Camilla & Charles: What Is Your Opinion Now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elspeth said:
Well, I'm not sure what period of the relationship they were referring to, but I don't think it was any great secret by then that Charles and Camilla were having an affair which had resumed during Charles's marriage.

The point I was making is that, as with everything, people only see what they want to see. Diana made no accusation or statement of fact regarding Camilla and Charles having an affair before the 1994 date he admitted to, she also admitted to one of her affairs at that date. It was all left to the fertile imaginations of her 'fans'.

Katemac has said, but when I do post ONE post that criticizes charles and or camilla I hear from their fans. One should be able to give their view. This is one of only two forums that people can actually talk about their admiration for Camilla and Charles without the unmoderated attacks seen on most other forums, IMO.

Skydragon said:
This is one of only two forums that people can actually talk about their admiration for Camilla and Charles without the unmoderated attacks seen on most other forums, IMO.

Yes I've noticed the same thing, this is one of the few forums where we can freely discuss our likes and dislikes about Camilla, Charles, and Diana without worrying that people will become unglued ... the moderators do a good job in allowing a balance in the threads and stepping in when tempers get flared.

PreDoc said:
Yes I've noticed the same thing, this is one of the few forums where we can freely discuss our likes and dislikes about Camilla, Charles, and Diana without worrying that people will become unglued ... the moderators do a good job in allowing a balance in the threads and stepping in when tempers get flared.

I totally agree. Also the posters here seem to be more open-minded and ready to listen to others' views and opinions and in return comment on them sensibly.

I don't know if we're beholden to the moderators here or not, but so many other forums get posts which are "broken records" of the same diatribes over and over. Way to go TRF MODS!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence and appreciation ladies. We as moderators want to enjoy the forum as members just as much as you do and its easy to enjoy the discussions here when people are trying to listen to each other rather than repeating the same old attacks over and over.

My thought is that if a member's opinion about Camilla now is made solely on the basis that she had a relationship with Charles during his first marriage, that member's opinion is not going to change by anything new said here.

I respect that opinion and there are still royals that I don't have a good opinion of despite new information about them but after awhile it becomes pretty pointless to keep repeating that in the threads. I also think it becomes pretty pointless to keep refuting a person that just repeats the same thing over and over even though its tempting to do so.

What we meant as moderators when we opened this thread up to talk about their relationship during their first marriages was to give people an outlet for expressing their sincere opinions since it was understandable that people would have opinions on their relationship during the previous marriages and that would influence people's perceptions now. We didn't intend to start a standoff between opposing parties that don't listen to each other and instead get into arcane detail about who said what when or who cheated first when all this happened several years ago. I'm not saying that everyone has been doing a standoff but things have been rather tense and when we get to the point of interpreting exactly what Diana meant by a certain statement in her interview that occurred 11 years ago, the original purpose of the thread can get lost.

I understand it is tempting to discuss and as you've seen the moderators can enjoy taking part in the discussions as members too but speaking both as a member that has participated in the rehashing and now as a moderator who is concerned about the direction of the thread, I don't think rehashing things that happened years ago over and over is going to change anyone's opinions and it discourages people from discussing their opinions based on Camilla in the present which was the original focus of the thread.

What princejohnny meant from the beginning of the thread was to talk about our opinions of Camilla now that we've had a chance to take a look at her in action since her marriage. People's opinions of Camilla can still change from negative to positive and in some cases from positive to negative just based on what we see now but until last year, we didn't have the chance.

So let's move away from going into detail about the Panorama interview and exactly when Charles and Camilla started their affair.

Charles and Camilla are doing enough nowadays for us to discuss our opinions.

ysbel
British forums moderator

Last edited:
ysbel said:
So let's move away from going into detail about the Panorama interview and exactly when Charles and Camilla started their affair.

Charles and Camilla are doing enough nowadays for us to discuss our opinions.

Thanks for posting your position as both moderator and discussing member. I agree you are right in trying to keep the thread ontopic - and want to add that I like the style in which these forums keep the balance between discussion and the exchange of arguments. Thank you and your collegues for doing a good job.

But I hope it is allowed to ask if somebody could point me eventually to another thread where the facts of the timeline of the triangle Camilla, Charles and Diana have already been discussed? Thank you very much in advance - I tried to find something but failed so far.

I think Camilla is wonderful, she is doing a marvelous job, one many tried to say she could never do. She is growing in popularity and not just because she makes Charles so happy but, because of the warm and caring person everyone can see for themselves.

She is IMO a wonderful Princess of Wales/Duchess of Cornwall and will make a fantastic Queen Consort when the time comes. I don't believe that Camilla has ever wanted to be in the limelight but, because she loves Charles with a deep and abiding passion, that is the sacrifice she is prepared to make. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, Skydragon.
I am always touching by the way Camilla loves Prince Charles. She does everything in her power to support and encourage the man she loves for more than three decades. George VI was lucky enough to have Queen Mother but Charles and Camilla lost the qualification to marry at the first place.It is such a sad thing for all people involveled. I am relieved that everything has been put back and just hope that Charles can become a better future King with the woman he loves by his side.

Jo of Palatine said:
Thanks for posting your position as both moderator and discussing member. I agree you are right in trying to keep the thread ontopic - and want to add that I like the style in which these forums keep the balance between discussion and the exchange of arguments. Thank you and your collegues for doing a good job.

But I hope it is allowed to ask if somebody could point me eventually to another thread where the facts of the timeline of the triangle Camilla, Charles and Diana have already been discussed? Thank you very much in advance - I tried to find something but failed so far.

You'll find some information in the Charles and Diana relationship thread.

ysbel said:
You'll find some information in the Charles and Diana relationship thread.

Thank you Ysbel and Skydragon for pointing me to the older thread.
I read through most of it and thought it's interesting that both the Charles/Diana-marriage and now the Charles/Camilla-marriage started in a time when the public view on things started changing.

With Charles & Diana the free spirits of the 1968 -1970ties had reached even the Royal family and the whole story seems in retrospective to be shaped by the way the media and the public reacted to it. Or - another point of view - this time not about the observers who gave a platform to the people involved but about the acting personage themselves: does anybody believe that without 1968 plus the future queen of Britain would have dared harrassing a married man? Would the future king of Britain felt forced to tell his side of the story via TV? It was a time of a change in society when the Truth (or whatever that is ;) ) seemed to be so important that each and every person was looking for it.

Today, at least in my opinion, times have changed again: after what Europe's economies have been through, people are seeking IMHO more for comfort, not adventure. In their own and in other's life. This common wish for some sort of private escape leads IMHO to the wish and the ability to see positive things instead of negatives when it comes to the most prominent symbols of society. Thus most people want to read positive things about Charles & Camilla, the press wants to publish them - a public wish that might even communicate itself to both the prince and his wife. It's some sort of interaction: slowly I come to think it is strange (or even ridiculous) to call Camilla the "Duchess of C." when she has a legal right to be the "Princess of W." and does nothing but behaving accordingly. (As an aside: I wonder when the media will start calling her Charles' princess.... or something similar in order to pave the way for a real acceptance of the next queen of Britain.

OTOH I'm not sure if the Morton-book would be possible today or would have been possible in the 1960ties. I'm sure though that in the 1960ties Prince Joachim and Prince Alexandra would have found a way to stay together while the way they actually divorced is typical for the way we want to see things handled nowadays.

Jo of Palatine said:
Today, at least in my opinion, times have changed again: after what Europe's economies have been through, people are seeking IMHO more for comfort, not adventure. In their own and in other's life. This common wish for some sort of private escape leads IMHO to the wish and the ability to see positive things instead of negatives when it comes to the most prominent symbols of society. Thus most people want to read positive things about Charles & Camilla, the press wants to publish them - a public wish that might even communicate itself to both the prince and his wife. It's some sort of interaction: slowly I come to think it is strange (or even ridiculous) to call Camilla the "Duchess of C." when she has a legal right to be the "Princess of W." and does nothing but behaving accordingly. (As an aside: I wonder when the media will start calling her Charles' princess.... or something similar in order to pave the way for a real acceptance of the next queen of Britain.

A very insightful and thoughtful perspective ... I am rarely impressed by the things people write on these "popular" threads, so I thank you Jo :)

no offence. really random but -
camillia NEEDS BRACES or something to correct her teeth.
so she can look better when she smiles.

she is doing a marvelous job, one many tried to say she could never do.

That's probably because no one ever really believed she would be in the position she is now. I certainly know I did'nt.

I think its beneficial for many, seeing a side to Camilla that was never expressed before the engagement.

I'm not a fan of hers but I follow her progress from time to time to see how she is coming along in her role and thus far, I am glade to see her executing her responsibilties as Duchess of Cornwall with much ease.

Willl HRH make a good Princess Consort? All arrows point to yes...I am sure she shall make her King very happy, just as she seems to do now.

"MII"

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
Oh, I could understand it, but I don't see that she could have cooked her goose any more effectively if she'd been trying. During the Queen's lifetime, if the Queen isn't queen in people's hearts she's in trouble, seeing as how we have a constitutional monarchy. During Charles's reign, she was apparently expecting that any wife of Charles's wouldn't be really accepted as Queen, and during William's reign (it was, after all, a reasonable expectation that she'd outlive Charles), she was still expecting that the actual Queen would play second fiddle to the Queen of Hearts. To me, it was one of the most deeply selfish things she ever said, and I remember thinking at the time that the Queen must have been dismayed. It was an almost overt declaration of war.

I am reminded of the ringing-stinging message pointed directly at the monarchy, delivered by Diana's brother Charles, at her funeral. It appears that "overt declarations of war" is a Spencer tradition, or more properly a Burke Roche tradition.

Perhaps that family never learned how to handle stress, discord, and disappointment. They all seemed rather childish in their excessive (and self-serving) emotionalism. I recall some rather dramatic statements by Frances Shand Kydd that were a bit "over the top" so that may be where it comes from.

Diana was a chaos-maker and seemed to thrive on drama. Camilla, in contrast, just seems so blessedly normal. It is impossible to imagine her calling a press conference to discuss her "feelings" or "problems in her marriage." The notion is ludicrous; she is far too royal to ever put a spotlight on herself. She has been silent about personal matters for decades, so I doubt she will change now. In fact, Camilla looks and acts like a born royal.

Northernchoir
"In fact, Camilla looks and acts like a born royal'

I can't resist.Although I don't really believed the rumor. Maybe Camilla really is the King's great, great granddaughter. :)

cde said:
Northernchoir
"In fact, Camilla looks and acts like a born royal'

I can't resist.Although I don't really believed the rumor. Maybe Camilla really is the King's great, great granddaughter. :)

Naughty Naughty ;) ;) ;)

Ewwww, I certainly hope not :eek:

At least no children will be born from this union!

"MI"

like many others, i was a Diana fan and then a fan of British monarchy. in the early years, i felt for Diana whole-heartedly. but after i know more about the whole thing, my attitude changes. i like the way Camilla posed herself, i like the way she acted as a princess.

as i live far from Britain, i don't get much information about British monarchy. most news i read in recent years about the monarchy are about the death of diana, the love triangle, or any romance possibiliy for the young princes. many books are published on Diana(and the love triangle) here. but some information i got from the books are contradictory to what i read in the thread/ on this forum. for example, ysbel said, there was no evidence Camilla&Charles had an affair since their marriage. but in many books, there is a story about how Diana found a button with C&C , which Camilla gave Charles to remind him of their love the day after the wedding,and how she cried on britannica the yacht. i read it so many times so i took it as true...but now i'm not sure. i wonder which information /book/newspaper can be trusted?

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
Ewwww, I certainly hope not :eek:

At least no children will be born from this union!

"MI"

Don't say that, who knows... As recently as a few months ago Britain's oldest Mom gave birth at the age of 64, so Charles and Camilla still have 6-7 years :D :rolleyes: ;)

Avalon said:
Don't say that, who knows... As recently as a few months ago Britain's oldest Mom gave birth at the age of 64, so Charles and Camilla still have 6-7 years :D :rolleyes: ;)

I stand by sentiments! :rolleyes:

"MII"

Last edited:
florawindsor said:
as for example, ysbel said, there was no evidence Camilla&Charles had an affair since their marriage. but in many books, there is a story about how Diana found a button with C&C , which Camilla gave Charles to remind him of their love the day after the wedding,and how she cried on britannica the yacht. i read it so many times so i took it as true...but now i'm not sure. i wonder which information /book/newspaper can be trusted?

Charles and Camilla have never stopped loved each other but they wanted to keep close friendships and let Camilla remains as Charles's confidant. If there is no adultery involved, it may be not really regarded as unfaithfulness. After all Charles does have habits to keep good relationships with old flames. Camilla is among one of them but she is very special to Charles. Personlly I believed what Charles said. He confessed, he intended to honour his marriage vows and he tried to save his marriage.Diana and he should have never married because they are in two different worlds.

I am a Chinese as well. I know how hard it is to find some reliable information about the royalty. Just not reliable on all reports because they often have biases and they quote from taboilds which often have false news.

florawindsor said:
in many books, there is a story about how Diana found a button with C&C , which Camilla gave Charles to remind him of their love the day after the wedding,and how she cried on britannica the yacht. i read it so many times so i took it as true...but now i'm not sure. i wonder which information /book/newspaper can be trusted?

Hi Florawindsor, It was a pair of monogrammed cufflinks that Charles had (we don't know if they had been given before the wedding or months/years before) but, I just think it shows that Diana was unstable. People get comfortable with their jewellry, especially men (if they wear it). Would anyone think to search their new husbands bedside drawer or their jewel case, would any normal husband/wife insist that everything to do with previous relationships be thrown away?

I certainly hope not, otherwise I would have to throw out some of my most treasured stuff!:D

Only people who knew them all can ever have more than a glimmer of what went on and even those that knew them can't really know all the truth. All you can do is listen to both sides and realise that sometimes silence speaks volumes. :)

Last edited:
Avalon said:

Oh Avalon, you are so bad. :cool:

But then so many give you so much scope. How can you help yourself. :D :D

ps: Keep it up. Laughter really is the best medicine. :p

florawindsor said:
ysbel said, there was no evidence Camilla&Charles had an affair since their marriage. but in many books, there is a story about how Diana found a button with C&C , which Camilla gave Charles to remind him of their love the day after the wedding,and how she cried on britannica the yacht. i read it so many times so i took it as true...but now i'm not sure. i wonder which information /book/newspaper can be trusted?

Hi flora I think you must have missed my posts describing how Charles had a tendency to keep friendships with old girlfriends throughout the seventies. Charles' closest friend before the marriage was Lady Kanga. We have no way of knowing how many other contacts, presents, Charles had from his old girlfriends during the beginning of his marriage because the stories about him and Camilla came out many many years later when it was clear that they were seeing each other. With Charles and Camilla together, it would have hardly been newsworthy if he had worn something from Kanga.

To answer your question about which sources are more reliable, I take anything released after the marriage was in trouble (1988-onward) with a hefty grain of salt.

MARG said:
Oh Avalon, you are so bad. :cool:

But then so many give you so much scope. How can you help yourself. :D

ps: Keep it up. Laughter really is the best medicine. :p

Dear me, am I that bad? :D:p . Just don't give up my hope :rolleyes: :p
Had they married a few years earlier, I would simply love to see their kid/s! :D :D

thanks you guys for your replys;)

love_cc said:
I am a Chinese as well. I know how hard it is to find some reliable information about the royalty. Just not reliable on all reports because they often have biases and they quote from taboilds which often have false news.
thanks love_cc . so nice to see a fellow countryman here:);)

Avalon said:
Dear me, am I that bad? :D:p . Just don't give up my hope :rolleyes: :p
Had they married a few years earlier, I would simply love to see their kid/s! :D :D

So would I! :D

Give up on you, certainly not, you are like a breath of fresh air! :D

Skydragon said:
So would I! :D

Give up on you, certainly not, you are like a breath of fresh air! :D

You are flattering me! :eek: :D Glad I was ever able to make you (or anyone else) laugh. :D That will make my day! :D:p

Last edited:
Avalon said:
You are flattering me! :eek: :D Glad I was ever able to make you (or anyone else) laugh. :D That will make my day! :D:p

Avalon, you and Skydragon make my day. :p :D :p :D

Should we all hug now?

Warren said:
Should we all hug now?

Warren, with your wicked sense of humour and quick turn of wit, I think you should join in the huggy session! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom