The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

The Verdict of the Diana Inquest, April 2008, and aftermath

The verdict is in. Unlawful killing due to negligent driving by the driver of the car and the paparazzi. What a surprise, and it only took a few million Pounds to figure out.

The thread about the inquest can be found here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8-a-14241.html

{Edited to add a link to the inquest thread - Elspeth}

Old 04-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

The inquest is going to have a verdict shortly from the juriors.

But at least they have now included the paparazzi. The two reports from France and Britian didn't. I always thought that was strange.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Diana, Princess of Wales, was unlawfully killed, the jurors at the inquest into her death have decided.

Diana And Dodi Inquest: Princess Was Unlawfully Killed |Sky News|UK News

Grossly negligent driving caused the deaths of the Princess and her lover Dodi Fayed, the jurors said.

The jury singled out Henri Paul's drink driving as a contributory factor for the crash in the Alma Tunnel in Paris.

BBC NEWS | UK | Princess Diana unlawfully killed

The jury also specified that Mr Paul's drink-driving and the fact that neither Mr Fayed nor Diana were wearing seatbelts contributed to their deaths
Old 04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Latest News :
BBC NEWS | UK | Princess Diana unlawfully killed
URGENT ¥¥¥ Diana died due to 'unlawful killing': inquest jury - Yahoo! News UK
Jury: Diana's death unlawful - CNN.com

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

And now we wait with bated breath for Fayeds verdict on the verdict!

Parties involved in the Diana inquest have been giving their reactions to the verdict.

Diana Inquest: Reaction On The Verdict Of The Jury |Sky News|Home
Old 04-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Courtier

I really thought that they would return a verdict of accidental death, this really surprised me! Fayed doesn't seem pleased with the verdict but then I doubt anyone expected him to be. I don't think that there is very much he can do about it so hopefully he will finally move on now. He needs to get some serious grief counseling and start living his life again.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
And now we wait with bated breath for Fayeds verdict on the verdict!
It's already there according to the BBC:
Mr Fayed's father Mohamed refused to accept the verdict.

from the above quoted link to the BBC report: BBC NEWS | UK | Princess Diana unlawfully killed
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Let us hope that is his final reaction, but I think in the coming days he might find something else to say. I feel sorry for him if he really believes he has millions of supporters.

I also feel sorry for Henri Pauls parents, that can't be easy for them to hear.

A video of Fayeds statement, read to the press

Al Fayed Still Angry Over Inquest - Sky News Video Player

Old 04-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wonder if he'll try to say that Prince Philip's trip to hospital was some sort of stunt to try and get sympathy from the jury or something.

I mean, he got pretty much all he wanted - jury trial and the works - and it came back to bite him fairly badly, because in fingering Henri Paul as responsible, the jury was saying that Fayed himself, Paul's employer, was also partly responsible, and it exonerated the royal family completely.

Of course he isn't going to accept the verdict - no doubt in his mind, calling the Queen to the witness box would have made the crucial difference or something - but that's hardly surprising. This guy is one of these super-rich people whose money has ensured that he got what he wanted time and again in his life, and this time has been different. He's never going to accept that, and I don't suppose anyone is surprised. But he really hasn't done Diana any favours. The inquest showed how flaky some of her so-called friends and associates were, people had to give unvarnished evidence because they were under oath, and the whole picture has come out as being rather sleazy. For someone who's claiming to just want justice for Diana, he's actually, if anything, done her some fairly bad damage.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Nobility

I'm just going to say I feel safest in London in Harrod's. My heart go out to those who mourn. It's never over....restless spirits never are at peace.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

I watched his full statement on Sky News and he is saying, if I understood correctly, that the jury have backed him up. That nobody has said who owned the 'other' car's that were following them that night. He also said that the jury had disagreed with the French and British investigation, which proved he was right.

There was the suggestion on this programme, that there could now be investigations into Burrell's and other persons perjury.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
I'm just going to say I feel safest in London in Harrod's. My heart go out to those who mourn. It's never over....restless spirits never are at peace.
I don't know why you would feel safest in Harrods, I would think many of the best pickpockets favour that kind of shop.

Diana was killed in a car accident, why would she be a 'restless spirit'.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

I feel relieved that it´s over now!
The result was to be expected.
No new knowledges but a lot of fuss for nothing!

A tragically accident has happened ten years ago, let the dead rest in peace now and give their families and friends the chance to move on!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Fayed will never be satisfied and nothing will ever calm his determination to see his truth recognized. I wouldn't say this Inquest was a lost of time though. I'm pleased to see that paparazzi were in part blamed and exposed as factors of the accident.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
I wouldn't say this Inquest was a lost of time though. I'm pleased to see that paparazzi were in part blamed and exposed as factors of the accident.
I agree. Maybe this might help the Princes' future wives with press attention.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just hope it really is over and that the media won't pay any attention to Fayed. Hopefully the Princess of Wales, Dodi Fayed and Henri Paul are now at peace.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

That John Loughrey is so annoying.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy

I agree the result was to be expected.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Royal Highness

i think mr. fayed will go to his grave publicly proclaiming what he believes to be the truth. i'm not saying he's right i'm just saying he believes it. the truth would be that people were killed because the person driving was intoxicated and they weren't wearing seatbelts. if he would come to terms with this then he might be able to find some peace.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Aristocracy

Wow I have just woken up to the news. When they first said "unlawfully killed" I thought al-Fayed had got what he wanted but then they clarified

I actually thought the verdict would be accidental and I can't believe how quickly the jury reached a decision I thought it would be weeks before we heard

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, inquest, princess diana