The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What is your opinion about Charles visiting Diana's grave?
I think its good for Charles to visit Diana's grave. 114 52.29%
I don't think its good for Charles to visit Diana's grave. 20 9.17%
I don't know. 10 4.59%
I don't care whether he visits her grave or not. 74 33.94%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I have many friends who are divorced, some amicably, some acrimonious, (because he/she found other loves) and not one expressed a desire to visit their ex wife/husbands grave.

Apart from the ones who wanted to dance on or at least weigh it down!
I don't think most Brits have that outlook. You may visit the grave of a loved one regularly to start with, but times move on. I can't remember the last time I visited my first husbands grave, my son is a different matter, although that is not a yearly event.
I agree, Charles and Diana had moved on with their lives at the time of her death, she hadn't been a part of him living his life long before the divorce, nor he hers.
Charles is mature enough to decide what he wants to do anyway. And I honestly don't think Camilla would see this act of respect as morbid. I mean, would Charles forbid her to go visit Andrew Parker-Bowles' grave if he had died ?

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Royal Highness

I don't think that either Charles or Camilla seem like the type to forbid the other from doing something--for example, Charles is very conscious about his health yet Camilla is a smoker (unless she quit, I don't know)--

I think that the underlying idea here for a lot of people is that Charles and Diana had this "great love" and that he still loves her and feels guilt/remorse for everything that occured in the marriage. That could also be why some still dislike Camilla--because this huge mental image of the fairy tale wedding is always there. Even I, who adamantly feels that Camilla is a better match and Charles' true love, get a little sense of the fairy tale when I see photos of the wedding. So, if I feel it, I can only imagine how others who are more "into Diana" than I am would feel seeing those pictures and getting caught up in the emotion of the day--But, the great love that was portrayed that day was not the reality, so even though they had children together and he did care for her, I don't think this image of a grief-stricken Charles driving to Althorp every year to weep tears over Diana is an accurate image to indulge. He went to France to get her body, he was there the day of the funeral, and I'm sure he's been with the boys--but I highly doubt he would ever go by himself.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Charles is mature enough to decide what he wants to do anyway. And I honestly don't think Camilla would see this act of respect as morbid. I mean, would Charles forbid her to go visit Andrew Parker-Bowles' grave if he had died ?
Once someone is dead, it's a bit late to worry about showing them respect and to visit an ex's grave, is morbid, IMO. If you didn't love them enough to stay with them in life, it's too late once they are dead. I don't see Camilla forbidding Charles and I certainly don't see Charles forbidding Camilla. Then again, I can't see Camilla wishing to visit Andrews grave on a regular basis, when he dies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I don't think that either Charles or Camilla seem like the type to forbid the other from doing something--for example, Charles is very conscious about his health yet Camilla is a smoker (unless she quit, I don't know)--
I understand that she quit quite a while back!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I understand that she quit quite a while back!
Well, that is FANTASTIC! She'll be with us longer!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Once someone is dead, it's a bit late to worry about showing them respect and to visit an ex's grave, is morbid, IMO. If you didn't love them enough to stay with them in life, it's too late once they are dead. I don't see Camilla forbidding Charles and I certainly don't see Charles forbidding Camilla. Then again, I can't see Camilla wishing to visit Andrews grave on a regular basis, when he dies.
Me neither and I was not implying that Charles should visit her grave every day ! Whatever he chose to do, it's his business. It seems that Diana and Charles had sorted most things out and were capable of having a civilized conversation when meeting. I hope that's true ...

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJosh View Post
I think it's nice that His Royal Highness visited her grave she was his first wife and Mother of his children.
YES, I THINK IT WOULD BE NICE FOR HIM TO VISIT, AFTER ALL HE HEPLED PUT HER THERE.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 AM

I don't remember him training as an undertaker but please do refresh us on exactly which funeral directing course he completed.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAN DAY View Post
YES, I THINK IT WOULD BE NICE FOR HIM TO VISIT, AFTER ALL HE HEPLED PUT HER THERE.
How interesting--as I recall, Charles was neither driving nor chasing the car in which Diana had her fatal accident. Charles also was not a physician on call at the hospital that evening, so we can't accuse him of medical malpractice. And, as BeatrixFan has pointed out, I do not recall reading of Charles learning the undertakers trade. But, please, remind us of Charles role in placing Diana in her grave.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Or, alternatively, please don't. We don't really want to get back into the Charles/Diana/Camilla wars.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quite True--my apologies, Elspeth!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Please do not raise your voice. We can all hear you loud and clear.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Unfortunately, if we are apportioning blame, then the majority of it would have to go to the people who purchased the papers and magazines that published pictures of her. Yes she posed and encouraged the media, but she would not have done that if the papers were not selling.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Very outlandish remark, Charles seems like a gentle man who wouldn't hurt anyone especially his ex-wife who is the mother of his 2 children.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Aristocracy

I think HRH is pretty screwed no matter what he does. if he stays away, his critics write him off as cold, uncaring and disrepectful to the mother of his children. If he goes to Althorp, he's pinned as a hypocrite who can't leave the past alone.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Charles never really loved Diana. The marriage was a farce and I dont think he should make any more of a mockery of her or the institution with false emotions now.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Courtier

Has Prince Charles ever visited Diana's grave//?? If not why go now?? If he does visit, I just would hope he does it in a private manner with no media coverage
Old 02-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Nobility

There is absolutely no reason on Earth for Charles visiting Diana's grave.

Considering his thoughts on architecture, I often wonder what he thinks about that fountain! For once, I would have wanted his input on her London memorial...and I am almost certain he would have ensured it to be more dignified....

I am sure he in no way has ever made it difficult for William and Harry to visit the grave...
Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Courtier

He should very well visit her grave but who am i to say that, I very rearly visit the graves of loved ones myself. It is often a hard thing to do and in this situaiton maybe harder under pubilic opinion.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

IMHO this is a rather morbid discussion - as if Charles was constantly visiting graveyards anyway so why not this one...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

When the children we're young, I'm sure if they wanted to go on her birthday or Mother's Day, he would have/did take(n) them. Now that they are adults and can go on their own, I dont see any reason for Charles to go.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana