The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #421  
Old 04-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Freehold, New Jersey,, United States
Posts: 110
One more thing:
I tried to search and see if Diana was related to any Irish, Scottish, Habsburg or Russian monarchs/nobles. I couldn't find anything.
Was she related to any of the four, if not all?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 04-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 642
Irish & Scottish - yes, the Spencers belonged to the English nobility and married into other noble families including Scottish & Irish, also Welsh for tht matter. Also, Diana was a descendant of King James I (also James VI of Scotland), son of Mary Queen of Scots and Henry Lord Darnley from the Scottish nobility.

Habsburg; yes, she was a descendant of Archduchess Johanna, the daughter of Emperor Ferdinand I. Here's one line:

Ferdinand I (1503-1564) > Johanna (1547-1578) > Marie de Medici (1575-1642) > Henrietta Maria (1609-1669) > King Charles II (1630-1685) > (follow the line I posted above)

Russia: Yes, through her royal ancestors (including James I of England and Henry IV of Frances) she descended from the Rurik dynasty who ruled in Russia during the middle ages.

Check this website for a list of Diana's ancestors for 12 generations. Click on a name for information about that person:

Lady Diana Spencer: Genealogics
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Freehold, New Jersey,, United States
Posts: 110
How many UK noble families (marchionesses, earls, dukes, etc.) is Diana descended from?
And I also have the book "Ancestry of the Royal Child" by Iain Moncreiffe. How much of what is written in the book is still proven uncertain?
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 12,198
For the life of me, I can't remember if I've posted this or not but its a real hoot when you get the connection.

I see you're in New Jersey. This is fun to do. On Wednesday nights, there is a show on NBC called "Chicago Med". If you tune into that show and see a character called Dr. Daniel Charles, a psychiatrist, he is played by Oliver Platt who just happens to be related to Diana, Princess of Wales in several ways.

Most people forget that Diana had pretty recent American ancestry too.

https://famouskin.com/famous-kin-cha...by+burke+roche

https://famouskin.com/famous-kin-cha...iii+of+england
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 7,778
Well the Spencer-Churchills are one of the grandest families in the realm.

The senior line is the Duke of Marlborough, the cadet family line is Earl Spencer.

Diana is well connected.
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
How many UK noble families (marchionesses, earls, dukes, etc.) is Diana descended from?
And I also have the book "Ancestry of the Royal Child" by Iain Moncreiffe. How much of what is written in the book is still proven uncertain?
Diana descends from many, many UK noble families. For example:

FATHER: John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer

GRANDFATHERS: John Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer & Maurice Roche, 4th Baron Fermoy

GREAT-GRANDFATHERS: Charles Spencer, 6th Earl Spencer; James Hamilton, 3rd Duke of Abercorn; James Roche, 3rd Baron Fermoy

GREAT-GREAT-GRANDFATHERS: Frederick Spencer, 4th Earl Spencer; Edward Baring, 1st Baron Revelstoke; James Hamilton, 2nd Duke of Abercorn; George Bingham, 4th Earl of Lucan; Edmund Roche, 1st Baron Fermoy

The link to Diana's 12-generation ancestors is broken so I'm re-posting the URL here. Just copy & paste it in your web browser. Be sure to remove the space between http:// and genealogics.

http:// genealogics.org/ahnentafel.php?personID=I00000174&tree=LEO&parentset=0&generations=12

Once you're on the site, click on a person's name for more information about them, or to trace their ancestors back more generations.

I also recommend the following book:

Richard K. Evans, The Ancestry of Diana, Princess of Wales (New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2007).
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 04-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Freehold, New Jersey,, United States
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Diana descends from many, many UK noble families. For example:

FATHER: John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer

GRANDFATHERS: John Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer & Maurice Roche, 4th Baron Fermoy

GREAT-GRANDFATHERS: Charles Spencer, 6th Earl Spencer; James Hamilton, 3rd Duke of Abercorn; James Roche, 3rd Baron Fermoy

GREAT-GREAT-GRANDFATHERS: Frederick Spencer, 4th Earl Spencer; Edward Baring, 1st Baron Revelstoke; James Hamilton, 2nd Duke of Abercorn; George Bingham, 4th Earl of Lucan; Edmund Roche, 1st Baron Fermoy

The link to Diana's 12-generation ancestors is broken so I'm re-posting the URL here. Just copy & paste it in your web browser. Be sure to remove the space between http:// and genealogics.

http:// genealogics.org/ahnentafel.php?personID=I00000174&tree=LEO&parentset=0&generations=12

Once you're on the site, click on a person's name for more information about them, or to trace their ancestors back more generations.

I also recommend the following book:

Richard K. Evans, The Ancestry of Diana, Princess of Wales (New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2007).
I've been on Genealogics many times. But, from my desktop, when go on the website and try to trace the relationships between two people, it always says "Searching", even after one hour. So I just close the window.

Although, a while ago (on the site), I did successfully trace the relationship between Diana and Rainier III of Monaco (who I consider Mr. Grace Kelly). There are three different lines I found. I even have the screenshots on my iPad!
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 04-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 642
I've used Genealogics to trace a person's ancestors or descendants but never cousins. Maybe it's not very good at that.

You can pick one of Diana's ancestors - say James I or Charles I or Henri IV of Frances - and generate a list of their descendants. Obviously they would be Diana's (distant) cousins.
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 04-10-2018, 01:16 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Freehold, New Jersey,, United States
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I've used Genealogics to trace a person's ancestors or descendants but never cousins. Maybe it's not very good at that.

You can pick one of Diana's ancestors - say James I or Charles I or Henri IV of Frances - and generate a list of their descendants. Obviously they would be Diana's (distant) cousins.
True.
I also remember reading that Diana is a direct descendant of Maria Theres(i)a's [Archduchess of Austria] husband Francis. Is this true?
And is she a direct descendant of any of the Bonapartes? (i.e. Louis or Jerome.... Napoleon's brothers)
I tried to put Prince Philip & Louis Bonaparte in the system on Genealogics, and my computer crashed.
I remember reading that Prince Philip is a direct descendant of Louis, but I am not sure if this is a valid claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
For the life of me, I can't remember if I've posted this or not but its a real hoot when you get the connection.

I see you're in New Jersey. This is fun to do. On Wednesday nights, there is a show on NBC called "Chicago Med". If you tune into that show and see a character called Dr. Daniel Charles, a psychiatrist, he is played by Oliver Platt who just happens to be related to Diana, Princess of Wales in several ways.

Most people forget that Diana had pretty recent American ancestry too.

https://famouskin.com/famous-kin-cha...by+burke+roche

https://famouskin.com/famous-kin-cha...iii+of+england
I've never seen the show, but I have heard good things about it! And I have heard Oliver is a cousin of Diana.
I also remember seeing that someone's 4 or 5x great-granddaughter was Catharina of Wurttemberg; I don't remember the person's name, but I believe Diana is a direct descendant of the person (or Catharina). I'm definitely not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 04-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
True.
I also remember reading that Diana is a direct descendant of Maria Theres(i)a's [Archduchess of Austria] husband Francis. Is this true?
And is she a direct descendant of any of the Bonapartes? (i.e. Louis or Jerome.... Napoleon's brothers)
I tried to put Prince Philip & Louis Bonaparte in the system on Genealogics, and my computer crashed.
I remember reading that Prince Philip is a direct descendant of Louis, but I am not sure if this is a valid claim.
No, Diana was not a descendant of Maria Theresa's husband Francis or the Bonapartes.

Prince Philip isn't a Bonaparte descendant either. His uncle Prince George of Greece married Marie Bonaparte who was the great-granddaughter of Napoleon and Louis Bonaparte's brother Lucien.
Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 04-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Freehold, New Jersey,, United States
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
No, Diana was not a descendant of Maria Theresa's husband Francis or the Bonapartes.

Prince Philip isn't a Bonaparte descendant either. His uncle Prince George of Greece married Marie Bonaparte who was the great-granddaughter of Napoleon and Louis Bonaparte's brother Lucien.
What are some of the (notable) Austrian & French relatives of Diana then?
Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old 04-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
I've never seen the show, but I have heard good things about it! And I have heard Oliver is a cousin of Diana.
I also remember seeing that someone's 4 or 5x great-granddaughter was Catharina of Wurttemberg; I don't remember the person's name, but I believe Diana is a direct descendant of the person (or Catharina). I'm definitely not sure.
Are you thinking of Catharina of Wurttemberg who married Napoleon Bonaparte's brother Jerome? She is the ancestor of the current head of the Bonaparte family.

Catharina was the daughter of King Frederick I of Wurttemberg and his first wife Augusta of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel. Her stepmother was Princess Charlotte, the daughter of King George III of Great Britain & Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

Catharina's mother Augusta of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel was the daughter of Duke Charles of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel and Princess Augusta, who the daughter of Frederick Prince and Wales and George III's oldest sister.

Augusta was the older sister of Caroline of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel who married George IV.

So Catharina was:
(1) the great-granddaughter of Frederick Prince of Wales
(2) the great-niece of King George III
(3) the niece of Queen Caroline, wife of George IV
(4) a first cousin of Princess Charlotte, who would have become Queen Regnant had she not died in childbirth in 1817
Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
What are some of the (notable) Austrian & French relatives of Diana then?
Austrian: Diana was a direct descendant of the Archduchess Johanna (1547-1578), daughter of Emperor Ferdinand I. Johanna married Francesco de Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany.

Ferdinand I was the ancestor all the Holy Roman Emperors who succeeded him, including the Empress Maria Theresa.

French: Diana was also a descendant of King Henri IV of France (1553-1610). He married Marie de Medici, the daughter of the Archduchess Johanna. Henri IV and Marie were the parents of Queen Henrietta Maria, the wife of King Charles I.

Henri IV and Marie were also the ancestors of all the French kings who succeeded him, as well as the Bourbon dynasties of Spain, Sicily, and Parma.
Reply With Quote
  #434  
Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Freehold, New Jersey,, United States
Posts: 110
Would that make her cousins (possibly several times removed) with the French kings and Austrian Holy Roman Emperors?
Reply With Quote
  #435  
Old 04-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
Would that make her cousins (possibly several times removed) with the French kings and Austrian Holy Roman Emperors?
Yes, and all the other European royal families who are descendants of Emperor Ferdinand I and King Henri IV including Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein.

If you already haven't, you might want to look at Paul Theroff's website. For example, scroll down the page to see "The Descendants of James I." James I is the ancestor of almost all the European royal families and (through the illegitimate children of Charles II and James II) most of the British nobility.

The Theroff Files

He also has information on other European royal and noble families:

An Online Gotha
Reply With Quote
  #436  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Freehold, New Jersey,, United States
Posts: 110
Thank you for the info! I'll be sure to look it all up.
Also: I found out about Anne of Bohemia, who was married to Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor. Is she related to Diana or the U.K. Royal Family?
Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old 04-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth2Fan View Post
Thank you for the info! I'll be sure to look it all up.
Also: I found out about Anne of Bohemia, who was married to Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor. Is she related to Diana or the U.K. Royal Family?
Yes, Anne of Bohemia the wife of Emperor Ferdinand I was the mother of Diana's ancestor the Archduchess Johanna.

Anne and Ferdinand were also the parents of Archduchess Maria who married William, Duke of Cleves-Julich-Berg. Maria and William were the ancestors of both Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip.
Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old 04-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 12,198
Actually, if anyone has any kind of European ancestry and you go back to the time of the Holy Roman Empire and Charlemagne, the chances are very good that you are also related to the same ancestors as Diana, Princess of Wales.

Its more rare to find out that you are not related to Charlemagne than it is to be related to him somehow. We have to remember that there were several epidemics of the plague that wiped out a large percentage of the population all over. It is the survivors that are the ancestors of just about every living human being of European descent.

A lot of Diana's ancestry just may be your own too.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #439  
Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 642
Yes, because of pedigree collapse we are all probably descendants of Charlemagne.

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwic...lemagne-riddle
Reply With Quote
  #440  
Old 05-03-2018, 12:00 PM
tihkon2's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Stafford, United States
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Yes, because of pedigree collapse we are all probably descendants of Charlemagne.

https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwic...lemagne-riddle
That works in theory, but in practice, probably not so much. It doesn't really take into account the massive amounts of inter marriage between the royal and noble families over 1000 years. Sure, Charlemagne's descendants probably number in the millions, but no, not everyone or even most people would be direct descendants of him.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, genealogy, museum, princess diana


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charles Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer and Family sara1981 Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 1033 10-21-2018 03:19 PM
Was 'The Oval' in Althorp the right place to bury Diana? TheTruth Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 147 10-21-2007 01:53 PM




Popular Tags
antony armstrong-jones british royal family britishroyals camilla clothes commonwealth games crown princess victoria current events current events thread daughters denmark discussão documentary duchessofcambridge duchess of sussex duke of york dutch royal family fashion felipe vi forum general royal discussion genetics gloucester gordon hasnat khan iñaki urdangarín jack brooksbank juan carlos kate middleton king felipe and queen letizia current events king willem-alexander ladies-in-waiting letizia meghan markle member monarchy porphyria prince charles prince charles; biographies; tom bower prince harry prince harry of wales prince laurent princenapoleon prince of belgium princess alexia princess beatrice princess claire princess diana princess eugenie queen elisabeth queen elizabeth queen maxima quizz remarriage royal royal ancestry royal geneology royal wedding sarah duchess of york state visit surname sweden swedish royal family swedish royal registry tradition visit from spain visit from sweden wedding windsor castle windsor wedding



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises