The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
Im a bit confused. First, do you dislike her for being a camera hog as you claim or for another reason. Please elaborate. Second, Maxima is always smiling in the camera and so is Mary and other royals. How does looking happy and answering the presses questions misbehaving. People like Camilla cause she always seems happy and down to earth. Not stuffy like the rest of the royal family is portrayed. She still seems nervous in front of the cameras. She still has that shaky wave and is a bit unsure of herself in the cameras. Its a bit obvious. She always tries to keep the attention on Charles. She rarely leaves his side and any pics of her almost always include Charles in the background her something. Its not her fault the photographers put extra attention on her.

Well put princejohnny.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:08 PM
Courtier

I was well and truly stunned last February when their engagement was announced. I had never expected them to marry. As the day wore on and I got used to the idea, I started to feel a sort of smug glow of happiness for them and all the royal family. Though I had always like The Prince of Wales and felt sympathy for his predicament, I rarely thought about Camilla at all. I didn't dislike her, just didn't have a reason to think about her much.

I immediately scheduled a day off work so I could watch the wedding day broadcasts (turns out I didn't have to when it was moved to Saturday). The service at St. George's Chapel was lovely. It was so nice see the whole family there. The music was superb. The shot of them leaving, walking toward the doors, her dress billowing lightly in the breeze, was breath-taking. I was so pleased for them that it had gone well after the "problems" leading up to the day.

I've been impressed by the way she has taken on her new responsibilities with warmth and grace. I have a great deal of sympathy for her situation, in that there must be so much pressure not to make a mistake. Still, she has managed to do well by just being herself.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I try explain. (That's my point of view.)

I don't wrote that I dislike Camilla for being a camera hog. I don't even thought that she is a camera hog! Maybe sometimes it looks like that. I agree, that's normal that the photographers put and will put special attention on her. (It would be strange if they wouldn't do that.)
Sorry but for me, in comparison with other royals - Maxima, Mary (they aren't stuffy) or other Camilla's behaviour when she see the cameras is unnatural. I wrote that it seems like she's searching where are the cameras or testing if the photographers watching or not on her during her engagements. Her reaction is smile, smile... Sometimes it looks not like smile but simper to the cameras. That's no matter what is the event, Camilla always searching the cameras and smile. Like she doesn't know what she should do/how to behave. Her behaviour than reminds me a child in the candyshop. Maybe that's her nerves or maybe not, I don't know.
Oh, I don't say that looking happy, answering the press questions misbehaving!
Old 12-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Sorry but for me, in comparison with other royals - Maxima, Mary (they aren't stuffy) or other Camilla's behaviour when she see the cameras is unnatural. I wrote that it seems like she's searching where are the cameras or testing if the photographers watching or not on her during her engagements. Her reaction is smile, smile... Sometimes it looks not like smile but simper to the cameras. That's no matter what is the event, Camilla always searching the cameras and smile. Like she doesn't know what she should do/how to behave. Her behaviour than reminds me a child in the candyshop. Maybe that's her nerves or maybe not, I don't know.
I think that is what princejohnny is trying to say -- that Camilla is, even more than 30 years of being in the public eye (sort of) and nearly a year as Prince Charles' fiancee then his wife, Camilla is still very nervous in front of the cameras.

Maybe Maxima less so as she seems to have endless confidence, but certainly Mary in the beginning was shy and nervous in front of the cameras. But more than two years in front of the public eye, first as a fiancee then as the Crown Princess of Denmark, has really blossomed from her initial months. Mary is quite natural in front of the cameras now and rarely shows an ounce of nerves, rather exudes confidence. It took Mary some time, and it will take Camilla some time to feel that comfortable, too.

I think the European princesses such as Maxima and Mary have it easier than Camilla however.

Firstly, the British media is a lot more ruthless than the Danish or Dutch media in their coverage of their royals.

Secondly, Camilla became a princess and the wife of the future King with a lot more controversy, baggage and history surrounding her than Mary or even Maxima with her father's terrible past. I think even Letizia's divorce was less of an issue than the Charles/Camilla/Diana triangle.

Thirdly, Camilla also married a divorced man, a man whose former wife was very loved and very celebrated, and whose wife died very tragically. For all their previous girlfriends, Willem, Frederik and the other Crown Princes never had a former girlfriend who was as loved as Diana.

I think Camilla had a lot of bricks stacked up against her and has had to work a lot harder to earn the people's respect. By nature, I think she is also a very private, a very shy individual who has had (is having) a very difficult time adjusting to life under the media scrutiny, no matter how much she loves Charles.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with you, Alexandria. I think it must be difficult to have the cameras trained on you when you're used to being a very private person. In addition, I attribute some of her early "tentative-ness" (if such a word exists) to nerves about the whole Charles/Camilla/Diana triangle and how people would react to her (don't forget; at one point she was pelted with rolls by fellow shoppers). There were even polls going in the US before their visit about if people would turn out to see her and/or like her. Talk about pressure! I never cared for her when the triangle drama was being played out but I've since come to like her a great deal. Her comments to journalists "behind the scenes" are witty and self-depracating......She's natural--and I think we'll see more of that in front of the cameras as she grows in confidence! Most importantly, I think she and Charles bring out the best in one another so I'm very happy for both of them!
Old 12-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Courtier

Just hope that the photographers would give Camilla a break and not chase her too much. She seems to be a shy and private person by her nature and I doubt that she would ever change that. She is not interested in the limelight but she will try to cope with it Charles. It takes time for her to be used to it. Marrying Charles means many pressures and many duties. Just hope that Charles knows how to protect his wife and smooth her pressures by this time. It is lucky that Camilla is a matured person and a patient person.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:38 AM
Gentry

Before April 2005 I didn't care much about the British Royal Family. I knew who was who and knew the commonly known "facts" about the Charles/Camilla/Diana triangle. Every now and then there were some headlines in the newspapers saying that Charles and most of all Camilla were the ones to blame for all the mess and what an ugly and bad dressed person Camilla is in comparison with the beautiful and fashionable Diana. I always felt a bit sorry for Camilla because I thought it was so unfair to judge her by her looks.
I took the announcement of the engagement with a sigh of relief: finally they came to a decision!! Then I happened to watch the wedding on TV an I was very pleased that all went well after all these difficulties. Watching Camilla at St. Georges Chapel I thought the picture that was drawn of her by the tabloids simply wasn't the truth. To me she seemed to be a very nice woman.
Since then I'm curious how the story will continue and I think it's amazing how Camilla now copes with beeing a member of the Royal Family. It's almost like she's ever been publicly at Charles' side.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:58 AM

The Camera Business. When Charles announced that he was going to marry Camilla, the Press panicked because they didn't have any photographs of Camilla apart from the odd few of her hunting and kissing Charles. They suddenly needed thousands in their stocks to make sure they could trump every other newspaper. So the media interest is huge because there's money in photographs. Camilla is the most senior female royal after the Queen and so they have to make sure they can do a decent report with pics immediately. Camilla is very good with the press. She gives them their picture and then moves on.

Camilla has really proved herself this year. She has shown that she is capable of being a loving and caring wife as well as dutiful and much-loved Princess. Long may it continue!
Old 12-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Even though Prince Charles had been publicly seeing Camilla for years, I suddenly got pissed off when the engagement was announced. Why? Well, after all that has happened (separation, divorce, and death of Diana) not only will he get his cake and it too but he'll be able to go for seconds! I don't believe Prince Charles was ever happy with Diana nor did he try. No matter what Camilla was always there whether publicly, privately, or in his heart. I don't think the marriage ever had a chance and that is truly sad since we all wanted it to work out for them. In America, we were all rooting for them to give us our fairy tale ending. That's why it hurt us so much. However, I want the prince to be happy and it seems that the duchess is doing her part in ensuring that. I had to remind myself that Princess Di had finally found happiness before her tragic death, so why not give Prince Charles the same chance? I even got a liitle upset when the media slammed her choice of dress at Ground Zero on their recent visit to NYC. In my opinion, the American people was just grateful for the visit and couldn't care less about the color of her dress.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Welcome to the Royal Forums kerry. Yes, I would say most people in the U.S. (and especially in NYC where I live) were grateful for the respect they paid at Ground Zero.

While no one likes a marriage to break down, some Americans are just plain cynical about royals and they didn't care who Charles married whether it was Diana or Camilla - it was all just a bunch of fluff to them. There are some people who didn't followed royals until they were first captivated by Diana and they wanted the fairytale to have a happy ending. And lastly, there were old royal watchers like me who followed the royals from the 70s, before Diana, who had grave reservations about the marriage from the start just because of the age difference and figure that while a divorced Prince of Wales marrying another divorcee in a second marriage is not ideal at least the second marriage has a better chance of surviving. So American opinion runs the gamut.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Welcome to the Royal Forums kerry. Yes, I would say most people in the U.S. (and especially in NYC where I live) were grateful for the respect they paid at Ground Zero.

While no one likes a marriage to break down, some Americans are just plain cynical about royals and they didn't care who Charles married whether it was Diana or Camilla - it was all just a bunch of fluff to them. There are some people who didn't followed royals until they were first captivated by Diana and they wanted the fairytale to have a happy ending. And lastly, there were old royal watchers like me who followed the royals from the 70s, before Diana, who had grave reservations about the marriage from the start just because of the age difference and figure that while a divorced Prince of Wales marrying another divorcee in a second marriage is not ideal at least the second marriage has a better chance of surviving. So American opinion runs the gamut.
Just judging from news reports (I was in Florida at the time of the Tour) most people in the U.S. were indifferent to the C & C Tour, or they weren't even aware they were in the States. As to Ground Zero there were mumblings in the local press about the rather loud color Camilla wore on such hallowed ground-they seemed to feel she should have worn something quieter. I don't know what could be considered suitable but to me Ground Zero is a cemetery-after all many remains were sadly never found. I think maybe something in gray or dark blue but not black-it's a bit late for a funeral imo. Anyway I was frustrated that night after night our local channel only showed a few seconds (or so it seemed) of Royal coverage squeezed between other banal news. I think the students at Georgetown University gave the C & C the best coverage of their tour. My brother's step-daughter goes there and she reported (with her permission I add this here) 'we were all told to be nice, on our best behaviour, and to show the school off to good advantage-we were warned any nasty behaviour would not be tolerated-they both seemed very nice, Charles is rather red-faced (I'm not sure what she meant by that??) she's not pretty exactly but she has nice blue eyes-I wasn't close enough to them to shake hands but it was rather exciting we don't get Royals every day here do we?'. That was the gist of her email.

My memories of Charles and Diana's wedding are vague but I do remember thinking 'he looks too old for her-and she looks too pretty for him'. But that was my childhood self. I do think they really had nothing in common and if only he had made up his mind about Camilla-or if only he had insisted she was 'non-negotiable' way back when. And if only Diana had cut and run the other way when he proposed. Lots of if onlys sad to say.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
. In America, we were all rooting for them to give us our fairy tale ending. .
Hi Kerry, I think you have just about summed it all up in that one sentence.

A lot of people only took their own feelings into account. None of us would really like to force someone else to be in a living hell of a marriage, would we?
I believe this fairytale will finally have a happy ending!:)
Old 01-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Serene Highness

I hadn't thought about this but it's an excellent point!!!! Makes sense the photographers would be tailing her to get some new photos for their use in the days before the marriage and after. Photos sell papers. I think Camilla is behaving very well--despite her not particularly enjoying being photographed, and who can blame her for that???? She actually photographs quite well and wears lovely but not over the top clothing. I think her use of makeup and her hair color suits her beautifully. Whomever is advising her is doing a great job! As to her relationship with the press, I've yet to hear a story of her being sour or unpleasant--and, Goodness knows, it would've been reported!

Truly, it does make sense now that you bring it up that Camilla would be in so demand for photos given the rather limited collection the press had. And I think she has stepped up to the plate beautifully. I actually find her sometimes shy, tentative looks rather endearing. I do hope she's not hounded constantly though. No royal (or anyone) should have cameras in their face everytime they step out the door. It will be interesting to see how she handles her daughter's wedding so as to make sure her daughter is the focus of attention (tho' she carried that off well during PWilliam's graduation ceremonies).

I recently came across a photo of Camilla in Hello or some such publication, taken years ago when her children were small. They were standing in front of a huge, blazing fireplace. She looked very pretty. Wish I could find the image so I could scan and post.....but it may well be here somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
The Camera Business. When Charles announced that he was going to marry Camilla, the Press panicked because they didn't have any photographs of Camilla apart from the odd few of her hunting and kissing Charles. They suddenly needed thousands in their stocks to make sure they could trump every other newspaper. So the media interest is huge because there's money in photographs. Camilla is the most senior female royal after the Queen and so they have to make sure they can do a decent report with pics immediately. Camilla is very good with the press. She gives them their picture and then moves on.

Camilla has really proved herself this year. She has shown that she is capable of being a loving and caring wife as well as dutiful and much-loved Princess. Long may it continue!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:39 PM

I'm glad I could be of help maryshawn! I get so annoyed with people saying Camilla is horsey and ugly - she isn't. When I look at her now, she seems to glow. She just has a natural beauty that shines right through in everything she does. I have a clip of her seeing a friend at the wedding - I'll see if I can link it. It really does show a wonderful side to Camilla we rarely see - her voice is rich and wonderful, she's funny and caring , happy and yes - pretty. Now, let me find that clip!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

That would be great! I would love to see/hear it! (I've heard her voice but muffled in clips where the announcer was talking over her--which was annoying as I wanted to hear her voice, not his!!!!)

I have a brother in law who is a very accomplished photographer/cinematographer. He was taking some photos of us the other day and I showed him some of Christie Brinkley at 52's recent photos for CoverGirl. He said and showed me how photos can be so easily manipulated to make someone look better--and worse. In other words, some of the older photos of Camilla were taken at less than flattering angles as if to play up the image of her looking "horsey" (which she clearly doesn't). I've also noticed many were in black and white which totally obscured her coloring. In short, media manipulation can extend to how someone is photographed if the media is trying to project the image they want to project of someone.

All that being said, I think she is looking marvelous. And I think the media has been pleasantly surprised now that they've had the chance to interact with her and discover she's so kind and gracious.

Quote:
I'm glad I could be of help maryshawn! I get so annoyed with people saying Camilla is horsey and ugly - she isn't. When I look at her now, she seems to glow. She just has a natural beauty that shines right through in everything she does. I have a clip of her seeing a friend at the wedding - I'll see if I can link it. It really does show a wonderful side to Camilla we rarely see - her voice is rich and wonderful, she's funny and caring , happy and yes - pretty. Now, let me find that clip!
Old 01-01-2006, 04:09 PM

I've posted it in the Camilla and the Public thread - sorry, I forgot which thread I'd mentioned it in! I hope you like - personally, I love it and it makes me all warm and fuzzy everytime I see it.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I get so annoyed with people saying Camilla is horsey and ugly - she isn't.
My post above wasn't meant that way. Just want to clarify this. Personally I think that there is something really attractive about her. That a lot of people think of Camilla as ugly, horsey etc. is probably because for a long time only the worst pictures of her were published.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:25 PM

Oh no Gladys, I wasn't commenting on your post. I was speaking in general - I thought your post was very true.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
I recently came across a photo of Camilla in Hello or some such publication, taken years ago when her children were small. They were standing in front of a huge, blazing fireplace. She looked very pretty. Wish I could find the image so I could scan and post.....but it may well be here somewhere.
I know what picture you mean. It's in a magazine I bought a couple of months ago and it's one of the pictures of Camilla I like most. I don't know if it would be possible to scan and post it here because of copyright reasons.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys
My post above wasn't meant that way. Just want to clarify this. Personally I think that there is something really attractive about her. That a lot of people think of Camilla as ugly, horsey etc. is probably because for a long time only the worst pictures of her were published.
I didn't read your post to mean that and I agree, they chose the pictures that did not do her justice.:)

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, public opinion