The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Considering that he was lecturing the royal family about how to treat their spouses while his girlfriend was sitting in the Abbey and his wife was back in South Africa having been effectively abandoned and driven to a state of nervous collapse, I sincerely hope he wasn't the voice or role model for anything. If the princes had had any notion at all of letting him get up on his hind legs at the memorial service and give the royal family another lecture about how to treat spouses, I hope the way he abandoned his second wife gave them a hint that it wouldn't be a good idea.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Serene Highness

Photos:

Images of a special day: Diana's memorial service in pictures | the Daily Mail
Telegraph | Picture Gallery | DIANA REMEMBERED
The Prince of Wales - The Thanksgiving Service for Diana, Princess of Wales

Old 09-01-2007, 12:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Diana will always be remembered publicly though....
By way of history, yes.

Generations grow and new ones abound. Diana has been gone 10 years and already a new generation is upon us.

She will be recalled in the memories of those of us who were old enough to remember, but any need for a further display of remembrance in her memory is not necessary.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-01-2007, 02:45 AM
Courtier

I respectfully disagree, Madame Royale.

If the Royal Family think that Diana's memory will be put to rest they have another think coming. Diana, Princess of Wales has already achieved the immortality of John Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe or even Elvis. These things engender a life of their own generally following an unexpected and traumatic death. The die is cast; her star was too bright and shining to be easily extinguished. Good thing or bad thing isn't the point - it just is.

I thought the memorial service was well planned, sensitive, duly appropriate, and that the music was especially wonderful. I found it gratifying to see some people who had disliked Diana and even some who'd helped smear her and ridicule her praying for her soul's repose and eternal peace. The Duchess was wont to refer to Diana as 'the mouse', but by golly, she roared yesterday.

I thought that the dress-code was odd. Except for the Queen,the York princesses and Camilla al Fayed, everyone else looked frumpy, though what one plans to wear to such a high profile, televised memorial, I couldn't say.

It was good to see nearly all royals present, proof of Her Majesty's powers of 'persuasion'. I thought that I did see Zara and Peter, with Harry, at the end of the service, though they hurried off after exchanging kisses. It was pleasant to see the younger royals all behaving so affectionately towards William and Harry and these two young men respond in kind. I couldn't help reflecting that if the older royals had been more open and honest in their relationships and less stuffy and isolated from reality, then so many of their problems would have evaporated before they became even noticeable.

I did indeed enjoy the service but I join with many others in hoping that this is the last of them. Hopefully, the princes have now fully ensured their beloved mother's role in the pantheon to their satisfaction (let anyone now slander the future King's mother!) and can let her memory continue to flourish in peace and harmony.

Finally, I wish them all well and happy and hope the the Prince and new Princess of Wales can enjoy the rest of their lives and families. The folly of the past is behind them and they owe it to us, too, to proceed with dignity and honour.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:58 AM
Courtier

Princess Anne a the service

Several comments were made about Princess Anne's outfit, but finding this picture I think it was actually rather smart - and you can see she DID wear a hat, although it was small and neat and at the back of her head.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...s_15360761.jpg

Plus someone asked about Lady Jane - I found this of her but not yet of her children (not that I might recognize them anyway!)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...s_15360991.jpg
Old 09-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I made no mention of what the royal family in turn, thinks.

Respectfully disagree? Why of course but I meant further display as in a memorial service, Polly. There is no need to again revisit the events of this year.

And I did make note that by recorded history, Diana shall be remembered so that is no different to say Marilyn or John.

Those of us who lived the same time as Diana will always recall the events, and those who were not of an age to recall, shall not. They, and future generations, will learn of her but they shall not remember.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-01-2007, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggierose View Post
does anyone have a picture of Viscount and Viscountess Linley? I thought I saw their names on the guest list but I haven't seen a picture of them. Thanks.
Here are two pics, maggierose , one of Serena in the bus and one that shows the couple with David Furnish :

Pic 1 ** Pic

As many of you have said before, it's been a very very nice memorial service,
it's great that nearly the whole royal family attended. The two most touching
moments for me have been Harry's speech and to see little Domenica, Diana's
godchild. It's so wonderful that Rosa brought her daughter with her, not all
of her daughters but especially this one as to the special relationship!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:06 AM

GillW, I saw Laura Fellowes there in one of the pics at Rex which I posted on a couple of pages past.

I think everyone behaved well and respectfully. Prince William and Prince Harry showed courtesy to everyone who attended without any apparently anxious or otherwise negative feelings. All the young ones in the Windsor and Spencer clans interacted with each other jovially, and the adults were quite well-behaved to each other, even Earl Spencer was fine! But one question about him: Is he legally separated or divorced from Caroline? I remember reading recently, either in Hello! or Daily Mail, that they were "estranged" but I assumed they were still legally married. Her absence from the service makes me wonder.

Prince Charles seemed very proud of his sons. As for the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, I will just say that this memorial service can't have been an easy thing for them. In light of that, and of their age, I think they conducted themselves admirably. A lot is asked and expected of them. For people who are scruntinized so much, it's amazing how close to perfectly they behave.

Zara was at the Burghley Horse Trials, but Peter was there of course.
It was wonderful to see such a hearty turn out from the royal family, the Windsors, and the Spencers. Some of them had very good relations with Diana -- especially the young ones, and those of similar age to Diana like Prince Edward, Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Helen Taylor, the Linleys. I think the Gloucesters loved her too.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Courtier

Hi C-T,
you say so, then I have no doubt that Zara was at Burghley, but are you sure that she didn't attend Diana's memorial?

Not that it matters, but I was sure that I saw her kiss Harry before departing, rather quickly.

It's a small matter, after all.

Best,
Old 09-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
I don't think The Queen and the DOE are emotionless at all!!!!!!
Of course The Queen is not emotionless. I only referred to the two readings by the Prince in which you could see Prince Charles be glowing of love and pride and also -when Prince Harry spoke- touched by the tender words.

The Queen and The Duke next to him were emotionless during the service. That is what I meant.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Hi C-T,
you say so, then I have no doubt that Zara was at Burghley, but are you sure that she didn't attend Diana's memorial?

Not that it matters, but I was sure that I saw her kiss Harry before departing, rather quickly.

It's a small matter, after all.

Best,
Well, I can only say that I hope you are right and you did see her because this would be much more lovely! But I know she had the Burghley trials the same day, that's all, and I didn't see her at all!

Here is a continuation of post 114, more pics from Getty and Rex. (Sidenote: As also noted in post 114, from the Spencer clan some are still MIA, hehe, like Alexander Fellowes, Emily and Celia McCorquodale.)
Lady Annabel Goldsmith
Lady Annabel Goldsmith (is it only me or did she seem uncomfortable to others too?)
The beautiful Spencer twins - and a tidbit: they are students of Stowe School, if I remember, set to do A Levels in 2009
Lady Kitty Spencer Like the twins, she attended Stowe. Now I think she studies at Edinburgh Uni. (Her cousin Laura Fellowes studied at Edinburgh Uni also.)
Funny one of Sir Cliff Richard - Is he trying to get a taxicab or what?
Here we can see George McCorquodale looking pensive in background, and Prince Harry sorry to say, I don't know who is the gentleman strolling in front
Here we can see Baron Fellowes behind Gordon and Sarah Brown - this is the only time I noticed him in all the pics and showings
A fine one: Earl Spencer and Lady Sarah talking to Prince Harry
George M, Amelia Spencer, Earl Spencer
I am 99% sure this is Eleanor Fellowes next to Eliza Spencer
Here we can see the Earl of Ulster behind Prince Edward
Sir David and Lady Frost and their son Rex also had pics of them and called the son Miles but I am sure it must be wrong, because according to Getty this son is one of Diana's godchildren, and if so he must be the Hon. George Frost.
Ladies Rose Windsor and Davina Lewis
The Earl of Snowdon and ??

Some of you will note in post 4 that some of Diana's godchildren like Domenica Lawson and George Frost were at the service. The others are listed here. I will presume all of them were invited, but I hesitate to add them to the list of attendance on post 4.
I also presume most or all of the van Cutsems attended, but again I don't know for certain.
It would seem that Diana's pages & bridesmaids were all there, but from the press reports I can only confirm Sarah Jane Gaselee, India Hicks, Lord Nicholas Windsor, and Edward van Cutsem. Does anyone by chance know about the others?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Nobility

Is photo on Countess of Spencer,Raine is step-mother to Princess Diana? She come to Princess Dianas memorial day??
Old 09-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Is photo on Countess of Spencer,Raine is step-mother to Princess Diana? She come to Princess Dianas memorial day??
Yes. Diana's stepmother Raine de Chambrun* was there.

(* formerly known as:
Raine McCorquodale
The Honourable Mrs Gerald Legge
The Viscountess Lewisham
The Countess of Dartmouth
The Countess Spencer,
The Dowager Countess Spencer
La Comtesse de Chambrun
Raine de Chambrun)
Old 09-01-2007, 08:12 AM
Serene Highness

A Memorial for the World’s Princess

The New York Times > World > Slide Show > Remembering Diana > Slide 1 of 10
Old 09-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Good job on the footnote, Henri. It's funny about Raine's name. I think she would give anything to go back to being Dowager Countess spencer. Lucky for her, the media always call her as her most recognizable "Raine Spencer", as I presume she hates being stuck with the legally and technically correct "Raine de Chambrun."
Old 09-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Here is a continuation of post 114, more pics from Getty and Rex. (Sidenote: As also noted in post 114, from the Spencer clan some are still MIA, hehe, like Alexander Fellowes, Emily and Celia McCorquodale.)

That's Celia McOroquodale and Kitty still goes to Stowe being she is only 16 years old. as for the twins if im not mistaken they are still going to school in SOUTH AFRICA
Old 09-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Royal Highness

Harry had a wonderful speech, I don't think that he could have done better with it. I think that he will be remembered for this for a long time.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Commoner

Thanks for the pictures of Viscountess Linley, Iceflower! You made my day.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smgaries View Post

THATs CELIA MCCORQUODALE AND KITTY STILL GOES TO STOWE BEING SHE IS ONLY 16 YRS OLD...ooops...sorry for the caps letters
Thanks! I stand corrected with Getty. They said "Emily Fellowes" and I said Eleanor Fellowes. Poor Celia.

Here are some more pics from Isifa. My apologies if some are already posted. I tried to add different ones than posted before. Maybe smgaries can help ID other Spencer family members, such as here?
Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Prince Michael of Kent and family arriving in the finest style
Duke and Duchess of Kent
Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy
Sarah Jane Gaselee and boyfriend, father of her child (and clearly another child on the way)
India Hicks
The Duchess of Westminster and Emilie van Cutsem

Will post more soon...
Question: Was Julia and James Ogilvy at the service? Maybe their children too?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
.The Queen and The Duke next to him were emotionless during the service. That is what I meant.
I agree with you Henri. The Queen and The Duke did seem to me trying to gage the people at the memorial's response to them. During the service they were emotionless. And going up to be seated in service their faces seemed to have frozen smiles.

Remember, the people gathering there were the closest to Diana in life and would be the royals worst critic. I don't think the inquest into her death that is looming in the next few months helped matters, or Camilla.

Prince Charles really showed his love for his children. For me when he asked Harry about having his speech on him spoke volumes. Some other poster said that in seating Prince Charles did not sit close to his mother and father. He did leave a space. Also, when the service was over and he was outside the chapel the Queen asked him something and he did not response very positively to her. I think there is some tension between them.

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, memorial, princess diana