The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont recollect him looking upset At Diana's Memorial. I thtink he was certianly very upset when she died, only a monster would have No feeling when the woman he had beene married to died tragically at 36....but he wasn't broken hearted...
Oh yes, Charles was upset at the memorial service. His nose and eyes were red. He looked very casted down at the service. He looked the same way at The Queen Mother's funeral too. It's was a painful time for Charles too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Serene Highness

I doubt if he was as upset at an event 10 years after his ex wife's death, as he might have been at the time of her death.. or at the death of his beloved grandmother.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

but then again no one would be. No matter how much you love a person you mourn an heal. After ten years even her sons would not be as upset as during her funeral. The anniversary of a loss gets easier every year. You will always miss the person but the pain dwindles. For the boys it is other days which would be harder now. Like for William wishing he had to buy an emgagement ring and wishing his mum was there to help. Or she was there to hold her first grandson. Or that Charlotte didn't have to have Diana as a middle name as her grandma was there to spoil her. All those special moments they wish they could share with her will now be more painful for years to come.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:20 AM
Serene Highness

Of course pain eases, as time goes on. So I dnt believe that Charles would be as upset 10 years after Di's death, as he might have been at the time of her funeral..I can't find any pictures of him at the Memorial, but I don't remember him looking tearful
Old 09-03-2016, 01:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

If anyone can find a video of the service you will see what I mean. I'm surprised the service was never uploaded to YouTube.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-03-2016, 01:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

As he suffers from rosacea Charles having a red nose, a red face or anything else red doesn't signify anything much.

Copyright is a good reason why things aren't updated and the BBC is very quick to have things taken down as do the royal family if they own the copyright - which they do to some royal events.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I looked to and couldn't find it. I don't believe he was upset then after all his live was going pretty well then in ways probably not possible if Diana was alive.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-03-2016, 01:51 AM
Serene Highness

I agree, he does tend to have reddish tinges on his face due to an outdoor life or roseacea, so I don't think if he had a red nose, it meant anything. ANd while I'm sure he was a bit sad at the 10 years on service, it wasn't like the time of the funeral, when I think he was very upset, and apparently he was seen in tears when he had seen her body. By 2007, he was remarried, his boys were growing up, his life was fairly good, and I'm sure that while it was sad to remember Diana, he wasn't desperately upset then.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:35 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When you stop to think about it, just the fact that he was there and present for the 10th anniversary service says a mouthful. Perhaps part of the reason was to be there for his sons but I have to believe also that he was there for himself as 10 years down the line, hurts heal and what remains are the good things and the fond memories they shared.

Should my ex-husband pass away tomorrow, I would not go nor be expected to attend the funeral let alone any anniversaries in the years to come.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:43 AM
Serene Highness

Of course he had to go to the service.
Goodness , even Camilla was invited. The RF aren't like a normal family in the respect that they have to keep up apperances in public in a way that other families may not feel they have to.
I am sure he was glad to go, I think that as time passed, he got over the bad feelings about Diana, he was very sad at her sudden death, and remembered the few good times and how loving a mother she was to the boys. But by 2007, while it was problaby a sobering moment to be at her memorial, it wasn't as painful as it had been at the funeral...
But he certainly got very browned off with her during the bad years, toward the end of the marriage. In Tina Browns book there is a story that he told some guest at Highgrove that he did not read the papers but listened to the news on the raidio.. because he didn't want to open a paper and find out "what my bloody crazy wife has been doing."
I think that this shows he was very very fed up with Diana, and at the time problaby wished that he could get a divorce easily like other men and not see her ever again.
Of course as time passed, and had she lived, I'm sure he would have come out of that mood and been able to see her in a friendly way at times and hopefuly if she'd been around when Will got married etc they would have been there at the ceremony without any backstage rows or dramatics. but I don't think they had reached that stage really before her untimely death.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

I remember the service clearly and remember Charles's look at the service. He really did appear to be sad and looked down throughout the service.

I did think Camilla was treated badly by the press and people during that time. She was invited and should've been there. The Queen and palace official read the mood of the media and Camilla pulled out. That indeed was sad.

A.W. TOZER
Old 09-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana loathed, detested and hated Camilla throughout her marriage and after. Why would Camilla want to go to a memorial service to a woman she supplanted and once called 'that ridiculous creature'? She had no fond feelings for her.

If I died after a very nasty divorce I certainly wouldn't want my ex's next wife (with whom he'd committed adultery, making me miserable) sitting in the pews at my memorial service trying her hardest to look sad. I bet if people had asked Diana who she wanted turning up at her (hypothetical) funeral/memorial service Camilla's name wouldn't be near that list by a thousand miles!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:58 AM
Serene Highness

Above all if William and Harry invited Camilla then that should stop anyone else having a say in it. Never mind what we think others would have said or done, William and Harry's decisions must be respected in this regard
Old 09-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm giving my opinion on an opinions forum and my opinion is that Diana wouldn't have wanted her there and if Camilla had any sense of honour she wouldn't have wanted to be there.

William and Harry always do their best to please their father, their only live parent. He obviously wanted Camilla there, God knows why, and I imagine the boys agreed. Public opinion at the time forced a withdrawal. Good, IMHO.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Serene Highness

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not saying you shouldn't express yours. All I am saying is that whatever others may think William and Harry's opinion is the only one that really matters in this. I've always wondered what gives people (and I don't mean anyone on here just people in general) the feeling their have a greater right to say what is right or wrong in regards to Diana than her own family.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Diana wasn't around to speak for herself, though, was she? And Charles at that time of the memorial wished Camilla to be accepted by the general public and there was a rather strong campaign going on at the time, coordinated by his own spin doctor to do just that!

Diana cut off contact with her sister in law Sarah over one joke about foot warts due to borrowing Diana's shoes. Yet we were asked to believe that Diana would have been quite OK with a woman who caused her inconceivable misery sitting there at her memorial service! Yes, I truly believe that!
Old 09-03-2016, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Whether or not Camilla was invited to go to this event is all rather beside the point - she didn't attend and it was appropriate that she didn't. I would be amazed if anyone within or without the Royal Family would have tried to get her to attend, make her attend or indeed plead with her to attend, and I certainly cannot imagine she would have wanted to go or felt it appropriate herself to go.

As for Diana's thoughts on the matter, let's be realistic - she had been dead for 10 years and if my knowledge serves me correctly, she never publicly discussed her thoughts on who she would and wouldn't wish to attend her very own memorial service.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I'm giving my opinion on an opinions forum and my opinion is that Diana wouldn't have wanted her there and if Camilla had any sense of honour she wouldn't have wanted to be there.

William and Harry always do their best to please their father, their only live parent, at the time. He obviously wanted Camilla there, God knows why, and I imagine the boys agreed. Public opinion at the time forced a withdrawal. Good, IMHO.

I agree to even think about going was crazy and if there is something next year for 20 years I hope to goodness they both stay away MO

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Whether or not Camilla was invited to go to this event is all rather beside the point - she didn't attend and it was appropriate that she didn't. I would be amazed if anyone within or without the Royal Family would have tried to get her to attend, make her attend or indeed plead with her to attend, and I certainly cannot imagine she would have wanted to go or felt it appropriate herself to go.

As for Diana's thoughts on the matter, let's be realistic - she had been dead for 10 years and if my knowledge serves me correctly, she never publicly discussed her thoughts on who she would and wouldn't wish to attend her very own memorial service.
She might well have been there in spirit though, Jacknch!

No it's true she didn't discuss the attendees at her own memorial. She did however, discuss Camilla with friends on several occasions and made her opinion clear on that matter!
Old 09-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

It would've been good for Camilla to attend guys. It would've been her chance to pay tribute to Diana and put the past behind. William and Harry wanted her there, but the media and the public opinion decided to act silly and they forced her to pull out.

I would hope both Charles and Camilla attend any event that's being planned for next year. It would not only be appropriate, but right for them to do so. Healing folks, healing is the important thing.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, memorial, princess diana