The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?
Morton book (1990) 25 9.80%
War of the Waleses (starting 1990) 20 7.84%
Squidgygate (1992) 12 4.71%
Hewitt affair (1993) 17 6.67%
Charles' interview (1994) 5 1.96%
Panorama interview (1995) 43 16.86%
Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994) 14 5.49%
Dodi al-Fayed (1997) 23 9.02%
Other (please explain) 96 37.65%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Aristocracy

My opinion never changed.I was 12 when she was killed so i don't remember much.I guess she was a very heart warming person,great mother and i know that she was loved.Diana was beautiful,charming and extremely popular even after her death.
She made some wrong choices and people kept supporting her but at some point she believed that she could do anything she wanted and she proved to be ignorant.Lumutqueen i agree that she did use the press to her advantage.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Aristocracy

Diana was unfairly a victim of the Prince of Wales low standards of behaviour. Until the revelations about the affairs of the Wales hit the press, she always seemed a rather typical, superficial Royal whose prime aim is to dress to impress. It was apalling to learn about the terrible treatment she received from her husband. As heir to the throne he should have been able to - and should have known how to - conduct his secret affair discreetly and so as not to upset his wife. His carelessness demonstrates a lack of appreciation of how Royalty operates - public duty always always comes first. Coming from the upper class, Diana knew that our betters have a different and more 'liberal' view of private life. She was clearly a wife who was betrayed in a way that a Princess did not deserve. The key question now is: Will Charles cheat on his second wife and would that be considered acceptable? He cheated on his first wife and a leopard cannot change its spots.

Could we suddenly develop (in some revolutionary way) the same kind of sympathy for Camilla if Charles finds another mistress? I cannot imagine generating any sympathy for Camilla as the initial marriage breaker. However, I could not have imagined having any kind of sympathy for Diana before learning of her husband's infidelities.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
Diana was unfairly a victim of the Prince of Wales low standards of behaviour. Until the revelations about the affairs of the Wales hit the press, she always seemed a rather typical, superficial Royal whose prime aim is to dress to impress. It was apalling to learn about the terrible treatment she received from her husband.
Sorry but you've taken a very "Diana side" to this story. If you choose to see both sides you could see that Charles only started his affair with Camilla, (only one woman not several like Diana did) after Diana cheated.

Quote:
As heir to the throne he should have been able to - and should have known how to - conduct his secret affair discreetly and so as not to upset his wife. His carelessness demonstrates a lack of appreciation of how Royalty operates - public duty always always comes first. Coming from the upper class, Diana knew that our betters have a different and more 'liberal' view of private life. She was clearly a wife who was betrayed in a way that a Princess did not deserve. The key question now is: Will Charles cheat on his second wife and would that be considered acceptable? He cheated on his first wife and a leopard cannot change its spots.
Do you think Heir to thrones get taught how to keep their mistresses quiet? Do you assume they are handed a book Cheating 101? Diana had affairs as well, she didn't exactly do anything to hide them, in fact she probably made the most of it to get back at her husband.
Prince Charles was betrayed by his wife as well, Diana did not understand what it was the be wife of the Princess of Wales, she didn't know where her place once so when Charles fought back it was with good reason. Charles did everything to keep his public duty first, IMO.

IMO that isn't a key question, it's just something people are hoping to happen. If he cheated on Camilla people would feel sorry for her etc but not for long, more than likely people would say she got what she deserved. But tbh, Charles cheated on Diana with Camilla, who is he going to cheat on her with? Is there a third person in this marriage?

Quote:
Could we suddenly develop (in some revolutionary way) the same kind of sympathy for Camilla if Charles finds another mistress? I cannot imagine generating any sympathy for Camilla as the initial marriage breaker. However, I could not have imagined having any kind of sympathy for Diana before learning of her husband's infidelities.
Some people will always hate Camilla, some people don't have any feelings for her, and some people accept the fact that Camilla makes the future King very happy. IMOP there won't be any sudden developement of sympathy for Camilla if Charles were ever to leave her.
And what about Diana's infedelities?

Also IMO Diana was the marriage breaker, because she didn't know her place as Princess of Wales.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Aristocracy

Charles didn't have low standards of behaviour.At the time he could only marry a virgin so Di was chosen.She was aware of the relationship Charles and Camilla had but she desperately desired to become Princess.She was always emotionally unstable,she started dating Hasnat Khan (she even expressed her desire to convert to Islam) and right after their separation she started dating Al-Fayed.She always needed a man's support and this isn't normal imo.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Okay...unless you have sources from medical officials relating to Diana's mental health....let's cool the speculation.

Any questions should be directed to the British moderators and/or TRF administrators via PM.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 08-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Sorry but you've taken a very "Diana side" to this story. If you choose to see both sides you could see that Charles only started his affair with Camilla, (only one woman not several like Diana did) after Diana cheated.
What are you talking about?
The relationship between Diana and James Hewitt started in 1986.

If you want believe Charles & Camilla only to be lovers again in 1986 ... they passed weekends together since 1983/84, right?

Everyone else knows their marriage ended after the birth of Harry, when Charles complained the son has red hair and was a boy.

PS. If you're talking about Barry Manakee, his widow and his colleagues denied any affair between him and Diana. Everyone else knew them says he was more an parternal/fraternal figure for Diana than anything.

Until Ingrid Seward in an edition of Majesty magazine denied or said that there was NO evidence to affirm they had a romantic/sexual relationship.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Also IMO Diana was the marriage breaker, because she didn't know her place as Princess of Wales.
Oh please, it takes two people to ruin a marriage not just one. Both Charles and Diana made mistakes that costed them their marriage.
Both of them were wrong to break their wedding vows. I have never believed that Diana was an innocent victim in all of this, but she is responsible for half of the breakdown of the marriage the other half rest's on Charles' shoulders.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Like I said, not in my opinion it didn't.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianadebraga View Post
Everyone else knows their marriage ended after the birth of Harry, when Charles complained the son has red hair and was a boy.
Urm which "everyone knows" would this be? It's speculation the same as anything else is.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianadebraga View Post
What are you talking about?
The relationship between Diana and James Hewitt started in 1986.

If you want believe Charles & Camilla only to be lovers again in 1986 ... they passed weekends together since 1983/84, right?

PS. If you're talking about Barry Manakee, his widow and his colleagues denied any affair between him and Diana. Everyone else knew them says he was more an parternal/fraternal figure for Diana than anything.

Until Ingrid Seward in an edition of Majesty magazine denied or said that there was NO evidence to affirm they had a romantic/sexual relationship.

About when Charles' affair with Camilla began, after the marriage, I will take Diana's words for my answer - 1986 (the Panorama interview), the same year she started cheating with Hewitt.

They both started cheating on each other in the same year, Charles kept the boys away from Camilla but Diana took the boys with her to see Hewitt and that were upstairs while his mother was downstairs with the boys - the Pasternak book has that story. A bit of double standards there - you can't have the boys meet Camilla but I will do the deed upstairs with them downstairs with my lover's mother.

Diana had some good points but they were very few in my opinion. I can usually list about two - charity work and dressing well. I am not convinced about her as a mother and see her more as a smotherer (like Alexandra without Alexandra grace or class).
Old 08-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Aristocracy

I believe she adored her boys and she had some kind of charisma (she certainly was graceful imo) but proved to be very irresponsible and ungrateful.
I don't think that Charles would ever cheat on Camilla but if that happened she wouldn't receive any sympathy at all.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree as well, she loved and adored those boys. I remember back in 07 Will and Harry said they wished they had more time with her in an interview. And at the memorial service Harry did say she was the best mother in the world to him.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Serene Highness

I believe Princess Diana cheated on Prince Charles to get back at him. If he hasn't cheated on her, she would not have cheated on him. These were two people who probably should never have married in the first place. Since it would be very difficult to find a virgin in his age group or slightly younger (most of these women were either married, divorced, living with a man or had a relationship with a man), he had to find someone who was several years younger than him in order to fulfill that requirement. Forgot about whether they had common interests. A virgin who could physically have children was all that mattered. Everything else took a back sit.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Aristocracy

Diana is an Angel My opinion won't change For me she's like Odette A sweet Princess that tried hard to be happy next to Prince Daniel (Charles) and Camilla is Odile who stole her happiness The Queen is Von Rothbart without doubt because she always prefered Odile and not Odette It was like the conspiracy in the fairytale That's how I see it until now
Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Aristocracy

Oh dear god. An Angel? Odette, Daniel, Odile, I think this comparison sucks immensely. In my opinion Diana was a wolf in sheeps clothing. But why am I commenting on this thread? I never liked her, I never will. So my opinion never changed.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Aristocracy

The comparison was a hit Haven't you heard of Graeme Murphy's version of Swan Lake ? It was based on Diana's and Charles' separation as well as on his relationship with Camilla
Old 09-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Aristocracy

I have heard of it, dear. But perhaps your Diana angel was more Odile than Murphy and you think........
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Aristocracy

Whatever.. I prefer the Barbie version of Swan Lake anyway
Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Aristocracy

Good on you!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
Diana was a wolf in sheeps clothing.

That's probably the best description of Diana I have ever read - and it is so true.

Closed Thread

Tags
andrew morton, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, james hewitt, jonathan dimbleby, oliver hoare, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, squidgygate