The Panorama Interview: November 20, 1995

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm surprised to think of Philip trying to "appease" her, I think he meant well to her, but he grew increasingly annoyed by her behaviour...

Yes, it was very bad of Diana. I sympathised with her at the time, because I felt sorry for her and was more inclined to blame Charles for the failure of the marriage. But even at the time, even sympathising, I was beginning to see that things had gotten out of hand and she was the one who started it and seemed to be keeping it going.

A bit late to the party..but if I understand the term 'appease', you are referencing a series of letters between them designed to help salvage the marriage in some way, which forged a degree of friendship between Diana and Philip. Though formerly on frosty terms, Diana was said to enjoy his letters a great deal.

Have not read of Philip's consternation or reaction to the interview..

Last edited:
A bit late to the party..but if I understand the term 'appease', you are referencing a series of letters between them designed to help salvage the marriage in some way, which forged a degree of friendship between Diana and Philip. Though formerly on frosty terms, Diana was said to enjoy his letters a great deal.

Have not read of Philip's consternation or reaction to the interview..

I wouldn't say it created a degree of friendship. I think that Philip writing to her was to try and shake her into some kind of public salvaging of the marriage.. As I recall he said that he would not have thought that Charles would leave her for Camilla but he also asked her to consider that her own behaviour might have driven C away. I don't think it was all that much of a friendship. I think he felt sorry for her and didn't approve of C's affair, but he could see that Diana's own behaviour was difficult.. and while he did have some degree of sympathy, he was mostly concnered to try and sort things out...

Philip never made any comment about the Interview nor has the queen but Im sure they were boht furious and appalled..

Philip never made any comment about the Interview nor has the queen but Im sure they were boht furious and appalled..

I follow the logic pretty well, as many express this view. A large portion of people found empathy for the RF, suddenly put in an awkward position. That is pretty much the de facto way of seeing it. Unlike others, I don't believe that was her real motivation to be interviewed, as much as there was a distaste having the public in the dark on a number of fronts..in the habit of holding to an idealized image, while knowing little else. The interview is very benign at the outset; she simply takes a number of basic questions of their first years together, explaining calmly that the marriage was "a fairy story that everyone wanted to work.."

In terms of showing any upset on her part there was none. Softspoken, composed throughout it, she simply lets the viewer decide. That was a class move on her part, and it's mostly overlooked.

Last edited:
Why did she need to tell the public about her marriage? I know that Charles foolishly did something similar in his interview, but I think he did it as a once off, becuae he was understandably angry that Diana was winning the PR war, and het thought that if he went on TV and spoke hs mind, the public would listen to HIM nad believe his side of the story. But Diana had "started it" with Morton and was better at putting herself across, publicly.. than Charles was and he would have been better not to reply to her. However, Diana then went further and spoke not only about her marriage, about her affair, but also about the succession.. whch was what finally drove the queen to say they had to get a divorce.

Why did she need to tell the public about her marriage?

I think that's a great question..

Had the rest of England, Europe, and every other continent been less consumed by the relationship, it becomes doubtful she would ever have done so. But to spend fifteen years of your life while several-hundred random sources take precedent in defining you, and sometimes in a not very ingenious manner..cannot be a healthy situation for almost anyone.

Last edited:
I agree with you, Elan. There had been a thousand stories written about the Wales marriage, admittedly some planted by both sides. IMO, Diana wanted to get the truth out there. Yes it was her truth, but then we all carry our particular truths within us. After the marital separation Diana could see the range of powerful resources the Palace and the POW had at their disposal.

I think that's a great question..

Had the rest of England, Europe, and every other continent been less consumed by the relationship, it becomes doubtful she would ever have done so. But to spend fifteen years of your life while several-hundred random sources take precedent in defining you, and sometimes in a not very ingenious manner..cannot be a healthy situation for almost anyone.

I have to believe that with all the unhappiness in her married, private life, the adulation and the interest in her and the crowds that would come out to see her had to be a balancing effect on her self esteem.

Many sources I've read do mention that Diana had low self esteem issues and it was a factor in her bulimia. She took to heart a simple statement said by Charles when they were courting. He put his arms around her waist and said "getting a little chubby are we?" in a teasing manner. She took it seriously. The public hanging on her every word and deed was a balancing factor for Diana and she *was* good with meeting and greeting the public and with the causes she was involved with.

I don't think we'll ever really know the real motives behind her Panorama interview but it was the straw that broke the camel's back. If this had happened way back when and she admitted to an affair with Hewitt, she very well could have lost her head for infidelity, treason and disloyalty to the Crown ala Anne Boleyn.

Last edited:
Why did either of them need to tell the world about their marriage? Both of them were wrong to air all their laundry.

Seeing an interview with him talking about committing adultery and then her talking about committing adultery ...served no purpose except to add more gossip to the mill ..and 20 years later it's till being talked about.

They should of thought about their sons.

LaRae

I tend to agree with Pranter on this and it has been a view of mine since it all happened.

Such an interview would never happen today, I'm sure of it - certainly nit my a member of the royal family. In that context, it goes to show how much has changed since then and the old - and safe - adage, "never explain, never complain" is the best course of action under any circumstances.

I agree with you, Elan. There had been a thousand stories written about the Wales marriage, admittedly some planted by both sides. IMO, Diana wanted to get the truth out there. Yes it was her truth, but then we all carry our particular truths within us. After the marital separation Diana could see the range of powerful resources the Palace and the POW had at their disposal.

She certainly did when the queen virtually ordered her to get a divorce...

Last edited:
The Queen and Prince Edward being terminally ill.

Now there's a new one for me. Over the years after seeing the Panorama interview, read the transcipt from the interview and myriads of interpretations of the Panorama interview, the Queen and Edward being terminally ill has never registered with me at any time.

Then again, I suppose it could be considered a "truth" solely because life, as we know it, is a terminal disease. We start working towards our death from the moment we take our first breath in this world.

Then again, its the Daily Fail and I don't click on Daily Fail articles. I'm allergic to them. :lol:

I haven't read this yet so can't evaluate it but I think that recently, the Diana chatterers have been trying to spin out the Panorama story again and find a new angle on it.. so now, it is about "why did Diana do it?" and claims that seh was pressured or gulled into it. I think there may have been some degree of manipulation which helped but underlying it was the fact that Diana wanted to speak out..And that seh was in a paranoid and unhappy frame of mind which made her suspectible to being encouraged to give Bashir his scoop.

Personally I think there should be a independent investigation into this horrible behavior. It must be remembered that Diana believed she could manipulate the press and that many were on her side. The fact that they were manipulating her at her most personal insecurities is beyond sad and disgusting. This must have increased her paranoid and it is not as if she could discuss it with he Queen or the palace. Essentially this is emotional blackmail and although not illegal or beyond unethical.
Surprised the other news hasn't caught on this story. Or that Harry and William haven't made a comment.

Personally I think there should be a independent investigation into this horrible behavior. It must be remembered that Diana believed she could manipulate the press and that many were on her side. The fact that they were manipulating her at her most personal insecurities is beyond sad and disgusting. This must have increased her paranoid and it is not as if she could discuss it with he Queen or the palace. Essentially this is emotional blackmail and although not illegal or beyond unethical.
Surprised the other news hasn't caught on this story. Or that Harry and William haven't made a comment.

Will and Harry wont make comments IMO. I think they just try and ignore ongoing stories about their mother, and feel that to say things just drags the whole story on and on. It was very wrong of hte BBC but - I think that Diana did want a chance to talk about her marriage, she wanted a right of reply to Charles' interview and his admission of adultery....

Now there's a new one for me. Over the years after seeing the Panorama interview, read the transcipt from the interview and myriads of interpretations of the Panorama interview, the Queen and Edward being terminally ill has never registered with me at any time.

Edward been ill with a long term illness was a common thing the royal press would discuss in the 1980 and early 1990's. The palace was asked about it then and were told that the health of the royals is private and not discussed. It stems from a lot of things - When Edward left the Marines it was rumored that he had failed the physical or mental examination. The tabloid press have openly asked him if he is HIV positive or has AIDS. So you will often see the press describing him as weak or fragile.
Edward maintains a very small circle of privacy and really nothing gets out about his personal life. But there is a lot of little things over the years that have made people suspicious about his health. It all however can be people finding evidence for an assumption.

But I can see why Diana would have believed it.

It does absolutely no good to rewrite history. Diana's Panorama interview happened. She did it willingly whether she was coerced, cajoled, promised the moon and the stars or not. The Diana in that interview was the Diana she wanted the world to see. She *knew* it would be aired on the Queen and Philip's wedding anniversary and didn't do anything to change that. That tells me she *was* aiming at Charles' family and not only Charles.

Diana may have thought that she was "thick as a brick" but she was not stupid. She was amazingly cunning and manipulative when she wanted to be. When she knew she has press in her pocket (she even called Richard Kay of the Daily Mail just days before she died), she blatantly knew she could use them. If that was a double edge sword, so be it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...l-RICHARD-KAY-recalls-final-conversation.html

Personally, I do not see Diana as the "poor victim" in anything to do with the Panorama interview. What I do see is an interview that was the last straw that broke the camel's back and almost immediately afterwards, brought about the order from the Queen to divorce. Diana played her cards. And lost.

She could not have done it willingly if she was indeed coerced... If she was cajoled into it, that's one thing but being coerced essentially means she did not doi it willingly.
Re Edward I've never heard that he was ill, or that he had HIV or describing him as weak and fragile. If he hadn't been fit to be in the Marines Im sure that they would have had him do the tests beforehand and not gone in for it if he wasn't fit enough..

She could not have done it willingly if she was indeed coerced... If she was cajoled into it, that's one thing but being coerced essentially means she did not doi it willingly.
Re Edward I've never heard that he was ill, or that he had HIV or describing him as weak and fragile. If he hadn't been fit to be in the Marines Im sure that they would have had him do the tests beforehand and not gone in for it if he wasn't fit enough..

I just don't believe Diana was obtuse enough to be coerced into doing something she didn't want to do. If there was evidence that she was threatened or blackmailed, that's a totally different story. Even Diana's personal protection officer, Ken Wharfe, has gone on record about Diana doing things "her way". So no. I believe she did that interview willingly with full intent of what her story would be and she was *not* a victim in any way, shape or form.

The BBC has now agreed that it will conduct an investigation, following Earl Spencer's demands.

A lot of people have been besmirched by the claims made by the BBC.

It must be awful for them ... unless they are also as outraged as Charles Spencer and want the whole thing cleared up.

Although some were only said to be friends of Diana ... passing on information at a London restaurant etc ... others were serious professionals and named, and then accused of outrageous things. And in most cases for money.

A real can of worms is opening up.

I think the Earl has the bit between his teeth and has no reason to let go, especially now.

The BBC has already admitted it had one of it's graphic-designers create some false documents, so the wall of denial is starting to crumble.

Agree though, that although the Earl was able to see the falseness by the end of the first meeting in the friend's South Kensington flat ... and thought Diana did too ... it suited the Princess to use the offer to get her side out to the public.

She wanted out of the marriage, her freedom and the chance for a second life and more children.

But the behaviour of the tax-payer funded BBC in it's claims about Ms Legge-Bourke, Patrick Jephson, Commander Aylard etc., was outrageous.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ashir-Princess-Dianas-Panorama-interview.html

Last edited:
I just don't believe Diana was obtuse enough to be coerced into doing something she didn't want to do. If there was evidence that she was threatened or blackmailed, that's a totally different story. Even Diana's personal protection officer, Ken Wharfe, has gone on record about Diana doing things "her way". So no. I believe she did that interview willingly with full intent of what her story would be and she was *not* a victim in any way, shape or form.

IF you beleieve she did it willingly she could not have been coerced. That would mean that she was forced into it...

IF you beleieve she did it willingly she could not have been coerced. That would mean that she was forced into it...

She did it willingly whether she was coerced, cajoled, promised the moon and the stars or not.

I never said she was coerced. What my sentence (quoted) meant that *regardless* if there was coercion, a whole lot of cajoling or she was promised the moon and the stars, she went into the interview of her own free will with intents and purposes to put across to the people *exactly* the Diana she wanted them to see and hear.

You're trying to coerce me into stating I used the wrong terms in my sentence. I am stating that I used the words I did *exactly* as I meant to use them. I stand by my words *of my own free will* despite there being coercion.

Good example eh? :D

Rebecca English with more revelations.

Claims BBC boss Lord Hall knew of the falsehoods used by the corporation.

Also, that a hunt was ordered for the moles who leaked the whole affair.

Sixty-seven documents revealed in a Freedom of Information action.

(Not forgetting Lord Spencer's extensive notes as revealed in previous reports.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ashir-Princess-Dianas-Panorama-interview.html

Last edited:
I am so disgusted with this - before this broke I was respectful of Bashir as a fellow journalist and documentarian - now I am beyond destroyed.

It is unethical in every single meaning of the word to have done this - and I know many people think that it should be brushed away as Diana is dead and such. But I really think that the world should know that this was done as it changes everything.
What Bashir did to Princess is a horrible form of manipulation that amounts to physiological and emotional abuse. I checked yesterday and this is a technique used on criminals and spies, why was a journalist using it on a member of the royal family.

Bashir alienated her from the palace and increase her anxiety and paranoid with this nonsense - increasing the likelihood that she would talk to the BCC and give a more explosive interview. He manipulated what she was thinking, so essentially brainwashing. They played on her emotions and insecurities - so I would say she was not in the place to give consent to that interview.

Last edited:
I think that Diana was manipulated certianly but Im not all that surprised as there have been hints about this story for some time. And If she had been dead agains the idea of an interview I think she would have ignored his activiites but she did want to talk publcily about her marriage...just as she allowed Peter Settelen to discuss private matters and tape her doing this..
And as Bashir is apparently now ill, Im surprised why it has suddenly become a big issue

The fox tells the farmer, "Something has been killing the chickens and so I will step up with my integrity and investigate the matter." The fox enters the hen house and looks at his watch. He looks at his watch. He looks at his watch and then says to himself, "That should be enough time for an investigation." He walks out and says to the farmer and all the farm animals, "Natural death. Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along." (The BBC is investigating itself...lol.).

These news corporations like the BBC, CNN, Fox, etc. etc. all have one thing in common and that is to make a huge profit. That is fine but they all have a percentage of people who work for them that are ambitious, crooked, and lacking integrity. I constantly warn my friends to stop buying their yellow trash. Shame them and hit them where it hurts and not buy their products, papers, and openly doubt every word they spew. (I dumped my Twitter account for censoring political parties).

When their sales drop off that is when the real 'investigation' starts and heads will roll. Look for legitimate honest reporting by smaller companies that do have integrity. Shame on the BBC and who ever created this mess. I think they tricked Charles Spencer and Diana both with false documents in order to get the Bashir interview. That is my opinion only and its based on the stench.

The BBC is a publc service company.....

The BBC is a publc service company.....

And should try to be neutral, not pushing an agenda and not manipulate the news/interview. The argument of "changing/manipulating the narrative for the sake of increasing rating" is out of the window. The Panorama Interview is not Strictly Come Dancing, Eastenders, Pointless, Have I got news for you or even Question Time.

There is already a campaign to defund the BBC for being bias in reporting. Frankly, I think 2020 has not been a great year for the BBC.

Last edited:
I think that Diana was manipulated certianly but Im not all that surprised as there have been hints about this story for some time. And If she had been dead agains the idea of an interview I think she would have ignored his activiites but she did want to talk publcily about her marriage...just as she allowed Peter Settelen to discuss private matters and tape her doing this..
And as Bashir is apparently now ill, Im surprised why it has suddenly become a big issue

Settelen took advantage of Diana's death to run those tapes. I doubt if she had lived he would have dared. Those tapes may well have been destroyed by Diana had she known she had not many years left to live. This was supposed to be a help for her speech lessons and she trusted the man too much. People who are quite old or are sick would take pains to get rid of diaries or anything personal before they die.

Back
Top Bottom