The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone know where this remark was first reported?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Serene Highness

If the line is true I totally agree and if Camilla Parker was and is related to Alice Keppel so what?I think she maybe the only one that cares. Did she have to use that power by association "line" to introduce herself if allegedly true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually if it did occur in that sense, I see the quip being said by a person that would make a person feel at ease at first meeting. No curtsy and "your highness" or giggles but a straight faced quip. I am willing to bet that this was an icebreaker that would have brought giggles to both of their faces at the time.
Just how it would make one feel at ease is beyond me.... I think it is a bit much and would have had the opposite effect. I for one would have started to back away from Mila slowly..... if the line is true.....jmo

Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Just how it would make one feel at ease is beyond me.... I think it is a bit much and would have had the opposite effect. I for one would have started to back away from Mila slowly..... if the line is true.....jmo
Its just my opinion but over the decades I've read and heard that as a younger man Charles was actually quite shy. Seeing as they met at a polo field, I would imagine that this is when they were kind of formally introduced but I would bet a dollar to donuts that they actually were aware of each other long before this took place. I really don't know the timelines but I've read that Princess Anne was friends/dating Andrew Parker Bowles around this time so my conclusion is that when Camilla said that to Charles she wasn't totally unknown to him but rather when the press/media first noticed them together.

Regardless... its been known forever that Camilla is an "earthy" type. As someone else has mentioned on these forums, she enjoys a good walk with the dogs, a good meal and a stiff drink. Actually with this quip she was supposedly had made, she kind of reminds me in a way of the Duke of Edinburgh...
Old 05-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think thats the reason her and the DoE get along quite nicely. Plus, Camilla's one-liner was very British humour and something that I think would have made Charles chuckle and loosen up in my mind. I know I would be enamoured if someone was ballsy enough to pull off a line like that.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Administrator

A reminder that name-calling posts have been and will continue to be removed.

Warren
Brtitish Forums moderator
Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Courtier

Is it true, Prince Charles wanted to marry Camilla (before her first marriage) but the palace said no?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
Is it true, Prince Charles wanted to marry Camilla (before her first marriage) but the palace said no?

The evidence suggests that he would have married her in the 1970s but was advised to look around more and that she was more 'mistress material' than wife material (allegedly said by Lord Mountbatten who was still hoping that one of his granddaughters would marry Charles at that stage). As Charles never formally asked Camilla at that time he wouldn't have asked the Queen for permission either so there would have been no 'no' about it.

Even if the Queen had said 'no' in say 1972 when he was 24 he would only have had to wait another year and then get parliament's approval as once over 25 there is a second course of action if the monarch says no.

Camilla, however, was more interested in Andrew Parker-Bowles.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogo View Post
I don't think it was the palace that said no, it was Camilla.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't think it was the palace that said no, it was Camilla.
I thought Charles dithered, and never asked Camilla.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I thought Charles dithered, and never asked Camilla.
I think it was a combination of dithering and also asking some people and being advised against it. He therefore didn't follow his heart - unfortunately.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator

I think he dithered went away (for what six months to a year) and while he was gone she got married. He also didn't ask because of what iluv mentioned....it was suggested that because she wasn't a virgin she was unsuitable.

And honestly, if she is marrying someone else why he dithers....one would assume that they didn't think they had a chance or at least had that...where is our relationship headed speech? Plus..she is dating other people? I don't think you do that if you think someone is going to ask you to marry him. Of course Andrew Parker Bowles was also dating other people as well.

What is the saying...the rich are different from you and me?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Nobility

From what I understand, Camilla had her heart set on Andrew Parker-Bowles. I don't know if she would have said yes if Charles asked at that point.

Ironically, her biggest competition for Andrew was none other than Princess Anne! Camilla appeared to have won that battle but, wow, look how it all turned out.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think, personally, that when Charles went of to the Navy, that's when Camilla's heart changed to Andrew, if he had asked her to marry him and wait, I think she would have.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Nobility

If Camilla had her heart set on Charles back then, I think she wouldn't have let his forced absence with the Navy to come between them. Instead, she focused her energies on landing Andrew.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

The age difference between Charles and Camilla means nothing now, but I think it was of some significance when they were in their early 20s. She was older and ready to settle down, and he was dithering and heading off to sea and if he told her that he wouldn't be ready to marry till he was in his late 20s, I can understand her pursuing her relationship with Andrew. He was there and he was interested and ready to marry.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness

Also, Andrew is almost a decade older than Charles and Camilla. Prince or not, to a young, 20-something fun-time girl like Camilla, the older, worldly army major Andrew would have been more exciting than the shy Charles, who was just starting out his Navy career. Camilla never struck anyone as one who would marry for title (Diana was probably the opposite). I think if anything, the princely title discouraged her.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Majesty

I do agree. Even today it is clear that Camilla loves Charles but would still prefer to be in the background and that the title has no real allure to her whereas Diana it was the title that attracted her more than the man in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Commoner

Title Schmytle

Diana already HAD a title, Lady Diana Spencer. Camilla is the commoner who had no title.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajat View Post
Diana already HAD a title, Lady Diana Spencer. Camilla is the commoner who had no title.
As Diana did already have a title she would have been expected by her family to use it and her charm to further the family status as has happened in the aristocracy for centuries.

IMO most commoners really don't care whether they have a title or not - it is only a small number who are trying to move into a higher level of society - Camilla doesn't come across to me as a social climber.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajat View Post

Lady xxx was nothing special in her circle - that is who her family mixed with. But to be Princess of Wales was to top all that circle and take her to the top of the tree, above Duchesses, Countesses, Marchionesses, and Baronesses. Lady is the bottom of that tree and the Spencer family wanted higher for their girls and Diana was their pawn to get there and she had stars in her eyes at being a 'Princess'.

Within aristocratic circles marrying a person with a higher title is important but within the commoner class it doesn't matter as we are all the same.

The thing to remember was that Diana couldn't pass a title on to her children but by marrying Charles she could and that is very important to many aristrocrats - having children with a Lord/Lady or higher title.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales, relationships