The Memorial Service: August 31, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is always tragic to lose a mother at any age yet I think it was especially traumatizing for Prince Harry...He seemed always to be the more clingy of the two boys. As personified in the way he has followed in (and vowed to continue to in the future) his mother's footsteps in humanitarian work, he promises to be Diana'a voice in the future.. William cannot really be as vocal on Diana since he has to respect his father's position, etc.

We forget, us commoners who don't send our childen off to school like William and Harry...and other children of privilege, that Diana did not see her sons on a daily basis after the age of 8 years old. And they didn't see her. That is so sad to me.

They have an almost cathartic need to speak of Diana. And they really had no power until they became adults...

This memorial, although it had its painful and uncomfortable aspects in many ways, was necessary for the boys to mourn their mother as young adult men among both of their families. It would be my wish for them to reconnect to people employed by the princess whom they may think have bettrayed her by "cashing in"...yet they do offer a side of Diana just as real as the fun and loving mother she was to them.

Oh god help us, I hope not. I hope that, for the sake of my moderator brain and fingers, they decide to do so privately.

LOL!

The hatmakers feel the same way you do I am sure.

Some of the royal headgear at today's memorial was "over the top" for this American. I am still pondering Sophie Wessex's greyish pointy disc and how it attached to her head so securely.

Perhaps what would have been the 50th birthday of the princess will be noted by William and Harry again....just a scant 4 years from now.

That's a definite possibility but probably nothing as big as this time.

Some of the royal headgear at today's memorial was "over the top" for this American.

I don't get the hat thing either, it makes the women look frumpy, IMO...

I know it may be taboo and scandalous but Camilla Al-Fayed would make a beautiful princess next to William or Harry...she is so chic and classic...

Well Camilla Al Fayed is a very beautiful Kate and Chelsy can't top her in that area especially Chelsy. But if she married one them it would make Muhamed Al Fayed to close to the British throne.

Why where royal men wearing what appears to be the Blues and Royals Regimental tie?
William is reaching out to his Grandfather not his father.

Because the service was held in the Guards' Chapel at Wellington Barracks. And Prince William and Prince Harry kissed their father with whom they seem to have a very warm and close relationship. You could see Prince Charles glow of pride for his sons during their readings, while granny and grandpa remained emotionless.

The three Wales Princes held each arms together, kissed each other and walked up and down the aisle. So no problem between dad and son, you maybe seem to suggest...

Last edited:
Because the service was held in the Guards' Chapel at Wellington Barracks. And Prince William and Prince Harry kissed their father with whom they seem to have a very warm and close relationship. You could see Prince Charles glow of pride for his sons during their readings, while granny and grandpa remained emotionless.

The three Wales Princes held each arms together, kissed each other and walked up and down the aisle. So no problem between dad and son, you maybe seem to suggest...

Oh, you are quite right, the father and sons, love each other and have no problem showing it. Their mother demonstrated that. Their grandparents are emotionless, part of the problem, but they, too love their grandsons very much. They have another mind set, right or wrong. It is too bad.

I don't think The Queen and the DOE are emotionless at all!!!!!!

They are old, bless their hearts....

The Queen seemed to be in fine form. She was shown speaking to the members of the fabulous choir with much enthusiasm as she is a gracious woman.I am sure she would have really wanted to have been back at Balmoral resting yet her love for her grandsons transcends everything. I am sure she would have rather been feeding her corgis with her shoes off in front of the telly as Diana in life and death has been one "troublesome girl" to her.

Maybe she was uncomfortable being so close to Charles Spencer...(LOL!) I am sure HMTQ was rather relieved he was not scheduled to speak. (I just read where Earl Spencer now is a professional speech coach for businessmen)

We were spoiled with the vibrancy of the Queen Mum.

They are old, bless their hearts....

The Queen seemed to be in fine form. She was shown speaking to the members of the fabulous choir with much enthusiasm as she is a gracious woman.I am sure she would have really wanted to have been back at Balmoral resting yet her love for her grandsons transcends everything. I am sure she would have rather been feeding her corgis with her shoes off in front of the telly as Diana in life and death has been one "troublesome girl" to her.

Maybe she was uncomfortable being so close to Charles Spencer...(LOL!) I am sure HMTQ was rather relieved he was not scheduled to speak. (I just read where Earl Spencer now is a professional speech coach for businessmen)

We were spoiled with the vibrancy of the Queen Mum.

I never said she was a bad woman or they were bad people, they tend to show little emotion. Their son, Charles, has been the one who said that they were cold and inaccessible. She shook his hand when he was a small child, when she returned from a trip. Without his nanny, Mabel Anderson, whom he adored, he knew little affection. I know she was brought up that way, but times change. Charles shows his sons love and affection. He loved and married a woman who has given him the love and mothering he has missed.
By the way, being old doesn't remove emotion from you, they never had it.
Diana was a problem, but they were also a problem for her. She was there, not just for the love of her grandsons, but "public opinion" to which they have become very sensitive to.

does anyone have a picture of Viscount and Viscountess Linley? I thought I saw their names on the guest list but I haven't seen a picture of them. Thanks.

I stand completely corrected about the brooch! I had only seen a slight image of it when I answered the query--because it had the shape (from a distance) of one of Maria Feodorovna's (spelling off) brooch but after seeing a MUCH better photo of it is without the other.

Regarding hats--yes. Some of these things are over the top and unattractive. Let's take the Princesses of York. Eugenie looked lovely in that tasteful hat and outfit but Beatrice! I know whe's young and hip but her outfit didn't really suit her and that hat looked all wrong with her hair. I wasn't impressed. As for Princess Michael--yes, the hat was way too big but the whole effect was really lovely. And, yes, the PRincess Royal needs to go onto "What Not to Wear" and let Clinton and Stacey "help" her out!

I thought Sophie's hat was ridiculous whose ever persuading her to wear these hats seriously needs to stop.

Diana

I think Princess Diana would be pleased today if she was peeking down from somewhere. Intermingling,affection,and all the things Diana stood for were present today at her memorial service.We still needed her in this world.So let us attempt to follow her examples of good works and deeds whenever we are able.By doing so a bit of her lives through us..so we might remember.......that comfort, compassion and mercy should be freely given.......
May she rest in peace.

I thought Sophie's hat was ridiculous whose ever persuading her to wear these hats seriously needs to stop.
By the way, the HAT helped me to recognize the Countess of Wessex. :) At the same time, I am in full agreement with you that she should more often alternate the satellite-style hats with other hats of a more classical style.

Last edited:
I was so impressed with Prince Harry, his speech to me really signified the difference between the two boys. I love PW but to me PH is so much more his mothers son. IMHO, William has seems to become more and more Windsor. I know he has too because of his future role and Harry has more freedom but I would of loved to heard something of his personal side of his mother, not just a bible verse. Any one could have read a bible verse but very few people can really speak of the love and devotion of Diana as a mother. I know Diana would be proud of both of her sons, but I am really proud of Harry, especally at the age he was when his mother died. He has really grown into a wonderful young man.

I couldn't agree more. I think Harry really stood out today with his speech. It was perfect, in my opinion, and incredibly touching. I wish William's had been a tad more interesting. But I guess to him that was a meaningful bible quote, so then good for him. I completely agree about William seeming more like the Windsors and Harry like the Spencers, so it's only fitting where they sat during the service. I was impressed with the music; all so lovely and suiting.

As for Sophie's hat...I'm definitely not a fan. Other than her hat, everyone else seems to look great from the pictures. I'm not sure how Camilla al Fayed walked in the massive heels, not to mention the surprised of her being there at all.

Overall, I don't think Diana would be anything other than beaming with pride at what her sons accomplished.

I thought that Harry did a wonderful job and my heart really went out to William when they showed him just staring down and looking so sad.

The one thing that really got on my nerves was the TV commentators. I kept wanting to yell at the TV how wrong they were about things, especially when they were (trying) to identify who was walking in to the chapel.

Well, the talking heads are just there to fill empty air space. No one in their right mind would pay them any mind at all.

Mind you, I know exactly what you mean. At the not yet crack of dawn that I got up at, I was not in a very tolerant mood, and my coffee took way too long to kick in, so I was ready to throw the TV out of the window and hope it would make it to hit them on the heads.

What a bunch of idiots.

And I have to say, I am quite proud of the Royal Family. Despite all of their differences with what Diana might have done, it was wonderful to see them out there supporting Wills and Harry. And wonderful to see Wills and Harry shaking up the mold a bit, if not quite breaking it.

And all I have to say about Earl Spencer - well the man was a cad and a fool at the funeral and I could not be happier that we were all spared his mouth and idiocy at the memorial. The best thing that man could do would be to sew his mouth permanently shut. (As well as his pants, but that's another topic)

Harry And Will Spoke Very Well About Their Mother. I Know They Miss Her Alot.

And all I have to say about Earl Spencer - well the man was a cad and a fool at the funeral and I could not be happier that we were all spared his mouth and idiocy at the memorial. The best thing that man could do would be to sew his mouth permanently shut. (As well as his pants, but that's another topic)

He was a cad at the funeral. I don't think so. He was the voice for the people's princess at that time.:angel:

Considering that he was lecturing the royal family about how to treat their spouses while his girlfriend was sitting in the Abbey and his wife was back in South Africa having been effectively abandoned and driven to a state of nervous collapse, I sincerely hope he wasn't the voice or role model for anything. If the princes had had any notion at all of letting him get up on his hind legs at the memorial service and give the royal family another lecture about how to treat spouses, I hope the way he abandoned his second wife gave them a hint that it wouldn't be a good idea.

Diana will always be remembered publicly though....

By way of history, yes.

Generations grow and new ones abound. Diana has been gone 10 years and already a new generation is upon us.

She will be recalled in the memories of those of us who were old enough to remember, but any need for a further display of remembrance in her memory is not necessary.

I respectfully disagree, Madame Royale.

If the Royal Family think that Diana's memory will be put to rest they have another think coming. Diana, Princess of Wales has already achieved the immortality of John Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe or even Elvis. These things engender a life of their own generally following an unexpected and traumatic death. The die is cast; her star was too bright and shining to be easily extinguished. Good thing or bad thing isn't the point - it just is.

I thought the memorial service was well planned, sensitive, duly appropriate, and that the music was especially wonderful. I found it gratifying to see some people who had disliked Diana and even some who'd helped smear her and ridicule her praying for her soul's repose and eternal peace. The Duchess was wont to refer to Diana as 'the mouse', but by golly, she roared yesterday.

I thought that the dress-code was odd. Except for the Queen,the York princesses and Camilla al Fayed, everyone else looked frumpy, though what one plans to wear to such a high profile, televised memorial, I couldn't say.

It was good to see nearly all royals present, proof of Her Majesty's powers of 'persuasion'. I thought that I did see Zara and Peter, with Harry, at the end of the service, though they hurried off after exchanging kisses. It was pleasant to see the younger royals all behaving so affectionately towards William and Harry and these two young men respond in kind. I couldn't help reflecting that if the older royals had been more open and honest in their relationships and less stuffy and isolated from reality, then so many of their problems would have evaporated before they became even noticeable.

I did indeed enjoy the service but I join with many others in hoping that this is the last of them. Hopefully, the princes have now fully ensured their beloved mother's role in the pantheon to their satisfaction (let anyone now slander the future King's mother!) and can let her memory continue to flourish in peace and harmony.

Finally, I wish them all well and happy and hope the the Prince and new Princess of Wales can enjoy the rest of their lives and families. The folly of the past is behind them and they owe it to us, too, to proceed with dignity and honour.

Princess Anne a the service

Several comments were made about Princess Anne's outfit, but finding this picture I think it was actually rather smart - and you can see she DID wear a hat, although it was small and neat and at the back of her head.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/th_Anneatmemorial-is_15360761.jpg

Plus someone asked about Lady Jane - I found this of her but not yet of her children (not that I might recognize them anyway!)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/th_LadyjaneFellowes-is_15360991.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I made no mention of what the royal family in turn, thinks.

Respectfully disagree? Why of course but I meant further display as in a memorial service, Polly. There is no need to again revisit the events of this year.

And I did make note that by recorded history, Diana shall be remembered so that is no different to say Marilyn or John.

Those of us who lived the same time as Diana will always recall the events, and those who were not of an age to recall, shall not. They, and future generations, will learn of her but they shall not remember.

Last edited:
does anyone have a picture of Viscount and Viscountess Linley? I thought I saw their names on the guest list but I haven't seen a picture of them. Thanks.
Here are two pics, maggierose , one of Serena in the bus and one that shows the couple with David Furnish :):

Pic 1 ** Pic

As many of you have said before, it's been a very very nice memorial service,
it's great that nearly the whole royal family attended. The two most touching
moments for me have been Harry's speech and to see little Domenica, Diana's
godchild. It's so wonderful that Rosa brought her daughter with her, not all
of her daughters but especially this one as to the special relationship!

GillW, I saw Laura Fellowes there in one of the pics at Rex which I posted on a couple of pages past. :)

I think everyone behaved well and respectfully. Prince William and Prince Harry showed courtesy to everyone who attended without any apparently anxious or otherwise negative feelings. All the young ones in the Windsor and Spencer clans interacted with each other jovially, and the adults were quite well-behaved to each other, even Earl Spencer was fine! :D But one question about him: Is he legally separated or divorced from Caroline? I remember reading recently, either in Hello! or Daily Mail, that they were "estranged" but I assumed they were still legally married. Her absence from the service makes me wonder.

Prince Charles seemed very proud of his sons. As for the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, I will just say that this memorial service can't have been an easy thing for them. In light of that, and of their age, I think they conducted themselves admirably. A lot is asked and expected of them. For people who are scruntinized so much, it's amazing how close to perfectly they behave. ;)

Zara was at the Burghley Horse Trials, but Peter was there of course.
It was wonderful to see such a hearty turn out from the royal family, the Windsors, and the Spencers. Some of them had very good relations with Diana -- especially the young ones, and those of similar age to Diana like Prince Edward, Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Helen Taylor, the Linleys. I think the Gloucesters loved her too.

Hi C-T,
you say so, then I have no doubt that Zara was at Burghley, but are you sure that she didn't attend Diana's memorial?

Not that it matters, but I was sure that I saw her kiss Harry before departing, rather quickly.

It's a small matter, after all.

Best,

Of course The Queen is not emotionless. I only referred to the two readings by the Prince in which you could see Prince Charles be glowing of love and pride and also -when Prince Harry spoke- touched by the tender words.

The Queen and The Duke next to him were emotionless during the service. That is what I meant.

Back
Top Bottom