The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?
Morton book (1990) 25 9.80%
War of the Waleses (starting 1990) 20 7.84%
Squidgygate (1992) 12 4.71%
Hewitt affair (1993) 17 6.67%
Charles' interview (1994) 5 1.96%
Panorama interview (1995) 43 16.86%
Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994) 14 5.49%
Dodi al-Fayed (1997) 23 9.02%
Other (please explain) 96 37.65%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #721  
Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I would love to put what a wonderful post, to you and jcbcode99, but as you probably know, I have said I will not post on these threads because it upsets too many people, so my lips are sealed, hands tied, silenced!
Ahh, the 'I would never dream of posting xyz' about xyz post. While lips were sealed and hands were tied, fingers were still flying across the keyboard, so not quite silenced.
__________________

__________________
  #722  
Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Let's stop the bickering before this thread gets closed. Back on topic!!!
__________________

__________________
  #723  
Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I disagree. I don't think you can make her responsible for her apparition in the headlines today. If we keep rehashing, as you say, it's not because she's Diana, it's because she's famous. And mind you, most of the news coming up today are mostly gossips and stories to sell papers. For example, the sex claim with Paul Burrell; it'd be wrong to blame her for that when nobody knows if it's true. All you see today when her name appears is because a few are still using her as their cash cow. It will always be the same thing for famous dead people.
I agree with you with things like Paul Burrell and the others coming up with stuff that wasn't really known or suspected during her life but there are people still bringing up things like Hewitt, the phone calls, the Morton Book and her Panorama interview and those she was responsible for and those are the things that I blame her for. In doing those things she didn't think about her sons and the long term impact on their lives. Those are the things she should be blamed for that her sons are still suffering through.

People like Burrell, who just wants to make money off her now that she is gone and can't defend herself I don't blame her for totally - as she has no control over their actions but... had she not done some of the things she did then these people wouldn't be able to say the things they do and be believed.

So she is responsible for the pain that her sons probably are still suffering when they see her life rehashed - due to actions for which she must be held responsible as she did them or due to the fact that what she did makes it possible for others to cash in on her. How must the princes feel when Burrell says some of the things he says? Why does he say these things - because she treated him in such a way that he feels that he can say these things e.g. that he is protecting her legacy and not William and Harry. Burrell must be held accountable for that comment and comdemned for it, but the fact that there are people who see that as correct is because of her actions. The fact that when they support their father and say they 'love Camilla to bits' is seen by some as betraying their mother is partly because their mother trashed their father in public - so the criticism of her sons is still due to the actions of the mother.

I am totally against anyone who is trying to cash in on her life but the fact that people are still doing so is because of her actions. The fact that they are doing so in often a negative way surely brings sadness to her sons. That is my point - her actions lead to current actions which should be upsetting her sons and therefore she is responsible - even 11 years after her death.
__________________
  #724  
Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Let's stop the bickering before this thread gets closed. Back on topic!!!
Hear Hear!

As I voted "{ Other"and an explanation was requested,here it is.

On Diana.She never was my next best thing instead of a pet she seems to be to many others.
Remembering the day of their engagement,I recall I thought;
"What is this suppose to be?" A "lightweight",unfit for her future role.

With the years,one saw her change,elevate from a schoolkid to a young woman,into a hysterical belated adolescent,a state
of mind she never got away from.A loose canon and flimsy superficial girl who acted while camera's buzzed,but other then that,
wasn't halve as special as the St.Di diehards would like you to believe.

But then that comes/came with that silly cry for celebrities,for superficial/fake/plastic stuff/people that reached hysterical proportions really,focussing on Diana.The Panorama interview hit us all like a brick,and god,was she good,she knew exactly how to play the camera's,
work her eyelashes for her,her "innocent" appearance,all of that and then some.

Her causes,yes,they did raise awareness,got to give her that.
She could focuss on a cause for as long as it took,and certainly while camera's were rolling,
I never lost that feel of "fake" watching her.
She made an impact nonetheless.

Nevertheless,I recall I heard about an accident in Paris late that night in '97.I never went to bed but watched/listened to the BBC as,
little by little,news broke.
And was really devastated to learn they both had died,she,I 've always felt,due to a sloppy Paris ambulance system.Why drive from
one end of Paris at the Pont d'Alma to the other end while other hospitals were so much closer by?I've never understood that,
it was so unnescesary.

What developed then was the most unheard of display of grief.
Well,it should have been,but right from the very start that sunday morning,I recall the BBC's Duncan Kennedy,and Jenny Bond,
using phrases as if a saint had just left us and talked each and everyone into a sort of media hysterics unknown to history and
a vox populi ad nauseam.

There was immense grief,mixed with,what I saw/see,as immense fake as well,and it often was not as much the grief for Diana's
passing as well as their own frustrations or 5 minutes of fame or whatever,poured out into the streets of London.Appalling.

Those of you who were old enough at the time,will understand when I say "it chooked me up to watch the funeral".Everything,from the moment her coffin left Kensington Palace to the Abbey,to the boys joining the procession,the millions lining the streets in silence.That
made a lasting impact.No/one in his right mind wants anyone to die that young,but no/one could ever have imagined this outpoor either.
It was perplexing really,beyond anything known to men before,except for JFK´s assassination and funeral,if you were old enough,and I was.Felt I couldn´t breath at times,so chooked up by the images on tv,the service at the Abbey,all.
And all that for a girl I never thought was fit for her role at all.She made an impact,even on me.
__________________
  #725  
Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 AM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I agree with you with things like Paul Burrell and the others coming up with stuff that wasn't really known or suspected during her life but there are people still bringing up things like Hewitt, the phone calls, the Morton Book and her Panorama interview and those she was responsible for and those are the things that I blame her for. In doing those things she didn't think about her sons and the long term impact on their lives. Those are the things she should be blamed for that her sons are still suffering through.

People like Burrell, who just wants to make money off her now that she is gone and can't defend herself I don't blame her for totally - as she has no control over their actions but... had she not done some of the things she did then these people wouldn't be able to say the things they do and be believed.

So she is responsible for the pain that her sons probably are still suffering when they see her life rehashed - due to actions for which she must be held responsible as she did them or due to the fact that what she did makes it possible for others to cash in on her. How must the princes feel when Burrell says some of the things he says? Why does he say these things - because she treated him in such a way that he feels that he can say these things e.g. that he is protecting her legacy and not William and Harry. Burrell must be held accountable for that comment and comdemned for it, but the fact that there are people who see that as correct is because of her actions. The fact that when they support their father and say they 'love Camilla to bits' is seen by some as betraying their mother is partly because their mother trashed their father in public - so the criticism of her sons is still due to the actions of the mother.

I am totally against anyone who is trying to cash in on her life but the fact that people are still doing so is because of her actions. The fact that they are doing so in often a negative way surely brings sadness to her sons. That is my point - her actions lead to current actions which should be upsetting her sons and therefore she is responsible - even 11 years after her death.
Excuse me but I don't follow you. It's not actually Burrell who did the claim but one of his in-laws and all I can recall of what Burrell said was never derogatory towards Diana. You can't blame her for acting bad with Burrell if he's not more responsible than her (from what we are aware of, of course). Moreover, if you blame Diana for having an affair with Hewitt, which I need to precise was never meant to be public, you have to be fair and admit that it's exactly the same thing for Charles with Camilla. Both couples were spread over the tabloids front pages and both stories may have upset the Princes. So Diana responsible for having an secret affair and being recorded during phone calls? Umm, I don't think so. But you have a point with the Panorama Interview and the Morton book; that was a true mistake and totally unwise thing to do.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
  #726  
Old 11-05-2008, 04:45 PM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Felt I couldn´t breath at times, so chooked up by the images on tv, the service at the Abbey, all. And all that for a girl I never thought was fit for her role at all. She made an impact, even on me.
Diana, Princess of Wales made an impact on the world. I truly believe if two factors in her marriage were never there - her broken mental health and young age - Princess Diana would still be married to Prince Charles and maybe alive today.I have thought of her as a tragic figure ad can not change my good opinion of her.
__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
  #727  
Old 11-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,270
There is something tragic about her, I agree. I do believe that she had great hopes for her marriage and adult life--perhaps hoping against hope that things would be okay after they were married and on their own. But the weaknesses were there and came out strongly under great pressure. She gave into her weaknesses/flaws in terms of how she conducted her personal life and the people she went to for her advice. The hardest thing about watching Diana's life in the last few years was seeing her rushing headlong into destruction. She was taking so many risks and losing control of everything. It was a sad end.


Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Diana, Princess of Wales made an impact on the world. I truly believe if two factors in her marriage were never there - her broken mental health and young age - Princess Diana would still be married to Prince Charles and maybe alive today.I have thought of her as a tragic figure ad can not change my good opinion of her.
__________________
  #728  
Old 11-05-2008, 07:56 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
There is something tragic about her, I agree. I do believe that she had great hopes for her marriage and adult life--perhaps hoping against hope that things would be okay after they were married and on their own. But the weaknesses were there and came out strongly under great pressure. She gave into her weaknesses/flaws in terms of how she conducted her personal life and the people she went to for her advice. The hardest thing about watching Diana's life in the last few years was seeing her rushing headlong into destruction. She was taking so many risks and losing control of everything. It was a sad end.
I can't help but agree with you Mermaid1962, well said.

My opinion of the Princess has never changed. I remember looking at photos and media footage of Princess Diana in 97 and noticed how happy and healthy she looked. I beleive she was on the road to maturity and to becoming a better person, when she passed.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #729  
Old 11-06-2008, 06:52 AM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I beleive she was on the road to maturity and to becoming a better person, when she passed.
Agree with you sirhon. That is why her death was tragic.

BTW LOVE YOUR AVARTAR!!!! CHANGE COMING!!!!!
__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
  #730  
Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Carminha Stalker's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 1,709
I didn´t vote, because I consider Diana as a human being who had great qualities and also faults like anyone of us. For me, and most Brazilians, she represented the beauty, magic and charisma that a princess should have.
__________________
  #731  
Old 11-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,270
But that's not what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I can't help but agree with you Mermaid1962, well said.

My opinion of the Princess has never changed. I remember looking at photos and media footage of Princess Diana in 97 and noticed how happy and healthy she looked. I beleive she was on the road to maturity and to becoming a better person, when she passed.
__________________
  #732  
Old 11-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,270
Yes, I understand that--the "beauty, magic, and charisma." I like to remember that side of her as well as the side of her that was caring and kind. There were two Dianas, in a way. I think that toward the end of her life, we were seeing more of the formerly private Diana. The more she tried to justify her behaviour, the worse she looked. Had she kept quiet about her personal life, her public persona wouldn't have been so damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker View Post
I didn´t vote, because I consider Diana as a human being who had great qualities and also faults like anyone of us. For me, and most Brazilians, she represented the beauty, magic and charisma that a princess should have.
__________________
  #733  
Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
But that's not what I said.
I know, but I had to put my opinion in.

Thanks Georgia I love it too! :)
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #734  
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,270
Okay. I understand....I think...no, not really. But that's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I know, but I had to put my opinion in.

Thanks Georgia I love it too! :)
__________________
  #735  
Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 AM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, I understand that--the "beauty, magic, and charisma." I like to remember that side of her as well as the side of her that was caring and kind. There were two Dianas, in a way. I think that toward the end of her life, we were seeing more of the formerly private Diana. The more she tried to justify her behaviour, the worse she looked. Had she kept quiet about her personal life, her public persona wouldn't have been so damaged.
I just think the 1986-1996 Diana, Princess of Wales was getting mentally sick and her reckless actions in her personal life portray that to me. But she did have her beauty, magic and charisma in public. SHE WAS HUMAN AND ALL HUMANS HAVE SOME FAULTS. I think if she would have lives we would have seen a great friendship between Diana and the BRF. She was coming to maturity at 36. So I still think Diana's good out weigh the bad and my opinion will never change about how good Diana, Princess of Wales was and would have come to be if she lived.
__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
  #736  
Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,270
Yes, I quite agree. Had she survived that accident, I think that it might have been a life-changing experience for her. Close brushes with death often do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I just think the 1986-1996 Diana, Princess of Wales was getting mentally sick and her reckless actions in her personal life portray that to me. But she did have her beauty, magic and charisma in public. SHE WAS HUMAN AND ALL HUMANS HAVE SOME FAULTS.
__________________
  #737  
Old 11-15-2008, 07:33 AM
princessistanbul's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 24
I think Panorama interview, because William and Herry...
__________________
  #738  
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
di-fan72's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 188
However my main royal interest is Diana (i have a huge collection on her) my opinion on her changed actually the last year. I started to look at images from her in video's and i noticed that many many times she looks bored and like she was making fun of everybody and also the way she looked in the camera sometimes was so strange.
I also noticed that many times she did not react on kind gestures from charles even turned the other side. Most pics we see from her is with a smiling face but that is just the nicest pic take out but as far as i concern the attitude of diana was not grown up many times.

Maybe i am wrong and i hope so but i have the feeling that she was a kind of nagging woman. neverthelles she was a beautiful woman and worked very hard, that is for sure.

Di-fan
__________________
  #739  
Old 12-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Stardrift's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oxford, United States
Posts: 5
That was my perception too... that she was finally entering a phase of her life where she was content and more in control. The timing of her death was so sad in this respect; I think there was much untapped potential there. It seemed like her demons were finally dissipating. Who knows the woman she would've evolved into with a healthier maturity and a better sense of self-worth? The most unwise things she did seem to have been products of someone who felt out of control.

As it was, she didn't have the chance to live her mistakes down as Charles apparently has... or as most of us hope to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I just think the 1986-1996 Diana, Princess of Wales was getting mentally sick and her reckless actions in her personal life portray that to me. But she did have her beauty, magic and charisma in public. SHE WAS HUMAN AND ALL HUMANS HAVE SOME FAULTS. I think if she would have lives we would have seen a great friendship between Diana and the BRF. She was coming to maturity at 36. So I still think Diana's good out weigh the bad and my opinion will never change about how good Diana, Princess of Wales was and would have come to be if she lived.
__________________
  #740  
Old 12-14-2008, 01:49 PM
georgiea's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
That was my perception too... that she was finally entering a phase of her life where she was content and more in control. The timing of her death was so sad in this respect; I think there was much untapped potential there. It seemed like her demons were finally dissipating. Who knows the woman she would've evolved into with a healthier maturity and a better sense of self-worth? The most unwise things she did seem to have been products of someone who felt out of control.

As it was, she didn't have the chance to live her mistakes down as Charles apparently has... or as most of us hope to.
Stardrift so right. Nice that you have join the TRF.
__________________

__________________
Watch your actions, for they become your habits. Watch your habits because they become your character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
Closed Thread

Tags
andrew morton, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, james hewitt, jonathan dimbleby, oliver hoare, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, squidgygate


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Change of the Act of Succession - 1979 Constitution Change GrandDuchess Royal House of Sweden 276 06-30-2014 12:52 AM
What would you change? Lena Royal Chit Chat 20 06-23-2010 06:31 PM
Change of name of our community to TRF... Andy R Forum Announcements and Admin 2 08-29-2004 04:29 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion germany grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit ottoman pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding william



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]