The Settelen Tapes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maryshawn

Serene Highness
City
Green Bay
Country
United States
Before I realized how this worked, I posted this in wrong area; sorry for the duplication. How many of you believe Peter Settleton, the out of work actor who coached and taped Diana--1 set already shown on NBC I think--will sell the rest and how many believe he will "treat them as his personal shared property" with the Princess (his quote) and lock them away for good?

I'm sorry but once the money runs out from the first tapes, I believe he will sell the rest......but maybe I'm a cynic.

Wouldn't be surprised. If he's done it once and profited from it, it'd be hard to resist. I think there's going to be a market for Diana-related stuff for a long time.

Well, it a very good question!! And difficult to answer.

YES: I agree with you that once the money runs out, he will may sell the rest.
YES: TV-stations may pressure him to give the other tapes, to make an sensation-programme again.
NO: I don't think he will betray Diana as others did
NO: I think he got a warning from the Windsors...

Wherever there is money, these people will follow

Have we not learned anything from that rat Paul Burrell?? Morton and the rest of the gang will ride this rollercoaster as long as there is money to be made!! It is sickening!!

Well, if people didn't buy the stuff, there wouldn't be the money to be made. It isn't just the fault of the journalists and others who are jumping on the bandwagon; the people creating the bandwagon share the responsibility also.

Tapes

I agree with you, Elsbeth. She died in 1997 and the tabloids, media, etc., are still making money when she is featured. The ones I hate the most are recent headlines like "Secret Diana took to her grave" and insinuate Harry is not Charles' son......what a crock and how hurtful to this young man and his family! As for the tapes, I have seen this speech coach, would-be actor and I predict they will be aired and analyzed ad nauseum in 2005. This man is an opportunist who loves to talk about his brush with fame......15 minutes isn't enough for his kind. I will say I do have tapes on Diana's life because I admire her. I don't buy the tabloids nor will I watch garbage like tapes she never would've authorized for public viewing. It's intrusive and insulting to her memory. But there are some people who--and a part of me understands this--just want to know more about her.....She was taken too young and perhaps they crave as much insight as possible to the life of a Princess who captured our imaginations and endured so much. Any thoughts?

One last question: When do you think Di-mania will cease? Ever? There is a generation who hardly knew her and could care less......they will be far more intrigued with her sons I would imagine.

I think you are correct. I teach a Year 7 class (aged 11 - 12) and they don't even know who she was. Remember they were only 4 or 5 when she died and it didn't make an impact on them.

I think it's going to probably take a generation, and then people will be treating it pretty much like the Abdication. The only difference is all the publicity and the fact that Diana was so photogenic. Eventually the people who knew here won't be around any more, and personal revelations will slow to a trickle.

im sure about Diana she been recorded taped of raped in 1990's im not sure what years she copy but the taboilds making newspaper about man who raped Diana but HM Queen thought Diana really influence at her sons!

Sara Boyce

chrissy57 said:
I think you are correct. I teach a Year 7 class (aged 11 - 12) and they don't even know who she was. Remember they were only 4 or 5 when she died and it didn't make an impact on them.
Hmm ... An interesting question. I think Elspeth makes a good point about this: Diana-mania will always be with us as long as there are people alive who remember Diana and think of her fondly and in awe. But once people who remember Diana and her life well pass on, likely whatever they shared with their children will fade away. I am in my mid-twenties and remember very well the wedding, the scandal, the divorce and ultimately the tragic death and funeral. Likely when I have children I'll pass along some of this interest but I'm sure that when my own children are grown up they'll think of Diana as some "kooky" interest of their mother's. And I think that even I am very rare in that not many (okay none) of my friends really care about Diana and would not in the least fawn over her or idolize her.

I do think however that when (if) William ascends to the throne there may be a bit of a wave of Diana re-fascination. He evokes his mother physically in many ways and if he succeeds his father there will likely be some attention paid to his tragic life and the pivitol role she played while she was still alive.

I think that no matter how much time is put between Diana's death and the present, there will always be waves of Diana-mania in that the media will drudge it up now and then, such as a milestone birthday Diana would've celebrated were she alive, the anniversary of her death, milestone occasions in William and Harry's life (marriages, birth of their children, etc.).

Look at JFK, Jackie and RFK. To some extent their children's successes and mis-steps keep them in the public eye but every November there is inevitably some mention about JFK's assassination. I think that for some people there will always be some level of fascination even if that fascination is not as intense as it was in the months and year after Diana's passing.

My daughter, age 9, yawns when I watch tapes or read books or talk about Diana. Means nothing to her except she thought she was pretty and has nice sons.......so, I agree, her generation will hear about Diana but not have the fixation we do. That's why I'm convinced anyone with stories/tapes/books to sell will cash in sooner rather than later.

Yes, I just read recently he was pleased to be getting "his" tapes back......as there was so much more to be learned from them.......Ratings sweep coming up.....and his tapes will emerge again! Rat.

hi all,
just as www outsider - I'm very interested in these Settelen tapes.
Occasionally I've seen "diana: secrets tapes" - and for me very important to see, what's the all fuss about Diana: revealed - just to make up my mind.
Did anyone record recent "Diana: revealed"?
Please, write me e-mail corbin@mail.ru - I'll be very grateful.
BR,
Corbin

Jon Stewart did an interesting bit on the tapes last night. Anne Curie, the host of the special was asking Peter whether he felt like he was exploiting Diana. I dont see NBC's airing of the tapes as any different.
That network has leapt upon every opportunity to air the multitude of Diana tapes out there.

maryshawn said:
One last question: When do you think Di-mania will cease? Ever? There is a generation who hardly knew her and could care less......they will be far more intrigued with her sons I would imagine.
I think we all know that Diana wasn't just a typical royal. She was a unique person. There's a countless number of people who aren't among us and yet we still remember them. The youger generation always grows up and learns about them. Besides, there's so much tv footage, pictures, books, on Diana out there, she is hardly in any danger of being forgotten.

The Tapes

Settleton said in most recent interview there are TWENTY OF THEM!!!!!! I was flicking channels and watched gaping while I think I heard Diana talk about her sex life with Charles! 1 time every 3 weeks. I don't need to hear this........do you?

Here´s some caps from the tapes

Attachments

• homevideo.jpg
    homevideo.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,444
  • homevideo3.jpg
    homevideo3.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 554
  • homevideo5.jpg
    homevideo5.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 415
  • homevideo6.jpg
    homevideo6.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 375
  • homevideo7.jpg
    homevideo7.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 391
This man is indeed getting money from these tapes but that isn't the whole point is it? It's alright to say that no one was meant to see them but if I wanted to discuss my marraige with someone I would have the conversation in private and wouldn't video it unless I intended other people to hear what was said. Diana is clearly angry at the way she was taken advantage of by her 32 year old husband at the age of 19 and it's alright to say she wouldn't want the boys to be hurt but obviously they were hurt anyway with how things had panned out and she wasn't going to let her husband off the hook in relation to his treatment of her. Would she be happy with Peter Shettleston?, it's hard to say, but she certainly wasn't happy with Charles' behaviour and it's obvious that through the Morton book, these tapes and God knows what else to come that she wanted us all to know about it.

i just dont know what too think... i understand its bad for these tapes to be released but i am intreged with her comments...

I watched the broadcast and was very embarrassed for her lack of discretion. To think that she would speak of such things to a person she barely knew (it's my understanding that this occurred on their 2nd meeting) let alone having it recorded!

Yes, 2nd meeting was when it occured

I agree. Would I speak of my sex life with someone I hardly knew--with a camera rolling, even worse. He was cajoling (He being Settleton) her into getting in touch with her real self and past so as to be more convincing in her speeches. In other words, he was playing role of therapist. The thing about Diana is she was so easily "led" by "therapists." Colonics twice a week......highly personal conversations with alternative therapists. She was doing so many types of alternative therapies by the end of her life, they were canceling each other out. If she wanted to leave her "story" for her sons, she could've set up her own recorder then locked it up and left it to them--for their eyes only. Has Prince Charles spoken out on the subject....or the boys? They're too dignified to likely do so but this is just horrid. And, yes, NBC is to blame too. I would LOVE to know what they paid!!!!! Any guesses or knowledge?

Peter Shettleston wasn't one of her therapists. He was her voice coach and a close friend for over six years. Diana proved herself to be, yes, very emotional , but also very shrewd. She knew exactly what she was doing in making these tapes.

I realized just yesterday that the guy played George Wickham on Pride and Prejudice in the 1980s.
He wasn't that bad. Wonder why he gave up acting. But I suppose working for Diana was a higher profile job...at least for him

Attachments

• Wickam.JPG
    Wickam.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 223
  • Wickam2.JPG
    Wickam2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 311
I think these tapes, revelations and other sensation stories do more damage to Diana than they to do Charles. They show that she had no discretion whatsoever; and could hardly keep anything private and confidential.

mabye she was upset... like think of it if u were engaged to a man who said whats love... for a start would be off putting... then she knew about his mistress... she did it to let everyone know what sort of a snake charles was... it may not have been the reason... though i have to admit being put in similar circumstances i would have done the same

The 2nd Round of Latest Diana Tapes

I saw the last 1/2 hour of tonight's Diana tapes on NBC. I didn't think it offensive......in fact, I found her practicing how to speak publicly very revealing and interesting. Did anyone catch the whole thing? Did I miss anything in the first 1/2 hour of interest?

Thanks.

Mary Shawn

Diana's video on NBC?

Where i can find it or the transcript?
raquel

Back
Top Bottom