The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Prince Charles really showed his love for his children. For me when he asked Harry about having his speech on him spoke volumes.
I loved seeing the interaction between the boys and their father, it really warms my heart. I think Charles is a great father...it seems like they have a close and loving relationship.

BTW thanks to the members who have posted photos of the Spencer family. It is great to see photos of William and Harry's cousins, you don't really get to see them very often. How beautiful they all are!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Serene Highness

Thanksgiving for Diana - Top Stories - News - Mirror.co.uk

good story in the mirror
*quote from article "
*As the two boys, now men, walked out of the service and into the rest of their lives, the lunchtime crowd went quietly back to work. And it seemed as if the overwhelming emotion this time was not grief, but relief - as if Britain had been liberated from the grip of some sickness and was now well enough to move on once more.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Nobility

I also found it heartwarming to see the interaction between Prince William and Prince Harry and their father and grandparents. When they were standing outside of the chaple before they went in, it was amusing to see Prince Charles make sure that Prince Harry hadn't forgotten his speech.

The service itself was lovely and dignified and I really enjoyed the music, it was appropriate for the occasion and very moving.

For me Prince Harry's tribute to their mother was so hearfelt that I had tears in my eyes. When the camera panned to Prince William, even though he had his head down you could tell by his facial expression that he was barely composed. He looked like he was holding back the tears.

I think many people did not realise that it was planned that Prince William would read a passage from the bible and Prince Harry would give a short speech.
According to the article below, Prince Harry consulted with Prince William when choosing his words for the tribute, so they worked on it together. Indeed, the first words of his speech were "William and I".

I think it would have been a bit much for both princes to give speeches. I also think that Prince Harry gave the personal tribute instead of reading a bible verse because Prince William's reading wasn't just for himself as Diana's son, but as a Windsor.
Diana's sister Sarah gave a reading for the Spencers, so that means Prince Harry could speak for both of Diana's sons. In this manner, all family members on both sides were represented.

Harry leads Diana memorial tributes

"..Speaking also for Prince William, whom he consulted over his words, Harry called for his mother to be remembered as she would have wanted.."
Harry leads Diana memorial tributes | the Daily Mail

It's nice that the princes were of one accord, and it's even nicer that both princes paid so much attention to detail that they chose to have one of them sit with their Spencer family relatives and the other sit with their Windsor family relatives. That way everyone was seen to be included.

I do feel that the bible passage Prince William read from St. Paul's Epistle to the Ephesians was very appropriate for the situation because it was about the depth of the love of Christ and inner strength.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post

good story in the mirror
*quote from article "

*As the two boys, now men, walked out of the service and into the rest of their lives, the lunchtime crowd went quietly back to work. And it seemed as if the overwhelming emotion this time was not grief, but relief - as if Britain had been liberated from the grip of some sickness and was now well enough to move on once more.
Well, apart from the die-hard Diana fanatics and their enablers in the Daily Mail, of course.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Aristocracy

Well, that was a yummy memorial for Diana although some might have felt like they were eating crow. Now for an Encore -- I do believe they should build a Diana Memorial on the same grand scale as the Lincoln Memorial -- maybe one right across from Buckingham Palace?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhontella View Post
Well, that was a yummy memorial for Diana although some might have felt like they were eating crow. Now for an Encore -- I do believe they should build a Diana Memorial on the same grand scale as the Lincoln Memorial -- maybe one right across from Buckingham Palace?
??? Eeerh... I would not dare to compare Diana to the greatness of Abraham Lincoln....
Old 09-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Indeed not. Even the latest addition of Nelson Mandela alongside Churchill and Lincoln has raised eyebrows so I don't think a Diana statue would be at all welcomed there.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Aristocracy

Churchill, Lincoln and Mandela all achieved their "greatness" in times of war, and as Victors, their PR Spinning was a fait accompli. Diana achieved her greatness in peace time with all the Palace PR machinery spinning against her. Now to level the playing field on who deserves the biggest memorial, handicaps should be assigned.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness

as long as it isn't a romance novel replica like at harrods- thats the most over the top tacky piece of sculpture i've ever seen. perhaps she'll be honored well when her son is king- as it is i cringe when i think of the guest list for the unveiling of anything in london (a repeat of the memorial fiasco is just tooooo awful to think about). i love diana but i don't put her on the level (with or without handicaps) with churchill, lincoln or madela
Old 09-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
Of course The Queen is not emotionless. I only referred to the two readings by the Prince in which you could see Prince Charles be glowing of love and pride and also -when Prince Harry spoke- touched by the tender words.

The Queen and The Duke next to him were emotionless during the service. That is what I meant.
Doesn't The Queen call this her "Miss Piggyface" expression??

By nature and mostly in public, she has a "set expression" on her face. The only formal religious service where she has smiled more than once was Prince Andrew's wedding, as far as I remember in a few decades of royal watching.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it all went well. I think the boys got to say in public what they have wanted to say for a long time. They obviously loved their mother very much. They also love their father and you can see his love for them. No walls came tumbling down, just a nice rememberance for someone they loved and were too young to speak for and about at the time of her death. I think they did themselves proud.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post

good story in the mirror
*quote from article "

Despite shelves full of books written by everyone even remotely associated with Diana (including the housekeeper who cleaned her carpet!), the 2 people who have mattered the most to me in their perspectives of Diana were always William and Harry. I've waited a long time for my thoughts to be validated that she was indeed a "Supermom".

How nice and refreshing it is William and Harry are standard bearers for her now. She is no longer defined as only a Spencer, Windsor, jet-setter, emotional wreck,etc., but simply as "The best mother in the world".

I knew William and Harry would triumph in the end over those who cashed in on Diana.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
I think it all went well. I think the boys got to say in public what they have wanted to say for a long time. They obviously loved their mother very much. They also love their father and you can see his love for them. No walls came tumbling down, just a nice rememberance for someone they loved and were too young to speak for and about at the time of her death. I think they did themselves proud.

I agree with this sentiment and Pinkie's as well;I think it's time to remember Diana for being a good mother and a philanthropist and to
ignore the avalanche of the "make-a-profit-on-Diana-poor quality-material and salacious news" miscellania that is floating about these days.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by misselle View Post
I agree with this sentiment;I think it's time to remember Diana for being a good mother and a philanthropist and to
ignore the avalanche of the "make-a-profit-on-Diana-poor quality-material and salacious news" miscellania that is floating about these days.
Right on misselle, its time we remember Diana as a good mother and one of the world's greatest humanitarians.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:54 PM

http://i19.tinypic.com/4tp4xsj.jpg

I see Raine is still a firm supporter of the bumroll. Can you imagine if old Babs was still with us? It would indeed have been a sight to see the great pink alp float down the aisle shouting, "Coooeee!" to the Queen.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Nobility

{response to deleted post removed - Elspeth}

But who can forget Raine, Diana's stepmother, grinning from ear to ear like the Cheshire Cat and wearing white to Diana's funeral in 1997???

I can't.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Although I admit to being a champion of Harry's, I think he did a great job with his eulogy. If he wrote most of it himself, he's a pretty good speaker! It was a very sweet speech and he did a good job crediting both his parents for raising them (a pretty sensitive area, we all know).

William looked pretty emotional during the speech IMO.

I'm glad they were finally able to give their memorial to their mother and maybe this will bring some closure to a difficult period in their lives.

The York girls looked wonderful but it seemed strange to see them ahead of the Wessexes, without their father. And I wish Sophie would get rid of that hat.

But all in all, I think it was a healing event. Thank you BBC for bringing some better coverage, although I still didn't see the whole thing.

Oh, Patrick Jephson was commenting on this memorial highlighting problems between Charles and Camilla. "His" people don't like her allegedly, and "his" out-of-touch people are unable to produce events without some avoidable complication (like announcing that Camilla would attend). And now they say Camilla's jetted off to the Mediterranean (I guess we should have preferred that she stay at Clarence House and pout about not being wanted).

Too bad that, despite this being a healing closure, my cousin Camilla is still going to get pilloried over this event.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhontella View Post
I would like to know how the British taxpayers among us feel about a Diana Memorial of the magnificent scale of Lincoln Memorial!
However, I won't entirely disagree with you. I think a Diana statue of some smaller scale might be appropriate, perhaps one overlooking the Diana fountain. As long as it's not a depiction of wedding-day Diana.... Mature, humanitarian Diana is the best.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
{response to deleted post removed - Elspeth}
But who can forget Raine, Diana's stepmother, grinning from ear to ear like the Cheshire Cat and wearing white to Diana's funeral in 1997???

I actually loved Princess Michael's outfit. It's by far my favourite on her. Raine actually wore black and white to Diana's funeral - the majority was black and yes she smiled but it's hardly the crime of the century. The RF did seem to get conflicting messages about what this was though - I was told it was a celebration and so the bright gay outfits were appropriate but others obviously took it as a second funeral and so wore black.

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, memorial, princess diana