The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:56 AM

My opinion of Camilla was high before the Anniversary but now, when I look - it's higher. People expected alot of Camilla - and I think the Palace did too. Maybe some of us did. We wanted her to come onto the scene and be the perfect Royal wife and get accepted straight away and be Queen etc etc etc. But for Camilla, that doesn't seem to be what it's all about.

As a Royal Consort, she is perfect and I think most people would agree that she has the Queen Mother's personality. Down-to-Earth, but she can be regal when it's called for. She's frank and honest whilst retaining a certain amount of mystique. She's caring, kind and friendly - and all of those things we saw in the Queen Mother. To watch Charles and Camilla 'at work' is amazing. They don't seperate and do their own thing. They work as a team. She walks just behind him, the little girls give her the flowers and he speaks to the men whilst Camilla handles the women. Charles guides her and Camilla lets him. If it's difficult, he helps her. For example, when they were in Egypt - he saw that Camilla was struggling so he linked arms and helped her up. They have the same working relationship as the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have.

As a wife, I'm not sure how we can judge but from what I see, she makes Charles not only happy, but comfortable. Charles has had almost 10 years of being bumbling Charlie with his strange views on farming and architecture. He's been lonely and had to raise two boys on his own. His unhappiness showed. He looked a bit grumpy and "woe is me" but now he doesn't. Now, he's a new man just like Haakon was when he married Mette-Marit.

So, my opinion of Camilla now is that she's great for Charles and great for the country. Whatever she calls herself, she's my Princess and she'll be my Queen - and I'm very happy that we've got such a bright and fresh couple in our Monarchy.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
My opinion of Camilla was high before the Anniversary but now, when I look - it's higher...
Great words, BeatrixFan! I sign under that! Couldn't say it better myself. :)

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanks Avalon! :)
Old 04-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
My opinion of Camilla was high before the Anniversary but now, when I look - it's higher. People expected alot of Camilla - and I think the Palace did too..........
So, my opinion of Camilla now is that she's great for Charles and great for the country. Whatever she calls herself, she's my Princess and she'll be my Queen - and I'm very happy that we've got such a bright and fresh couple in our Monarchy.
I agree wholeheartedly with all you wrote BeatrixFan!
They will make a brilliant King and Queen!
Old 04-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

I second that! (Quelle surprise, as the French would say... )

What I like so much about Camilla is that she makes Charles a very happy man and that's a good thing. He has been unhappy for quite some time and I love seeing him all smiles and so at ease. They make a wonderful couple and as Skydragon says: a good King and Queen too! :)
Old 04-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Courtier

I agree with the latest posts...
Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Commoner

Quote:
As a Royal Consort, she is perfect and I think most people would agree that she has the Queen Mother's personality. Down-to-Earth, but she can be regal when it's called for. She's frank and honest whilst retaining a certain amount of mystique. She's caring, kind and friendly - and all of those things we saw in the Queen Mother.
Well, Charles always did admire his granny, and he seemed to want a mother figure, so it looks as though he's got exactly what he wanted.

I hope Camilla doesn't have the Queen Mother's self-centred hypocrisy, though.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda
I hope Camilla doesn't have the Queen Mother's self-centred hypocrisy, though.
Say What .

I don't think so .

Excellent backhand, but!
Old 04-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda
Well, Charles always did admire his granny, and he seemed to want a mother figure, so it looks as though he's got exactly what he wanted.
Camilla is not that much older than him and is, it would seem, far from a mother figure!

Yes, he finally got what he wanted, the woman he loves and who loves him. How wonderful, I hope that everyone could be so lucky. :)
Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well so far Camilla hasn't shown the Queen Mother's tendency to hold grudges forever and that has to be a good thing.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Courtier

It was the respective perspective of a matriarch..a mother, a grandmother and a great grandmother...a lady whom doted on her grandson and he her, yet, knew the image of monarchy as something greater than both and all of them combined (one must be worthy of its representation, but we are only human). Anything that damaged the Monarchy's reputation was a blow to her, a blow to her daughter and a blow to the whole concept that is the British Monarchy. She seemed to take it personally & I can understand that. I could not fault her for feeling the way she did & I shall not.

"MII"
Old 04-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Well so far Camilla hasn't shown the Queen Mother's tendency to hold grudges forever and that has to be a good thing.
Camilla has been very magnanimous in her dealings with all the little worms that have slighted her over the years. As you say, lucky for them that she does not hold grudges!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Aristocracy

I agree with the comments/opinions expressed by BeatrixFan. But I wonder if any of this would have been possible if Diana still lived or if the marriage happened years earlier.

It just goes to show you that marriage without love seldom works
Old 04-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Courtier

It is indifferent, what had happened, if ...
They are now married, they do show us now what great team they are.
I for myself before marriage had no great interest in them. I knew there was a couple in difficulty, but love. But I had more interests for other things. But I watched the wedding on tv and did fall in love with them. Since then I look for every step of them and I am a really big fan of both.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Think they make a great team
Old 04-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Nobility

Shes doing a great job shes making our future king happy,so good luck to them both! No one can change what happened in the past, but they can only look forward to their future together.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad25
Shes doing a great job shes making our future king happy,so good luck to them both! No one can change what happened in the past, but they can only look forward to their future together.
Very well said :)
Old 04-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad25
Shes doing a great job shes making our future king happy, so good luck to them both! No one can change what happened in the past, but they can only look forward to their future together.
Well said and we can look forward to when they become our great King and Queen!:)
Old 04-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Nobility

My opinion hasn't changed : I like Camilla and Charles, wish them all happiness in the world for the future and hope that they will one day become Queen ang King of England !:) :) :)
Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

I too think she has done a great job. I have always liked Charles (I don't love anyone I haven't met and spent a lot of time with and can't understand how anyone who doesn't really know these people personally can claim to love them) and I was upset to see how sad he was during his first marriage - almost from the start he seemed sad to me but in his second marriage he reminds me of the young Prince Charles who was happy and fun. This is the Prince Charles I came to admire in the late 60s and the 70s and it has taken Camilla to give him back to us - for that I will always hold in her high esteem.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, public opinion