The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?
Morton book (1990) 25 9.80%
War of the Waleses (starting 1990) 20 7.84%
Squidgygate (1992) 12 4.71%
Hewitt affair (1993) 17 6.67%
Charles' interview (1994) 5 1.96%
Panorama interview (1995) 43 16.86%
Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994) 14 5.49%
Dodi al-Fayed (1997) 23 9.02%
Other (please explain) 96 37.65%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 PM

No. Whether Betty likes you or not, she can't exile you. You can be extradited but thats something altogether different.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
No. Whether Betty likes you or not, she can't exile you. You can be extradited but thats something altogether different.
But they can make you feel unwelcome or unwanted back in the country... (the Duke and Duchess of Windsor come to mind!) (not to make fun of anyone's situation here)

Old 01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhontella View Post
No internet link, but I did give you a reference to the hard copy.
There is absolutely nothing listed on the Mirror archive site, nor do I remember anything in the Sunday Mirror earlies that Sunday that tie in. Perhaps you can scan the copy you have.
Quote:
No doubt the MI6 follows all sorts of different rules.
MI6 reports directly to the cabinet/prime minister, they are their masters.
Quote:
The British Press had been making fun of Diana for many years. They were just starting to come around to seeing her more as a great humanitarian -- she was on her way to becoming the next Mother Teresa of Calcutta, no I mean of the Middle East somewhere.
The UK press here had only just started to make fun of her, mainly for the amount of holidays she had taken and this in the Observer newspapers satirical column entitled MRS. BLAIRS DIARY: - "It always amazes me that the press picks up on [what Diana says] as if it were compelling genius insight of Aristotelian wisdom and Shavian wit, as opposed to the twitterings of a woman who, if her IQ were five points lower, would have to be watered daily." Under the headline IF HER IQ WERE ANY LOWER, SHED NEED DAILY WATERING.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
You can be banned though can't you? But that is a government 'thing'.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:46 PM

I don't think so. If you've done something THAT bad then you're in prison.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I don't think so. If you've done something THAT bad then you're in prison.
Ahhhh.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I never knew this article came out. Well maybe Mr. al Fayed is right all these years about his conspiracy theories of the accident. I am glad he is getting this inquest.
Since the Sunday Mirror is one of the tabloid papers, unless this article was sourced to an authoritative named individual, I don't know that it's necessary to take it all that seriously. Some of these papers have printed the most preposterous nonsense sourced to "a close friend of the royal family" or "sources close to the royal family" and none of us know if it's gospel truth or a tissue of lies.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
As the Duke of Windsor found, if a financial settlement can be made formally or informally contingent on staying out of the country, the Queen can effectively banish someone who depends on that financial settlement from the royal family.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The British Press had been making fun of Diana for many years. They were just starting to come around to seeing her more as a great humanitarian -- she was on her way to becoming the next Mother Teresa of Calcutta, no I mean of the Middle East somewhere.
Diana as the next Mother Teresa or a great humanitarian? I'm not so sure about that comparison although, in an interview she gave she did say that she had always felt that she was "destined for greatness" but I think to her that meant being Queen (and like others, while I found the tricycle story amusing I'm not sure it is true).

But, I will say this--I do like how the boys followed her lead (regarding land mines) and chose to do some serious work during their gap year (unlike their cousin Princess Bea).

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Diana as the next Mother Teresa or a great humanitarian? I'm not so sure about that comparison although, in an interview she gave she did say that she had always felt that she was "destined for greatness" but I think to her that meant being Queen (and like others, while I found the tricycle story amusing I'm not sure it is true).

But, I will say this--I do like how the boys followed her lead (regarding land mines) and chose to do some serious work during their gap year (unlike their cousin Princess Bea).
Yeah but the boys decided to do serious work in their gap year and bugger all following it.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Aristocracy

I would like to inquire about Prince Andrew's two daughters. When I go on the official Monarchy website, it says under his portion that his daughters do NOT undertake official duties?

Are they compensated with taxpayer money in some way, some verifiable way?

If not, WHAT BUSINESS is it of anyone, anywhere what those two young ladies do or do not do at any point in time?

Are the people of the UK under the impression that the entire Royal Family is their servant?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Other as well.

I thought Diana was genuine in the beginning but by the panarama interview, i thought it was a giant act. Too much eye battering and looking to the side. Too rehearst. But I saw where she was coming from - revenge and yes bad marriage can happen to everyone.
A few years later and I was helping out with the media. We expected a lot of foreign media for the visit of Diana - we possibly got much more which is why I was drafted in.
A lot of the media had actually been personally invited by Diana herself, who promised them exclusive pics and such. The whole event was a whole organisation mess
Diana was adament to poses with as many children at the hospital as possible, for the benefit of the hospital she explained. They didn't understand who she was and why she was there. She simply came in posed with the kids and some of the adults, later meet with some of the support staff and left. I was told later that she was unhappy with some of the kids as they didn't look ill enough for the pic. A lot of things just seemed wrong. One of them was that in the middle of the visit she left so that her stylist could redo her hair so that is could look good for the photos. Most of the visit was private, instead Diana allowed the press in without the permission of the press. She also told the press that she was visiting AIDS orphans and people affected by AIDS. Which caused a problem as a politician's wife had been in there for heart problems and the South African tabloids ran with stories about both of them having AIDS.
The people at the hospital felt terribly used. They had hoped that Diana's visit would encourage foreign countries and investors to donate equipment to the hospital, instead it had became Diana's three ringed PR circus. She got her front page, the press got their headlines - the hospital is still waiting for their money.

I don't understand was this a person experience of yours or did this come from the media? I don't remember reading anything about this event.

Anyways my opinion of Diana has never really changed, I mean yes she had her problems she made her mistakes and I think alot of that she probably later regret, but we're all human and so was she, so I've always thought of her as a lovely woman who obviously as all of us made mistakes in her life.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondBrg View Post
I would like to inquire about Prince Andrew's two daughters. When I go on the official Monarchy website, it says under his portion that his daughters do NOT undertake official duties?

Are they compensated with taxpayer money in some way, some verifiable way?

If not, WHAT BUSINESS is it of anyone, anywhere what those two young ladies do or do not do at any point in time?

Are the people of the UK under the impression that the entire Royal Family is their servant?
Yes. Because to put it bluntly - they are. Beatrice and Eugenie live the life they do because of our money and therefore, if they won't do official duties then they have to get a real job - neither of them have a real job. If however, they take up Royal duties soon and earn their keep, then the criticism won't go away but they could earn themselves a Princess Anne like reputation which goes down well with we serfs.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Could we please keep this thread on topic? Feel free to ask and answer questions about the York princesses in this forum:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f113/
Old 01-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
so I've always thought of her as a lovely woman who obviously as all of us made mistakes in her life.
That's what annoys me so - she was beautiful or at least fotogenic and thus she could behave as she wanted while finding followers. And she knew this and she used it to her advantage.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
......... in the Observer newspapers satirical column entitled MRS. BLAIRS DIARY: - "It always amazes me that the press picks up on [what Diana says] as if it were compelling genius insight of Aristotelian wisdom and Shavian wit, as opposed to the twitterings of a woman who, if her IQ were five points lower, would have to be watered daily." Under the headline IF HER IQ WERE ANY LOWER, SHED NEED DAILY WATERING.
I knew there was something I liked about Cherie.

By the time of the wedding if I had read one more article about her background, of the terrible travails caused by her parent's divorce I would have screamed. OK, I did scream. A very large percentage of children experience the same pain but their parents don't have the wherewithal to cushion the blows. Her standard of living and schooling were totally unaffected. A large percentage of children find their entire lifestyle gone. It still doesn't turn them all into terminal victims.

No really. My opinion was pretty set by the time she bailed out of the "coach" with her merangue all squished, looking like a fairy in deparate need of of tree! The dress said it all. I've made it, I've made it! Then, with a "Shy Di" nod (soon to be known as the 'Diana High Five') to the press, hied up the Cathederal steps to nail her title.

Nothing in her behavior after that impressed me greatly. She was a fabulous clothes horse and did wonders (initially) for the British Fashion Industry and nailed the tabloids! Di Mania was born.

To be honest, there were just too many things not to like about Diana. But to me her worst "crimes" were against her children. With them her hypocracy knew no bounds.

Her all-consuming passion with herself was nauseating. Engagement photo's in the country. House parties. Polo matches. etc. But very soon after her marriage suddenly she didn't like the country. She didn't like hunting, She didn't like polo. So it was of course entirely natural that her boys not get to spend much time in th countyside, be allowed to hunt or play polo (after all.....she might have had to go and watch).

Her overt courting of the media, her expose (Morton's potboiler), her constant need to be photographed with William and Harry doing "normal childhood" type things, which were very normal if you don't count the army of photographers etc. there to catch the staged moment. Just so we would know that she was the "good" parent, and by implication, Charles was the "bad".

Much ado about William going the Eton (normal?) school, followed closely by her wonderful interview, and there was poor William out on his own with photos of he and his mother supposedly telling him about the coming interview. For any non-royal, loved and cared for child separation is hard.......that sort of public humiliation on top of it must have been excrutiating.

As you may have guessed, I loathe people that use their children as weapons.

Actually, I think my opinion did change. From considering her to be a fairly innocuous, far-away Queen-In-Waiting, to an emotional vampire whose potential for harm was legend. It was like watching a train wreck.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Royal Highness

Nicely said, MARG! I had found it hyprocritical that Diana in the engagement photos just loved being outdoors, etc.... and then, all of a sudden, she hated the country; that and other things just makes one say, "talk about misrepresenting yourself!"

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Nicely said, MARG!
I disagree. It was a lot of vague generalities with nothing specific to back up anything. What is an emotional vampire anyway? Isn't that a vague misogynist term used to describe those who "steal souls" in response to powerful men who shatter spirits. I read some book about that at one time, but could never quite understand the fear and hatred that motivated the author of this book.

Quote:
I had found it hyprocritical that Diana in the engagement photos just loved being outdoors, etc.... and then, all of a sudden, she hated the country; that and other things just makes one say, "talk about misrepresenting yourself!"
Maybe Diana did love the country at first, and then learned to associate with something unpleasant -- like maybe we three.......................
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I read some book about that at one time, but could never quite understand the fear and hatred that motivated the author of this book.

Maybe Diana did love the country at first, and then learned to associate with something unpleasant -- like maybe we three.......................
I don't think that fear and hatred motivates anyone on the topic of Diana--she was very complex and it is interesting how she stirs up feelings and emotions and opinions. I was on the GREMB (glilttering royal events message board) and it was the yearly gala where we all post photos of bejewelled royals and I saw some photos of her and intially my heart always goes out to her--so young, so happy, so vibrant--and lets' not forget that she was one of the first to embrace AIDS victims-that is admirable. But then I remember all the other stuff--and unfortunantly, while I still smile when I see her photo and her sense of humor, the other stuff more definitively defines her for me. I always tell children that our behavior is a choice that we make, an choices define our lives. Diana made a lot of choices that she never really learned from and thusly, for some, those choices have helped to define her life. It is complex and it is sad.

Now, the comment about the country--that could very well be dead on target. I saw a wonderful photo of Diana with her hair all big and flowing and I always wondered why she quite wearing it like that--it was very becomming after all--and it probably had something to do with Camilla having beautiful, flluffy hair as well--she was trying to distance herself from Camilla. Of course, we all know I love Camilla and think she is magnificant, but Diana was in her early 20's at this time and I can see how a little thing like that would let her determine her hairstyle--it seems silly now, but at that age and point in her life, it was a big deal--in my opinion. I may be way off target!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 PM

I voted "other" because my opinions about Diana have always been more complicated than a single reason. If Diana had been allowed to rest in peace after the beautiful thanksgiving service in August, my feelings now would be entirely different. But now we are into another year and still we have this Inquest to look forward to.

I don't know how to explain my feelings about Diana or how they have changed over the years beyond what I have already said many times in other threads.

Tags
andrew morton, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, james hewitt, jonathan dimbleby, oliver hoare, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, squidgygate