The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Courtier

I also disagree that she did the Panorama interview because she felt threatened. What was the threat at that particular point in time? I think she did it because she wanted a divorce then. She wanted other children--motherhood was the focus of her life--and she was not happy with the status quo. She had started the relationship with Hasnat Khan and her biological clock was starting to tick.

I believe the purpose of the Panorama interview was to try and hurt Charles's public image so badly that he would be forced to step aside and William would be the next king. She underestimated the strength of tradition within the royal family. She succeeded in wounding Charles, but she failed to get him to step aside. The real problem was that she failed to consider how her interview would impact Harry and William.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with you. I think the Panorama interview was probably the one incident that caused HM to call an end to the charade of the Wales' marriage. It probably was just not what Diana was expecting, and it was probably a complete surprise to her.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Serene Highness

I imagine one way to get out of a royal marriage would be to go on TV and bash the royal family or say things which would anger or upset them. I remember watching the 1995 interview and thinking to myself that the interview would most likely anger or upset members of the British royal family.

By this time 1995, both wanted to be out of the marriage, although I think Prince Charles would have probably stayed in the marriage, if Diana hadn't gone so public about their private lives. I think she knew that by doing so chances were that a divorce would be granted.

Princess Diana is probably the only person who would get away with the 1995 interview because as I've seen in earlier blogs there is nothing that the royal family could do (legally, criminally or civilly ) without them looking bad or looking like they were getting back at Diana.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23
Actually the Panorama interview came in the wake of two things...Charles' summer 1995 interviews with Jonathan Dimbleby with his public admission of his adultery with his "friend" Camilla Parker-Bowles, and also the revelation that Diana had been making nuisance phone calls to her former lover Oliver Hoare.
I don't think your timeline is correct. Prince Charles' interview with Jonathan Dimbleby aired in June of 1994. The nuisance calls to Oliver Hoare's wife ended in October of 1993 and the News of the World broke the story in August of 1994. The Hewitt book was published in October 1994.

Diana's Panorama interview aired on November 20, 1995--more than one year after all three events. Why did she wait for more than a year if she were concerned about the impact on her reputation? In don't know what the law is in Great Britain, but I suspect it is the same as in the U.S. where it is not possible to hospitalize someone for something that happened more than a year before.

According to Vanity Fair, Diana met Hasnat Khan on September 1, 1995 and was immediately drawn to him. She was involved enough to send him flowers in November 1995. and was spotted by a News of the World reporter outside the hospital on November 30, 1995.

Diana’s Love for Hasnat Khan—The Only One Who Would Never Betray Her | Vanity Fair
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
I imagine one way to get out of a royal marriage would be to go on TV and bash the royal family or say things which would anger or upset them. I remember watching the 1995 interview and thinking to myself that the interview would most likely anger or upset members of the British royal family.
Exactly. Diana said that she didn't want a divorce, but that the situation needed "clarity." There were only three options: the status quo, a reconciliation, or a divorce. Diana made it clear she didn't want the status quo and she knew there was no way there would be a reconciliation. She didn't want to be the one to ask for a divorce but she knowingly forced the situation.

I also think that it hit her harder than she thought it would, as is often the case. Even though she was ready to go on with her life, she still mourned the marriage.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the timeline correction Royal Watcher, I appreciate it. But even though the scandal stories had broken some months previously, Diana(right or wrong) was convinced there was an ongoing whispering campaign against her, instigated by her husband and his circle with the ultimate goal of having her perceived in the public mind as a madwoman. It was in this atmosphere of paranoia and mistrust that Diana contacted Bashir and set up the Panorama interview.

She wanted to force Charles hand, but there is no way I will ever believe that she wanted to force him into divorce. She did not really want the divorce and said so many times. We can never know for sure if she subconsciously believed even then that the marriage could be saved. Former VF author Tina Brown has asserted in her Diana bio that Charles had an 11th hour change of heart and considered trying to save the marriage shortly before the divorce became final.

But he was dissuaded from doing so by Camilla.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:36 AM
Serene Highness

I seem to recall reading that Diana was really frustrated with the Queen about not doing something about Charles's relationship with Camilla. Not that a parent can control their adult children however the Queen is a bit more than just a parent and I think Diana wanted her to step in and order Charles as the Queen to cease and desist with Camilla. It's always seemed that rightly or not Diana always saw Camilla as being in the way even if it was just friendship (until later).

She made some bad decisions and I think she used whatever 'weapons' she had available to her.

I wonder did they never seek professional counseling during their marriage? I seem to recall Diana went for her eating disorder etc...but I wonder if they went together for marital counseling.

LaRae
Old 03-19-2014, 06:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
But he was dissuaded from doing so by Camilla.
This is one I'm going to ask what your source is. As far as I know, Camilla has never voiced an opinion on what was going on for public record. She was one discreet lady and for that I admire her.

Anyhow this isn't about Camilla. Although she was a part of what goaded Diana into some actions during that time, from what I understand of that era, there weren't many that weren't under scrutiny from the monarch down to the person on the street. Diana found it easier to distrust rather than trust as time went by.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Courtier

Thanks for the clarification MoonMaiden23. I agree that Diana didn't want a divorce, but I don't think anyone does. I believe that she preferred a divorce to a permanent separation. She definitely wanted more children.

I also agree with your analysis of Diana's actions. No one is completely rational all of the time; we all do things that make no sense in the light of day. It is particularly hard to be dispassionate when someone is going through the breakdown of a marriage.

But although Tina Brown is generally a reliable source of information, I am skeptical of her assertion that Camilla was the one who talked Charles out of a reconciliation. First, I doubt if either would have confided to a third party.

Moreover, I doubt Charles was seriously considering a reconciliation at that point. I can easily believe that both Charles and Diana had second thoughts about ending their marriage. It's only natural for people to reconsider such a major decision and wistfully wonder if there was a chance of saving the marriage. Despite everything, I believe both Charles and Diana deeply cared about each other.

But I don't think he seriously considered reconciliation after the book came out in 1992. The bottom line is that: Charles was in love with Camilla, Charles and Diana were essentially incapable, and it would have been hard for Charles to trust Diana after Diana had gone public. (I understand it would have been hard for Diana to trust Charles).

If Diana had wanted to save the marriage, going public was the worst thing she could have done. We talk about Diana dropping friends, but the royal family has always dropped people who they believe betray their trust and talk to the media.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23
...But he was dissuaded from doing so by Camilla.
Wow, really, a 40 something year old man couldn't think for himself, Charles wanted out of the marriage himself, why go on tv and tell the truth, he wanted to divorce Diana and marry Camilla, he knew talking on tv, Camilla's marriage will be done and she would be available for marriage. if he wanted to stay in the marriage, why did he instantly agree for a divorce after the queen ordered it, Diana was the one who did not want one, she thought letting the world know and making Charles the bad guy, he would drop Camilla and run back into her arms like a scared puppy, unfortunately she failed to see he was the Heir and she was just his consort who he could dispose of no matter what...Henry VIII did it.

Again, I will ask too, where is the reliable source, she dissuaded him?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Heir Apparent

The source is mentioned in my earlier post.

Camilla persuaded him that it would be a mistake to remain in a marriage that would emotionally decimate him, and of course she was right.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:01 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm sorry, I find the whole notion utterly risible.

One thing I do believe is that the very last response Diana expected of the Panorama Interview was for the Queen herself to call time on the marriage in an attempt to end the pain and humiliation for all concerned.

Tags
diana princess of wales, interviews, martin bashir, panorama, princess diana