When did your opinion of Diana change and why?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?

• Morton book (1990)

Votes: 25 9.8%
  • War of the Waleses (starting 1990)

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Squidgygate (1992)

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Hewitt affair (1993)

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • Charles' interview (1994)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Panorama interview (1995)

Votes: 43 16.9%
  • Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994)

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • Dodi al-Fayed (1997)

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 96 37.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it was nice of him to accompany her body back to England. It proves he must have cared for regardless of everything that occured while and after they were married.

Has he ever visted her grave? And what was his opinion of her after her death does he speak of her?

I do believe he cared for her a lot if not actually falling in love with her. We'll never know. At the time of engagemet I think Charles really didn't have a clue what love is.

There's a good article to read here on Royal Deaths but actually.. and this is MY opinion only.. there's no reason for Charles to visit the gravesite. In fact there is a thread about it. We hold in our hearts.

To my knowledge Charles has never spoken of Diana since her death in public.

Really...whats the point? What's past is past. She is no longer here and he is remarried. Life is for the living.

Most likely he speaks of her with their sons in private.

Charles did speak about Diana publicly a few times. I remember it was around December of 97 I think during the signing of the Ottawa Treaty.

It was a slow development......

.....I was entranced with her photogenic appeal, like so many, but I never followed her closely. She was just one among many 'names' in the celebrity news section, etc.

The first moment of 'distaste' was watching her on the ski slope photo op with Charles and Andrew and Fergie. I saw the video of Fergie's and Diana's behavior and I was repelled. There was something 'arrogant' about what they were doing - wasting my time - all our time.

Then the 'telling' - especially the name calling - calling Camilla 'the rotweiler' - at once I snapped to attention. This was not a nice person. This was a very not nice person. Even a cruel person. Then the vilifying of Camilla in the press - with Diana leading the hunt. I say now Diana's statement that she disliked blood sports is 'disingenuous' by the 'baying of the hounds' and the attempt to 'draw blood' from Camilla as she led the 'fray' against that poor lady! Nasty.

Then it was something subtle - when I saw her failure to walk side-by-side with Charles, defer to him as the man she owed her role to, when I saw the one-upping. Again, vague unease - I saw something unkind when I saw the press start to 'hunt' Charles, her husband, and she 'feed' that unkindness. Basically it was the experience of the press going nasty against Charles - and then Camilla - all fomented by Diana. Lost all interest in Diana - recoiled at her photo ops, her dramas. I started to see manipulation - and a heartlessness regarding people she knew, members of her family, etc.

Final straw was watching the outpouring of grief at her death - I had an overwhelming sense of distaste and watched none of the funeral, etc. The hatred Diana had seeded against the Royal Family and particularly against Charles (and by extension Camilla) - seeing that hatred explode in her mourners - was appalling to me. Her death - tragic but very much due to her own choices - precipitated such hatred in her followers that it said a lot (to me) about who she really was as a person, and the baseness she had intentionally appealed to in people, no matter the rhetoric. It was at this juncture that I began to recognize that she was incorrectly looked upon by some as a 'role model' - and felt something very wrong had been 'pulled'.

For a long time I thought I was the only one who saw Diana as the dysfunctional creature I saw (because I am not British and I don't discuss Royalty with friends, etc) - until I saw the film 'The Queen' and saw in that film the recognition that there was something aberrant about the grief. It was with that film that I began to formulate my 'distaste' into clearer ideas about what I was seeing with the Diana phenomenon.

So here I am and glad to be here to talk through this odd fascination in the world with this person who was so clearly 'not right'.

The on-going vilification of Camilla was the nail in the coffin for me - Diana's legacy has been one of hate in so many ways, and I really feel for those she set out to damage, particularly Camilla.

Last edited:
It was a slow process for me as well. I never truly came to dislike Diana, but I did pity her.
She seemed so miserable, all the time.
Then I began to think she was one of those individuals who are not capable of happiness.
And after the divorce, I got the sense she was spiralling down, into a tawdry celebrity lifestyle.

Why my feelings changed: I gradually began to realize that she was constantly alienating people. It seemed as though I was always hearing that she'd had a falling-out with this person or that person...in her position, some of that is inevitable, but it was an ongoing thing, with everyone.

It caused me to understand that the problem was with Diana, not Charles or any other person.

Agreed. I think that an exception is with her charity work, especially the landmine issue. Lord Deedes, who was no admirer of Diana, accompanied her on at least one of her trips and said that when she was involved with a cause, she became an entirely different person. In those situations, she came out of herself and became truly involved with the people affected and the cause.

But when she was "off duty", she did seem to be spiralling downward. Although her death was a shock to everyone, and I was saddened by it, it was the kind of tragic death that seems to happen to beautiful, famous, celebrated people. And at the same time it was a death that many people could identify with, because so many families suffer bereavement at the hands of a drunk driver.

And after the divorce, I got the sense she was spiralling down, into a tawdry celebrity lifestyle.

My opinion of her really never changed. I've always seen her as very insecure but also loving person. I think the things she is reviled for on this forum came from her self-loathing.

If she had been more secure about herself and her body, if her marriage had been more stable and loving, I believe she wouldn't have been so attention-seeking and manipulative.

I also think Diana's personality was shaped by how young she was when she thrust on the world stage. She was 19 when she married Charles. She hadn't had time to discover her own identity. (I'm 27 and I've changed quite a bit in the last 8 years--college and independent living really opened my eyes.)

I also can't say I'm disappointed that she courted the press where charities are concerned. Although it apparently isn't something a royal is supposed to do, I think she may have forced the common person to pay attention to issues and causes (or even donate to them) that they otherwise might not have. I think it's an example of her using her celebrity in a positive way.

I do think she made many bad judgments throughout her life (Dodi, the affairs, etc) but I feel they were counter-balanced by other things (her parenting, her charity work, etc).

I agree well said Cordelia.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
CordeliaFitzgerald you have express eloquently the Diana, Princess of Wales that I remember and love. Thank you.:flowers:

Thanks. :D

I think Princess Diana is a lot like Princess Grace. Princess Grace was insecure, did have body issues (menopause specifically although she had a lifelong obsession with being model thin), did have less-than-platonic friendships with men while married, did have affairs with married men before she was married, sold her children to the spotlight (NO biographer I've read has praised PG or PR for their parenting skills), and it wasn't until she was in her late 40s-early 50s that she began to reassert her independent ways and live a life separately from PR and the expectations of what a Princess is suppposed to be/do.

The difference is nobody knew until after Princess Grace died just what type of person she truly was (partly because she convinced her biographers to cover for her). Yet, she is still praised as example of how a Princess should Be. She's one of my favorite royals, but I don't think she is getting slammed for her flaws the way Diana is. In fact, Grace seems to get the worship treatment most of the time. However, I firmly believe as time passes on, Diana's reputation will be redeemed. (Grace's never really fell, but lots of fans were shocked when the first uncensored biographies about her started coming out simply because she perfected the "Lady" act.)

I also think Diana and Grace are the same in that they were assertive, but tended to be doormat, mousy types so any type of assertion shocked people as unconventional and unladylike. (Something I keep hearing in my personal life: nice people aren't supposed to be opinionated.) Grace grew up in a time period where women were trained on how to be prim and proper, Diana didn't--but both woman had to fight to have their opinions count and be taken seriously. (Both used the same venue too: the press.) I think Diana gets mocked for it because she didn't have the social skills that Princess Grace had to make controversial comments seem not controversial.

(Yes, I really did just compare Princess Diana to Princess Grace.)

Nice to see you here, Cordelia! :-D

I loved your comments CordeliaFitzgerald. You have eloquent arguments.
I have the same opnion that you.

I think Princess Diana is a lot like Princess Grace.

Yes, in some ways, especially as actress in their princess role, how they both were blond and beautiful and died in car accidents. But for me the differences then start.

However, I firmly believe as time passes on, Diana's reputation will be redeemed. (Grace's never really fell, but lots of fans were shocked when the first uncensored biographies about her started coming out simply because she perfected the "Lady" act.)

Yes, CordeliaFitzgerald. Princess Diana's reputation will be redeemed (Diana fans give her slack) in the history books. The legacy will be her helping to modernize the BRF though her children.:flowers:

My opinion of her changed when I read she said Charles was not fit to be king. She was really rocking the royal family - could have even destroy her oldest son heritage - when trying to get back at Charles for all the pain she thought he had caused her.

But I knew that she was in too much pain to even realize that (had she known that she would have stopped because her love for her boys was total and genuine). Yes Charles hurt her but she was already in pain and need when they met in my opinion.

Princess Diana's reputation will be redeemed (Diana fans give her slack) in the history books.

You don't have to be a fan of somebody to be capable of writing a biography of that person that captures said person in a complex, multi-faceted way. Diana wasn't a saint, but she wasn't a sinner either so I don't get why this forum seems have such extremist white/black attitudes about her. And while many historians do have their biases, the best are considered the best because they are fair-minded and judicial NOT because they are a "fan" of the people they write about. (Historians with an agenda--the ones who are either all worship or all loathing about the person they are writing about--are the worst, most unreliable types anyway.)

It is difficult for me to explain it in english, and it is personal, probably not comprehensible, certainly not well-balanced but I'll try it anyway.

When Diana died, I was so shocked. I've followed her life closely through the media and could easily identify with her, since she was only a year older than me, I was easy to impress and really believed in the fairy tail. - In a way, she was like the older sister I never had. She went through life like I did, only in front of me, marriage, children, problems, whatever. I fully expected "us" to go on like that, me seing how she managed her life and taking what seemed useful for me.

I grew up in a bit and with it came a slow change over the years. While initially I was totally believing in whatever the media was feeding me, at some point, I found it more and more difficult to believe in the stories Diana told.

Why did she have to call Camilla a "Rottweiler"? With giving Camilla that nickname and selling it to the press like she did, Dianas own beauty became instrumental, without her striking appearance there was not much left but a bitter, manipulating person. She lost Charles, even with all her beauty, so it was useless with him, but she couldn't stop using it as a weapon against him. He was married to a young and beautiful woman, and yet he wanted an older, far less attractive woman. There is only one logical reason for that, Diana must have been unbearable. But in her anger, she never realized that she was implying so much.

We have only Dianas word that Camilla was the reason that "the marriage was quite crowded", Charles couldn't counter that with "but she cheated on me first", because of his position and more important, because he wouldn't do that to his sons, something she was not taking into consideration, otherwise the whole "Charls is not fit to be kind" would have never happened. She went so far as to have intimate details of her marriage published in the book from Morton.

She was a good mother to her small boys, but when was she ever with the boys after the divorce? I saw her travelling, having affairs (imho she had lousy taste in men, probably because of her incecuirites) and using the press for her own interests, uncaring about the effects her actions were having on her children.

Today, I mostly see Diana as a tragic figure, victim and offender, humanitarian and self centered child. The one thing I cannot get over is the fact that she did not use the seatbelt in Paris. What a tragedy - only because she was stupid, stupid, stupid.

That said: even today, I ask myself how she would have dealt with the joys of menopause :). And I miss her, just like the sister I never had.

I understand you completely, Janet; and I think that I can identify with your "sister" comment. I didn't see Diana as a sister-figure; but I'm the same age as you, and I saw her early on as someone who could be a role-model for me. Of course, that all changed when the stories began to emerge about infidelity and her being difficult to get along with.

It is difficult for me to explain it in english, and it is personal, probably not comprehensible, certainly not well-balanced but I'll try it anyway.

Today, I mostly see Diana as a tragic figure, victim and offender, humanitarian and self centered child.

You don't have to be a fan of somebody to be capable of writing a biography of that person that captures said person in a complex, multi-faceted way. Diana wasn't a saint, but she wasn't a sinner either so I don't get why this forum seems have such extremist white/black attitudes about her. And while many historians do have their biases, the best are considered the best because they are fair-minded and judicial NOT because they are a "fan" of the people they write about. (Historians with an agenda--the ones who are either all worship or all loathing about the person they are writing about--are the worst, most unreliable types anyway.)

Well said, I have always believed that historians should be fair-minded myself.

I totally agree with the assessment that historians should be fair minded and impartial. Diana wasn't always the saint and Charles wasn't always the sinner. Sometimes the truth is always a bit inbetween.

Diana will always be a favorite of mine but I certainly acknolwedge her flaws.

Yes, CordeliaFitzgerald. Princess Diana's reputation will be redeemed (Diana fans give her slack) in the history books. The legacy will be her helping to modernize the BRF though her children.:flowers:

Well, I am hoping that the reign of Prince William will help stylize Diana as the modernizer of BRF. I do know history is written with a agenda sometimes and it might take a few centuries for the princess to be know as the key to modernization. But hopefully it will happen and sooner then we think.:flowers:

Last edited:
Puzzled.....

.....at the idea that Diana was a 'modernizer' of the monarchy? I hear this said many times. How did she modernize it - make it more 'current'?

From an historical point of view she will be the wife of the heir to the British throne who dies tragically in an accident, and the mother of two princes, one a future king (if events play out as expected).

Sociologically she was one of the many in the 20th century who became the focal point of intense media scrutiny and was one of the individuals so focussed on who used the media to spectacular effect with disastrous results. Diana's unique position in history will be that she is an example of this symbiosis that developed between the public, the media and an individual. Dissertations will be written on this interface, I predict - and there are many examples of it in the 20th century, acutely and painfully well documented. (Michael Jackson springs to mind).

It was only in the above sense that she 'modernized' the monarchy that I see - she turned the privacy of the monarchy inside-out and basically reduced it to tabloid scrutiny and scandal through the power of modern media. That is modern, I guess.

I would say that Catherine has more modern attributes that will impact the monarchy more in the direction of modernity - middle class, university educated, career experience (albeit limited by circumstances). Sophie, the Countess of Wessex, is also someone who brings the modern world into the monarchy - commoner, educated, career, business woman, etc. Then Charles himself with his work with the Prince's Trust - I'm not aware of any previous PoW that engaged in public works to such a formalized and wide extent. I view all of this as modernizing.

Was Diana bringing her sons into the spotlight with photo ops and 'normal' experiences like McDonald's and water parks - was that the modernizing being referred to?

I have always been under the impression that the modernizing of the monarchy began with QEII and the DoE deciding to educate Charles in 'public schools' - sending him to Cambridge, etc. From this single decision all else has followed.

A perspective.

Last edited:
Yes, and I believe that they were the first to do "walkabouts" as well. Her Majesty also did away with debutantes being presented at court.

I have always been under the impression that the modernizing of the monarchy began with QEII and the DoE deciding to educate Charles in 'public schools' - sending him to Cambridge, etc. From this single decision all else has followed.

A perspective.

Last edited:
.....at the idea that Diana was a 'modernizer' of the monarchy? I hear this said many times. How did she modernize it - make it more 'current'?...I would say that Catherine has more modern attributes that will impact the monarchy more in the direction of modernity - middle class, university educated, career experience (albeit limited by circumstances). Sophie, the Countess of Wessex, is also someone who brings the modern world into the monarchy - commoner, educated, career, business woman, etc. Then Charles himself with his work with the Prince's Trust - I'm not aware of any previous PoW that engaged in public works to such a formalized and wide extent. I view all of this as modernizing.

I think people say Diana "modernized" the royal family as a blanket word for bringing more attention, youth, new people (herself and her sons) to the family. She was considered "modern" for appearing outwardly more emotional than the Queen for instance, taking her young children on royal trips with her when before that the royal children were left at home with a nanny. (Later Sarah was criticized for following the Queen's example rather than Diana's.) It is perhaps not the best word but seems the handy one to most when describing Diana's impact.

As for Kate/Catherine she did go to school, but I only see that her accomplishments on her own merit (Not future royal duties) are next to nil. A university degree mostly unused is a waste. Considering her parents business she would have been better served to study as a pastry chef and I am not being sarcastic.
In reality nobody who is in the royal family is truly "modern", the past is woven into their life. To me modern in the best sense would be no skanky photos, or behavior, real love, and truly working hard but smart.

My vote for when my opinion of Diana changed was "other".

I never really liked her that much, not that she was heinous, or ugly, but I thought she had went from being innocent and naive to competing with Charles, being an attention seeker. Then she hated the same attention from the press she courted heavily before to cover her. In my mind the press could be more respectful but you can't have it both ways: notice me, notice me, notice me... now get lost!

My feeling changed that August. I was quite young watching a movie on tv when they showed a news update stating she and her boyfriend had been in a car accident but they made it sound like a fender bender. Next they updated to say her arm was broken. Then it was that she had a broken arm and was unconscious but Dodi had passed away which was surprising enough. Then after what seemed like a couple of hours (probably while letting her family know, etc.) they came out and announced Diana had also died. It was so shocking I think I was stunned. It was not that I adored her, but she had been such a well known figure that it didn't occur to me she'd be dead at such a young age so it was greatly surprising.

I found a lot of the funeral distasteful, clapping at a funeral seems extremely odd to me, the hokey Elton John song update, etc. but after that my annoyances at Diana's overpraise softened. She may have not been the best person, but I never would have wished her dead. Perhaps she would have continued on healing things between her and Charles, matured into a more truly admirable person, etc. If only she hadn't stayed in Paris instead of joining her sons at Balmoral, or not gotten into the car, or at least wore a seatbelt, everything might be different for the better.

Now I'm left with a feeling of I don't dislike her as much anymore, I can see some of the good things she did and how in royal history she will have a big, romantic, tragic chapter that will dwarf all the other women as it stands (besides the Queen). I am also left with thinking the Queen herself was changed by her passing as is shown quite well in the movie "The Queen". If that has made her more understanding, gentler on the family, etc. I think it may be a good change, as I like the Queen.

I always found Diana to be modern especially with the charities she supported like HIV/AIDS which is still infecting people today. I also believed she modernized the monarchy through her children. The Princess did say she wanted to show them the world beyond the palace gates. So she took them all over london to the movies, stores, restauraunts hospices and homeles shelters. Yes sometimes some of these outings she alerted the press, but still Will and Harry saw their subjects in person and hopefully they have a better understanding of them. She may not have made ground breaking changes but she made some steps towards modernity.

My favorite story I've read about her was in Paul Burrell's first book and he wrote that Diana many nights would drive around London visiting hospices, and patients she befriended. She also befriended these two prostitutes who were working to support their children. She gave them money so that the two women could have coats to keep them warm. She was modern in her own way imo.

I have always been under the impression that the modernizing of the monarchy began with QEII and the DoE deciding to educate Charles in 'public schools' - sending him to Cambridge, etc. From this single decision all else has followed. A perspective.

I don't think getting a education away from home modernized the BRF. Princess Diana changing her sons diapers and Prince Charles being around with his infants shows more modernization. The way Diana, Princess of Wales raised her boys with real world experiences seeing their subjects will in my opinion impact the reign of Prince William. When you see the prince's at their charity event you see them holding or touching their subjects. Just like their dear mother, Diana did.

Princess Diana by publishing a book in 1992 (that she said she had no part in-unfortunately she did ) did not really know that she started the modernization of BRF. I think the pity she got from the book revelations and her Aids/Landmine/Leprosy/Abuse/Drug/Abuse charities and campaigns, turn from intense interest, awe and then love by many people around the world. It was the first time a common person could see a royal going through life with problems like they do. When Diana was at her most stressed out and probably mentally sick during her panorama interview and said she would not be Queen but would like to be called the People's Princess again the pity and love from people was what she got.

I don't know what other Diana, Princess of Wales fan are like but that is the way I felt. My perspective she became someone I knew and felt for.
She let me look in and the mystery of royalty for me changed or modernized. Royals are just people with a job to guide their subjects to the good in life.:flowers:

Last edited:
Diana married in the same year that I did, but I was 3 years older than she. Still, I wondered about her marrying such a stodgy-seeming older man, for Prince Charles certainly seemed older than other men his age. Compared to young American women I knew, Diana seemed beyond naive, clueless, really. She had a sort of babyish quality and seemed the sort of girl who liked children, fashion and giggling. So it was surprising that after years of speculation about who Charles would marry, there was suddenly Diana. She was subjected to such scrutiny, from the RF and from others, I wondered how anyone could ever tolerate that.

Over the years, we all found out that she didn't tolerate it well. Like so many women in my age group, she was suffering inside an unhappy marriage, but also struggling with internalized notions about how women should appear, especially public women. I can remember being approached by faculty at my university to ask why I was (suddenly) wearing make-up (I stopped), and the same faculty told me to tell one of the other doctoral candidates that she was "ruining her employment chances" by having her nails done. In those years following Diana's entry into public life, it seemed that many of us felt less shy about exhibiting formerly forbidden (by feminist rhetoric of the day) fashions.

It may not make sense to some of you who are younger.

Ultimately, I did not evolve a sense of personal style or an interest in make-up and hair until my mid-thirties (and I still prefer my hair to look natural rather than tinted or dyed or flat-ironed; I have a simple make-up routine without which I rarely leave home except for the grocery store). I was at the gym yesterday and the entire conversation I had with two twenty-something women was how much they disliked their appearance, how they had chosen this gym for its relative isolation (me too, but not because I'm afraid to be seen, I'm over that).

But it seemed Diana had to confront that Monster and become fashionable. How could she help but draw attention? I too can play the piano. Given the sarcastic, often dark sense of humor exhibited by some Royals, I would find it very difficult not to have a good time showing up their cello playing (I mean, seriously! If a person can do something well - they are not to do it, because their husband is a prince? What a terrible life!)

My first husband was a physician, and as time went on, he decided to use that position to limit and control my behavior (and that of his daughters) while doing nothing to change his own (some people liked and still like his bedside manner; others decidedly do not). But, I was not about to change my being in order to suit his new notions of who I should be. Indeed, his views of how I should use my talents, when I should be silent, when I should speak up, grew more and more discordant with who I really am, and how others knew me. Ultimately, I left him.

My ex-husband was obsessed and fascinated with Princess Diana, and to some degree, with Prince Charles. He stayed up all night to watch their wedding, he truly admired her. Both of us felt the pain of her increasing psychological problems, which finally turned into bona fide psychiatric problems; we did not blame the RF for this, as mental health issues are ultimately best dealt with by the person with the illness - and their treatment team. I've always been curious as to whether Prince Charles's interpersonal skills would have allowed him to deal well with any sort of depression, eating disorder, etc. There seem to be plenty of eccentricities in his own family, but they aren't regarded as "problems" the way Diana was regarded as a problem (my opinion).

Diana blossomed into a huge celebrity at a time when television was changing, there were news magazines/gossip shows emerging, MTV had been born, there was a more immediate, real time edge to things (still terribly slow by today's standards). Today, there are hundreds of celebrities (young blondes especially) appearing daily on the television whom I can barely recognize or don't recognize at all (someone named Heidi Montag has been on my television for an hour now, I barely know who she is - but apparently others do).

Diana could not have helped but be a celebrity. In a day and age when actresses and models can catapult into celebrity overnight, an actual princess who can afford the highest fashions and is attractive in a globally-acknowledged way is going to trump a man, regardless of whether he wears suits or kilts or hunts or has causes. That was not her fault, but she certainly did not discourage it.

I became disapproving of her (in the way I'd disapprove of a sister, really) when she had so many lovers/boyfriends immediately after her divorce. The children should have had more stability, not a mom running around on yachts. I was particularly critical of her involvement with the paparazzi - she encouraged them (I've always wondered about the system of monetary feedbacks there; doesn't everyone want to know - when pictures of Diana were selling for $300,000 and up each, whether she - or the Fayeds - ever got some of that? Certainly, Andanson was on their yacht for several days right before the accident).

I'm realizing that after all these years of thinking about Diana and the royals, I still have no clue how they actually remain so wealthy. Even Donald Trump had a bankruptcy, and we can see how he rebuilt his fortune. Do the royals own lots and lots of stock? Diana's divorce settlement doesn't seem that grand for the longterm - she obviously had moved into, well, I hate to use the term "golddigging" mode, but she was not going to be marrying merely for love, right?

She would have been happier (and still alive) had she developed a capacity for non-public relationships, and for a different kind of intimacy. It makes me terribly sad, still, that she didn't get a chance to do that (perhaps she would have, had she had more time as a divorcée.

... all these years of thinking about Diana and the royals, I still have no clue how they actually remain so wealthy.
The Queen's private income comes from the Duchy of Lancaster. For the financial year ending March 2010 the Duchy's surplus was £13.2m (US$21.2m) source

The Prince of Wales receives income from the Duchy of Cornwall. For the financial year 2009/2010 this amounted to £17.2m (US$27.7m) source

Further (unknown) income would come from private investments. Some members of the Royal Family also have significant trust funds.

from the announcement of the engagement, I thought the marriage of Charles and Diana headed for disaster
-- their body chemistry was not good
-- I do think the age gap was a great issue -- perhaps more because Charles had been to university and was more educated; also that he had been out & about in the world
-- also, I did not like the 'shy Di' stuff -- looking through her eyelids; she struck me as a very young, unhappy woman (I am two years younger than Diana); so yes, I was never a big admirer of Diana but I never hated her or wished her ill

so, sadly I wasn't suprised when their relationship soured; however, I was shocked at how it happened ... how public it was

what I found upsetting about the situation was the public aspect
I know the media was obsessed with Diana & I believe that she used/manipulated the media too

neither Charles nor Diana displayed consideration for their sons or for the Queen (a woman I admire greatly)
the books, articles, interviews -- neither of them cared what they said just as long as their story was stated
I found it all very unpleasant & I have never watched the interviews nor read the books

but the one thing that really got to me ... that firmly turned me against Diana was her public discussion of Charles' behaviour as a father
to me, that is unforgiveable
especially upsetting was her revelations about Charles' supposed disappointment at Harry's birth
if the story is true, it should never have been made public
if the story is not true, it is a horrible lie

so while I was never an admirer of Diana, those stories about Charles and sons firmly turned me against her
IMHO, any parent who tries to use their children against the other parent is beyond the pale
(I have never married nor do I have children)

I think Diana had some emotional issues that needed to be professionally and thoroughly dealt with -- I think she never got the help she truly needed to be an emotionally healthy woman & that is sad

I am sorry she died at such a young age & I am sorry for her sons, losing their mother at their young ages ... it is tragic
I found the public response distasteful

I do not excuse Charles his on-going relationship with Camilla -- he was wrong & should have ended things with Diana earlier

the whole situation was a mess & Charles & Diana both behaved as self-absorbed jerks

With age should come wisdom

I've been away from this site for almost four years now and I am so glad to be back. My life had got in the way of things that weren't as important such as becoming a mother, which I had no idea would ever happen to me as I really don't like children LOL Thankfully I've learned how to balance all that and I'm so glad to be back posting with you all especially now the speculation has been put to rest and we can officially toast the beautiful Duke and Duchess of Cambridge!

Now on to topic:

I was not yet born when Charles and Diana married, but when the 90s rolled around my Anglophilia began to rear its pretty head and I was very much interested with what was going on. She died when I was thirteen and I'll never forget that day. At the time she was heavily favored in American media over the likes of Charles, and the British people I found (from British relatives) were divided between royal loyalists and those who just tolerated the ancient monarch. This really gave me room to make up my own mind about Diana with all the different views on her.

I have always been and always will be "Team Diana" simply for the fact that she showed that she was human and capable of flaws but she was also capable of many great things. I think like may women who came before her was a bit of a pawn and she didn't quite know what she was getting into. Now, I am 27 this 5th of May and I've experienced much more in the world and my opinion in how Diana dealt with her situation does not sit well with me.

Perhaps it's comparing apples to oranges, but I feel that in the situation she was dealing with a person to look up to iwould have been Queen Katherine of Argon (may she always rest in peace). Here was a woman whose only crime was that she could not produce a male heir to the throne for King Henry VIII and her faith, integrity, morality and her love for the king was being questioned by her own husband and all of the advantage seeking toads around her. Through it all-though she was not without flaws especially when it came to dealing with Mary-she remained noble, gracious, and loving both publicly and privately toward the king, even as she had to stare at Anne Boleyn on a regular basis. She let the king hang himself by his own actions. She didn't air their dirty laundry in the open. Her persona of simply being the devoted wife whilst getting the shaft made her so much more popular and loved.

Herein lies where my opinion of Diana changed: Her misleading/misuse of the press to air our her and the prince's dirty laundry for revenge or simply because she felt justified, was simply wrong. She was still a royal and I'm not saying stay in a loveless marriage, but for the sake of her children and for the betterment of the monarchy, she could have chosen a different path. I've come to the realisation that Prince Charles had loved Camilla before Diana and there was no reason for them not to really have been married other than some silly thing between Queen Elizabeth and Mountbatten. Diana, Charles, and Camilla all suffered. Charles was wrong to cheat, but Diana could have handled the situation better as well and then everyone could have come out somewhat satisfied. She did not set a very good example for Harry and Wills on how to handle these types of situations. By remaining silent, stoic, and discreet all of Charles' wrong doing would have come to past on its own and she would not have had to suffer her reputation or integrity for it.

And, it could have very well saved her life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom