a betrayed innocent and an experienced witch is today (thanks to years and years of reporting) the story of a man who was married to a beautiful but spoilt princess who chose the ordinary looking "best buddy"-lady in the end.
Its not as black and white nor would I use the same context. But I do agree, he was married to a woman he couldn't connect to emotionally nor could she fully understand him as he didn't fully understand her as well. Now he is married to a woman who understands and loves him unconditionally. She loves him the way he needs to be loved imo.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post

Though I'd not so much classify the late Princess of Wales as necessarily being spoilt,
I tried to point out the changing image of Daina and Camilla through the years:

Diana's last weeks spend with Dodi, if we see that as her new beginning after the divorce and the time necessary to adapt to a new situation left, at least by me, the image of a "spoilt" lady: I understand the first holiday with the children with the Al Fayed's but never understood what she saw in Dodi if it wasn't what he could give her and to show off a bit when in parallel Charles started to stand by Camilla in public.

Camilla back then was seen as a "Rottweiler" both in looks and temperament and nobody seemed to understand back then why Charles preferred to be with her in London when he could have been the one to spoil the beauty in France.

Today that view changed - and rightfully so.
Diana is understood to have been a beautiful but troubled woman with a good, compassionate heart which made people fall for her but made it very difficult if not impossible to live with her in the long-term while Camilla is seen as a good-hearted lady in the best sense of the world who one can turn to in whatever trouble and get help and support which in return gets her others love, affection and support - and that indefinatedly. No matter how she looks for beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally when I see her genuine smile, I am glad that she is Charles' life, for I believe he is worth having her for a wife. But then I'm a very romantic fan of Camilla...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
When we read about the "new love" of this socialite playgirl and the new, younger wife of that freshly divorced Mr. Multi-Millionaire - isn't it much nicer to read about Britain's future queen who is adored by the future king, called my "Darling wife" and treated not only with courtesy but with genuine affection?
Yes.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion