The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?
Morton book (1990) 25 9.80%
War of the Waleses (starting 1990) 20 7.84%
Squidgygate (1992) 12 4.71%
Hewitt affair (1993) 17 6.67%
Charles' interview (1994) 5 1.96%
Panorama interview (1995) 43 16.86%
Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994) 14 5.49%
Dodi al-Fayed (1997) 23 9.02%
Other (please explain) 96 37.65%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Nobility

When the Wales' extra-marital affairs came to light it conflicted with my own values, that marriage is sacred. I wondered what she wanted with that other bloke. Then there were rumours of other blokes too.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Well, to me it was mainly the Panorama-Interview that changed my opinion, but not at that time of course because I was a bit too young I think, to understand all that. But in retrospect indeed. I was twelve years old when Diana died, of course I knew her, some of the banner headlines about the marriage, the whole "triangle" between her and Charles and Camilla and I watched those silly TV-movies about Fergie & her, but I never really had an opinion about Diana, she didn't fascinated me nor did I disliked her (I had a soft spot for the Queen and the Queen Mother especially, when I was a child). Then Diana died and I was as many of us overwhelmed by the collective mourning. I didn't cry when I watched the funeral on TV, but I remember quite well how concerned I was and I mainly had sympathy for Harry and William. Especially because my own father died a year earlier and I thought to know how they felt. I still remember all that hype after her dead quite well, the stylization to an icon of an selfless woman and a betrayed by the royal family.

Maybe I have to add that I somehow always felt sympathy for Camilla and found it very unfair to blame her for the damaged marriage of Charles and Diana. So in the last years I read books, watched documentaries and and and... As I never was a fan of Diana, my opinion never changed really, but I do think she made some fatal mistakes and one of them was the Panorama Interview. As it is mentioned at the beginning of this thread I always felt that it was an directly slap in the face to the monarchy, especially to Charles and HM. I really think she shouldn't have done that, as well as I think she used the media and she should have known it better.

Of course she was a human being and did mistakes as everyone does. As well as I know that she did good things and I appreciate her for that. But yes, I do see that she injured the british monarchy more than she helped it. But thats just my own opinion and it does mean no offence to anyone here, not even to Diana. To me she never was a saint, but it's although quite said that she died so young...

Old 10-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

She wasn't a saint to me either Dierna.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I tend to say that to me it isn't Diana's fault that some people - not me and you of course - still think she was a saint (I choose this word only in a striking sense). To me it's the fault of the mass media which always like to portray a person onesided. For that we had "Princess Pushy", "the Rottweiler" (though this was a creation of Diana, the press used it of course with pleasure), "Randy Andy" and all this ridiculous stereotyping. I prefer to make my own thougts...
Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Then Diana died and I was as many of us overwhelmed by the collective mourning. I didn't cry when I watched the funeral on TV, but I remember quite well how concerned I was and I mainly had sympathy for Harry and William. Especially because my own father died a year earlier and I thought to know how they felt.
Yes, I think I had the same experience watching the coverage of Diana's death. I was about the same age as you, in other words just a little younger than Harry, and my first thought was to feel sorry for William and Harry. Just the other day I saw a video clip of them walking behind her coffin and it struck me again, how hard it must have been for them to lose their mother at such a young age. Thankfully I haven't lost my father and I'm sorry you did, but...I could still imagine how the princes felt. Especially with the card "Mummy"--that was so sad. It's funny because maybe an adult watching the coverage of Diana's death would have paid attention to the feuding between the Spencers and the royal family, or the reaction of the Queen and Prince Philip, and I did, but I remember feeling the most sympathy for William and Harry. Whatever Diana did, she was still their mother.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was 7 when the Princess died and remember seeing the boys walking behind her casket. And I remember thinking here are 2 of the most unluckiest boys because they lost their mommy.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

No human's are saints. Diana, certainly, was not one. She went into a marriage with foolish ideas, for her set. She expected a marriage, with a loving husband. She got someone who had another love. Actually, it was sad for them, too. In the end, the children lost a mother who adored them She lost her life. And the monarchy, could forever, say she damaged them, without rebuttal. The truth is they damaged, themselves. Their actions speak for themselves. No one can damage you, you do it to yourself.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
No human's are saints. Diana, certainly, was not one. She went into a marriage with foolish ideas, for her set. She expected a marriage, with a loving husband. She got someone who had another love. Actually, it was sad for them, too. In the end, the children lost a mother who adored them She lost her life. And the monarchy, could forever, say she damaged them, without rebuttal. The truth is they damaged, themselves. Their actions speak for themselves. No one can damage you, you do it to yourself.
Not that old chestnut again.... Diana came to the marriage with a belief that her husband could drop all of his official engagements on her whim and when he didn't, we have little episodes such as throwing herself down a couple of steps. When someone sets out to damage an institution or family, as Diana did, it is a little rich to blame the people she damaged. I don't believe the Royal family have ever said she damaged them, that tends to be the British public/media who came to that conclusion.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

My opinion changed when I realized how many lovers she had in her life.

But I will always admire her work against cluster bombs, I think those things are monstrous and should have been banned long ago.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts about the eternal Charles vs. Diana debate have been deleted… I feel like we've been repeating this for ages and still some don't get it. Don't worry, we know on which side you are so no point going through this every time there's a discussion. I hope this makes it clear.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 10-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Majesty

That's why my opinion changed as well. I had given her the benefit of the doubt until she admitted the affair with Hewitt; then all the other stories seemed much more plausible. Then that all gave the lie to Her True Story's account that she was the victim of an adulterous husband and innocent of that kind of behaviour herself. The Panorama interview was really the turning point for me, but then other things started to fall into place as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
My opinion changed when I realized how many lovers she had in her life.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:55 PM

My opinion changed when i knew about all her lovers. Even i could understand she wasn´t happy and she was looking for someone to love her, i couldent understand why she had lovers that where married.... Oliver Hoare, Will Carling.... she did to their wifes what Camilla was doing to her.. worst i think becouse she knew the suffering. Finally her romance with dodi didn´t help.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Royal Highness

helicopter?

My opinion of Diana changed soon after she kept harping about the paparazzi hounding her. It became a saga that could have been easily fixed. Well I just could not fathom why Jackie used a helicopter to get from the roofs of commercial buildings in Athens where she did a lot of shopping to the airport or anywhere else and Diana was stuck without a helicopter?
This went on for years on end and I was confounded how Diana could be so charismatic, caring compassionate and yet not have thought of this herself?She telephoned and hung up.[mistake]But Diana also did much good in the world by expressing whatever she had to give of herself to her calling. Even on the final night of her life I thought of Jackie and how she had always used a helicopter and I had seen her in Athens many times while the razzi were there waiting..zoom lenses and all. while Jackie would enter a helicopter at the top of the building and fly off. The razzi would be left behind. bye bye.And that is what I hoped for Diana too.Diana was neither damaged nor ill in any way I see.Diana was too self absorbed to realize she might have another choice as far as the razzi go and this kind of sensibility extended into other areas of her life without her realizingthe possible consequences..
You did not have to be Einstein to have figured this one out.Helicopter.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Commoner

I went off her when she seemed to be encouraging the press and started to use them against Prince Charles. Its not nice to undermine a man without who she would have been a nobody. She didn't give a jot about the pain she caused their 2 sons with the book she wrote either.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I assume by Jackie you mean Jackie Kennedy Onassis?
Bearing in mind the BRF aren't as rich as Jackie was, to be seen flying around in a helicopter when she wasn't even a royal was a ridiculous idea.
What about when Diana had to travel from house to house?
If she used a helicopter as a car to press would have gone balistic at her.
The BRF are not celebrities, like Jackie O was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki J View Post
I went off her when she seemed to be encouraging the press and started to use them against Prince Charles. Its not nice to undermine a man without who she would have been a nobody. She didn't give a jot about the pain she caused their 2 sons with the book she wrote either.
I agree with you, what she did to Charles using her popularity was awful. But yes her boys were probably hurt the most by the War of the Waleses.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Aristocracy

My deeper insight into her life after learning about her attempts to find admiration, acceptance and "love" is how pathetic and what a waste of a life. That for possibly a selfish usurpation and maneuvering by a Country for an heir she might as she grew into a woman been an admirable human being. As we saw signs of it.

I see some good in her leaving these lovely young men who loved her and will carry on her well-intentioned and world-admired charity work.

And her spirit that knew, and however sought that she deserved some "love" and appreciation.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I assume by Jackie you mean Jackie Kennedy Onassis?
Bearing in mind the BRF aren't as rich as Jackie was, to be seen flying around in a helicopter when she wasn't even a royal was a ridiculous idea.
What about when Diana had to travel from house to house?
If she used a helicopter as a car to press would have gone balistic at her.
The BRF are not celebrities, like Jackie O was.
I agree with you, what she did to Charles using her popularity was awful. But yes her boys were probably hurt the most by the War of the Waleses.
It is not as ridiculous as having Diana die accidentally and the fact you say they could not afford it is sheer conjecture. It was a matter of safety. The BRF could afford it although notconsidered it orofferitas an option and so could Diana.I have no idea what celebrity status has to do with life and death...and what point U are attempting to make.
Jackie used her brains which were plenteous.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Since when aren't the BRF family as rich as Jackie O. Please, what a ridiculous statement. They have everything and then some and then some more. In the years that they never paid taxes, Jackie did. They also, shun the word "celebrity status", but they are out there getting there share of publicity. Mugging for the cameras. The problem was Diana was stealing their share of the page. They just want to seem above it. This myth that they are above manipulating the press for their benefit is also silly.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Since when aren't the BRF family as rich as Jackie O.
Quite simply, they are richer than Jackie O ever was. Even though RFK paid her a stipend before he was assassinated, she received a stipend from the US Government for being a widow and Old Joe Kennedy put money into a trust so Jackie wouldn't leave JFK when he was running for President, Aristotle only gave her so much and was trying to dump her before he died, none of this money was enough for Jackie. Yes, Jackie used her brains, though Jackie never did anything without a purpose, Diana did the same in many respects.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Since when aren't the BRF family as rich as Jackie O. Please, what a ridiculous statement. They have everything and then some and then some more. In the years that they never paid taxes, Jackie did. They also, shun the word "celebrity status", but they are out there getting there share of publicity. Mugging for the cameras. The problem was Diana was stealing their share of the page. They just want to seem above it. This myth that they are above manipulating the press for their benefit is also silly.
Thank you for that Countess. Everyone throws in an opinion and no truth will surface-.Jackie was almost a pauper compared to the BRF as a dynasty.Diana should and could have used a helicopter.Let us not have a pity party for the BRF and their supposed lack of money which would truly be spectacular if it equalled Jackie's shrewd brains .

Closed Thread

Tags
andrew morton, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, james hewitt, jonathan dimbleby, oliver hoare, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, squidgygate