The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

I was so impressed by the service and the hearfelt way Prince Harry spoke from his heart.

There is no doubt both of these young men truly treasure their mother and the ENTIRE royal family know is by now in a clear manner. They may have been Windsorized...in a good way, but there is enough Diana in both of them.

Make no mistake....no one can try to erase or bad mouth their mother in front of them. They told the world that quite clearly....and their family as well...

How wonderful to see the entire blood royal family (except for Zara and Prince Andrew and Lord Harewood) there. All the cousins...Baron Downpatrick to the children of Lady Helen and the Earl and Countess of Ulster, etc.

I was stunned to see Peter kiss both of his cousins...in a good way stunned...

And they both talked and kissed everyone. I really enjoyed seeing cousins talk to each other whom you have never really seen publicly doing so.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:52 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
The Royalist - Solitary Voice Heckles Charles At Diana Memorial
(yea i know) is reporting a lone heckler when prince charles arrived. there was good applause for the queen and princes but total silence when the PoW arrived. i missed this happening did anyone else notice it. IF it did happen it only hurt her sons and they should be ashamed. that said if i were charles i'd be most afraid of the silence, imo a very telling moment and something to worry about. he was brave standing up there exposed to their wrath with i must say a sincere smile on his face since the crowd was directly across the street. the few shots of him at the service he showed more emotion than i expected while wills seemed stoneface and detached- i never saw him look up not even during harry's speech perhaps it was only when he knew the camera was on him.
I noticed someone yelling as Prince Charles walked up the steps, but I wasn't quite sure what they were saying. But if I remember correctly the yelling didn't continue as he stood on the steps with his sons. Maybe Prince Charles didn't even hear it, but if he did, he did an excellent job of ignoring it.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
I have to say, the Memorial left good impression on me as well. I'm glad they managed to carry everything out in such a dignified way. The family was indeed very warm, this picture is one of many that demonstrate that (Harry bents down to kiss the Queen, while William reaches out for his father).
Why where royal men wearing what appears to be the Blues and Royals Regimental tie?
William is reaching out to his Grandfather not his father.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Nobility

Post The Memorial Service 31 August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
IMHO, William has seems to become more and more Windsor. I know he has too because of his future role and Harry has more freedom but I would of loved to heard something of his personal side of his mother, not just a bible verse. Any one could have read a bible verse but very few people can really speak of the love and devotion of Diana as a mother. I know Diana would be proud of both of her sons, but I am really proud of Harry, especally at the age he was when his mother died. He has really grown into a wonderful young man.
I think maybe because of their roles or their future roles and the fact that William was always seen as academic which means may have been seen as better for Harry to do the speech. Since William also known to have the tendency to keep personal feelings to himself if he had spoken probably would have been emotional maybe even cried which gone against his public persona. Even though it would have been exceptable and even exspected but not seen as proper for him.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981 View Post
Why where royal men wearing what appears to be the Blues and Royals Regimental tie?
William is reaching out to his Grandfather not his father.
Prince Philip is Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, so he too wore the Household Cavalry tie. Prince Charles is CIC of one of the Cavalry regiments, though I can't remember which one at the moment. Other members of the family and the wider congregation who have served in the Household Cavalry also wore it. I noticed a few men who aren't family wearing it. I gather anyone with association to Household Cavalry was encouraged to wear it.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
Yes it was a wonderful service for remebering the life of the Princess of Wales. Does anybody know where you can watch the full service I only got to watch 15 minutes of it.
I looked through my tv guide and don't see a repeat listed. NBC are having a Dateline Special this evening starting at 9pm ET ( I think they said on MSNBC??) however in some areas such as Atlanta it will be pre-empted by NFL Football.

Okay..just looked again and Fox News will be reshowing it at 9pm ET.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:05 PM

The guest list in post 4 is updated.
BeatrixFan, as requested, your picture of Raine Spencer (hair seems no bigger, under the hat, than usual,though)
TinyPic - Share The Experience!™ (Getty)
Old 08-31-2007, 05:56 PM
Nobility

I've switched between Foxnews (sister station of SkyNews in GB) and MSNBC as they have had a good focus on royal news all day. Christopher Andersen pipes up promoting Kate Middleton, feigning astonishment each and everytime he mentions (I lost count at 8 times during the day) how Kate and William spent the night together before the Memorial Concert a few weeks ago. He keeps calling her the future Queen.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
BeatrixFan, as requested, your picture of Raine Spencer
Thankyou! Lovely dress, wierd hat, funky brooch. Lurvin it. Shame we havent seen the hair though but the absence of scaffolding suggests it wasn't any bigger.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Bravo to the two Princes for a wonderful remembance of their mother -- exactly as how she should be remembered -- their mother NOT fashion icon. We must all remember that these two incredible young men lost their mother -- not some pin-up. I think back to watching "The Queen" when the Queen Mother said something about "... those hysterics down in London needing help with their grief ..." HOW RIGHT! No one had any right to grieve or ask for help with their grief --- as much as her two sons.

This ceremony proved that while they absolultely loved and adored their mother -- as they should -- they are absolultely WINDSORS! They understand who they are, who they are not, and how to deal with it.

Harry's speech was brilliant. Thank God, Earl Spencer wasn't permitted the opportunity to speak -- he has some nerve judging others when he himself is an adulterer brought to court by two wives!

God Save the Queen and the Windsors!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Harry's tribute was moving and made me cry a little. I wish the camera hadn't focused on William for a good part of it, though. Were they trying to catch him losing his composure? Good grief! I though the Queen looked lovely. She is the epitome of dignity. If only she could get Princess Beatrice to see a stylist. She's is too pretty a girl to look like she shops at Goodwill.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

I saw some pictures of Earl Spencer's daughters over at Getty, and wow are they pretty. I still can't believe how grown up they are.
The only other cousins I recognized there were Sarah's two children, I believe. Did Jane and her children attend?
Old 08-31-2007, 06:42 PM

Here are some pictures from Rex.
Her Majesty and the principal royal men
Some people have wondered about the Household Cavalry tie. Well, of course Prince William and Prince Harry are Blues and Royals officers; Prince Philip is Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, another Household Cavalry unit; and Prince Charles is Colonel of the Welsh Guards.
Prince William, Prince Harry, the Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal, the Prince of Wales, Princess Beatrice
Princess Beatrice
Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie
Very pregnant Lady Nicholas Windsor (and you can see the hat of the Countess of St. Andrews next to her)
Peter Phillips kiss-greets Princess Beatrice
similar
Princess Eugenie and Princess Beatrice
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Gary and Lady Davina Lewis
Gary Lewis, the Countess of St Andrews, Lady Helen Taylor....
The Duchess of Kent
Prince Michael of Kent
Lady Gabriella Windsor and Princess Michael of Kent
Similar
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Daniel and Lady Sarah Chatto
Tim Taylor, Lady Helen, Lady Davina and Gary Lewis, the Earl of St Andrews, Lord Nicholas Windsor... (and a smidgeon of the Countess of St. Andrews)
Tim Taylor, Lady Helen, Prince William
Spencer side: George M talking to Prince Harry, Neil McCorquodale, the Ladies Spencer, and hardly seen Laura Fellowes (Neil McCorquodale wearing the much-talked-about Household Cavalry tie)

For christinacg's question: I have noticed only Laura & Eleanor Fellowes from Lady Jane's family, and of course Baron Fellowes, and from Lady Sarah's family, only George McCorquodale (and his father Neil as seen above) so far. Emily & Celia McCorquodale and Alexander Fellowes are still MIA.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
The brooch Queen Elizabeth is wearing, I believe, is one of the Russian brooches that Queen Mary acquired.
Not so.

Her Majesty wore the Duchess of Cambridge Pendant Brooch.

The brooch had belonged to Princess Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge and upon her death was inherited by her daughter, Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck who then bequeathed it to her daughter, Queen Mary

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Courtier

I know it may be taboo and scandalous but Camilla Al-Fayed would make a beautiful princess next to William or Harry...she is so chic and classic...
Old 08-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Nobility

Does anyone think this will be the "last" memorial service to Diana in the presence of the Windsors?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Does anyone think this will be the "last" memorial service to Diana in the presence of the Windsors?
Yep!! I most certainly do. There's no need for another.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Courtier

Diana will always be remembered publicly though...there's always going to be something her sons will be invovled in or something on tv, in books. It seems like Harry more than ever wants to see her live on positively...these tributes have really been a great a way to get rid of all the negative energy...
Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Nobility

Perhaps what would have been the 50th birthday of the princess will be noted by William and Harry again....just a scant 4 years from now.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

That's a great eulogy by Prince Henry. felt so much sadness listening to Prince Harry's eulogy that I became teary eyed.. Harry looks as though he was in so much pain.

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, memorial, princess diana