The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

Have I misunderstood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Charles and Camilla were certainly lovers in the 1970s.

That has never really been questioned.

To discuss that issue further is beyond the remit of this thread.
Confused - is not the thread about Charles' and Camillia's relationship prior to the advent of Diana? Wouldn't that be the 1970's? Or have I misunderstood it and its really after Charles hooks up with Diana?

Old 12-23-2010, 06:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Confused - is not the thread about Charles' and Camillia's relationship prior to the advent of Diana? Wouldn't that be the 1970's? Or have I misunderstood it and its really after Charles hooks up with Diana?

Sorry - I meant to discuss further involvement after the advent of Diana - that issue is contentious to its beginning.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

Okay, good - because I am seeing from another thread that that is a point of contention. Would love to get all that clarified.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
They were on a number of dates before that.

I was in London in December 1980 and she was in the press then and being mentioned as a prospective bride - I still have the papers from then as souvenirs of my trip (I bought a paper every day). They were predicting a February engagement.
Yes the papers were being leaked stories about Diana from the Palace via Robert Fellowes (the Queen's then assistant private secretary in charge of press relations). Diana's behaviour at Balmoral hiding unsuccessfully behind a tree took place behind Charles's back quite literally! And there is no evidence that Charles actually had anything to do with Diana until after December. What we do have documentary evidence for is that in early December the Queen wrote a letter to a female friend despairing of the fact that Charles had still not made any move towards proposing to Diana. We know this because the letter was offered for sale on ?E-bay sometime in the late 1990s or early 2000 according to an article in the Daily Mirror.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Is this private information? I haven't heard these things, and I've read a fair bit over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
Prince Charles's guests were Camilla & Andrew Parker-Bowles (who were considering getting divorced) and Nicolas Soames (with whose sister Andrew was then having an affair).
Old 12-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Is this private information? I haven't heard these things, and I've read a fair bit over the years.

I too have read a fair bit over the years and have never heard any suggestion that Andrew and Camilla considered getting a divorce before the Morton book and Dimbleby interviews put their relationship in the public eye. They had a marriage that worked for them at the time, and I suspect that with no Morton book or tit-fotr-tat interviews, they would still be together.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Heir Apparent

That was my impression, that it was the Dimbleby interview that "outed" Camilla and precipitated the Parker-Bowles divorce.

Quote:
IThey had a marriage that worked for them at the time, and I suspect that with no Morton book or tit-fotr-tat interviews, they would still be together.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
Yes the papers were being leaked stories about Diana from the Palace via Robert Fellowes (the Queen's then assistant private secretary in charge of press relations). Diana's behaviour at Balmoral hiding unsuccessfully behind a tree took place behind Charles's back quite literally! And there is no evidence that Charles actually had anything to do with Diana until after December. What we do have documentary evidence for is that in early December the Queen wrote a letter to a female friend despairing of the fact that Charles had still not made any move towards proposing to Diana. We know this because the letter was offered for sale on ?E-bay sometime in the late 1990s or early 2000 according to an article in the Daily Mirror.
My understanding has been that the Balmoral visit was their third 'outing'. First was at ' a friend's barbecue in July', then Cowes, then Balmoral - with a 'courtship' in the fall - which would have amounted to a handful of 'dates' - some of which were spent visiting friends in his circle, like Camilla and her husband - after which Charles went off on a trip in the winter telling Diana that he would be asking her a question when she returned in January, which wound up being the beginning of February. The 'thinness' of this 'courtship' is really scary - for anyone to make such a serious decision based on such skimpy acquaintance - urg! Brave - or....

Perhaps Charles trusted 'the system'. Diana was after all from a family he knew, dated the sister, 'knew' Diana since 1977 when she was 16. She was part of the 'in crowd' though not among his circle of friends. Doesn't it make sense that Diana would have been acquainted with the 'marital arrangements' of what were her 'set' as much as Charles'? It would have been going on all around her - how could she have not known that married though one might be, dalliances were the norm? When I look at what Diana says about her coming into the Royal Family its like she is saying she was from another planet - when in fact she was particularly within their sphere. I can never get Diana's insistence that she was 'alone' to line up with what must have been quite another reality, don't you think? It just makes sense that people would have been keenly intent on making sure she was okay - especially Charles. She would have been communicated with daily - yet she conveys this impression that she was adrift somehow. I have always felt that Diana, when describing those days of the engagement, is leaving out a whole chunk - because there must have been a whirlwind of meetings about the wedding (with Charles), about dresses and flowers and guests and details too numerous to mention. It has always puzzled me why people really do believe Diana when she says she was just 'left hanging' - that's the way she makes it sound. Was Camilla, as part of Charles' circle, helping Diana then? It would make sense - and was Camilla the only one of Charles' friends to be helping Diana? If Camilla was a significant help to Charles acclimating Diana to her new life - Diana could not admit that she was in fact being helped because it would have been Camilla she would have had to mention. Was there any other female friend of Charles who was helping Diana then?

I really wonder what Charles could have been thinking to be persuaded that Diana was a good bet even without really knowing her? What was there about her - or her situation and his - that led him to believe she was okay? I think it was Diana's eagerness and emotional surety at that time that swayed him, to be honest, up to the engagement. I can't imagine that Charles chose Diana with the intention of not being a good husband - you can see his care of her in those early pictures. I am one who believes Charles - what he says has the ring of authenticity - that he wandered only after the marriage was 'irretrievably broken'. He's saying yes he did, but under these conditions - it rings true. Until then who knows? Who knows when Diana pieced together what she thought was the story.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that Diana was likely keen to show Charles only the positive aspects of her personality during their courtship. Diana had charming qualities, as anyone who watched those videos of her being chased around London could see. She was patient, she was kind, she loved children, she laughed easily, she had fine manners. Her family had served the monarchy for years, and Diana spent many of her growing up years on the Sandringham estate. As far as we know, the Romseys were the only couple who told him that they didn't think that Diana was right for him. Robert Lacey, I believe, was of the opinion that Charles really fell for Diana in Australia, when he realized that he "had a winner" because of how interested in her the Australians were. Perhaps it was a case of "absence making the heart grow fonder." It was in India that he decided to marry her, apparently.

Quote:
I really wonder what Charles could have been thinking to be persuaded that Diana was a good bet even without really knowing her? What was there about her - or her situation and his - that led him to believe she was okay? I think it was Diana's eagerness and emotional surety at that time that swayed him, to be honest, up to the engagement. I can't imagine that Charles chose Diana with the intention of not being a good husband - you can see his care of her in those early pictures. I am one who believes Charles - what he says has the ring of authenticity - that he wandered only after the marriage was 'irretrievably broken'. He's saying yes he did, but under these conditions - it rings true. Until then who knows? Who knows when Diana pieced together what she thought was the story.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
When I look at what Diana says about her coming into the Royal Family its like she is saying she was from another planet - when in fact she was particularly within their sphere.
Shortly after the engagement or wedding she was asked 'what is it like having afternoon tea with the Queen and she replied - nothing unusual I have been doing it all my life' so she did know the system and the expectations about the royal family. She had played with Andrew and Edward as children.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Shortly after the engagement or wedding she was asked 'what is it like having afternoon tea with the Queen' and she replied - 'nothing unusual I have been doing it all my life' so she did know the system and the expectations about the royal family. She had played with Andrew and Edward as children.
So it has been - a bit of a merry dance - hard to see the image through the flickering sunlight.....
Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Nobility

Just because Diana played with Edward or had tea with the Queen does. Not mean that she really knew what she was in for. She was not emotionally mature. Also she and Charles did not know each other.
They both tried to be good parents.

That said what does this have to do with CC love story early or late. I don't think we need to run down Diana to justify CC. They just love each other
Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Again, this thread is NOT about Diana.

In regards to the early days of Charles and Camilla, this thread will be restricted to the time period of 1970 until 1973, when Camilla marries Andrew Parker Bowles.

Future off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Serene Highness

With the recent excitement over the royal wedding, many have comparisons have been made of Catherine to the late Diana. As I think more about it, William and Catherine, as a couple, share much more in common with Charles and Camilla. Both Catherine and Camilla are slightly older than their princes and started dating them in their early 20s. Both Charles and William would delay proposing to pursue military careers leading to very different consequences.

It seems that William and Catherine were allowed to have the kind of courtship - nearly 9 years of dating and even living together at times - that probably would have suited Charles and Camilla but were denied because royal expectations at the time. Of course, Camilla also had her eyes on Andrew Parker Bowles who, at nearly a decade older than Charles, was probably quite a dashing army officer to have attracted both Camilla AND Princess Anne in the early 70s. There were reports that during William and Catherine's 2007 breakup, Charles was worried that his son would make the same mistake he had with Camilla: taking the advice to sow his wild oats while young and ending up losing his first love, who turned out to be the love of his life. Of course had Charles not married Diana, William wouldn't have been born, but reflecting on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's recent marriage, one wonders what a different scenario everything would have been had Charles had been allowed to date on his own terms like William has.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
There were reports that during William and Catherine's 2007 breakup, Charles was worried that his son would make the same mistake he had with Camilla: taking the advice to sow his wild oats while young and ending up losing his first love, who turned out to be the love of his life.
But was Camilla the love of his life?
Charles had other romances, even with Camilla in the picture: Kanga Tryon, Janet Jenkins,et al.

I think Camilla has always been very important to him, but she was never his exclusive lover.
And now? Well, Charles is in his sixties, and probably companionship is more important than variety. He and Camilla seem comfortable together, and content; I think he is happier than he has ever been.

But calling Camilla the love of his life seems a bit over-the-top.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But was Camilla the love of his life?
Charles had other romances, even with Camilla in the picture: Kanga Tryon, Janet Jenkins,et al.

I think Camilla has always been very important to him, but she was never his exclusive lover.
And now? Well, Charles is in his sixties, and probably companionship is more important than variety. He and Camilla seem comfortable together, and content; I think he is happier than he has ever been.

But calling Camilla the love of his life seems a bit over-the-top.
Yes, Charles definitely had other girlfriends, before, during and after he dated Camilla, but Camilla was the one he always went back to and they resumed their affair in the late 70s. Anna Wallace dumped him when he ignored her at a ball and danced the entire night with Mrs Parker Bowles. It has also been alleged that Charles that asked Camilla to leave Andrew and marry him. So, yes, Charles did have other loves, but Camilla was the one he never stopped loving.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I quite agreed. I don't think that Camilla was the "Love of his Life". I think she was one of his best friends and whilst he was in an unhappy marriage she and Andrew had a marriage that worked for them.

Basically separate lives but when Charles marriage broke down I guess he, like thousands of others, turned to his friends for comfort and companionship. Camilla was one of those in the small circle of close friends that Charles has maintained over the years.

Somewhere along the line I think that friendship turned inevitably to love.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am pretty sure C*C's relationship turned to love long before Charles marriage broke down. Camilla has been floating around him even when he was dating other women and while she was married. So it wasn't just something that reached its climax in the 80s.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Courtier

C & C love

(Version 1)
Keep in mind that Camilla was born in 1947. She was raised to be a housewife and mother. Andrew cheated on Camilla before during and after* their marriage. I believe Camilla lost her virginity to Andrew and being old fashion, she chose to marry the man she lost her virginity to even though he was unfaithful to her. Don't know if she gave in before or after the marriage. Or if Andrew proposed to her because she was the only one who wouldn't sleep with him without a ring. (I'm going for the wedding night virgin who didn't cheat on Andrew until 1989 even though he was a dog and she may have flirted with others she was still true to Andrew for over 20 years.)
  1. In 1966 Camilla met and fell in love with Andrew. Andrew cheated on her with several women and she looked the other way. That is until Andrew cheated on her with Princess Anne in 1970.
  2. Summer of 1971 Camilla decided to play payback and teach him and Anne a lesson; she goes after Charles.
  3. Both Charles and Camilla knew it was suppose to be a fling. She to payback Andrew. Charles to casually date. Charles was aware his parents and his great uncle Mountbatten had already chosen his wife (Amanda) for him and being the dutiful and respectful child he went along with the plan. (In addition to Camilla he was dating 3 other women.)
  4. Charles and Camilla instantly connected and became very good friends, while dating for a little over a year they fell in love.
  5. Charles life had already been planned for him. In the fall of 1972 he leaves for Naval officers training. Although, he writes to her and she replies to his letters. He does not tell her to wait for him, nor are his letter romantic. He leaves her hanging.
  6. February 1973, just before he take command of his 1st ship he hears Camilla got engaged. He is stunned.
  7. July 4, 1973 Camilla and Andrew marry. (Anne & Queen Mum have front row seats. Ouch!)
  8. November 14, 1973 Anne marries Mark Phillips. (Charles 25th Birthday)
  9. In early 1974 Charles resumes writing to Camilla. Also starts to drop by the Parker Bowles house (some say invited some say he would just drop in no matter what the PB's were doing.)
  10. December 18, 1974 Camilla gives birth to 1st child, Tom
  11. January 1, 1978 Camilla gives birth to 2nd child, Laura.
  12. Camilla is a single mother throughout their marriage as Andrew is stationed overseas or is in London Monday-Friday. She is a full-time mother with no nannies, servants or staff.
  13. August 1979 Mountbatten killed.
  14. After Mountbatten's death Charles in despair and in desperation (not love) proposes to Camilla. Camilla turns him down but tells him, she will always be there for him.
  15. Charles proposes to Amanda even though he is dating Anna Wallace.
  16. Amanda turns him down. (He proposed too soon after her grandfather, grandmother and brother were killed by a terrorist attack that also left her father, mother and another brother severely injured.
  17. Anna Wallace breaks up with him because he proposed to Amanda while dating her.
  18. He see Diana again. (Charles has know Diana her whole life.) She resembles Anna. Still in love with Anna he tells friends he met the woman he is going to marry.
  19. Charles and Diana date a few time before getting engaged. They do not know each other. Both have unrealistic ideas of what the other person should be. Trouble begans very soon after the engagement is announced and both want to end it but cannot as it has already been announced. Diana thought the engagement/marriage to Charles would be the happy ever after with excitement, fun, parties, jewelry, etc instead the day after the engagement she is moved from her apartment and her friends to Clarence House and then to BP where she is giving books and instructions on how to be a Princess and told what to do and what not to do. She feels like a prisoner. In solitary confinement. It was suggested since she was marrying the POW she should learn Welsh. Diana not much for school refused. She started having temper tantrums. RF was taken back to have a Spencer with all her family connections defy them. She thought they were trying to change her and were criticizing her. They thought she was rude. Diana although nearly 20 was very immature for her age. Charles was 32 was very old for his age.
  20. July 29, 1981 Charles marries Diana. The public fairy tale.. the private hell.
  21. June 21, 1982 William born.
  22. September 15, 1984 Harry born
  23. 1986 both Charles and Diana agree marriage is over.
  24. 1986 Camilla and Andrew move to a new house. Camilla's grandmother dies August 1986.
  25. 1986 Patti, Charles' friend, encourages Camilla to get in touch with Charles to cheer him up. Camilla starts writing to Charles. (They had been out of touch, per Diana's request.
  26. July 17, 1987 Camilla turns 40.
  27. Camilla re-examines her life. The trigger could be one or more events. It may have lasted several years. Her grandmother's death, the new home, her 40th birthday, Laura going off to boarding school and her becoming an empty nester. Andrew was still away M-F and now the kids are also away so she was no longer needed as a wife or mother for most the time. Her mother may also have become sick around this time. Andrew may have found another woman who he wanted as more than just a lover.
  28. Sometime between 1987 to 1989, after examining her life she sheds her old fashion values and decides she has had enough of Andrew's cheating. Her marriage was over. Her contact with Charles goes from letter writing to phone calls to dates to intimate encounters...(Charles may have cheated on Diana in 1986 but I do not think it was with Camilla.)
  29. James Hewitt who was with Diana from 1986 to 1989 (some say they continued as friends into the 1990's) stated that after several conversations with Diana he felt Charles fancied Camilla and WANTED to sleep with her.
  30. In 1989 Diana conversation with Gibley is recorded, in it they mention Charlotte Soame/Hambro/Peel. The transcriber of the tape states it is well known (they all move in a small circle) that APB was cheating on Camilla with Charlotte and she wanted him to divorce Camilla and marry her but APB refused and so she married Peel in 1989.
  31. July 1991 Diana turns 30, same month she agrees to to cooperate with Andrew Morton on a book to get her version of story.
  32. 1992 Camilla and Andrew separate, Charles and Diana separate. Rosemary Pitman and John her husband divorce in 1991 they were married in 1961. He remarries in 1992 and starts 2nd family. APB and John are old friends. He is the godfather to their son Tom born 1969. (Charles is the godfather for APB and Camilla's son Tom.) note the pattern. Rosemary long time “companion” of APB (1993 earliest photo found as a couple, still looking for earlier one )
  33. 1995 Camilla and Andrew divorce. Charles and Diana announce divorce.
  34. 1996 February 7th Andrew and Rosemary marry.
  35. 1996 Charles and Diana divorce.
  36. 1996 Everyone is free. Andrew with 1st love/true. Charles with his (Camilla). Diana looking for love,
  37. 2004 after Christmas but before New Year's Eve Charles proposes to Camilla. Camilla accepts.
  38. April 9, 2005 Finally married after 34 years.
  39. August 2011 Charles and Camilla celebrate 40th anniversary of their 1st date.
Just because Camilla kept quiet does not mean she is guilty.
Just because she had a reputation as lively does not mean she was not virgin.

Gay in 1966 meant something completely different than its common meaning today.

*After=The marriage is over and both are cheating but they are still married to each other. When only 1 is cheating the marriage is not over.

It is the wording that is used by the media the influences ones opinion.

Camilla is referred to as a mistress while Rosemary is referred to as the long time companion.

Charles cheated but Diana sought comfort in the arms of other men.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Queen Camilla...thank you for your input.

Although for the topic of this thread, the subject ends at point #7.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships