The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What is your opinion about Charles visiting Diana's grave?
I think its good for Charles to visit Diana's grave. 114 52.29%
I don't think its good for Charles to visit Diana's grave. 20 9.17%
I don't know. 10 4.59%
I don't care whether he visits her grave or not. 74 33.94%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Royal Highness

Oh, I don't know--I'm not sure I really care, but I checked that it was good for him to visit her grave---she was the mother of his children, she died young, yada yada yada--but I doubt he would go because he just doesn't seem to be one to dwell on the past too much, and he probably doesn't want to deal with the Earl. Personallly, as a second wife myself, I would not be terribly keen on my husband visiting his first wife's grave; it's weird. But, on the other hand I would want him to pay his respects because of their children. But, I wouldn't want him out there more than once. It gets a little creepy after that. Charles may talk to plants, but I don't think he's going to talk to dead people.
My main concern is whether or not the boys visit--we don't know their relationship with their uncle, but I hope it is good enough for them to be able to go to Althorp whenver they want.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
My main concern is whether or not the boys visit--we don't know their relationship with their uncle, but I hope it is good enough for them to be able to go to Althorp whenver they want.
I have heard that the boys are more then welcome. They have gone before the opening of Althrop to the public.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

would they "shut down" and make everyone leave Althrop if Will and Harry showed up to visit her?

Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Commoner

I think it's nice that His Royal Highness visited her grave she was his first wife and Mother of his children.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt View Post
would they "shut down" and make everyone leave Althrop if Will and Harry showed up to visit her?
They wouldn't need to, it is not open all year.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Commoner

charles visit diana's grave

too much time has passed,for him to visit her.he has been near her many times on duty and never has he gone to diana,shows you,he does not know how to love or say sorry.do not like the guy one bit.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris97 View Post
too much time has passed,for him to visit her.he has been near her many times on duty and never has he gone to diana,shows you,he does not know how to love or say sorry.do not like the guy one bit.
How interesting, that you know about every step Charles does and about all the feelings he has. Maybe you can tell us your source?
Old 02-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it is very good!
Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Gone to Diana? Let's face it, she's hardly capable of conversation. Honestly, the things people say.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Gone to Diana? Let's face it, she's hardly capable of conversation. Honestly, the things people say.
Love your wit Beatrix!
I whether he visits the grave or not is a personal matter and should be left as such.
Lexi
Old 02-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
too much time has passed,for him to visit her.he has been near her many times on duty and never has he gone to diana,
And you know this how???? It would I think be most unusual in any case, for a divorced person to visit the grave of an ex, and in the end, that is what she was, an ex.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
And you know this how???? It would I think be most unusual in any case, for a divorced person to visit the grave of an ex, and in the end, that is what she was, an ex.
Its not really unusual and she is the mother of his children, and they were on very good terms at the time of her passing. So I don't see any harm in him visiting the Princess' grave.

But one doesen't need to visit a grave to remember a loved one.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
IMO, Prince Charles would look rather foolish to care more about visiting her grave than minding what's left from her : William and Harry. Her soul is no longer here nor underground in Althorp's island. Although, I don't think it's unusual to pay visit to the grave of an ex. For me, it's natural ...

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 02-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt View Post
I think it would be wonderful if he did vist her grave. Their marrage didn't work out, but that doesn't mean that he didn't care for her. I think Diana ment more to him than people think.
I agree...

to be honest, I'm kind of surprised at the reaction of visiting graves on here. People I know usually go at holidays to loved ones who have passed as a sign of respect, to place flowers at least.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Serene Highness

I think it would be nice if he did, Diana was a mother of his two sons after all. But it is of course Charle's private matter, if he does not I would not criticize him.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 02-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Courtier

I think It's a good idea for Prince Charles to visit Princess Diana's grave because he probably misses her in his way and that he's the father of her two sons. He can visit her grave whatever he wants and I am sure he brought Princes William and Harry with him to visit the grave. I think that's important for the boys to know their father still cares and misses their mother.

Chantal
Old 02-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I don't know nor do I care. If he did wouldn't he have to deal with the earl? I'm sure that any visit from Charles would not go unnoticed or unannounced by him. If I were Charles and did want to visit, I'd take the lesser of the two evils and not go.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Royal Highness

I do not see any former spouse visiting the grave of the deceased person more than once--and that once should be at the funeral-which Charles attended. It just seems a little inconceivable that Charles, as suggested by various posters, would just go to visit her grave whenever he feels like it--because, frankly, I do doubt that he he would 'feel like" going to visit his ex-wife's grave. And, I highly doubt that Camilla would be alright with such a morbid expression.
I am sure Charles has been to the grave since the burial--probably to take the boys before they were old enough to drive. Now, as they can take themselves and have been able to for some time, I highly doubt that the PoW has been since then.
So, the answer, for me is, yes, it was appropriate for him to visit. One, at the time of the funeral and also to take the boys before they were able to go on their on. But, not that they can go on their own--no, it is not appropriate.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I do not see any former spouse visiting the grave of the deceased person more than once--and that once should be at the funeral-which Charles attended. It just seems a little inconceivable that Charles, as suggested by various posters, would just go to visit her grave whenever he feels like it--because, frankly, I do doubt that he he would 'feel like" going to visit his ex-wife's grave. And, I highly doubt that Camilla would be alright with such a morbid expression.
I am sure Charles has been to the grave since the burial--probably to take the boys before they were old enough to drive. Now, as they can take themselves and have been able to for some time, I highly doubt that the PoW has been since then.
So, the answer, for me is, yes, it was appropriate for him to visit. One, at the time of the funeral and also to take the boys before they were able to go on their on. But, not that they can go on their own--no, it is not appropriate.
If Charles decided to visit Princess Diana's grave once every month then thats a bit odd. But if he visited the grave on the anniversary then it seems okay. IMO I think he loved her, of course not the way he loved Camilla.

But in the end as TheTruth so eloquently put it, Diana is not there she is in a place where I doubt she's worrying about who is visiting her grave or not.
The poem that Skydragon posted is a great example of that.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Although, I don't think it's unusual to pay visit to the grave of an ex. For me, it's natural ...
I have many friends who are divorced, some amicably, some acrimonious, (because he/she found other loves) and not one expressed a desire to visit their ex wife/husbands grave.

Apart from the ones who wanted to dance on or at least weigh it down!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
to be honest, I'm kind of surprised at the reaction of visiting graves on here. People I know usually go at holidays to loved ones who have passed as a sign of respect, to place flowers at least.
I don't think most Brits have that outlook. You may visit the grave of a loved one regularly to start with, but times move on. I can't remember the last time I visited my first husbands grave, my son is a different matter, although that is not a yearly event.
Quote:
It just seems a little inconceivable that Charles, as suggested by various posters, would just go to visit her grave whenever he feels like it--because, frankly, I do doubt that he he would 'feel like" going to visit his ex-wife's grave.
I agree, Charles and Diana had moved on with their lives at the time of her death, she hadn't been a part of him living his life long before the divorce, nor he hers.

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana