The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
....We will never really know what happened in those first 5 years of marriage that made it go from promise to purgatory. What is clear after one trawls through all the pictures, video, interviews and documentaries (and I am by no means done!) - is that it was not as Diana painted later because she said it first. It could not have been. Much of what she said winds up not making coherent sense, given the contradictions. What was true was that she was too young in so many kinds of ways, inexperienced and with so few inner resources.
Agreed Tyger. Princess Diana and Prince Charles would still be married if Diana was no too young and could have been help with medication. This would have been the better ending to the Wales marriage and children.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
We all know Diana, Princess of Wales' was mentally sick.
Speak for yourself please. Dr Neville Marks, renowned psychiatrist said that she was not mentally ill, that no one with her amazing work load was in the least bit sick. He knew her personally. She accomplished more good in her short life time than many people who lived decades longer. Her Memorial Fund is still helping millions.

Some fragments of psychobabble scribbled in desperation by Penny Junor is nothing in the way of a medical diagnosis.

She was said to be imaginin g that her husband was having an affair with Mrs Parker Bowles. The CamillaGate tape proved her to be absolutely spot on.

The Queen's own biographer spoke out on that topic, thus 'Three in the marriage' from the Panorama interview:

Old 12-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Heir Apparent

The Camillagate conversation was made in the very late 80s or the early 90s. Charles acknowledged that he had an affair starting in about 1986. So the Camillagate tape is not proof that he was cheating with Camilla from 1981 on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie of The Sea View Post
She was said to be imaginin g that her husband was having an affair with Mrs Parker Bowles. The CamillaGate tape proved her to be absolutely spot on.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
How do you know his emotions were with someone else? The only person who would know that is Charles.

Diana might have believed that but unless Charles was sitting there saying 'I wish I was watching this with Camilla' it was simply in Diana's head.
'No matter what happens, I will always love you.' Charles to camilla on the phone overheard by his wife. So one or two other people knew besides Charles. Not to mention all of his friends that he was asking to borrow a bedroom from. From their own lips on the Camillagate tape.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Aristocracy

I seriously doubt Diana would have ever agreed to the Panorama interview had Charles not spoken of his infidelity to her and possible divorce on another international interview. Her interview was in essence, a reply to his, of laying the rest of the cards on the table. He unwisely opened the Pandora's box and Panorama was the direct result of Charles saying that he didn't see a divorce as being detrimental to his becoming king. Diana replied on Panorama that perhaps he wasn't exactly suited for the role but that William definitely was.

Prince Charles, in TV Documentary, Admits to Infidelity - Biography - NYTimes.com

In answer to Giorgiea, Diana was very happy and healthy when she died.

As her brother said at the Abbey:

Quote:
I would like to end by thanking God for the small mercies he has shown us at this dreadful time. For taking Diana at her most beautiful and radiant and when she had joy in her private life.
In one of my desk drawers are pictures of Diana, both her sons and Emad Al Fayed happily frolicking in the water off the Jonikal. In her last two days on earth, she and her sister Lady Sarah were having great fun in planning Prince Harry's 12th birthday party via telephone. Her last errand for Lady Sarah was to find a Play Station for Harry in London because none was available in Paris.

I don't believe she would have ever agreed to share Charles with Mrs. PB so I don't think she would have remained married to Charles at all.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Serene Highness

At some point the couple would have divorced. Because their marriage had basically broken down and was at the point of no return (both of them have basically said this), it was inevitable that at some point a divorce would occur. They clearly were not happy together and people outside of royal circles or their inner circle saw this. I remember seeing them when they visited King Juan Carlos of Spain. Prince Charles was sitting in one chair, Princess Diana in another. They both looked like they didn't want to be in the same room with each other. While this wasn't so evident in Prince Charles, the body language of Princess Diana spoke volumes. People took notice.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I seriously doubt Diana would have ever agreed to the Panorama interview had Charles not spoken of his infidelity to her and possible divorce on another international interview. Her interview was in essence, a reply to his, of laying the rest of the cards on the table. He unwisely opened the Pandora's box and Panorama was the direct result of Charles saying that he didn't see a divorce as being detrimental to his becoming king. Diana replied on Panorama that perhaps he wasn't exactly suited for the role but that William definitely was.
Prince Charles, in TV Documentary, Admits to Infidelity - Biography - NYTimes.com
Yes, Marie of The Sea. Diana, Princess of Wales set the record straight. But I do think from listening to her, watching her, her eye makeup made me want to hug her and take her to a doctor. To me Princess Diana seemed to be crying out for help and being a little vindictive. I love Princess Diana with warts and all. I still think if the couple waited for children and Diana got help from medication their marriage would have survived.

Quote:
In answer to Giorgiea, Diana was very happy and healthy when she died.

As her brother said at the Abbey:

In one of my desk drawers are pictures of Diana, both her sons and Emad Al Fayed happily frolicking in the water off the Jonikal. In her last two days on earth, she and her sister Lady Sarah were having great fun in planning Prince Harry's 12th birthday party via telephone. Her last errand for Lady Sarah was to find a Play Station for Harry in London because none was available in Paris.
Yes, Diana, Princess of Wales was at her high point, both psychically and mentally, one year after her divorce. After the breakdown of the marriage in the late 80's she lived a life of personal loneliness and false relationships with cads and married men. Only Doctor Khan was worthy of her and he would not marry her. I have hear that Diana was fighting with Prince William over Dodi and that Princess Diana was upset with Prince Charles' giving Camilla a big 50 birthday party. I read that Diana got photos of herself in the British newspapers in a animal print bikini to out shine Camilla's big day. If this is true, was Diana, Princess of Wales really happy with her divorce and her love of Prince Charles?

Quote:
I don't believe she would have ever agreed to share Charles with Mrs. PB so I don't think she would have remained married to Charles at all.
I guess to all out there we have to disagree to agree about the marriage. I being a Diana fan and know personally about how medicine helps a person through tough situations- I think Diana and Charles would be married now as loving companions that would be celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary and their first borne son's marriage.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny2 View Post
...she purposely decided to air the interview on the date of the Queen's wedding anniversary.
Are you seriously under the impression that Diana was in control of the network programming? Because if the Panorama program aired at 7 pm on tuesday, for example, week after week year after year, do you seriously think that she was the one in control of the air date? Welcome to television Binny2.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Are you seriously under the impression that Diana was in control of the network programming? Because if the Panorama program aired at 7 pm on tuesday, for example, week after week year after year, do you seriously think that she was the one in control of the air date? Welcome to television Binny2.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. She did chose the original air date of the Panorama interview. This was a secret, explosive program and the upper echelons of the BBC were going to give her anything she wanted including the airdate. They did not want her to change her mind.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny2 View Post
I'm not sure what you are talking about. She did chose the original air date of the Panorama interview. This was a secret, explosive program and the upper echelons of the BBC were going to give her anything she wanted including the airdate. They did not want her to change her mind.
Please cite your source for this claim.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Please cite your source for this claim.
It came from the Sally Bedell Smith book Diana in Search of Herself.
"The program was scheduled to air November 20 the forty-eighth wedding anniversary of the Queen and Prince Philip" p.348 of the paperback edition.

Also,
"On the morning of November 14, Charles 47th birthday, just after she opened a new patient center at Broadmoor, Diana called a senior Buckingham Palace official to inform him of the interview." p.349
Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

She may have notified the palace after she was informed what the air date was, but Diana was NOT in control of what date the programme aired. That is controlled by network programming and no one else.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She may have notified the palace after she was informed what the air date was, but Diana was NOT in control of what date the programme aired. That is controlled by network programming and no one else.
You seem very sure. Binny2 has provided her source. What is your source that Diana did not either stipulate the date it would run or deliberately time the interview knowing that it would probably run on the Queen's anniversary? By the way, you may want to respond to my request for the source of your claim that Stephen Barry's books included specific statements.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

FYI: The BBC as a non-commercial company does have a lot more flexibility in making programme changes/adjustments than a commercial channel which sells advertising on the basis of the programme in which in will appear. Therefore the possibility does exist that a specific date could have been chosen.

However, any change would have had to have been agreed by the BBC1 Controller and I would have expected confirmation (after all this time) to come from someone at the BBC.

The BBC is not constrained by network programming as it operates separately. It does not operate as per US.

I've worked in the industry, that's how I know.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Courtier

That is interesting, thanks. But is it possible that Diana could have timed the interview so that it would probably run on a certain date? I don't think the BBC would have wanted it to sit for too long.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know the time lag between the making of the programme and when it was aired. She could have made the request and the Controller would have weighed up keeping a lid on it vs a date with strong impact. Frankly, from the public's perspective this was explosive regardless of the date. Keeping it confidential would have been THE priority IMO. Confidential and keeping Diana happy cos she wanted a specific date would have come 2nd.

All I know is that the BBC1 Controller could have transmitted it pretty much when they wanted. So the possibility exists.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Courtier

What your saying makes sense and I can always be sure that your opinions are based on looking at facts. According to the Telegraph, the interview was taped on November 5th. The BBC would have needed a few days to edit and then start advertising the episode. Diana, Princess of Wales - Telegraph

I don't think Diana would have demanded that the interview air on a specific date. Obviously, spoiling the Queen's anniversary was not the main reason to do the interview.

But Diana was extremely media savvy and I think it is more than possible that she timed the taping of the interview knowing that it probably would air on the Queen's anniversary or the day before Charles's birthday. I don't think the BBC would have delayed airing beyond November 20th, because there would have been a chance that they would have been scooped if Diana had talked to another media outlet in the interim.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
... She was at her worst in situations where she felt threatened.
This...100X. That notorious Panorama interview was so cringeworthy that to this day I can't watch it from start to finish, and what I did see had me shouting SHUT UP DIANA...SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!! at the television.

It was a perfect example of how she acted when she felt threatened, but she came off paranoid and even mentally unbalanced. I am convinced that that interview set her on the road to divorce, the Paris Ritz, and death. In other words she might still be alive if she hadn't done it. .
Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 PM
Majesty

Charles and Diana's interviews set their divorce into motion. I don't think the interview had anything to do with her trip to Paris and death. I think that trip was one of the dumbest situations I have ever seen. The whole trip made no sense at all and the driver (May God rest and bless him) of the car brains was still on vacation.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 03-18-2014, 12:08 AM
Heir Apparent

They both did ill-advised interviews, but by all accounts it was Diana's Panorama sneak attack that caused QEII to declare "enough already!" and order the couple to divorce. Diana had not expected that at all, so in that sense her plan to one-up Charles blew up in her face. As miserable as he was in his marriage, Charles would probably have been content with the status quo.

I do think Panorama sealed her fate.

Tags
diana princess of wales, interviews, martin bashir, panorama, princess diana