The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?
Morton book (1990) 25 9.80%
War of the Waleses (starting 1990) 20 7.84%
Squidgygate (1992) 12 4.71%
Hewitt affair (1993) 17 6.67%
Charles' interview (1994) 5 1.96%
Panorama interview (1995) 43 16.86%
Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994) 14 5.49%
Dodi al-Fayed (1997) 23 9.02%
Other (please explain) 96 37.65%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is a matter of opinion.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That's probably the best description of Diana I have ever read - and it is so true.

Agreed. I used to be a huge supporter. Now I actually feel sorry for the house of Windsor. Charles may have been a cad, but she did harm to her sons future and lives for her own benefit. I also feel she used her children to garner media attention in her favor. I now believe Charles was a good father. Diana was the bad parent.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100 View Post
Agreed. I used to be a huge supporter. Now I actually feel sorry for the house of Windsor. Charles may have been a cad, but she did harm to her sons future and lives for her own benefit. I also feel she used her children to garner media attention in her favor. I now believe Charles was a good father. Diana was the bad parent.
I don't think we can honestly say one was the good parent and the other a bad parent as I think both Diana and Charles cared and love/loved both of their boys very deeply. It was one spot in their troubled marriage where they DID pull together and support each other.. the rearing of their children.

Like millions of couples around the world, they had a marriage with problems which couldn't be resolved and mistakes were made by both parties.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree! In all my years of reading books, articles ,and watching documentaries I have yet to hear and see someone who knew her say she was a bad mother they have said the exact opposite. Including her own children!
Are there any sources out there that proves Diana either physically or mentally abused and mistreated William and Harry? Diana did use her kids to make Charles look bad to the media which was very wrong imo but it is something that many divorcing couples do including my own parents. I do not see that as sufficent enough grounds for her being a bad mother.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Administrator

I've been reading Katie Nicholl's "William and Harry" and she deals extensively with the the boys' parenting. According to the book, while there may have been occasions when Diana placed too much pressure on Prince William (eg, treating him as her "confidant") the one thing which comes through is that even when relations between Charles and Diana were at their most bitter, hostilities would cease when it came to their sons. Decisions were always shared and disagreements were few, and easily resolved. Considering the atmosphere when and after the marriage fell apart it's quite surprising to read how well the two of them worked together when it concerned the boys.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness

In my readings on Diana, Princess of Wales stated the same info on the Wales' usually good relationship concerning their children. I think the only thing Princess Diana could not live with was another woman in the picture.

Also I read that Princess Diana did treat Prince William as a confidant. This reason I believe the prince is gun shy to marry.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Admittedly we are looking at the situation with 20/20 hindsight but for me any notion that Diana put her children first was forever shattered when having suceeded in her stated object of giving the "boys" a "normal" childhood, an aim Charles also shared, having seen William enrolled at Eton, out in the "real" world for the first time, she visited him and told him about the Panorama programme and left him alone, and open to to cruel nudges, winks etc, of a Boys Public School.

She calmly walks off and leaves him there alone to face the humiliation of "the whole ghastly mess". Boys are mean and cruel and with any luck grow out of it but he was exposed and she just went ahead and destroyed his world, and trashed his father and family to the whole world. Where was the loving protective mother then? She was too busy trying to convince the world that Charles was unfit to be King, I guess because she thought that anyone who didn't want her was undeserving.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Aristocracy

Leave the woman alone. Speaking ill of the dead (in these circumstances) is below the level of gutter journalism. Strange how it is mainly women who like to stick the boot it.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Majesty

People discuss dead people all the times. We even have professionals that do it. We have Faculties at universities and schools that teach it. They are called Historians and Diana is just that now - an historical figure whose entire life will be dissected for the rest of recorded history - both her good points (few that there are) and bad points (which, in my opinion far outweight the good ones). We have to 'speak ill of the dead' a lot of the time in History in order to explain what happened and to analyse people's lives and impacts on history. Different historians will even disagree about things - just as we have seen here - different people have different views on a dead woman. We also have had discussions about Anne Boleyn and there are different opinions of her - another dead woman.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

On the whole, I think that Diana was a good mother rather than a bad one. However, the incident that MARG mentioned is one that I do find bizarre. Given that she was The Princess of Wales at the time, surely she could have asked for a room in which to speak to William privately. However, given her alleged mental state at that time, a person could say that a photo opportunity portraying a mother who cared enough about her son to tell him about the interview (perhaps in contrast to an "aloof", "uncaring" father who didn't do the same about the Dimbleby program--at least not in public knowledge) was what she wanted.

In any case, both parents behaved badly in granting interviews and authorizing books about their private lives.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereditary Thane View Post
Leave the woman alone. Speaking ill of the dead (in these circumstances) is below the level of gutter journalism. Strange how it is mainly women who like to stick the boot it.
Might I suggest that you are on the wrong forum and thread (When did you opinion of Diana change and why?) if you wish to hear what people think about Diana only to respond with vile abuse when those opinions don't agree with yours.

It takes one to have an opinion, two to have a conversation and a forum to have an international debate. And that is what this forum is all about, debating issues "in these" or indeed any, "circumstances".

FYI, descending to abuse is the resort of the bigot which, in my experience, is genderless!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
she visited him and told him about the Panorama programme and left him alone, and open to to cruel nudges, winks etc, of a Boys Public School.

She calmly walks off and leaves him there alone to face the humiliation of "the whole ghastly mess". Boys are mean and cruel and with any luck grow out of it but he was exposed and she just went ahead and destroyed his world, and trashed his father and family to the whole world. Where was the loving protective mother then?
I remember in the Panorama interview. Diana, Princess of Wales was asked about Prince William. Her reply was she did the interview while he was protected in school. I thought they had a ban on media there. She also went to her boys to explain the interview. Marg where did you get your info on how Prince William and Prince Henry were treated?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Majesty

I remember when the Morton book came out she did the same thing and there was a ban on the book being brought into the school but that some were smuggled in anyway.

The interview was done in late November with the boys going on holidays only a few weeks later. Do you really think that none of the other boys parents hadn't kept the interview on tape to show their sons (or the sons had other ways of getting to see the interview during the Christmas holidays).

She may have been able to put a ban on things officially for a couple of weeks or so but the boys would certainly have had full knowledge of it by the time school returned the following January.

Boarding schools always have underground ways of finding things out and of keeping things secret away from the prying eyes of teachers (this I know from personal experience of boarding school having been in one for 4 years and having other family members who were also at boarding school and who say the same thing over a number of generations).

Eton is also a school where the boys have easy access to the town and the reports of the interview were all over the newspapers for the next couple of days/weeks.

I have absolutely no doubt that William was aware of the contents of the interview and subject to teasing about it by his class mates and others in the school - and that he didn't report this as that would have only led to worse bullying in private situations.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

It had to be so difficult for the boys to have both of their parents doing tell all interviews and books saying hurtful things. At least by 97 everything was much better.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I remember in the Panorama interview. Diana, Princess of Wales was asked about Prince William. Her reply was she did the interview while he was protected in school. I thought they had a ban on media there. She also went to her boys to explain the interview. Marg where did you get your info on how Prince William and Prince Henry were treated?
I only referred to Prince William because he was there on his own at that time. There was actually a photograph published with she and William sittling on a bench outside half turned toward each other. She confirmed that is when she told him and ile the British press may have ignored it, the international press did what they alwayas had. The school is virtually open, which was what both parents had wanted and Diana was hardly discreet or invisible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie
Eton is also a school where the boys have easy access to the town and the reports of the interview were all over newspapers for the next couple of days/weeks.
Kids will be kids and I have no doubt they talked and sniggered at the whole ghastly mess, as other members have pointed out, the knowledge was freely available and the school is anything but "Cloistered".
Old 09-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Was this the same incident or another one where she went behind a hedge to talk to him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I only referred to Prince William because he was there on his own at that time. There was actually a photograph published with she and William sittling on a bench outside half turned toward each other.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes I think that may be the one plastered over the magazines, he in his Eton uniform and Diana trying to hustle him off, but I am sure the telephoto lens followed to where they sat together. The closer one may not haved been published in the UK due to the "agreement" about the boys at school . Time dulls exact memories but that sounds about right.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
...but the boys would certainly have had full knowledge of it by the time school returned the following January.
I agree. As far as I remember Katie Nicholl wrote in her new bio about William and Harry that William indeed had quite a difficult time because of the Panorama interview and that he was ribbed or at least he was ashamed because of it, as some of his school mates knew about it of course. I have to read that again.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There was mention in the book also that William got very angry with Diana over it too.

That's one part of the book that I found to be a bit of "poetic license". How did Katie have any clue of what happened between Diana and Will in their private apartment in KP?

Actually though, I really enjoyed the book.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It was during that time period that I just no longer regarded her as "princess". She was well on her way to becoming her own person when the accident happened and I'm sure that had history been different, she would have found a happy niche in life and hopefully the love she was seeking. There was so much she yet wanted to do.
Just speculation, but I don't think she would have ever been "happy." She was dating wealthy scoundrels and covertly threatening the RF with bad behavior. I believe Diana "shot herself in the foot" with her whining and her unwillingness to reconcile with PoW. I believe he would have stayed with her for life if they could have reached some kind of agreement. They were separated for a number of years and it is my understanding that the Palace insisted that Charles divorce her. (Someone set me straight if this isn't true).

She was in need of serious counselling, but I don't think she took advantage of any that was offered.

She disliked being a Royal and when she was no longer a Royal, she didn't like that much, either.

Tags
andrew morton, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, james hewitt, jonathan dimbleby, oliver hoare, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, squidgygate