The Memorial Service: August 31, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
UKDianaRoyalArms.jpg

Diana's Royal Arms

The Memorial Service

The Guards' Chapel, London
Friday 31 August 2007

  

INFORMATION ABOUT THE SERVICE

The service, to be conducted by the Reverend Patrick Irwin, Chaplain to the Household Division, will include two prayers specially written for the occasion by Dr Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, as well as an address by the Bishop of London, The Rt. Rev. and Rt. Hon. Dr. Richard Chartres.

The arrangements for the service have been overseen personally by Prince William and Prince Harry, together with the Princess’s brother, Earl Spencer, and her two sisters, Lady Sarah McCorquodale and Lady Jane Fellowes.
The two Princes chose the Guards’ Chapel for the service because as Household Cavalry officers it is their regimental chapel.

The music during the service aims to reflect the Princess’s tastes, and includes some of her favourite pieces such as Rachmaninov’s “O Virgin Mother of God rejoice” taken from The Vespers. The choir will sing this piece in its original Church Slavonic – just as the Princess used to listen to it. Other anthems include Mozart’s motet “Ave verum corpus” and Faure’s “In paradisum”.
Four hymns are included in the service, with tunes from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England. They are “Be Thou My Vision” to the traditional Irish melody “Slane”, “The Lord’s My Shepherd” to the very well known Scottish tune “Crimond”, “Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer” to the Welsh classic “Cwm Rhondda” and finally, as a rousing climax to the Service, “I Vow To Thee, My Country” to the English standard “Thaxted”, the Princess’s favourite hymn.

Among the approximately 500 guests attending the service will be many chosen to reflect the Princess’s personal and working life. More than 30 members of the Royal Family will be present, along with 100 other family members, her godparents, 12 godchildren and all bridesmaids and page boys who attended the Princess’s wedding in 1981. Former members of The Princess’s staff, and over 110 representatives from her charities and other organisations with which she was associated, have also been invited to the service.
Notable figures in the guest list include The Prime Minister, Gordon Brown and former Prime Ministers Tony Blair and Sir John Major. Some of the well-known friends of the Princess attending the service include Sir Elton John, Sir Cliff Richard, Mario Testino and Lord Attenborough.

The many charities being represented at the service will include the Landmine Survivors Network, Help the Aged, the Trust for Sick Children in Wales, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Centrepoint, the British Lung Foundation and the National Aids Trust, as well as organisations such as Eureka! The Museum for Children, and the National Children’s Orchestra.

Prince William and Prince Harry will both give readings at the Thanksgiving Service for their mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, on Friday 31st August 2007.

The Princess’s eldest sister, Lady Sarah McCorquodale, will also give a reading at the hour-long service being held at 12 noon in the Guards’ Chapel at London’s Wellington Barracks.

The Service of Thanksgiving is being broadcast live on BBC and ITV.

Last edited:
This thread is to discuss the Memorial Service.

Please keep comments and discussions on topic.
Posts not relevant to the Memorial Service will be removed.

  

Last edited:
If you live in the US, there's live coverage on Fox News, CNN, & MSNBC.

Last edited:
Guest list

Somewhere between 450 and 500 people filled the Guards Chapel.

Her Majesty the Queen
HRH the Duke of Edinburgh
HRH the Prince of Wales
HRH Prince William of Wales
HRH Prince Harry of Wales
HRH Princess Beatrice of York
HRH Princess Eugenie of York
TRH the Earl and Countess of Wessex
HRH the Princess Anne the Princess Royal
Vice-Admiral Timothy Laurence
Master Peter Phillips
Viscount and Viscountess Linley
Mr. Daniel and Lady Sarah Chatto
TRH the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
The Earl and Countess of Ulster
Mr. Gary and Lady Davina Lewis
Lady Rose Windsor
TRH the Duke and Duchess of Kent
The Earl and Countess of St. Andrews
Edward, Baron Downpatrick - godson of Diana*
Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor
Lady Helen Taylor and Mr. Timothy Taylor
Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy
TRH Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
Lord Frederick Windsor
Lady Gabriella Windsor
The ninth Earl Spencer
Lady Kitty Spencer
Lady Eliza Spencer
Lady Amelia Spencer
Louis Frederick Spencer, Viscount Althorp
Mr. Neil and Lady Sarah McCorquodale
Emily McCorquodale
George McCorquodale
Celia McCorquodale
Baron and Baroness Fellowes (Robert and Lady Jane)
Hon. Laura Fellowes
Hon. Alexander Fellowes
Hon. Eleanor Fellowes
The Hon. Mary Burke Roche (sister of Frances Shand Kydd)
Raine de Chambrun (commonly referenced as Raine Spencer)
His Grace (Dr. Rowan Williams) the Archbishop of Canterbury
Rt. Hon. George Carey, Baron Carey of Clifton and spouse
Prime Minister Gordon Brown and Sarah Brown
Former Prime Minister Tony Blair and Cherie Blair
Former Prime Minister Sir John and Lady (Norma) Major
Antony Armstrong-Jones, the Earl of Snowdon
India Hicks
Sarah Jane Gaselee
Mr. Edward and Lady Tamara van Cutsem
Mrs. Emilie van Cutsem
Her Grace (Natalia) the Duchess of Westminster
Lady Annabel Goldsmith
Sir David and Lady (Carina) Frost
Hon. George Frost - godson of Diana*
Hon. Rosa Monckton and Mr. Domenic Lawson*
Domenica Lawson - goddaughter of Diana*
Peter Brown
Major "Jamie" Lowther-Pinkerton - private secretary to TRH Prince William and Prince Harry
Sir Michael Peat
Camilla al-Fayed
Sir Elton John and David Furnish
Julia Samuels
Victoria Mendham
Simon Solari
Lucia Flecha de Lima
Prince Seeiso of Lesotho
Mario Testino
Sir Cliff Richard
Baron and Baroness Attenborough (Richard Attenborough and Sheila Sim)
Sir Richard and Lady (Joan) Branson
Bryan Adams
Keith Nicholson, Acting National Director, the Leprosy Mission
Anthony Lawton, CEO of Centrepoint
Sisters of the Missionaries of Charity
Representative from the National AIDS Trust
Representative from the Landmine Survivors Network
Representative from Eureka! The Museum for Children
Representative from the British Lung Foundation
Representative from the National Children's Orchestra
Representative from Help the Aged
Representative from the Trust for Sick Children in Wales
Representative from the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery

Notes
*At least nine other godchildren of Diana are reported to have attended the service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but I can not believe that Camilla al Fayed is there. That is truly unbelieveable.

On another note. The Queen looks stunning!

About what time will it be shown here in the U.S.?

Raine de Chambrun, formerly Countess Spencer
Don't let Raine hear you call her that or you'll find yourself descended upon by the mighty bouff.

Camilla al Fayed was invited. She is obviously the "acceptable" face of the al Fayeds and hasn't been known to discuss her father's lurid accusations in public.

In the US it is being shown on FOX news, live

Lady Helen Taylor is sitting next to Mario Testino.

Interesting to see Princess Michael there. With Cherie Blair behind her. Oh sweet irony.

Lady Helen Taylor is sitting next to Mario Testino.

And Gordon Brown for some reason.

Gotta love it when Prince Charles arrives and checks Harry has remembered his speech. Made me smile. Love to see the family interacting.

Is Harry sitting with the Spencers and William with the Windsor's?

Someone really needs to teach William how to speak publicly. Swaying about like he's had a few. The seating is rather queer - William is practically sitting on the Queen's lap whilst Charles couldn't be furthur away. The space between him and the Duke of Edinburgh really is quite evident. And Harry on the Spencers side - all very odd.

Last edited:
Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie behind Prince William....... The Duke of Kent behind the Wessexes. I assume the Duchess of Kent is there too?

I saw the Queen and Prince Philip. The Queen looks very nice in her purple ensemble. :)

1100 - two-minute silence at Harrods
1200 - main memorial service at Guards' Chapel, Wellington Barracks, London; service at the Kirk of St Nicholas Uniting, Aberdeen
1630 - memorial at Manchester cathedral
1715 - choral evensong at Bristol cathedral
1800 - prayers at Llandaff cathedral, Cardiff

What's quite wierd are the crowds outside. Nearly all women. Very odd.

Last edited:
"Who's Cheating?" - Goodness me, the Bishop of London appears to have lost all sense. The man must be mad.

I quite agree with that statement. Talk about hopping out of the frying pan into the fire.

I've caught a little of it on MSNBC. I saw Beatrice and Eugine, Edward, and what looked like the Duke of Kent. It struck me how much William is going to look like Edward, BTW. He looks like Diana, but also like Edward. I saw that when William was sitting in front of Edward.

Ok, I have seen the Duchess of Kent for sure next to the Duke, and Prince Michael and Princess Michael beside them, and Lord Frederick and Lady Gabriella behind them all. Also in the row behind, next to Lord Freddie and Lady Ella: Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor.

Prince Harry is sitting directly across from Prince William in first rows.
Prince Harry is on the so-called "Spencer side". Prince William sits next to the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles. Behind: the Wessexes, HRH the Princess Royal, Admiral Laurence....

The Duchess of Kent is absent. Maybe she's teaching today.

The Duchess of Kent is absent. Maybe she's teaching today.

It looks like her next to the Duke, though, in the white hat with blonde hair exactly like the Duchess. Oh well.

The Gloucesters are all there.

There showing it live on BBc World damn I woke up late its 7:47 here in New York.

I put it on the locked thread, someone is putting the service on dvd for me becaus I am at work, I will watch the dvd once or twice and then am able to send it to anyone who really would like to see it and can not.

If you live in the US, there's live coverage on Fox News, CNN, & MSNBC.

did you guys see the likeness of PRINCE HARRY to that with LADY SARAH SPENCER MCCORQUODALE and her son GEORGE MCCORQUODALE:ohmy:

arent the SPENCER girls looking beautiful

The service is shown on NOS (Netherlands) as well, my HDD is recording it for later as I'm earning my life on office, of course. Nice to see the reactions on here, in the meantime.

:flowers:

I must be seeing things. I would bet my boots that I just saw Princess Anne.

The queen looks wonderful! What brooch is she wearing?

Okay. Princess Anne was there. I thought that she was supposed to be elsewhere today? Ah well.The American and British commentators are just idiots. The one American (and BTW, I am American) just called Sophie Wessex, Zara Philips.

What a nincompoop.

Back
Top Bottom