The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Thats right, generally, there's either an underground vault which is a stone coffin-shaped hole and the slab with the inscription can be removed. In the past, coffins were loaded into an overground tomb and so the coffin was encased in a stone overground vault. That rarely happens now. I don't see what the Habsburgs did to be bad - I find it quite romantic.
__________________

__________________
  #62  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kerry View Post
Isn't the Duchess of Windsor among the residents at Frogmore?
Yes, and appropriately because the Duchess was family. She was the Duke's widow. I remember reading in one of Seward's books that Diana confided to the author the most vivid memory she had of the Queen shedding tears, and it was the Duchess's funeral, and Diana said she was so shocked to see it she didn't know how to respond.

I think Park House Sandringham was out of the question for two reasons I thought were obvious:
1) It was not a property of the Spencers. They had not renewed the lease since the early 70s, I think
2) It was bought by an elderly homes company, I think, in the early 90s or late 80s after being quite vacant and forlorn for many years.

I think it might have been unwise to bury her at Althorp, in retrospect, considering how her brother profits from her by such commerical means, but there is nothing to do about it now. I think her family, especially her sons, would hate to have her excavated and moved now. It would a terrible ordeal for them, I imagine.
__________________

__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #63  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
GillW's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Yes, and appropriately because the Duchess was family. She was the Duke's widow. I remember reading in one of Seward's books that Diana confided to the author the most vivid memory she had of the Queen shedding tears, and it was the Duchess's funeral, and Diana said she was so shocked to see it she didn't know how to respond.

I think Park House Sandringham was out of the question for two reasons I thought were obvious:
1) It was not a property of the Spencers. They had not renewed the lease since the early 70s, I think
2) It was bought by an elderly homes company, I think, in the early 90s or late 80s after being quite vacant and forlorn for many years.

I think it might have been unwise to bury her at Althorp, in retrospect, considering how her brother profits from her by such commerical means, but there is nothing to do about it now. I think her family, especially her sons, would hate to have her excavated and moved now. It would a terrible ordeal for them, I imagine.
Park House, Sandringham was donated by the Queen to the Leonard Cheshire Foundation, and that charity turned it into a holiday hotel for handicapped people, and it still runs to date. Diana frequently was known to stroll across from Sandringham House and have a cup of tea with those people staying there. The visitors are also often taken to wait outside the Sandringham Church and enjoy meeting the various Royals before & after the services held there. (I worked for the Leonard Cheshire Foundation for almost 5 years)
__________________
  #64  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 1
Diana is really buried .....

Some say she is now really buried on the shallow island, but in the church on the property and they just told people that to give her peace. After her death and they said she was on the island there were fresh cement marks that a tomb was opened and sealed in the church.
__________________
  #65  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 PM
selrahc4's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 760
I don't think Park House has been sold, though. It seems it was made available to the foundation but remains part of the the estate. Park House Hotel
__________________
aka Janet on some other forums
  #66  
Old 08-14-2007, 01:25 PM
trinny's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: On the coast, Australia
Posts: 151
At the time I think it was appropriate to bury her there, for her sake and for her boy's sake - they needed that security, privacy and solitude.

However, as someone has already said, I hate thinking of her there all on her own so I'd like to think of them moving her to ... um... possibly Frogmore (??) but for no one but those that must know to know.
So they can visit & be with their Mum more easily but still in private and with secure solitude.
__________________
  #67  
Old 08-14-2007, 01:54 PM
iowabelle's Avatar
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Des Moines, United States
Posts: 2,405
I thought the choice of the island was quite charming, rather Arthurian.

On the practical side, there was the issue of security around the burial site. And I think Earl Spencer talked about his fears about disrupting life in the village, if Diana had been laid to rest with their father.

I was concerned about the boys' access to the burial site, but, let's be honest, if Diana had been buried among the royals, the boys probably wouldn't have gone often, either, because they were in school. I'm sure that Earl Spencer wouldn't have had a problem with the boys visiting her at Althorp, even if he wasn't in residence.

The whole situation was just awkward for the families and terrible for the boys.
__________________
  #68  
Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I was concerned about the boys' access to the burial site, but, let's be honest, if Diana had been buried among the royals, the boys probably wouldn't have gone often, either, because they were in school.
If buried at Frogmore, it would have been pretty convenient I think while they studied at Eton. But I can see that any place for her would have posed its own problems, given the unique person she was. At least at Althorp, it feels like she is laid to rest in a familiar home rather than what might feel like a cold mausoleum(sp) at Frogmore.

I am sure you are right about the PW and PH having free access to Althorp anytime. Although not close to Lord Spencer, for whatever reasons (perhaps only because he is often traveling or living abroad, or else they feel as the general public feels about it, not liking him! ) I have always taken Spencer at his word when he says that his nephews are able and welcome to visit the island any whim. I cannot imagine why it would be otherwise.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #69  
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 AM
GillW's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinny View Post
At the time I think it was appropriate to bury her there, for her sake and for her boy's sake - they needed that security, privacy and solitude.

However, as someone has already said, I hate thinking of her there all on her own so I'd like to think of them moving her to ... um... possibly Frogmore (??) but for no one but those that must know to know.
So they can visit & be with their Mum more easily but still in private and with secure solitude.
But isn't it nicer that she is resting in her own "family" home where she lived - and for at least part of her youth - grew up? There are family around her for some of the year, as well as thousands of well-wishing visitors who still love & miss her.

Frogmore is not and never has been a home, simply a place for the dead - none of whom Diana even knew in life....It is open to visitors for just a handful of days each year - cutting her off from the public who kept her going and gave her invaluable support.
__________________
  #70  
Old 08-16-2007, 02:22 PM
selrahc4's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
Frogmore is not and never has been a home, simply a place for the dead -
Among others, Queen Victoria's mother the Duchess of Kent lived there. Also her daughter Princess Helena and husband Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein and their family. Prince Louis of Battenberg and his wife Princess Victoria (grandparents of the Duke of Edinburgh) and their family lived there for a while; their son Louis (later Earl Mountbatten of Burma) was born there in 1900. King Edward VII lived there for a time when he was Prince of Wales and his son Albert Victor (later Duke of Clarence and Avondale) was born there in 1864.
__________________
aka Janet on some other forums
  #71  
Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Fergie and Andrew were supposed to live there after the wedding.
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #72  
Old 08-16-2007, 03:28 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
I don't think Frogmore was ever considered to be a home by anyone in the family. Prince Andrew and Sarah, I think, once intended to have Royal Lodge refurbished but for some reason (I forgot why) they used Sunninghill Park, which had originally been intended for Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, but Sunninghill Park had been destroyed by fire so the Edinburghs moved to the rented Windlesham Moor or Manor (?) instead. Please correct me if this is wrong. I am not sure I remember this stuff precisely.

Now of course Royal Lodge is used by Prince Andrew after he inherited it from the Queen Mother and it was extensively renovated for his permanent residence. I guess Sunninghill Park is still on the market, although Sarah and the girls can still use it until it sells.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #73  
Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Yes it was considered for Andrew and Sarah to move to Frogmore House.
Frogmore House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #74  
Old 08-16-2007, 03:48 PM
selrahc4's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I don't think Frogmore was ever considered to be a home by anyone in the family.
Why do you think that the people I mentioned above who lived there never considered it to be a home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Prince Andrew and Sarah, I think, once intended to have Royal Lodge refurbished but for some reason (I forgot why) they used Sunninghill Park
The reason probably was the very good one that it was the weekend home of the Queen Mother and had been since the 1930's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
...they used Sunninghill Park, which had originally been intended for Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, but Sunninghill Park had been destroyed by fire .
Yes, the original Sunninghill Park which was purchased by the Crown Estates in 1945 did suffer destruction by fire. But, of course, Andrew did not move into that building, another (we've heard of South York) being constructed at that address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Now of course Royal Lodge is used by Prince Andrew after he inherited it from the Queen Mother and it was extensively renovated for his permanent residence. I guess Sunninghill Park is still on the market, although Sarah and the girls can still use it until it sells.
I guess you could say he inherited it in that he received the right to lease it; but it is still a property of the Crown Estates. The Sunninghill house that was built for Prince Andrew after he married has supposedly been sold recently. I'm not sure to whom the proceeds went, whether to the Queen herself or to the Crown Estates; I'm pretty sure it was never in Andrew's name as owner.
__________________
aka Janet on some other forums
  #75  
Old 08-16-2007, 04:19 PM
GillW's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Baltimore View Post
Some say she is not really buried on the shallow island, but in the church on the property and they just told people that to give her peace. After her death and they said she was on the island there were fresh cement marks that a tomb was opened and sealed in the church.
The Church at Great Brington is not on the estate, but about 2 miles away in the village (I know - I've walked there from Althorp house) The "fresh" cement that journalists talk about was where the vault was opened to add the remains of Diana's father, 8th Earl Spencer, a few years earlier. There has been no change since the depositing of his ashes in early 1992.

The church is not some private secret chapel, but is the well used and popular village church, so any changes would be noticed immediately.
__________________
  #76  
Old 08-16-2007, 04:23 PM
GillW's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
Among others, Queen Victoria's mother the Duchess of Kent lived there. Also her daughter Princess Helena and husband Prince Christian of Schleswig-Holstein and their family. Prince Louis of Battenberg and his wife Princess Victoria (grandparents of the Duke of Edinburgh) and their family lived there for a while; their son Louis (later Earl Mountbatten of Burma) was born there in 1900. King Edward VII lived there for a time when he was Prince of Wales and his son Albert Victor (later Duke of Clarence and Avondale) was born there in 1864.
Apologies - I humbly stand corrected.

However, what doesn't change is that Diana never lived there, nor any of her family, nor anyone she ever knew, and the only reason she ever set foot in the place was for a funeral or two...
__________________
  #77  
Old 08-16-2007, 05:33 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
I stand corrected too. I was just trying to help.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #78  
Old 08-16-2007, 11:24 PM
selrahc4's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 760
GillW and CasiraghiTrio, my apologies to both of you as well if my posts in response to yours came over too dogmatic. I was also just trying to expand on the facts. Sometimes I become too impatient with suppostion which doesn't match the facts. It's a failing of mine.
__________________
aka Janet on some other forums
  #79  
Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 AM
GillW's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nottingham, United Kingdom
Posts: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4 View Post
GillW and CasiraghiTrio, my apologies to both of you as well if my posts in response to yours came over too dogmatic. I was also just trying to expand on the facts. Sometimes I become too impatient with suppostion which doesn't match the facts. It's a failing of mine.
NO offence taken - I'd much rather find out the facts than stumble along under misconceptions, so thanks for the information.
__________________
  #80  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:09 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
If Diana's remains are exhumed and re-buried elsewhere its nothing new. Karen Carpenter died in 1983 and her brother had her exhumed from her marble tomb and put her into the family masoluem with her parents in 2003 20 years after her death. William and Harry might do that with the Princess.
__________________

__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
Closed Thread

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Diana picture thread I royalrelic Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 202 08-19-2005 03:53 PM
The Late Princess Diana Yennie Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 171 02-20-2005 01:19 PM
The Late Princess Diana Kelly B Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 186 05-29-2004 01:43 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman picture of the month poland pom president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]