The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?
Morton book (1990) 25 9.80%
War of the Waleses (starting 1990) 20 7.84%
Squidgygate (1992) 12 4.71%
Hewitt affair (1993) 17 6.67%
Charles' interview (1994) 5 1.96%
Panorama interview (1995) 43 16.86%
Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994) 14 5.49%
Dodi al-Fayed (1997) 23 9.02%
Other (please explain) 96 37.65%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 PM

I was 15 when Diana died, and I remember being so devastated. I got up at 4am to watch the funeral. It was so sad to see someone who seemed to be on the road to peace and happiness so suddenly lose their life. For a while, I saw her almost like a saint and refused to believe any of the stories of her being mentally ill or manipulative.

Now that it has been 11 years since Diana died, I see her differently. I do think she was acting irrationally during the War of the Waleses, without a thought of how it would all effect her two boys. The Panorama interview was just plain wrong, with her saying to the whole world that Charles should not be King.

I have to be honest that I really don't think Diana was that good of a mother. Yes, she was very attentive and affectionate. But a good mother wouldn't use her kids as part of her scheme to get even with their father or embarrass them in front of the world. And if she was manipulative with her public image, she would've been manipulative with Wills and Harry.

I don't see Diana as a bad woman or a good woman. She did have faults like everyone else does, but I see her as unwise, and emotionally immature. Her charity work did show the kindness of her heart, but I also wonder if she overdid it.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

I've moved a couple of posts over to the Charles & Diana thread as they are a better fit there than to the "when did your opinion change" question.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Courtier

To answer the question: It hasn't.

(My post was one that was moved, although I don't post in the Charles and Diana thread.)
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Gentry

I just came across this topic today. I chose "other"
I was twelve when Charles and Diana married. Before that I was not interested in royalty. But from the moment I saw the wedding on a very bad tiny televisionscreen on a campingsite I was hooked. I really liked Diana and also the rest of the BRF ( and later on also other royals). I "felt in love" with prince Andrew( how pathetic) I think I needed all this in my teens. I was a very shy girl and collecting items about esp Diana was just an escape. When I was 18-19 years it all of a sudden stopped, I lost my interest.
Then I came to England in 1995, I lived there till 1999. It was impossible not to notice Diana. She was everywhere: in newspapers, magazines, television etc. It was then when my opinion changed. I really wondered why I had been so interested in her. To be honest I found her very, very pathetic.
Her endless revenge, the absolutely stupid Panorama interview, I only saw half of it.
I realised then that she had a lot of psychological problems. But she always blamed someone else and it seemed she refused to see her own part in the problems.
I remember thinking in 1997 when I read that Diana was again blackmailing the RF: "When does this stop, she can't go on like this for her whole life!"
Two or three weeks later she was dead. I was shocked and felt sorry that she had not overcome her problems. She was so selfdestructive. Of course the crash was not her fault, but i do think that she destroyed herself. So sad.
Although I was not keen on Charles either (esp his aldultery), I do like him now. He is doing a good job and he is a good father.
I am very pleased there is no Diana in the Dutch Royal family, this is just not a healthy situation
Old 12-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

How was Diana blackmailing the royal family in 1997?
Old 12-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Aristocracy

My opinion of Diana never changed per say. As the years have gone on I've gotten a new perspective. Like when she revealed that she too had an affair, I saw her as more of a human being like myself. She insecruities just like I did/do. I never have like Diana bashers, shes no longer here to defend herself. She so many internal conflicts that she just didn't know what to do with herself and her reaction to it, all of it played out in the public eye. Yes, Diana did bring some the tabloid stuff on herself. I see her now just like you or I a human being that had faults.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:25 AM

My perception of Diana did not change. I was married a year after Diana and Charles and my two sons were born a year after William and Harry. I clearly remember reading about and watching the courtship, engagement and their wedding and wondering how on Earth Diana could ever survive adjustment into royal life. Her damage was so very obvious to me even then.

Both Charles and Diana used the other. As a schoolgirl, Diana had a poster of Charles in her room. She first met him at a "country" Spencer gathering. Years later, by her own admission, her first lengthy conversation with him was quite planned, with her using her compassion over the death of his dear uncle to immediately endear him to her. Obviously, Charles was following the call of duty and expectation in his choice of marriage partner. It was such a contrived fairytale from the very onset.

Diana survived as long as she did by proving that her lack of "O Levels" in relation to her actual level of intelligence was reflective only on paper. The Royal Family, Charles included, and Camilla as well had absolutely no clue that Diana could and would turn out to be such a force with which to be reckoned. Even when there was a faulty step on Diana's part, royal protocol assured Diana a win at every turn. The stiff upper lip and a silent defense by the royals opened the door for a windfall of public successes for Diana. She played the game as a pro in spite of all of her personal damage. It is no wonder at all that the Duke of E so disliked her.

Diana's downfall was in her timing. Ultimately, she failed to learn and exhibit good timing. By 1997 the fight was over, yet she was still playing the game. If only she had avoided allowing the likes of Al Fayed then or in her future to thrust her into the middle of his own battle with the British government and the royal family, she would most probably have found and achieved much of the security and balance that she so desperately sought. I would like to beleive that vindictiveness did not cause her death, but sadly I think she was very much aware of how what she was doing would effect both Dr. Khan and the royal family, when she accepted the invitations to her last holidays. She had already won the game...if only she had realized it and stopped playing.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Royal Highness

So very true. I wonder if she would be with Dr. Khan now or living in America? I wish she did not gamble on life after she won her freedom. But even with that shortcoming I still admire Diana, Princess of Wales.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Serene Highness

I think my opinion changed long after she died. I was young then and never remembered all the incidences before. I didn't hate her, but I saw her as human, rather than some idolized fairy tale princess. I never liked her comment about her treatment by the royal family after all she "had done for them." She did good things for them: produced (good looking) heir and spare, gave them good publicity after a some what scandalous 1970s, and eased the atmosphere and their interaction with the public.
However, marrying into the royal family gave her a great outlet as well. Being essentially a high school drop out, Diana would have probably just lived sheltered, cushy life as the wife of a fellow aristocrat or nouveau riche social climber looking for blue-blooded connections. By marrying Charles, she managed to become the thing she excelled at, a celebrity. Diana just had star-power, and she used it for good like charity work and bad during her divorce and her affair with Dodi.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Majesty

Nouveau-riche social climber?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I think my opinion changed long after she died. I was young then and never remembered all the incidences before. I didn't hate her, but I saw her as human, rather than some idolized fairy tale princess. I never liked her comment about her treatment by the royal family after all she "had done for them." She did good things for them: produced (good looking) heir and spare, gave them good publicity after a some what scandalous 1970s, and eased the atmosphere and their interaction with the public.
However, marrying into the royal family gave her a great outlet as well. Being essentially a high school drop out, Diana would have probably just lived sheltered, cushy life as the wife of a fellow aristocrat or nouveau riche social climber looking for blue-blooded connections. By marrying Charles, she managed to become the thing she excelled at, a celebrity. Diana just had star-power, and she used it for good like charity work and bad during her divorce and her affair with Dodi.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
Being essentially a high school drop out, Diana would have probably just lived sheltered, cushy life as the wife of a fellow aristocrat or nouveau riche social climber looking for blue-blooded connections.
I think if Diana, Princess of Wales did not marry Prince Charles she would have tried to marry Prince Andrew. She kept herself virginal for a reason.

Her whole family named her "Duch" because they teased her about Andrew. When Diana was growing up she played with Prince Andrew. Both her sisters marry aristocratic men, so hopefully she would have too.

But my opinion of Diana, Princess of Wales has never changed. She was human and she made mistakes, but she did much good too.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
Commoner

I never knew just how alone she was

My opinion of Diana will always be that she was used by the Royal family for the heir. She wanted to much to be accepted and the public loved her, but she lived a lonely existence of exile within palace walls. She had played her part and was a bigger star than stodgy Charles. They should've given her the "royal treatment" and never let her go. Camilla will never take her place. It was a hard life for a young girl to put up with. She had no clue that her royal life would not be the fairy tale that nineteen year olds think are possible. I have always adored her, but never knew just how alone she was until I read the latest Paul Burrell book. It was mainly just her and him and secret meetings with Hasnat Khan. It was absolutely sad to hear how alone she was when she lay in state at KP. The Royal Family's treatment of Diana changed my opinion of them as being very unforgiving. Diana was what the epitome of being a royal should be - smiling, giving, loving, and understanding. The sad, ironic tragedy was that she was alone, yet the whole world stood still because of her loss. Frozen out by the royals, but not by those of us who love her still.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Aristocracy

I was very young when Princess Diana died, I was only so I don't remeber her as a living person, I only remember when her funeral was on tv and I asked my dad what had happened and he told me. I instantly felt an immense sadness in my heart, and no other celebrity's death has ever affected me in that way. And then at around 11 years old I got a book about her from my friend who was moving away and ever since then I've been a Diana fan.
I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that.- Princess Diana
Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRoyal View Post
I have always adored her, but never knew just how alone she was until I read the latest Paul Burrell book. It was mainly just her and him and secret meetings with Hasnat Khan.

snip

Frozen out by the royals, but not by those of us who love her still.
Have you ever thought about the possibility that those who are alone are alone for a reason. Human beings tend to live in "flocks" and most of us manage to live that way because of the capability to forgive and forget, to compromise and to put the welfare of others before that of ourself. I wonder what you think about why Diana, who was so loved by so many people who did not know her personally but were acquainted with her image, was not able to find closeness with the people who knew her as a person, not a picture.

Reading the protocolls of the inquest into her death might help you to find an answer.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Gentry

My husband was posted to London and we arrived there during January 1981. (We stayed for 5 years and I loved every minute of it!). What a joy and surprise when Charles and Diana got engaged AND I WAS THERE!!! Still have the newspapers! Needless to say I became a huge Diana fan and thought that she was just perfect. By the time we left England (1986) it was clear that something was terribly wrong. Still I thought that she was being treated very unfairly by the RF and that she was being used. I wanted to believe that. Well, the Panorama interview did it for me as I realized then that no matter what, she distanced herself too far away from the RF to make any amends. It shattered my dreams and hopes for her and that made me very sad.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Majesty

I found the second half of the Panorama more disturbing than the first part of it. There was a side of Diana coming through there that I'd never seen before; the less rational side of her was poking through. I also realized at that point that we'd misled by the Morton book, because up to the point of the interview there was no absolute proof that she had carried on extramarital affairs.

So my feelings toward her now are more nostalgia for the early years of her marriage, before she developed kind of a hard shell. I'm also sad that things couldn't have worked out differently.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness

I definitely agree with this. The Panorama interview showed a very unattractive side of Diana, one that I think was better hidden or less developed before this.

I also agree with angelwngs that both Charles and Diana used the other. I don't really believe either of them intended to do so, or were aware of the fact, but I think they married for the wrong reasons and neither had much ability to maintain a healthy relationship: and as a result, the marriage fell apart pretty quickly. But I also agree with you, angelwngs, that Diana "played the game" well. Despite not being impressed with her as a role model, I have a bit of admiration for her ability to influence people. At its worst, it was deception and manipulation; at its best it was genuine compassion and personal magnetism.

When I do think about it, I guess I've come to see Diana's life as a kind of tragic waste (as far as any human life can be a "waste"). She wasted her own talents by choosing to focus instead on spite and self-promotion; and I think almost everyone in her life, at some point, used her (she was even born, supposedly, because Earl Spencer wanted a male heir and not out of any particular desire on the part of her parents to have more children). The royal family, including Charles, would rather have had a dutiful, emotionally stable princess than the real Diana; the media hounded her; and the public turned her into an idol. I really do believe that Diana (like every human being in the world) had many gifts, but I think even her good deeds are really outclipsed, in a way, by her trail of broken relationships and her tendency towards deception. I think if I had been on royalty forums while Diana was still alive I would have criticized her relentlessly...I know I didn't admire her at all at the time she died...but now, I feel sorry for how (relatively, despite William and Harry) pointless her life turned out to be, despite all the glitter and promise of the early 80s and her own capacity to be genuinely compassionate and unselfish.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Dont remember 1 specific moment just over the years
Old 03-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Majesty

I think that one of the very good things that she did was draw attention to people who were sick, people who were without resources, people who had to live with landmines in their fields and streets. As active as the Royal Family has been in promoting various worthy agendas, no one can deny that Diana attracted media attention in a particular way; and that did shed light on the problems in many people's lives. There's no need to debate that she used the media, the media used her and that she manipulated the media to her own ends; the cameras and the microphones were there in Bosnia and Angola and hospital wards and hospices and leper wards, and we learned about things we otherwise wouldn't have known--only because Diana was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I definitely agree with this. The Panorama interview showed a very unattractive side of Diana, one that I think was better hidden or less developed before this.

I also agree with angelwngs that both Charles and Diana used the other. I don't really believe either of them intended to do so, or were aware of the fact, but I think they married for the wrong reasons and neither had much ability to maintain a healthy relationship: and as a result, the marriage fell apart pretty quickly. But I also agree with you, angelwngs, that Diana "played the game" well. Despite not being impressed with her as a role model, I have a bit of admiration for her ability to influence people. At its worst, it was deception and manipulation; at its best it was genuine compassion and personal magnetism.

When I do think about it, I guess I've come to see Diana's life as a kind of tragic waste (as far as any human life can be a "waste"). She wasted her own talents by choosing to focus instead on spite and self-promotion; and I think almost everyone in her life, at some point, used her (she was even born, supposedly, because Earl Spencer wanted a male heir and not out of any particular desire on the part of her parents to have more children). The royal family, including Charles, would rather have had a dutiful, emotionally stable princess than the real Diana; the media hounded her; and the public turned her into an idol. I really do believe that Diana (like every human being in the world) had many gifts, but I think even her good deeds are really outclipsed, in a way, by her trail of broken relationships and her tendency towards deception. I think if I had been on royalty forums while Diana was still alive I would have criticized her relentlessly...I know I didn't admire her at all at the time she died...but now, I feel sorry for how (relatively, despite William and Harry) pointless her life turned out to be, despite all the glitter and promise of the early 80s and her own capacity to be genuinely compassionate and unselfish.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Nobility

My opinion of her never changed. I grew up in the 1990s, and saw her as a fairytale Princess from an early age without completely understanding that the her life was much more complicated than that. But I did feel that she wouldn't live long even before she died- it just seemed hard to imagine her getting older when she was beauty, youth, and glamour, I guess. I really got interested in early 1995 when I saw a documentry on tv about her- not sure which one. But I really became interested in her after her death and have read pretty much everything about her. So the only change for me was that as I read more and more about her I realized the full complexity of her life, beyond my childhood idea of her as a fairytale Princess( I was 11 when she died).

Closed Thread

Tags
andrew morton, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, james hewitt, jonathan dimbleby, oliver hoare, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, squidgygate