The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 04-08-2008, 03:24 AM
Lakshmi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: *, United States
Posts: 1,226
I don't like Harry and William mentioned Dodi in this statement about inquest. They try to be so "politically correct" and "nice". Dodi might be a nice guy etc, but he was just a short time lover, never family member, it's sort of tacky to mention him even if they think it is gesture towards Al-Fayed family.
I always believed it was just a fatal crash, and I always blamed paparazzis. I agree some laws should be changed so "reporters" would know that they would be punished for stalking. Such behavior has nothing to do with freedom of press.
__________________

__________________
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.''
Eleanor Roosevelt

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
The various news channels here, all discussing and dissecting the verdict, have said that

'as Mr Al Fayed's spokesman has made clear, he has left open the possibility that he will challenge the verdict'

(Remembered from the best of my ability).

The BBC also had the ex editor of the NotW and Arthur Edwards on, both were saying, when asked why they published pictures taken by these packs, ..... "well we had to, if we didn't they were published in foreign papers and came to us through other means anyway. Of course we would rather not have published those that were clearly pursuit pictures, but if we allowed other publications to get the lead, we would not be very popular" OR WORDS TO THAT EFFECT.

Oh right, as if any of them would be welcomed to my table based on that excuse!

Al Fayed 'considering options' - Yahoo! News UK

Diana Butler Paul Burrell Avoids Perjury Probe Over Inquest |Sky News|UK News

Michael Cole, spokesman for Mohamed al Fayed, immediately responded to the remarks.

He told Sky News the Harrods boss also wanted to "move on" but was nevertheless meeting his legal team today to examine his options.
"Don't you think I do (want to move on)? Don't you think I do?" he said.
"This last six months has been like going through a very, very dark tunnel and the whole of the last 10 years has been terrible.
"Of course we all want to move on but I think there can be no untied up loose ends, but all we're doing today is trying to see if there is anything more that can be done."


Mr Cole went on: "Mohamed doesn't want to perpetuate this thing, he has got no interest in that, it actually takes a great deal out of him.
"But he feels he owes it to his son, he feels he owes it to the Princess and he feels he owes it to the world to actually make every effort to get all the facts out."

Diana Butler Paul Burrell Avoids Perjury Probe Over Inquest |Sky News|UK News
The Princess of Wales's former butler Paul Burrell looks set to escape a perjury probe after the coroner at Diana's inquest said he had no plans to refer him to police
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 70
It seems that Paul Burrell is a non-issue. Yes, he may have committed perjury but is more likely that he did not. In in his own self important mind, he was perpetuating his own ego and ability to make money off of Diana, nothing else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Of course he committed perjury. This sends out a message that you can be sleazy, trade off a dead woman, lie in a court and get away with it. Burrell should go down.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Of course he committed perjury. This sends out a message that you can be sleazy, trade off a dead woman, lie in a court and get away with it. Burrell should go down.
Somewhere I read that any citizen of the Uk could go to the police and report Burrell for having committed perjury. It need not be the coroner and while I understand that the Lord Justice does not want to bring up charges against Burrell I wonder if noone else will do it. I would if I could.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-08-2008, 11:59 AM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Mr. Fayed confuses me, the fact almost every single conspiracy theory can be proven false by the evidence and information we have should be proof enough. I truly hope Fayed doesn't appeal the verdict.

Quote:
I'm actually am surprised that Trevor Reese-Jones actually survived that accident although he had his seatbelt (or not - rumours that he didn't) on may have saved his life he could have broken his neck from the impact.
I too am still really surprised even to this day that he survived. I guess it was just meant to be.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
My goodness is this Fayed cheap! And he obviously believes the whole world to be stupid or what?

from the Times: Brown warns Mohamed Al Fayed not to challenge Diana verdict - Times Online

Mr Al Fayed, who has so far spend £15 million of his own fortune pursuing his theories, had told the inquest during his sworn testimony that he would abide by the verdict of the jury.
Today, however, Mr Cole said: "When he made that declaration, it was on the assumption that the jury would be allowed to hear everything. They weren't."

He said that the jury had not been allowed to consider a verdict of murder, and had not heard evidence from either the Queen or the Duke of Edinburgh. The paparazzi who chased the black Mercedes limousine at high speed through the streets of Paris also refused to come from France to testify.

"He had no way of knowing so many key French witnesses would refuse to come forward," said Mr Cole."

End of quote.

Now come on, when Fayed said that on oath, he knew exactly that a lot of the paparazzi had refused to testify. That had been known for a long time then... what does he think?

But I'm glad that even the Prime Minister now steps forward and tries to spare the British taxpayer yet another show of Fayed's crazyness at the expense of his voters... Is about time, IMHO:
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-08-2008, 12:28 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
I don't like Harry and William mentioned Dodi in this statement about inquest. They try to be so "politically correct" and "nice". Dodi might be a nice guy etc, but he was just a short time lover, never family member, it's sort of tacky to mention him even if they think it is gesture towards Al-Fayed family.
Honestly, I find it normal. Of course, there's no possible comparison between their mother and a man they barely knew but it's very important to mention all the victims. It was reproached that at the time of their death, Dodi was put out of the picture and that only talked about Diana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Of course he committed perjury. This sends out a message that you can be sleazy, trade off a dead woman, lie in a court and get away with it. Burrell should go down.
I share your opinion. It's too easy to let Burrell walk out like that. It's very understandable that this Inquest has been a real headache for the ones taking care of it but now it's like they are in a rush to close it.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,644
I truly feel sorry only for Mr.Paul's family. He will be known as a drunk driver, who contributed to Princess Diana's death. This may not be true. We shall never know what really happened in the Pont de l'Alma tunnel. I believe that the whole accident happens to be just a chain of unfortunate events.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things" Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,189
I feel badly for Henri Paul's parents. A jury has decided that their son's negligence caused the death of the world's most famous woman. This must be a terrible blow to them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
It's always unfair when other people must face the blame instead of the true guilty person. In this case, Henri Paul's parents had to receive the verdict and they are the ones to pay for their son's mistake. And all the paparazzi are paying the price for only a few who went too far.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,644
I for one think that Mr. Paul's parents did in fact expect that their son would be the one to blame as he was the driver. Miracles of exoneration from any charges in cases involving public rich people happen in films only.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things" Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,189
I agree with what you say, Al bina and TheTruth, about Henri Paul's parents being in some way prepared for the verdict. I think, though, that to see their son's name in print as being responsible for the accident would bring things home to them in a whole new way.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,189
I certainly hope so, Roslyn. It's definitely up to the papers and magazines not to publish paparazzi photos, because people will buy whatever's published.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I have a feeling some good could come of that finding about the role of the paparazzi.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
tinkerbell1948's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Country SA, Australia
Posts: 149
And the saga continues

Diana inquest: It will always be murder to Fayed, as he hints that his fight is STILL not over | the Daily Mail
__________________
Tink
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
"Don't confuse me with facts, I know how I feel..."

Sigh. Not surprising, but still.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:03 PM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
I'm glad it is over--officially. Whether or not Al Fayed chooses to pursue this doesn't change that the verdict is in, and it is what I expected. Drunk driving, no seatbelts and the paparazzi were responsible for the deaths that night. I hope that the boys are able to put this behind them.
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,786
He has officially accepted the verdict and says he's done!(I hope!) Wow that's surprising, he still sounds absolutly insane in this interview but maybe someday down the road he'll realize there was no conspiracy to it and it was just a simple accident.I think Fayed started this in a sense to divert attention away from him and getting the blame after the accident and it ended up becoming something he trutly beleived in, he beleived the conspiracy theories were real in the end, atleast in my opinion. I do wonder though, those conspiracy theorist followers at the inquest verdict, did they actually follow the inquest or are they delusional, my mind for some reason won't let the murder thing go even though I know from everything I read that it was 100% not murder on the Establishment's part, though I can't help but always go back to that thought, I guess that's what 10 years of listening to the media does to you. But that's there job now isn't it? I do have to say though I am so glad the jury found it to be a combined factor of impared judgement and the paparazzi in pursuit because putting full blame on Mr. Paul isn't fair, we don't know if his alcohol consumption was the main reason to him speeding that night. I guess Mr. Cole was right when he said we'll never know the meaning behind the Repossi ring,(I have to add as well as many other things) 'cause I'm still confused, although I doubt Diana would have gotten re-married. Anyways, Diana may your familly finally find happiness over what has been a crazy 10 years.

'God will get revenge for me,' says tearful Mohamed al Fayed as he admits defeat in decade-long Diana battle | the Daily Mail
(Read the article it's not what you think. Don't judge it by the headline.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,189
I think that people are open to conspiracy theories because there have been real cover-ups in the past and there's a lot of conspiracy-based fiction out there. If a person reads enough murder mysteries and political thrillers, anything seems possible after awhile. I've read enough of them to know that a person can get into that did-he-fall-or-was-he-pushed way of thinking.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
He has officially accepted the verdict and says he's done!(I hope!) Wow that's surprising, he still sounds absolutly insane in this interview but maybe someday down the road he'll realize there was no conspiracy to it and it was just a simple accident. I do wonder though, those conspiracy theorist followers at the inquest verdict, did they actually follow the inquest or are they delusional, my mind for some reason won't let the murder thing go even though I know from everything I read that it was 100% not murder on the Establishment's part, though I can't help but always go back to that thought, I guess that's what 10 years of listening to the media does to you. But that's there job now isn't it? I do have to say though I am so glad the jury found it to be a combined factor of impared judgement and the paparazzi in pursuit because putting full blame on Mr. Paul isn't fair, we don't know if his alcohol consumption was the main reason to him speeding that night. I guess Mr. Cole was right when he said we'll never know the meaning behind the Repossi ring, cause I'm still confused, although I doubt Diana would have gotten re-married. Anyways, Diana may your familly finally find happiness over what has been a crazy 10 years.

'God will get revenge for me,' says tearful Mohamed al Fayed as he admits defeat in decade-long Diana battle | the Daily Mail
(Read the article it's not what you think. Don't judge it by the headline.)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
I think that people are open to conspiracy theories because there have been real cover-ups in the past and there's a lot of conspiracy-based fiction out there. If a person reads enough murder mysteries and political thrillers, anything seems possible after awhile. I've read enough of them to know that a person can get into that did-he-fall-or-was-he-pushed way of thinking.
That's true, I've said this many times but I'm probably a little guilty of being the same way in the early stages of the inquest, I doubted every little piece of evidence, but soon I came to understand more about it and realized I was wrong all these years, this was no cover up and if it was they sure did a good job at it. lol

Quote:
Okay, the family of Henri Paul, they must be disappointed but I thought the evidence about him having drunk two Ricards before he drove was enough to explain his part in the accident
I can't find the transcripts right now I can't remember what date it was but I beleive one the experts had said that by the time of the crash the 2 Ricards would have been out of his system. If it was one of the people Fayed hired though I take it back. But anyways I get the point your trying to make I just wanted to point that out ....for some odd reason.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, inquest, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Diana Inquest: The Untold Story" by John Morgan, 2009 ghost_night554 Royal Library 21 08-05-2009 10:17 AM
The Diana Inquest: October 2007 - April 2008 sirhon11234 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 1611 04-08-2008 01:35 PM
The Late Princess Diana news thread 5: April - June 2007 sirhon11234 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 210 06-06-2007 02:03 AM
The Late Princess Diana news thread 4: September 2006 - April 2007 Warren Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 203 04-09-2007 03:27 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman poland pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]