The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?
Morton book (1990) 25 9.80%
War of the Waleses (starting 1990) 20 7.84%
Squidgygate (1992) 12 4.71%
Hewitt affair (1993) 17 6.67%
Charles' interview (1994) 5 1.96%
Panorama interview (1995) 43 16.86%
Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994) 14 5.49%
Dodi al-Fayed (1997) 23 9.02%
Other (please explain) 96 37.65%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #981  
Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM
nascarlucy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida Area, United States
Posts: 1,354
I don't know why Mermaid1962 but I thought it was early in the morning. It seemed like it was but it would make sense if you were doing it secretly not to have staff around who might tattle on you.
__________________

__________________
  #982  
Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Duchess of Darwin's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 215
Panorama could definately be seen as a take that. Everything was known. Diana just needed to induce squirming from those she had fallen out with. She very easily saw herself as being done wrong, and Panorama was her way of getting even. It said "look at what an awful person you are" to those mentioned, and it made her feel that the public would all take her side.
__________________

__________________
  #983  
Old 05-04-2011, 12:40 AM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,644
I have read the most current posts on Diana, Princess Of Wales.

I admire the public Diana and the private I feel sorry for. My opinion has matured since the princess' death. I love her with warts and all because her God given role on earth was raising her sons to be good role models for Great Britain. I truly believe in her short life she fulfilled that task. I am really amazed that alot of post emphasis the worst characteristics in Diana.

Because of her death we will never know if Princess Diana would have found a lasting love and start another family. She wanted a daughter. I think Diana (if she liked Catherine) would help her with her new role because she finally got a daughter. If Diana did not have a husband, Prince William would have to be there for her and it might be hard on Catherine. But again, Catherine seems so family orientated.
__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
  #984  
Old 05-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,272
I believe as well that she fulfilled her purpose here on earth. While she was with us, her public work was absolutely superb. She brought attention to many causes and encouraged people to become more involved in helping others. And, along with many other posters on this board, I think that her greatest legacy is her children.


Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I love her with warts and all because her God given role on earth was raising her sons to be good role models for Great Britain. I truly believe in her short life she fufilled that task.
__________________
  #985  
Old 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherine2001 View Post
I agree, Vita. I loved Diana, but like the rest of us, she was not perfect. She was an excellent mother in many ways, but due to the wounds of her own childhood, she made some mistakes--for instance, bringing William into the middle of her marital problems with Prince Charles. If you need to talk to someone about them, you find another adult, not one of your children, especially a young child as he was at the time.

I also agree about airing the dirty laundry in the marriage, and both she and Prince Charles made this mistake. Both of them revealed things about their marriage that I imagine were very hurtful and damaging to Prince William and Prince Harry. I think both of them wanted to get back at each other so badly that they didn't stop to think of what damage these revelations might do to the boys.

Diana was a wonderful woman in many ways, as Prince Charles is a wonderful man in many ways. However, there are good things and bad things about all of us. We should be careful about putting people up on pedestals, because you can miss knowing the person as the really interesting person that they really are.

I think both Prince William and Prince Harry have traits from both parents, and both parents should be proud of the boys that they raised. I think they did a wonderful job.
Oh, I definitely agree on this. However, I think the difference between Charles speaking on things and Diana was that Charles never villified Diana in those inteviews. It would not have been the way he was raised. No matter what, Charles, unlike Diana, was born into this duty and his learned well from his mother about the things you say and the things that are best kept close to the vest. Even though he confessed to the cheating, looking back, I admire the fact that he didn't drag her name through the mud with all his flaws. This why I believe that while he was not perfect and he initially-along with Diana-did not think about how his actions would hurt the children, he did try to rectify it by not badmouthing their mom who they simply adored. In a lot of ways he let Diana make him the bad guy in order to keep the peace and also because that it how royalty does it, I believe.

You are dead on when you say the they have the good traits from both of their parents I truly believe that Diana is proud of Charles and her children.
__________________
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
  #986  
Old 05-05-2011, 12:52 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
Oh, I definitely agree on this. However, I think the difference between Charles speaking on things and Diana was that Charles never villified Diana in those inteviews. It would not have been the way he was raised. No matter what, Charles, unlike Diana, was born into this duty and his learned well from his mother about the things you say and the things that are best kept close to the vest. Even though he confessed to the cheating, looking back, I admire the fact that he didn't drag her name through the mud with all his flaws. This why I believe that while he was not perfect and he initially-along with Diana-did not think about how his actions would hurt the children, he did try to rectify it by not badmouthing their mom who they simply adored. In a lot of ways he let Diana make him the bad guy in order to keep the peace and also because that it how royalty does it, I believe.

You are dead on when you say the they have the good traits from both of their parents I truly believe that Diana is proud of Charles and her children.
Your very right Charles never pubically spoke negatively about Diana. What I never understood about that war was why didn't their friends try to intervene and persuade them to stop for the sake of the kids. It was bad on both sides with Diana's camp trying to make Charles look like the villain and Charles' friends tried to make her look mentally unstable; it was just one big PR mess. I'm so happy that at the time of her death they both left the past in the past and became friends. Its very unfortunate that the Princess was killed just when the family was together again.

I think she is very much proud of Charles and her boys.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #987  
Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Your very right Charles never pubically spoke negatively about Diana. What I never understood about that war was why didn't their friends try to intervene and persuade them to stop for the sake of the kids. It was bad on both sides with Diana's camp trying to make Charles look like the villain and Charles' friends tried to make her look mentally unstable; it was just one big PR mess. I'm so happy that at the time of her death they both left the past in the past and became friends. Its very unfortunate that the Princess was killed just when the family was together again.

I think she is very much proud of Charles and her boys.
I think that this was just one of those things where the old generation does not understand how the new generation worked. Back then as children, even if you were privy to all the juciy stuff that was going on with the adults, you could carry no real opinion, and a lot of it was just heresay. But we live in a different time now. At this point, the internat was sweeping at least the Western world by storm, children of Wills generation (and I am iincluded in his) had way more access to information-be it flaose or accurate-than children of the past. And it would be all with just the click of a button. the older generation didn't think about how thiis type of infomation and back room dealings would get into the Harry and Willi's hands before anyone could blink. And their school chums would be able to access the most private details as well through the internet, as well as the paper.

So you see, and this how I have always felt about children and their relationship with adults in Western society, are given the false notion that they are important and loved just because they are children and belong to their parents. But that is not really true. Children are merely pawns in adult's games be they for positive or negative play. My mother used to confide in me all the time much in the way Diana would do with William. There are positives and negatives to that because it does put the child in a very sticky situation, but once again it's for benefit of the parnt. Perhaps, this is also at the crux of what changed my opinion about Diana as well from saint to tainted (albeit still revered by me in a very elevated way): If Charles was not going to be the one to think about the children, she should have at least put it more effort to take care of her actions!

The Bashir interview and the Squidgygate incident really disappointed me because these were both opportunes times for Diana to make things right in the midst of her pain. Especially with the interview. She could have been honest and come off as hurt without being manipulative or tearing down Charles. At least for the sake of the kids.
__________________
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
  #988  
Old 05-05-2011, 03:15 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
I think that this was just one of those things where the old generation does not understand how the new generation worked. Back then as children, even if you were privy to all the juciy stuff that was going on with the adults, you could carry no real opinion, and a lot of it was just heresay. But we live in a different time now. At this point, the internat was sweeping at least the Western world by storm, children of Wills generation (and I am iincluded in his) had way more access to information-be it flaose or accurate-than children of the past. And it would be all with just the click of a button. the older generation didn't think about how thiis type of infomation and back room dealings would get into the Harry and Willi's hands before anyone could blink. And their school chums would be able to access the most private details as well through the internet, as well as the paper.

So you see, and this how I have always felt about children and their relationship with adults in Western society, are given the false notion that they are important and loved just because they are children and belong to their parents. But that is not really true. Children are merely pawns in adult's games be they for positive or negative play. My mother used to confide in me all the time much in the way Diana would do with William. There are positives and negatives to that because it does put the child in a very sticky situation, but once again it's for benefit of the parnt. Perhaps, this is also at the crux of what changed my opinion about Diana as well from saint to tainted (albeit still revered by me in a very elevated way): If Charles was not going to be the one to think about the children, she should have at least put it more effort to take care of her actions!

The Bashir interview and the Squidgygate incident really disappointed me because these were both opportunes times for Diana to make things right in the midst of her pain. Especially with the interview. She could have been honest and come off as hurt without being manipulative or tearing down Charles. At least for the sake of the kids.
Well Squidygate was a private conversation Diana had around 1989 that was taped unbeknownst to her. She was upset and venting to a friend.
I don't think its comparable to the Bashir interview. Just as one really can't compare camilliagate with Charles's Dimbleby interview.
The fact is what's done is done Charles and Diana moved on from it and regretted how it affected their children. And most of all William and Harry have moved from those times.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #989  
Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 PM
HRHduchesskate's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 44
I was not familiar with Diana when she was alive as I was too young, I recently watched her interview with Martin Bashir, As she explained going to William's school to explain the marital break up she told him 'When you find someone you love to hold on to it' It seemed very poignant and a reminder of how proud she would have been to be there. My personal opinion of Diana is that she was a wonderful mother and princess but she and Charles were desperately unsuited.
  #990  
Old 05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Dymphna's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Gettysburg, PA, United States
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I was thinking the same thing while watching the wedding and found myself unsettled by the thought. Diana's death was unbearably sad for her sons, but they seem to have wonderful, loving memories of her to comfort them. Unless Diana had found great personal fulfillment in the years post-1997, I think that she would have been a very difficult mother-in-law. As it is, Kate can study the good things about Diana's time as Princess of Wales without having to deal with the reality of what she was like in her private life.

I also thought the same thing. The fact that the media would probably not have stopped hounding Diana would have had a great affect on Catherine, probably. I couldn't help but wonder if William would have proposed had Diana still been alive.
__________________
  #991  
Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Duchess of Darwin's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 215
I'm in the camp, who believes that while it wasn't noble of Charles to cheat, he was good for not villifying Diana. When he admitted to his affair with Camilla, he was honest about the fact that the marraige had ended in all but name because he and Diana had very little in common. I don't even think he raised the issue of her mental health. Similar could be said for Camilla. She didn't have to sleep with a legally married man, and she didn't have Royal regulations pressuring her to stay married to Andrew, but she was quiet, never claiming to be in the right. I wish they hadn't had the affair, not because I think it was responsible for the breakdown of the marraige, but because it has overshadowed the fact that neither of them said a word against Diana, while she painted them as monsters

It doesn't keep me awake, or anything, it's in the past, but it's just one of the many things I that find unfortunate about the soap opera.
__________________
  #992  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Because of her death we will never know if Princess Diana would have found a lasting love and start another family. She wanted a daughter.

I seriously doubt it.

I think one of the saddest things about her was that no one she loved really returned that love (other than her sons, of course).

But the men in her life all had a persoanl agenda, and she was used and exploited for various reasons: heirs, money, fame, status, bragging rights.

I honestly do not think Diana ever knew what it was to be loved unselfishly. Otoh, I doubt if anyone could have given her the total devotion she craved.

Still, it would have been nice if someone, anyone, had tried.
__________________
  #993  
Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 AM
Kellydofc's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tucson, United States
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
It takes two to make a marriage work and it takes two to make a marriage fail. Both Charles and Diana share equal blame for the failure of their marriage. The sad truth is they both gave up.
Don't get me wrong, obviously Charles' behaviour helped to lead to the breakdown of the marriage. But at one time I thought he was completely responsible for the marriage's collapse and now I think that Diana's behaviour also contributed to the end of their relationship.
__________________
  #994  
Old 05-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Portland, United States
Posts: 2
Admired at first then began to doubt

When Diana Spencer first became a public figure I really liked her. She seemed to be a nice, bright sunny addition to the royal family and Prince Charles seemed genuinely very fond of her. If you look at their engagement video he has her hand and is stroking it with his fingers as she was very nervous.He also gave some speeches where he spoke so well of his marriage to her.
However, once she deliberately started grabbing the attention from him I began to doubt her sincerity. I remember a comment she had made that she felt she was destined for something very important and wondered if she had some type of delusions of grandeur. Yes, she did some very good charity work, but no more so than say the Princess Royal. She donated her dresses to charity but you don't see her selling her jewels or donated large sums of her own money to charity. She liked the good life, and I don't blame her. I would too. So she brought attention to important causes but she didn't dedicate her life to them like a Mother Teresa. She liked the jetsetting life and unfortunately it was that life that ended up killing her. A very sad day for her family. So to Diana I say rest in peace and let's move on. William now has a lovely wife and we should focus on them.
__________________
  #995  
Old 05-08-2011, 11:00 AM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by berengarianavarre View Post
When Diana Spencer first became a public figure I really liked her. She seemed to be a nice, bright sunny addition to the royal family and Prince Charles seemed genuinely very fond of her. If you look at their engagement video he has her hand and is stroking it with his fingers as she was very nervous.He also gave some speeches where he spoke so well of his marriage to her.
However, once she deliberately started grabbing the attention from him I began to doubt her sincerity. I remember a comment she had made that she felt she was destined for something very important and wondered if she had some type of delusions of grandeur. Yes, she did some very good charity work, but no more so than say the Princess Royal. She donated her dresses to charity but you don't see her selling her jewels or donated large sums of her own money to charity. She liked the good life, and I don't blame her. I would too. So she brought attention to important causes but she didn't dedicate her life to them like a Mother Teresa. She liked the jetsetting life and unfortunately it was that life that ended up killing her. A very sad day for her family. So to Diana I say rest in peace and let's move on. William now has a lovely wife and we should focus on them.
I think she did not upstage Prince Charles in the beginning of their married life. People were interested in her from all the media attention on her. After Diana, Princess of Wales felt rejection from Prince Charles, yes, she did take the attention away from him on purpose. How would you feel if your man shunned you? I know that Princess Diana had mental problems and could not maintain close relationships. She froze people out of her life.

But Diana with her faults did do a lot of good in her short life. She did not dedicate her life as a nun, but as a weathy, royal jetsetter she did a lot of good. The Princess Royal is a very hard working royal, but her royal engagements never have media attention like Princess Diana had.

To me Princess Diana had a tragic, short life. The last ten years of her life had a lot of pressure on her and her fraglie mental health made her do things that were not good in her personal life. Diana did her royal duties very professionally and raised to sons well. They are her legacy of compassion and love to the common man.

Humans are not perfect beings and Diana, Princess of Wales was a humanitian who made a difference in world causes and well as causes for her country. NO MY OPINION OF THE PEOPLES PRINCESS WILL NEVER CHANGE I ADMIRE HER AND MISS HER.
__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
  #996  
Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,272
Part of being a patron of an organization is giving money to it, and so I think that Diana probably gave sizable donations over the years. I saw signs of "delusions of grandeur" during the Panorama interview, and that made me feel wary of what she had said through Morton. Up 'til the time of that interview, I really gave her the benefit of the doubt about everything. By the time she died, I had become disappointed in her and rather worried about her--as much as a person can be worried about someone she doesn't know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by berengarianavarre View Post
When Diana Spencer first became a public figure I really liked her. She seemed to be a nice, bright sunny addition to the royal family and Prince Charles seemed genuinely very fond of her. If you look at their engagement video he has her hand and is stroking it with his fingers as she was very nervous.He also gave some speeches where he spoke so well of his marriage to her.
__________________
  #997  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:09 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,368
I only started caring about Diana and that family on the island after she died in 1997. At that time I fed into the view that she was the perfect saint and that Charles and his family were the mean cruel cold heartless in laws. Since then I have matured and I see Diana for the not so nice person she was. She was manipulative towards a lot of people, Charles and the media for example; and her special skill seemed to be putting on an act. I wasn't alive when Charles and Diana got married but from reading books about both of them I can't help but scream WHY DIDN'T SOMEBODY PREVENT THIS! I don't know if it is hindsight necessarily because apparently there were some people close to the couple who raised concerns. But Charles and Diana could never have worked; there is opposites attract and then there is just plain we live in two completely different plants orbiting different suns. Charles was a quiet, lonely and solitary, spoiled and arrogant man and essentially what you see is what you get; he also was very intellectual. Diana was still in her teens and hadn't yet figured out who she was as a person; but she was also spoiled and was prone to temper tantrums, sweet but with a dark side and a high school drop out. Who would even try to get these two people together and expect it to work. Both Charles and Diana fell in love with images rather than the real people and that is why their marriage was such a disaster.
I like Diana but she really is the best and worst thing to ever happen to that family.
I know longer see Charles as the devil and Camilla as his devilnista. Everyone involved had their good and bad qualities.
__________________
  #998  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 AM
Duchess of Darwin's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 215
This is exactly the opinion I hold.
__________________
  #999  
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
I think the difference between Charles speaking on things and Diana was that Charles never villified Diana in those inteviews. It would not have been the way he was raised. No matter what, Charles, unlike Diana, was born into this duty and his learned well from his mother about the things you say and the things that are best kept close to the vest. Even though he confessed to the cheating, looking back, I admire the fact that he didn't drag her name through the mud with all his flaws. This why I believe that while he was not perfect and he initially-along with Diana-did not think about how his actions would hurt the children, he did try to rectify it by not badmouthing their mom who they simply adored. In a lot of ways he let Diana make him the bad guy in order to keep the peace and also because that it how royalty does it, I believe.
Well he certainly green-lighted his friends to villify her in the press, such as Fatty Soames. Let's also not forget that Camilla, during the Mistress decades, gave regular briefings to the Editor of The Sun "to get Charles' side out". That's hardly taking the high road.
__________________
  #1000  
Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,367
This thread isn't about Camilla...its about Diana.

Additional off topic posts will be deleted.
__________________

__________________
.

Closed Thread

Tags
andrew morton, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, james hewitt, jonathan dimbleby, oliver hoare, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, squidgygate


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Change of the Act of Succession - 1979 Constitution Change GrandDuchess Royal House of Sweden 276 06-30-2014 12:52 AM
What would you change? Lena Royal Chit Chat 20 06-23-2010 06:31 PM
Change of name of our community to TRF... Andy R Forum Announcements and Admin 2 08-29-2004 04:29 PM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]