The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?
Morton book (1990) 25 9.80%
War of the Waleses (starting 1990) 20 7.84%
Squidgygate (1992) 12 4.71%
Hewitt affair (1993) 17 6.67%
Charles' interview (1994) 5 1.96%
Panorama interview (1995) 43 16.86%
Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994) 14 5.49%
Dodi al-Fayed (1997) 23 9.02%
Other (please explain) 96 37.65%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I think Skydragon makes a very excellent, valid point that suggests to me that Diana was not mentally ill/unstable. If it were the case that Diana was taking sleeping pills for five years, then I think it is highly likely, especially with the amount of public engagements she had, that would have taken stimulants as well. Sometimes, those things can make you a bit loopy and a little foggy--also, taking medications daily for years does have side effects.
I read that Princess Diana for the first ten years of her life did not sleep through the night, so I don't think she took sleeping pills or stimulants. She did not drink and would not take medications the the shrinks were going to prescribe, so I really don't think she took a sleeping aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I know that we're all suggesting that perhaps Diana had a mental illness or was mentally unstable--but I just don't buy it. The only problem we know of was her eating disorder and we can look at her family and see some problems--but not her immediate family. Her sisters seem quite normal and her brother seems a lot like Diana, in my opinioin.
Princess Diana's mother in her later life was an alcoholic and her oldest sister Sarah had anorexia when she was dating Prince Charles. Plus her uncle commiting suicide, so as you can see her family had a history of mental illness. Alcoholics are very depressed individuals that can sometimes be manic depressive and eating disorders are mental illness that need a lot of counseling and I believe medication.

Because of the inquest I have been thinking a lot about Princess Diana lately. I truly believe she was never loved by Prince Charles, mentally ill, spoil and very Spencer/Femory in temperment that brought about a very unhappy life. I don't think Princess Diana was just a vindictive and spoil individual as some people think of her.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

georgia
Quote:
I don't think Princess Diana was just a vindictive and spoil individual as some people think of her
I also don't believe that the Princess was just a vindictive and spoiled individual. She was a kind, caring and giving woman.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Post partum depression makes three conditions Diana had.

She used the blue eyeliner when she first got engaged because she was still used to doing her own makeup and all the girls in the early 80s wore blue eyeliner.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I read that Princess Diana for the first ten years of her life did not sleep through the night, so I don't think she took sleeping pills or stimulants. She did not drink and would not take medications the the shrinks were going to prescribe, so I really don't think she took a sleeping aid...
Well "spoil" is too much for me. She was a quick-tempered child and she still kept this attitude in her married life and that wasn't a good thing but "spoil", I don't think so either. Her parents accepted everything for her but because they just wanted peace. If she was spoiled, then it's not her to blame. I'm not saying they were not good parents but it seems that they cared more about themselves than their kids education ; just look how they fought to have the childminder !

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 01-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Post partum depression makes three conditions Diana had.

She used the blue eyeliner when she first got engaged because she was still used to doing her own makeup and all the girls in the early 80s wore blue eyeliner.
Thanks ysbel . I agree that makeup can be significant of her mental state. Her way of dressing was rarely designed without a message or an idea to show.

Because it matters...
Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
If Princess Diana sounded cold and calculating, could it be because she rehearsed her lines? I read in various books on Diana that the questions were given to her before hand. Being all over the place in speech is not cold and calculating, but very confused individual.
I don't think she was all over the place; she seemed very calmed and very composed. The reason she seemed calculating were the lines she decided to rehearse. In response to her marriage she said coolly, Well there were three in this marriage so it was a bit crowded when she knew that wasn't the total truth but it would be memorable enough that people would forget that it wasn't the truth.

I also don't agree with the other member who said Diana was undisciplined. When she wanted something she could be incredibly disciplined. Collaborating with Bashir on the interview, writing and rehearsing and keeping it a secret from all of her closest friends over several weeks and the ability to perform her rehearsed lines all on cue speaks of an incredible discipline and determination to follow through with the interview's purpose. It is too bad that all Diana's charisma, intelligence, and self-determination were bent towards damaging the 'enemy' as she called them (the royal family) and Diana succeeded marvelously in damaging the enemy as I knew she could do if she put her mind to it. The tragedy again was what she chose to put her mind to.

That action and some others are the reason that people call Diana vindictive. She may not have been vindictive to everybody every single time but she was vindictive to enough people often enough that vindictive is a fair and just adjective to use to describe Diana.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Well "spoil" is too much for me. She was a quick-tempered child and she still kept this attitude in her married life and that wasn't a good thing but "spoil", I don't think so either. Her parents accepted everything for her but because they just wanted peace. If she was spoiled, then it's not her to blame. I'm not saying they were not good parents but it seems that they cared more about themselves than their kids education ; just look how they fought to have the childminder !
I think when Diana was a child then being spoiled would be her parents fault. But once she became an adult the she bore the responsibility of whether she wanted to continue the spoiled behavior. That goes for Charles too.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Thanks ysbel . I agree that makeup can be significant of her mental state. Her way of dressing was rarely designed without a message or an idea to show.
Well I think the message of the blue eyeliner was that Diana wanted to look like all the other 80s girls. But what I think she meant was the black eyeliner that Diana used for the Panorama interview. It looked very dramatic and made her look sadder. I think that was on purpose.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 01-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Plus her uncle commiting suicide, so as you can see her family had a history of mental illness.
Which uncle is this? Her mother's or dad's brother? I know Diana had a step-brother that committed suicide supposedly, but I never heard about any uncle.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Aristocracy

WHY do people everywhere think that they had a RIGHT to EXPECT the marriage of Charles and Diana to work out? WHY did they expect the ROMANCE OF A CENTURY out of it?

Even during the courtship phase, Charles was openly IN LOVE with Camilla and Diana was IN LOVE with being the Princess of Wales and someday QUEEN. Is there really any dispute about this?

I will never be convinced that there were not private understandings that Charles would continue to see and sleep with Camilla, that Diana would get the Royal life and status she so craved and everyone would SHUT UP and not cause a stink about it. Problem is, those agreements were not kept.

Diana produced the heir and the spare, that was her function. She was paid in excess of 17 MILLION GBP for her job performance, in the divorce and she kept the Princess of Wales title.

People's dream bubble got busted, WAHHH, time to get over it.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhontella View Post
Which uncle is this? Her mother's or dad's brother? I know Diana had a step-brother that committed suicide supposedly, but I never heard about any uncle.
Yes, but this step-brother, Adam Shand Kydd, died in 2004. So it couldn't be put as a factor of mental illness and so on. Adam Shand Kydd - Telegraph

I don't know the name of that uncle ... Maybe someone can help us there ?

Because it matters...
Old 01-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondBrg View Post
WHY do people everywhere think that they had a RIGHT to EXPECT the marriage of Charles and Diana to work out? WHY did they expect the ROMANCE OF A CENTURY out of it?
Even during the courtship phase, Charles was openly IN LOVE with Camilla and Diana was IN LOVE with being the Princess of Wales and someday QUEEN. Is there really any dispute about this?t.
(my bolding)

As I admire your frankness, aren't you a little simplistic here ? Diana had thought about being Queen one day of course but are you saying that she only married Charles for that ?! Honestly, who would at 20 years old marry only for position. I don't believe it, sorry.

Because it matters...
Old 01-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
(my bolding)

As I admire your frankness, aren't you a little simplistic here ? Diana had thought about being Queen one day of course but are you saying that she only married Charles for that ?! Honestly, who would at 20 years old marry only for position. I don't believe it, sorry.
The night before the wedding, at the Queen Mother's residence, it has been written repeatedly that she rode around all over the house on a tricycle reciting "I am going to be Queen" repeatedly. I think the thought had crossed her mind.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhontella View Post
It was her mother's brother, Lord Fermoy. The same chap who, during Diana and Charles's courtship, took it upon himself to inform the press that Diana had never had a lover.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The night before the wedding, at the Queen Mother's residence, it has been written repeatedly that she rode around all over the house on a tricycle reciting "I am going to be Queen" repeatedly. I think the thought had crossed her mind.
I don't suppose for a minute that anyone is suggesting that it hadn't crossed her mind. It's just that a teenager from a broken home, brought up on a diet of Barbara Cartland novels, is likely to have wanted personal fulfillment from a marriage as well as just status.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
I also don't agree with the other member who said Diana was undisciplined. When she wanted something she could be incredibly disciplined. Collaborating with Bashir on the interview, writing and rehearsing and keeping it a secret from all of her closest friends over several weeks and the ability to perform her rehearsed lines all on cue speaks of an incredible discipline and determination to follow through with the interview's purpose. It is too bad that all Diana's charisma, intelligence, and self-determination were bent towards damaging the 'enemy' as she called them (the royal family) and Diana succeeded marvelously in damaging the enemy as I knew she could do if she put her mind to it. The tragedy again was what she chose to put her mind to.
Diana was very disciplined with respect to her duties, too. She ran her office well and had a reputation for being far better organised and paying better attention to her correspondence, etc., than Charles.

It is indeed a shame that she did not direct her talents and energies to supporting her husband and the Monarchy - for her elder son's sake, if for no other reason.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
But if she really wanted to be Queen, why would she jepordize her future title by doing an interview and having an author write a book about her life?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
True but how do you explain bulimia and self-destruction if she seemed so selfish to you ? It takes alot to come to that and I don't think the problem started without an exterior factor.
Moreover, no one is vindictive or does such things that you describe very well by nature. Nobody is born to be this or that.
Even some psychiatrists believe that Bulimia is an attention seeking illness and apart from Diana telling us she was Bulimic, is there a medical report that confirms this? Again with the self mutilation, I don't recall Diana ever being seen with plasters or bandages on.

Everyone is capable of being a 'bad lot' and many times I believe it is nature rather than nurture. As I said, I am sure we all know people that had loving, caring family and they are complete rotters. I have also known people, as I am equally sure others have, that seem absolutely charming to everyone except their family.
Quote:
(my bolding)
Many people are capable of plotting to marry to enhance their position, many are 'guided' to do so by parent(s) and grandparents(s).
Old 01-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Diana was very disciplined with respect to her duties, too. She ran her office well and had a reputation for being far better organised and paying better attention to her correspondence, etc., than Charles.

It is indeed a shame that she did not direct her talents and energies to supporting her husband and the Monarchy - for her elder son's sake, if for no other reason.
BRAVO!! I totally agree and find it remarkable that she was more interested in a feud with Prince Charles and his parents than what would be in the best interest of her eldest son and younger son as well actually. Most mothers DO put their children first.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Gentry

I'm sorry but that tricycle story sounds ridiculous. I'm not sure I believe that's true.

Tags
andrew morton, diana princess of wales, dodi fayed, james hewitt, jonathan dimbleby, oliver hoare, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, squidgygate