The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Then how do you explain his string of involvements with non-titled woman vetted as possible Queens - like Davina Sheffield? Who I think I focus on because it was the first moment I really thought he was going to marry - that she was it. Imagine if she had been the one? She seemed a modest sort - not flashy. Too bad it didn't work out.
They still came from the aristocracy and not the lower levels. Look at their father's as you have listed them
The Duke of Wellington (and Jane is still unmarried)
Santa Cruz was never a serious contender - wrong religion
Davina Sheffield's father was LORD McGowan - so a titled family
The others weren't serious contenders really.

In all seriousness the only ones who really were serious contenders were the Spencer girls, Lady Jane Wellesley and maybe at a stretch Davina Sheffield. The rest were flirtations - like Camilla at the time - good enough to have some fun with but the serious wifely one had to come from the right level of society. Camilla, I think realised that and never seriously considered herself a potential wife for Charles in the early 70s - sadly as it turns out but as a result William has been able to marry Kate, from an even lower class (and I hate that word but it is the only one that applied) than Camilla was in the 1970s.

Charles was a flirt in the 70s and had a string of girlfriends but the only ones seriously considered suitable to be his bride came from the limited upper echelons of society.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Serene Highness

All the might-have-beens and if only's: if only the IRA bombing had not succeeded probably is the first one, then surely we would have seen a Princess Jane, not so, or Princess Amanda? Or had Charles not felt so disoriented by the press' frenzy and had waited - would the times have allowed him to continue being unwed? The press at that time was so crazy.

Still, the more I look at it the less it seems like he was holding a torch for Camilla during all that wining and dining and being out-and-about - he was, after all, doing Royal Duties then, a full schedule, right? Good friends - sure - a couple whose house he could relax at - but anything else just doesn't make sense given all the options he was playing with. Love of the kind that makes for marriage (with Camilla) didn't become evident until a whole lot later, in my estimation.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Majesty

I think that what happened was that he was in love with Camilla but they both believed that the class difference made it impossible so she went for APB, with whom she knew she could be happy while Charles spent the 70s looking for 'the one' within the right class.

As Camilla's marriage was a bit more open she was able to be friends with Charles.

Charles was 'settling' for second best when he did marry as his true love was elsewhere both believing that she wasn't high enough born to be his wife.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Charles was 'settling' for second best when he did marry as his true love was elsewhere both believing that she wasn't high enough born to be his wife.
During the 70s, I really don't think Charles really had any idea of what he was looking for. We have to remember too that dating for a royal prince at that time was quite different than perhaps how couples dated in my circle of friends at that time. First, being in the active military and then taking on royal duties, his schedule was pretty much planned out for him and he couldn't just pop on over to see his girlfriend. Andrew and Camilla Parker-Bowles were part of his intimate circle of friends and most likely attended the same things and house parties and hunt events and this kept Charles and Camilla as close friends.

I've read it several places that Charles really trusted and valued Camilla as a confidant and I've always wondered if perhaps he started to turn to Camilla more and more about his affairs of the heart after the assassination of Louis Mountbatten in '79. Perhaps Charles really did think that Amanda Knatchbull was the perfect match for him and I'd not be surprised that if the assassination plot had never been, they might have married. Amanda though did refuse his proposal and without his Uncle Dickie, once again Charles was feeling lost. If he had turned to Camilla at this time as an advisor, it would make sense of the reports of how Camilla also tried to befriend the young Diana.

Was Camilla his true love from the start? We'll never really know but personally I think their love is something that has grown and changed over decades rooted in deep friendship and compatibility.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships