The Spencer Family, Ancestry and Althorp 1: Ending Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the latest issue of World of Interiors (the British ed.). It includes a wonderful photo report about Althorp House from cellar to attic...
What a beautiful start Diana had in life ...
http://www.worldofinteriors.co.uk/

Diana, Princess of Wales moved to Althorp in her teens when her father inherited the estate and title of Earl. She did not like the house and was only there when school was not in session. This house you see is not the original Althorp. Raine, Princess Diana's step mother redecorated the whole house and sold many antiques and paintings to do it. Princess Diana's brother inherited the estate and title in 1992 and has put his imprint on Althrop.

Princess Diana had all the wealth you can want starting out in life, but was lonely inside and craved love.:flowers:

Can you imagine having that much "junk" in the attic. And I use the word junk very loosely, what a lovely treasure of historical items.

He's selling off what looks like 4 garter stars.
Some of the stuff I can't believe it's being sold.

:previous:
The Garter Stars aren't the originals (which are returned on the death of the holder), they are replicas made for and paid by various Spencers. The making of replicas is not uncommon.

I wonder why he is selling this stuff? Did he settle with the 2nd Countess, Caroline?

But I totally understand the need to get rid of things he isn't using. How many of us have BOXES of stuff in storage with things we haven't (or anyone else for the matter) touched in years?

There seems to be a discrepancy as to how much was made at the auction. The two articles posted state different amounts. :question:

There seems to be a discrepancy as to how much was made at the auction. The two articles posted state different amounts. :question:

The discrepancy is because the articles are from different days of the auction. The sale made the larger sum.:flowers:

Is Diana a Tudor?

Hi all,

I've just signed up and this is my first posting so go easy please. I've traced Diana back to the great Princess Mary Tudor through her paternal grandmothers side, Cynthia Elanor Hamilton. I see there is quite a bit of talk about whether or not Diana is a Stuart via Charles II progeny but I am correct in that she is in fact a legitimate Tudor descendant but mostly down female lines? Does a legitimate Tudor connection top a illegitimate Stuart claim?

Diana is also a descendant of the Este House of Ferrarra. I have the genealogy somewhere (it's mentioned on wikipedia under House of Este, I believe, but I did go verify that particular line).

Of course, over a period of something like 700 years, the Estes had plenty of time to distribute their genes/blood.

I have read that William was very unhappy about that eulogy, and considered it a direct attack on his father (to whom he is said to be exceptionally close).

As far as we know, William's Spencer cousins have no role in the wedding whatsoever. However, as the various wedding events occur, we may be able to get a better idea of William's relationship with the Spencers.

Well we now have the seating arrangement in Westminster Abby. The Spencers got a snub in my opinion, because they are sitting on the bride's side. All royal houses attending are on the groom's side after the royal family.

I guess we now know the relationship between Prince William and the Spencers.

Well we now have the seating arrangement in Westminster Abby. The Spencers got a snub in my opinion, because they are sitting on the bride's side. All royal houses attending are on the groom's side after the royal family.

I guess we now know the relationship between Prince William and the Spencers.

I think so too; I expected the Spencers to be seated behind the RF. The fact that they're not suggests they have deliberately been placed as far from the RF as they can reasonably be expected to get.

I think so too; I expected the Spencers to be seated behind the RF. The fact that they're not suggests they have deliberately been placed as far from the RF as they can reasonably be expected to get.

I didn't see it as a snub. I think William is honoring them by putting them in the first row but delicately maintaining the peace by separating them from the RF. Imo, it's a nice compromise.

I didn't see it as a snub. I think William is honoring them by putting them in the first row but delicately maintaining the peace by separating them from the RF. Imo, it's a nice compromise.

By royal standards I think it is a snub. I think all aristocrats are on the groom's side. Maybe your right about maintaining the peace. I don't think the Middleton's have a large family. All of Catherine's grandparents are died. Maybe the Spencers fill that space. Only a reply from BP will we know for sure.:):):):)

georgiea said:
By royal standards I think it is a snub. I think all aristocrats are on the groom's side.

It split Royals/NonRoyals NOT bride and groom like a regular wedding- the Spencers have not been snubbed they just aren't royals....

It split Royals/NonRoyals NOT bride and groom like a regular wedding- the Spencers have not been snubbed they just aren't royals....

They might not be royals but they are aristocrats and from the grooms side. I feel like Diana, Princess of Wales is being shun in death like after her divorce.

I feel like Diana, Princess of Wales is being shun in death like after her divorce.

In my humble opinion - and it is just my opinion though - I don't think that Diana Princess of Wales is being shunned in any way.

To me, the very fact that Prince William gave his late mother's ring to Catherine, stating that he wanted his mother to be part of his wedding is proof that Diana, Princess of Wales is not being shunned. I am also sure that there will be various touching references to the late Princess at the wedding. The appearance of Diana's earings is one possibility that has been mentioned; there might also be the use of one of Diana's tiaras...perhaps even a sprig of some flowers from Althorp in her bouquet.

In am also sure that in his Best Man's Speech, Harry may well allude to his late mother. I don't think there is any possibility whatsoever that Diana, Princess of Wales will not be mentioned at the Wedding.

The fact that Earl Spencer's placement does not seem particularly prominent does not necessary mean [in my view] that the memory of his sister Diana is being shunned at the wedding. I come to this view on the following basis:

Perhaps the clearest indication is that we are continually being told by Buckingham Palace that all decisions about the wedding are being made by Prince William and Catherine - in other words, that they have a very hands-on role in the organisation, and the RF is not just riding roughshod over their wishes. I am therefore sure that Earl Spencer's placement is entirely satisfactory to Prince William - in other words, Earl Spencer has been seated where Prince William wants him.

In my own view, I am also not entirely sure how close Prince William actually is to his Uncle. Obviously none of us is privy to precisely what goes on 'behind the scenes', but from what I have seen [or rather not seen] reported, there has been very little contact between the adult Prince William and his Uncle. For example, there has been no recorded visit at Althorp by the Prince in order to 'show his fiance' off to his Uncle. I also cannot think offhand of any recent visits to his Uncle by Prince William as an adult - for example to stay at Althorp, to shoot at Althorp etc.

My own interpretation - and I stress it is my own view - is that Prince William was probably not terribly happy in retrospect with Earl Spencer's speech at Diana's funeral. Whilst I have seen constant references to 'how marvellous the speech was', could I say here in my own humble view, that I was not entirely happy with what was being said by Charles Spencer. It was after all, a funeral, and it is just my own personal view that sometimes it is more dignified to leave out acrimonious comments, however heartfelt or even justified they seem to be. The gist of Earl Spencer's remarks could have been taken as being deeply insulting to the Prince of Wales - and the two Princes have always had a warm and loving relationship with their father, which to me suggests that the two Princes did not find the Prince of Wales the ogre that Earl Spencer appeared to me to be depicting.

There is another reason to me whilst Earl Spencer's funeral speech seemed to be inappropriate.... and it is this - at the end of the day, Earl Spencer's private life seemed to be no better than that of the Prince of Wales who he was apparently criticising: Later we learned about the allegations of the cruel treatment by Earl Spencer of his wife Victoria Lockwood; we also learned about Earl Spencer's own infidelities when Sally Anne Lasson revealed to the tabloids about Earl Spencer's adulterous relationship with her. In other words, Earl Spencer seemed to have been somewhat hypocritical, and I daresay that this will not have been lost on Prince William in hindsight.

In my humble opinion, these various things do indicate to me that the relationship between Prince William and Earl Spencer is not particularly warm...

Just my thoughts.

Alex

Last edited:
Diarist said:
Perhaps the clearest indication is that we are continually being told by Buckingham Palace that all decisions about the wedding are being made by Prince William and Catherine - in other words, that they have a very hands-on role in the organisation, and the RF is not just riding roughshod over their wishes. I am therefore sure that Earl Spencer's placement is entirely satisfactory to Prince William - in other words, Earl Spencer has been seated where Prince William wants him.

Well said - I agree

Last edited:
The fact that Earl Spencer's placement does not seem particularly prominent does not necessary mean [in my view] that the memory of his sister Diana is being shunned at the wedding...
I agree; I don't think the placement of the Spencers has anything to do with shunning Diana; it's all about Earl Spencer.

There are those who say we simply don't know much about their relationship or what goes on behind the doors of the palace. But William is photographed everywhere he goes, and if he spent much time with the Spencers, we'd know about it! But I have only ever heard of William occasionally seeing his aunts...never any mention of his uncle.

William can't actually exclude Earl Spencer, but he can indicate he doesn't want him near his father or his father's family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom