The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:43 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
He probably thought it before Di died but, just didn't have the opportunity to say it. He could believe that it is more important not to hurt the living, than to alter his view on someone just because she is dead.
It's great that he has come out, publicly, in favour of Camilla.
It's always interesting to read other's opinions, but we could say Camilla is earning her stripes (ie respect) through her own efforts. I don't think it's necessary to pay her a compliment combined with a negative swipe at someone else. Lagerfeld could have easily confined his comment about to Diana to "she was pretty", or "she looked good in a frock".

Moving on from Karl Lagerfeld, if we collected the public statements of those who know Camilla we would have a nice collection of compliments. Has anyone who knows her said anything negative?

Old 02-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Royal Highness

I think he could have praised Camilla without saying anything negative about Diana. I hope Camilla doesn't wear his clothes now.:)

Old 02-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Royal Highness

I think that's his hope to have her as a client, not necessarily because he enjoy her company, but to help sell his clothes.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:10 AM

I can't believe how you're all reacting to this. Diana is dead. He couldn't say she was stupid when she first died because emotions were running high. But he can now say what he thought of her and he said he found her "pretty, sweet but stupid". Then he went on to praise Camilla. What's so wrong about that? And why is it an attempt to get her to wear the clothes? I don't think it is at all - he was asked for his opinion and he gave it.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Gentry

I can't say I was much of a fan of Camilla. Nor am I a big one now. Though I was completely suprised when I found out they were getting married, usually the chick on the side, doesn't become the next bride (hey that rhymed). I guess as long as there both happy, but I must say I don't respect her choice of commiting adultry, or Charles. I've always wonder if what they had was really love, or simply lust? only they know I guess.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 AM

I think it's definately true love. And how many people find that? It's lasted for so long, through so much. They obviously think the world of one another - it just shows. Charles is like a new man. He's always smiling and happy and he's no longer the odd man out at events. I just can't wait for the first Royal Wedding they both attend.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOY!
usually the chick on the side, doesn't become the next bride ( I guess as long as there both happy, but I must say I don't respect her choice of commiting adultry, or Charles. I've always wonder if what they had was really love, or simply lust? only they know I guess.
Wrong, 1000's and 1000's of men and women marry the man/woman 'on the side'.
At least they only commited adultery with each other!

Definately love, lust doesn't normally last 36 years.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Definately love, lust doesn't normally last 36 years.
And if it does, I imagine it does strange things to the mind!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Whether Karl Lagerfeld said what he said when Diana was alive or deceased, it was disrespectful either way. A man in his high profile position should have more ethics about him and keep his mouth shut. To say one is "stupid" is just plain rude. And to compare the two ladies is unprofessional. If he was asked his opinion, he should have just stated what he wanted to about Camilla and left Diana out of it completely.
Not to mention that the man is a hypocrite. He was probably one of the many designers sending things to Diana for her to wear for the publicity.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa
Not to mention that the man is a hypocrite. He was probably one of the many designers sending things to Diana for her to wear for the publicity.
You might be on to something there. I didn't keep up with Diana's fashion but I'm quite sure she probably wore Chanel!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Whether Karl Lagerfeld said what he said when Diana was alive or deceased, it was disrespectful either way. A man in his high profile position should have more ethics about him and keep his mouth shut.
Why!? Because somebody might listen to him? Why shouldn't he speak his mind and tell the truth - his truth. What you're saying is, he met Diana and has an opinion thats negative. Whereas most people on here never met and have an opinion thats positive and should take precedence over his views?

Quote:
To say one is "stupid" is just plain rude
No it isn't. If he said, "She was of limited intelligence", he would have been saying the same thing in 5 words instead of 1. (One refers to himself in the context you've used it).
Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
You might be on to something there. I didn't keep up with Diana's fashion but I'm quite sure she probably wore Chanel!
I didn't think she wore Chanel, it wasn't trendy enough. I understand that Camilla on the other hand has been wearing Chanel for years.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is not fair when people make comparisons between Camilla and Diana and they are not in Dianas favour just as it is not fair for comparisons to be made to make Camilla look better. They are and were their own women. In my opinion, K.L. said the Diana bit to get headlines and attention. He could have just praised Camilla but that would not have gotten as much attention if he didnt mention Diana. I think it is rude. Yes, it is true that Diana wasnt the brightest fish in the sea but she is dead, let her rest in peace.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOY!
I can't say I was much of a fan of Camilla. Nor am I a big one now. Though I was completely suprised when I found out they were getting married, usually the chick on the side, doesn't become the next bride (hey that rhymed). I guess as long as there both happy, but I must say I don't respect her choice of commiting adultry, or Charles. I've always wonder if what they had was really love, or simply lust? only they know I guess.
Initially, she would have been the bride. Camilla was likee many girls in the sixties, I'm sure. Charles genuninely loved her, however, if not for his pig uncle Mountbatton hadn't encouraged him to waste time by sowing his oats. Yes, a virgin was desired and added a better reputation, but IF Diana had affairs with guys before marriage, this would be a moot point I suppose. Furthermore, after all they've been through (Camilla especially) I would think it would definately be love indeed. Few couples, unless it was permanently enduring the way this love has, would have survived all these years and the repeated public crucifixion.

If those two would have been allowed to marry in the first frickin' place things would have been different. Ironically, (I hope I'm not flamed) Diana was more like the girl on the side than Camilla. She was (despite her good points) a vapid, selfish, thoroughly insane person who caused a lot of harm. Furthermore, she was overly paranoid and subconsciously casued a lot of her worst fears to come true. On this last oint however, I cannot judge too harshly since mental illness is a pretty bad disease and something that at times cannot be helped.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 PM

What? So every comparison has to be in Diana's favour? It isn't fair - it's life. Why would he be desperate to get in the press? He could get in the press any way he wanted. The truth of this matter was, he was asked what he thought of Camilla. He gave his opinion. It was in Camilla's favour for once and not Diana's and now people hate him for it. What a load of old rot.

She's dead - that doesn't mean her life was any different. She's open to criticism just as much as anyone else.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
The truth of this matter was, he was asked what he thought of Camilla. He gave his opinion. It was in Camilla's favour for once and not Diana's and now people hate him for it. What a load of old rot.

She's dead - that doesn't mean her life was any different. She's open to criticism just as much as anyone else.
That's a bit overdramatic BeatrixFan. Several of us like Camilla and we definitely don't hate him for saying something in her favor. He's a good designer - just a little syncophantic for my tastes right now.

Diana is certainly open to criticism whether she is alive or dead. Same with Karl Lagerfield or any other public figure. Once he spoke to the press, he opened his words up for interpretation and possible criticism. Its an occupational hazard of fame.

Incidentally we don't know if he was asked his opinion or he just offered it.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:47 PM

Overdramatic? I don't think so at all. It's obvious. Every time someone praises Camilla, somebody finds some reason for it to be discounted and it gets a little tiresome.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Incidentally we don't know if he was asked his opinion or he just offered it.
I read the article, that he offered his opinion on Camilla and was asked about Diana.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Joan Rivers, Elton John, and Ozzy Osbourne somehow escaped our scathing wit then when they praised Camilla.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I read the article, that he offered his opinion on Camilla and was asked about Diana.
So it wasn't sycophancy as I believed. Everything is ok, then.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, public opinion