The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 05-14-2006, 12:37 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Oh I think there were some genuine people who were serious Royal watchers and didn't like Camilla but the average joe didn't have a clue who she was or what she'd supposedly done but they got led into the opinion by the media which happens every day and is why I don't bother with newspapers anymore.

You are right - Camilla did keep herself out of the public eye and it must have been horrific for her. All those awful things said about her and she must have wanted to scream and give an interview clearing her name but she just let them do it.
__________________

__________________
  #362  
Old 05-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita
... but many of the biographies I've read on the BRF including Kitty Brown's The Royals, made reference to the incident...
Do you mean Kitty Kelly? If so, one should be wary of quoting her as a source. Kitty Kelly's exposés are notorious for factual errors and the presentation of gossip as fact.
__________________

__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
  #363  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita
I see where you're coming from. I cannot say it's secure information for certain, but many of the biographies I've read on the BRF including Kitty Brown's The Royals, made reference to the incident that occured between DOC and POW before POW's wedding and that it actually happened. Of course, that could be false and I apoligize for adding to the continuation of such information if it is.
.
I am not being nasty when I ask if you have read through the three Charles/Camilla/Diana threads that had to be closed down. Evidence for many of the 'facts' put about by the media and various authors were shown to be lies.

The fact is, IMO, that had Diana been happily settled, Camilla would not be getting this debate about her suitability from some people. :)
__________________
  #364  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Margrethe II's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 917
An affair represents quite the same disgust and hurt for anyone of a maturing mind. It can, and often is, felt just as hard for the child as it is the parent...

"MII"
__________________
  #365  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:44 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
The way children respond to a parent's affair can be vastly different from child to child. Some children take it to heart and cut off relationship with the offending parent while other children have no problem making a new relationship with their parent's new significant other. I don't think one type of child loves their parents any more or less than the other type, they just respond differently.

Both of William's and Harry's parents gave them enough affairs to be hurt by. In a situation like that, and with children needing both parents, it can be hard to see one parent as the good guy and the other parent as the bad guy.

Its just as natural for the children to just want the pain to stop wherever it comes from but as I said, children are far too diverse for us to say there is a right way or wrong way for a child to respond to something like that.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #366  
Old 05-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
The trouble is we are not talking about how William or Harry felt about it, we are talking about how some people who were not affected and didn't even know them personally have reacted and continue to react.

What anyone but the husband and wife concerned, consider black and white, is normally just a murky shade of grey. As time passes and even a 40 year old matures still further, most people can see what the hidden problems might have been and find a little forgiveness.

Do people hate every car driver who has ever been in a crash (even if it wasn't their fault) no, of course not. Why, because every circumstance is different.

To judge and condemn Camilla solely for the situation is a little one sided, when as you say, all of them were unfaithful.
__________________
  #367  
Old 05-14-2006, 04:21 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
I agree with you for the most part, skydragon, but that wasn't quite my point. People don't like to see children get hurt so its natural to dislike adults that we see as putting a child in a hurtful situation even if we weren't personally affected.

What I meant is that from the children's point of view, things can look a whole lot different than it does for adults looking in. Some children condemn their parents for a lot less than an adult would and others forgive their parents for something that adults would find hard to forgive. The whys and wherefores of a child's reaction can be puzzling to adults.

We can dislike either Charles, Camilla, or Diana for the hurt we think that William and Harry suffered but we really don't know how William and Harry themselves viewed the situation. Their view of the situation could be very different than ours. Right now in public they seem to be very warm towards Camilla so all we can conclude is that they appear to accepted the relationship at least to a certain point because from what we've seen, they've shown us nothing else to believe otherwise.

From what I've read, William primarily blames the press for the troubles his parents had, and while I can't verify it for sure; it seems to make sense based on his readiness to take on the press in defence of his girlfriend, Kate.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #368  
Old 05-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 161
It seems as if the princes have made the best out of the situation and whatever they may have felt or didn't feel has no bearing on how they view Camilla now. They have accepted her and she them. That they have accepted Camilla with all the history and the media blitz that went with it shows a sign of maturity and wisdom that I know for sure that I would and do not have even at 22. LOL. And I think in the end, that's what Diana would have wanted; her children to just be happy and well-adjusted, and learning from the mistakes she made as a parent, wife, or whatever. I think the most valuable thing that Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall have taught everyone is that is better to marry for love than for any other reason.
__________________
  #369  
Old 05-15-2006, 04:06 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Sadly, people don't judge Camilla for upsetting the children with her affair with Charles, otherwise they would have to dislike Diana for writing about it, her own affairs and all her other problems with Charles' and her own family, which she put into the public domain.

The reason most of them dislike Camilla is because she replaced their 'idea' of a princess.

I wonder how any of us would cope with the terrible things Camilla has had said about her, based as I said, on what the media wanted us to believe.
__________________
  #370  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Nad25's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 367
Id like to comment on some who said that Camilla wasnt treated bad by people, i think thats far from it! Camilla was treated bad by people and the media both were horrible to her...she used to go to supermarkets and people used to through all kinds of things at her and she used to affoid going to places because she used to get all sorts of nasty comments thrown at her!!!
__________________
''The feeling remains that God is on the journey, too." - Saint Teresa of Avila.
  #371  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ., United States
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
The reason most of them dislike Camilla is because she replaced their 'idea' of a princess.
Camilla is undeniably a much more mentally stable Princess of Wales than Diana was. That isn't to diminish Diana at all though. I adored the late princess, not only because she was beautiful with a heart of gold, but primarily because of the love of her children.

You brought up a good point about Camilla replacing people's ideas of a 'princess': looking towards the future, her style seems more in line with previous Queen Consorts of the last century (with the exception of Alexandra). Presumably, this should serve her very well.
__________________
  #372  
Old 05-15-2006, 07:21 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
The reason most of them dislike Camilla is because she replaced their 'idea' of a princess.
I think you are right Skydragon. From the moment of her engagement Diana was portrayed as the storybook 'Princess'. Reality didn't have a lot to do with it. And when the end of the marriage loomed, I think the media lashed out, seeing their 'front page spreads' and endless tabloid gold in dire danger of ending.

Their response was to create a wicked fairy/stepmother evil to the bone. Never let it be said that they let the truth get in way of a good headline - paycheque!

To be honest, I don't think Camilla stood a chance with all the vicious publicity generated in aid of a 'headline'.:(

How wonderful it is that time and reality have started to win and people are beginning to see the DOC as a warm and loving wife and stepmother. Someone who is there behind them, backing them all the way. Supporting and encouraging with love and understanding. She seems to have no need to be in the front of the news, but part of the story with her husband and stepchildren. All envolved seem to be enjoying the situation.

May we all continue to see a renewed and reinvigorated Prince Charles and a carefree Prince William and Prince Harry.

Thankyou Camilla for enabling our Prince to be the man we all thought he could be.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #373  
Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
PreDoc - I am not trying to diminish Dianas love for her children in any way but, what everyone seems to miss, is the real and genuine love Camilla also has for these young men.

No stepmother would wish to replace a biological mother but, the love they have for her, seems genuine. Lets be honest, to gain the love and trust of a stepchild must be one of the hardest things in the world.
__________________
  #374  
Old 05-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita
Wow if that's true, that's a shame. I can only say that my family and some of the people I know who are British were staunch Diana fans from the get go. But the media does play a big part in what the rest of the world thinks because obviously that's where we get the info from. But you never really heard much about DOC and what she was doing because she definitely kept herself out of the public eye.
She had to keep herself out of the public eye!
With her past as the mistress to the Prince of Wales, while still married to Andrew Parker Bowles, and her involvment in the relationship of DIana and Charles, there was nothing for her to come forward with. I am sure in a couple of more years when she has built up her credibility and has an "open" history with the prince and the people, she may have something to say and come forward in some way, but you will NEVER hear her speak on anything prior to her marriage!! IMO...
__________________
  #375  
Old 05-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Margrethe II's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 917
Most people (generally speaking) dont think of the Duchess as a Princess, although, we all know she is infact a Princess by the graces of her marriage.

Quote:
Lets be honest, to gain the love and trust of a stepchild must be one of the hardest things in the world.
If they're already young adults, then yes!


"MII"
__________________
  #376  
Old 05-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Julie
I am sure in a couple of more years when she has built up her credibility and has an "open" history with the prince and the people, she may have something to say and come forward in some way, but you will NEVER hear her speak on anything prior to her marriage!! IMO...
I doubt very much if Camilla will ever give an interview, according to friends who have spoken 'on the record' Camilla intends to go to her grave without speaking publicly. She's from the Queen Mother school of royals "Never complain, never explain"

(The Queen Mother never gave an interview in her lifetime)
__________________
  #377  
Old 05-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Sadly, people don't judge Camilla for upsetting the children with her affair with Charles, otherwise they would have to dislike Diana for writing about it, her own affairs and all her other problems with Charles' and her own family, which she put into the public domain.

The reason most of them dislike Camilla is because she replaced their 'idea' of a princess.

I wonder how any of us would cope with the terrible things Camilla has had said about her, based as I said, on what the media wanted us to believe.
You are not giving camilla enough credit here. She is tough! I think, too the reason most dislike camilla is because they remember the manipulating that went on. eg. helping to select the bride; trying to befriend her when camilla and charles had been envolved; for suggesting "she's as quiet as a mouse - won't be any bother"! For not tending to her own marriage! Those are my reasons.There is something sneaky about her, IMO of course!(Before Diana came totally into the picture)
__________________
  #378  
Old 05-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1
I doubt very much if Camilla will ever give an interview, according to friends who have spoken 'on the record' Camilla intends to go to her grave without speaking publicly. She's from the Queen Mother school of royals "Never complain, never explain"

Different generation and a different audience. I think as Camilla gets more comfortable within her role and as I said, has an open history with the prince and the people, you will see her speaking on behalf of some of her charities and interests, etc.
(The Queen Mother never gave an interview in her lifetime)
Different generation and a different audience. I think as Camilla gets more comfortable within her role and as I said, has an open history with the prince and the people, you will see her speaking on behalf of some of her charities and interests, etc:)
__________________
  #379  
Old 05-17-2006, 09:01 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Camilla has given mini-interviews. She spoke directly to the cameras in New Orleans and in Egypt.
__________________
  #380  
Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Kate Julie

Everything you have said is just gossip put about by Diana and the media she used. Do you have any corroborating evidence from anyone who was there and actually heard or saw any of this? I am convinced, as I said, the main reason most of them dislike Camilla is because she replaced their 'idea' of a princess but, of course they didn't have to live with the reality.

Good grief, if one of her crimes was to try to befriend Diana, then the rest of Charles' set and his family must be terrible people as well. Isn't that what everyone does when someone 'new' is introduced into a group. Thank goodness for friends like Camilla, willing to welcome new people.

The job Camilla is doing, for her husband and for her country is IMO wonderful and has actually made the people disillusioned with the celebrity culture, more interested in royalty.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, public opinion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker-Bowles: 9 April 2005 Claire Royal Weddings 469 07-03-2014 07:36 PM
King Charles and Queen Camilla BeatrixFan The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 1068 01-22-2007 01:10 PM
Charles and Camilla: Current events 1: Aug - Sept 2005 Elspeth Current Events Archive 194 09-12-2005 12:46 AM
Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles 2: July - Nov 2003 Alexandria Current Events Archive 163 11-21-2003 04:52 PM
Charles And Camilla news and pics 1: Oct 2002 - Oct 2003 Lorraine Current Events Archive 134 10-31-2003 10:31 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games ottoman pregnancy president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess madeleine princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]