The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
there are certainly reports that Charles was saying "they're all going to blame me" and very upset and depressed..
All kinds of depressing thoughts most likely ran through his mind when he first heard the news of the accident in Paris.

I recently purchased and read Junor's Charles: Victim or Villian book and in it was something I hadn't read before anywhere. Towards the beginning of the marriage when Charles took Diana to London to seek psychiatric help (which didn't work for Diana and she quit going), Charles himself underwent therapy that was to continue into the 90s.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

but she saw Lipsedge later on who helped her with her bulimia..and she saw other forms of therapists, some more "mainstream" than others in the 90s. I have read that Charles wnet with Diana to a few sessions in the early stages of their marriage..
However I was replying to someone saying there was nothing about his being openly depressed.. but there were reports that he was very shaken up and saying "they will all blame me". So I imagine he felt that he had to do something on the boys behalf at least.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Majesty

I do think the accident in Paris hit Charles like a ton of bricks. Can you imagine what it must have been like for him getting that news and knowing he's going to have to break that news to his two sons? Its probably the hardest thing he's ever had to do in his life.

He stood by his boys and supported them to the best of his ability I think and he also did whatever he could do to do the right thing by Diana.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think he did, however as I recall, there were also reports that he wasn't much use because he was in a depressed and self pitying mood, saying that "they would al blame him" rather than concentrating on Di and the boys.
I think he did try, when she was gone, to make upfor her loss in the boys' lfie and to be a good single parent.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Majesty

Several sources I've read have had Charles stating that at the time of Diana's death that he mused that that he always thought that somehow she'd return to him and he'd have to care for her for the rest of her life.

I think Charles did realize that there was something innately wrong with Diana and he, more or less, recognized a psychological sickness in her that caused the dysfunction in the marriage. He couldn't deal with it but he understood why he couldn't deal with it. I've seen this happen in a close family relationship. The two people honestly do love each other and stick by each other but with one having serious bipolar issues, it made it impossible for them to live together.

Therefore, I do feel that Charles felt a deep loss himself at the death of his ex-wife personally. The marriage didn't work out but they both retained some of the love they had for each other even after the divorce.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I haven't read that, Osipi, but what I did read was that before the news came to Balmoral that Diana had in fact died in Paris, there was some communication/phone call that stated that she had been seriously injured.

According to what I read and it was years ago, Charles felt that it would be his duty (on his sons' behalf) to help care for Diana if it turned out that she was severely mentally or physically handicapped as a result of injuries in the car crash. Of course, she did not survive so that scenario didn't occur.

Having said that, I have never read any biography of Diana or Charles that repeats that story. I do remember it but I believe it was in a newspaper article, and so could well be pure speculation or, God forbid, made up by a journalist!
Old 07-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

IIRC its in TIna Browns book. however I don't think he was still "in love" with her, but he had some feelings for her..
Old 07-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Majesty

You're right, Denville. and thanks for saving me the trouble of digging all the books out and finding where I'd read it.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

OK, I wasn't 100% sure but it is the only Diana bio that I own, so I tend to remember it best. thanks!
OTOH there were other stories from other sources, that made him look a lot more like he was moaning and not much use.
Its possible that boht sides are true...
Old 07-22-2017, 02:30 PM
Majesty

One thing I do find heartwarming as we head towards the 20th anniversary of Diana's death is that the monarchy itself is doing its part to remember Diana and the way she was. I thought it quite touching that there is a public display at Buckingham Palace that Diana's sons had a part in putting together to remember Diana.

The UK as a whole remembers her. Quite fitting I think.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Majesty

As with many families, they've probably found that time has helped to heal the worst memories and perhaps there has been greater understanding of why Diana did some of the things that she did.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure the RF realise that there's nothing good to be had from attacking Diana as she is still a popular figure if not as much a\s she used to be. However I'm not sure if all have become kindlier towards her memory. I think the queen always tried to understand her, but simply couldn't.. and was exasperated by her. However I think now years later, she is as a Christian willing to forgive and remember her good points.

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, memorial, princess diana