What is your opinion about Charles visiting Diana's grave?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your opinion about Charles visiting Diana's grave?

• I think its good for Charles to visit Diana's grave.

Votes: 114 52.3%
  • I don't think its good for Charles to visit Diana's grave.

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • I don't care whether he visits her grave or not.

Votes: 74 33.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ysbel

Heir Apparent , TRF Author
City
New York
Country
United States
This poll question was suggested by The Royal Forums member anbrida. Thanks anbrida. :flowers:

The question is:

We don't know whether Charles has visited Diana's grave after her funeral but whether he has or not, what is your opinion about Charles visiting Diana's grave?

When you vote, please share with us your reasons for voting as you did. :)

Last edited:
I think it's entirely up to him. Personally I've never seen the point of visiting graves - my grandmother used to spend as much of her spare time at my grandfather's grave as possible, usually telling anyone who was unfortunate enough to be within earshot that one day she was going to be buried next to him, and even as a kid it struck me as a ghoulish waste of time.

There are a lot of variables involved in this question. Charles could have visited Diana's grave in private several times and we wouldn't have known about it, so it may not be safe to assume that just because there aren't any recorded instances, it means he hasn't visited. It's even less safe to assume that if he hasn't visited, it's because he's forgotten about Diana or is trying to forget about her or never cared about her or anything along those lines - we don't know his intentions. Then there's the issue of access - Diana's grave is on private land and presumably anyone who visits needs to get permission from Earl Spencer. And while I'm sure the Earl will be very accommodating toward William and Harry, it doesn't necessarily follow (after his performance at Diana's funeral) that the same applies to the Queen, Prince Philip, and Prince Charles.

So my answer to the above is "I don't care." I don't think Charles has spent his life showing himself to be a callous, unfeeling cad, I think he's concerned about the wellbeing of his sons, it appears that he and Diana were on reasonably friendly terms during the months before her death, and therefore I think that his opinion about visiting her grave, whatever that opinion might be, will have been reached on the basis of reasoned thought and a fairly sincere wish to do the right thing.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter to me whether he visits her grave or not.

I think it would be a nice thing to do. I want to think that he cared for/loved her at one time. Visit her grave, if he means it, not for a photo op. The visit might end up being meaningful to him.

If he wants to visit the grave of the mother of his two sons, then IMO its a good idea.

Yes I agreed that we really don't know whether Charles has visited Diana's grave or not. But no matter whether the he did or not, it doesn't affect my answer to this question. My answer is it's good for Charles to visit.

First, I don't see any reason that he shouldn't, simply because they were not enemy.

Second, Diana died at an unexpected young age. I think her suddend death leaved a lot of unfinished thing, and a lot of regrets. There must be some words didn't say. For Charles and Diana, considering so many rifts, so many hurts had been done, there were a lot, especailly emotional stuffs should be repaired. Though whether Charles visits or not has no difference to Diana, but it would be quite different for Charles.

Third, for the good sake of the two princes. No doubt that the openning and bitter divorce of Charles and Diana had left scars in the two princes hearts. The reconciling of their parents, even though separated by life and death would heal the scars to some extents. And since when Diana died, her two children were still so young, isn't it sad to see these two little boys to visited mother's grave on their own?

The last reason, maybe the most important one, it's for the good sake of the country. Admit it or not, the war of Wales has set the country into two camps. There is a big rift there. And Charles is the critical figure who is able to seal the rift. Since he is going to the King of Britain, I think it's his responsibility to do that. By visiting Diana's grave, I think it will give the clearest message to the public that the war of Wales doesn't exist anymore.

I don't know other Diana's fan. If I know Charles did visit Diana's grave, my impression of him would be much better.

I, believe, it would be up to Charles whether he did or not. Also, as visiting a grave is very personal, he should not be judged on whether he did, does or didn't. Some people don't believe in visiting graves, others do. Does he visit other graves? Maybe, he doesn't.

It would be nice if he did, since she was once his wife and is the mother to his boys, and I believe visiting one's grave that you were once close to will make you sad but it will also make you feel much better, some people just sit there and talk to them as if they were there. If Charles has never visited her grave then the public or the press should not blast him for it, we should respect his reasons.

Its his personal choice, but I would find it a sweet gesture if done in private. I heard that when Charles heard about the accident that he was prepared to help Diana heal (before he knew she passed). If that were true, I think that would have been a very sweet gesture, and it would touch my heart.

I voted "don't care". I don't mean that it would be a bad thing for him to do, but I don't think visiting graves is necessary or that not doing so has any hidden meaning. I happen to drive past the cemetary where my father is buried every day on my way to work, but I have visited his grave only once in the 13 years since he's been gone. It wouldn't change my memories of him or the fact that I think of him often and honor him, so I don't feel the need to do it.

I voted I don't know, because in my opinion it is a personal matter. I do not feel that I should tell Prince Charles how to remember the mother of his boys.

But, I did read that only his sons have gone to Diana, Princess of Wales' grave.:flowers:

I voted 'I don't care', not because I'm dismissing the question, rather I feel that its a very personal choice.

I've never visited my mother's grave simply because I don't need a grave to remember her but other people feel differently and that is their choice.

Since it is so personal to the people involved,I really have no opinion on the matter.:neutral:

Its his personal choice, but I would find it a sweet gesture if done in private. I heard that when Charles heard about the accident that he was prepared to help Diana heal (before he knew she passed). If that were true, I think that would have been a very sweet gesture, and it would touch my heart.

I'm sure he would have done this for her. They had experienced many discords during their separation but they were still supporting each other and came to keep a good relationship in the late 90's. Charles is a caring person, as much as Diana IMO. I think he couldn't bear seeing Diana hurting herself through anorexia and bulimia and tried his best to help her. He definitely would have been next to her while she was healing.

I don't know what to believe about Charles visiting Diana's grave. People react differently to someone's death : some feel the need to go and visit, others can't or don't want to for various reasons. If he didn't, I doubt it was to forget about her ; she's a part of his life. No matter how hard he would try, he couldn't erase the time he had with her.

I voted 'I don't care'.

It is none of our business, but to me, why visit a small piece of earth, the thing that is buried there is not the person just the shell.

This poem by Mary E. Frye sums it up for me.

I voted 'I don't care'.

It is none of our business, but to me, why visit a small piece of earth, the thing that is buried there is not the person just the shell.

This poem by Mary E. Frye sums it up for me.

That's very nice Sky. I love this poem. Death is a tragic issue in our society but several civilizations do not see it as a sad event. Nowadays, people tend to accept incinerations and some family dispatch the ashes in nature so there's no 'physical' presence anymore. If they had done it with Diana there wouldn't be such a question today.

´I don´t care´ is my vote.
It´s only his very private matter and it has nothing to do with Charles´feelings, thoughts or memories of Diana.

I voted "don't care". I'm not from a grave-visiting family. We tend to cremate anyway, and my personal wish is for my ashes to be scattered. My mother doesn't even know where my fathers ashes ended up. Mind you, he died 50 years ago; it's not like it was last year and her recent memory's going.

I don't see the point of visiting a grave of a loved one; it'll only make you sad because it will bring back memories of their death and burial. You can remember them anywhere, it doesn't have to be where their mortal remains lie. That which made them the person you knew and cared about is not there, but lives on in your heart and memory.

But I know it's important for some people, and if Charles is one of them and he wants to, he should do it. But I don't think he should be judged for whether he does or not. I think it's something personal for everyone to decide for themselves, and nobody else's business.

For whatever reason, it is not necessary for Prince Charles to visit Diana's graves in public. If it was in private, it is his own choice. His everthing with Diana belongs to his private life and doing these things very publicly simply was not his style.

Personally, I think he would always remember Diana as his first wife and the mother of his two sons. It is enough.

I voted "I don't care" as well.
I remember reading something once that said to the effect not to bring my favorite flowers to my grave, but instead have them near you that you think of me when you see/smell them, then think of me. Through your remembrance I live on.

I wouldn't doubt that he doesn't think of Diana often - every time he sees his children. Hopefully, they are happy thoughts. But I don't think you need to see a plot of earth to respect those we lost.

I think it would be wonderful if he did vist her grave. Their marrage didn't work out, but that doesn't mean that he didn't care for her. I think Diana ment more to him than people think.

Oh, I don't know--I'm not sure I really care, but I checked that it was good for him to visit her grave---she was the mother of his children, she died young, yada yada yada--but I doubt he would go because he just doesn't seem to be one to dwell on the past too much, and he probably doesn't want to deal with the Earl. Personallly, as a second wife myself, I would not be terribly keen on my husband visiting his first wife's grave; it's weird. But, on the other hand I would want him to pay his respects because of their children. But, I wouldn't want him out there more than once. It gets a little creepy after that. Charles may talk to plants, but I don't think he's going to talk to dead people.
My main concern is whether or not the boys visit--we don't know their relationship with their uncle, but I hope it is good enough for them to be able to go to Althorp whenver they want.

My main concern is whether or not the boys visit--we don't know their relationship with their uncle, but I hope it is good enough for them to be able to go to Althorp whenver they want.

I have heard that the boys are more then welcome. They have gone before the opening of Althrop to the public.:flowers:

would they "shut down" and make everyone leave Althrop if Will and Harry showed up to visit her?

I think it's nice that His Royal Highness visited her grave she was his first wife and Mother of his children.

charles visit diana's grave

too much time has passed,for him to visit her.he has been near her many times on duty and never has he gone to diana,shows you,he does not know how to love or say sorry.do not like the guy one bit.

too much time has passed,for him to visit her.he has been near her many times on duty and never has he gone to diana,shows you,he does not know how to love or say sorry.do not like the guy one bit.

How interesting, that you know about every step Charles does and about all the feelings he has. Maybe you can tell us your source?

Gone to Diana? Let's face it, she's hardly capable of conversation. Honestly, the things people say.

Gone to Diana? Let's face it, she's hardly capable of conversation. Honestly, the things people say.

Love your wit Beatrix!
I whether he visits the grave or not is a personal matter and should be left as such.
Lexi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom