The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Courtier

I also agree with you, Empress. Maybe their presence was appropiate for Wembley, which was a completely different atmosphere...

Old 08-31-2007, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

How very nice. It all went well. Prince Harry was finally able to say all the things, I believe, he wanted the world to know about how he felt about his mother. The whole family looked lovely. The world didn't come to an end for all the naysayers. Very well done.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Royal Highness

The brooch Queen Elizabeth is wearing, I believe, is one of the Russian brooches that Queen Mary acquired.

The service was lovely, and I think that Prince Harry spoke beautifully of his mother. It was nice seeing the boys family (both Windsors and Spencers) come together for this. It was also nice of the boys to invite Dodi's sister. It was a nice, quiet service that got right down to it. I enjoyed the music also, (much more than the concert!)

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Princes William, Harry, charles, and Phillip were wearing the same tie.
They were in a military Chapel and wore their regimental ties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Just been looking at the pictures, and Harry certainly does seem to be "broadening out" - Is it just me or do others feel so as well?
Yes thought the same. The Prince seems to gain weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Yes, this is not uncommon with the Windsors. It seems to be a "European" custom, but is more likely just the way close Royals greet each other.
European? Isn't Britain also in Europe?

Yes, it is Continental. I do the same: kissing my male family as well close friends.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
No, and neither was Cheldy Davy. It appears that the Princes made the decision to include only those that knew Diana, and furthermore it was said (by Robin Leech) that they thought that having their girlfriends there would have distracted from the point of the memorial. I quite agree. It would have been a windstorm of are they/aren't they.
I had on Fox News this morning before work. They kept the camera on one young dark haired girl for a while. At quick glance I thought it was her but realized it wasn't when I really looked at her. The cameraman and the producers in the control room must have been convinced they had her because they only kept the camera on the family or famous people that long.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Serene Highness

The Royalist - Solitary Voice Heckles Charles At Diana Memorial
(yea i know) is reporting a lone heckler when prince charles arrived. there was good applause for the queen and princes but total silence when the PoW arrived. i missed this happening did anyone else notice it. IF it did happen it only hurt her sons and they should be ashamed. that said if i were charles i'd be most afraid of the silence, imo a very telling moment and something to worry about. he was brave standing up there exposed to their wrath with i must say a sincere smile on his face since the crowd was directly across the street. the few shots of him at the service he showed more emotion than i expected while wills seemed stoneface and detached- i never saw him look up not even during harry's speech perhaps it was only when he knew the camera was on him.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra65 View Post
I had on Fox News this morning before work. They kept the camera on one young dark haired girl for a while. At quick glance I thought it was her but realized it wasn't when I really looked at her. The cameraman and the producers in the control room must have been convinced they had her because they only kept the camera on the family or famous people that long.
That probably was Camilla Al Fayed.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Royal Highness

i love all, thanks for the videos. without any dout this 2 princes know how to organize something. first a big consert and now this beloved service.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Commoner

Beautiful service!! Eugenie looked gorgeous and royal!! I have great respect for the Princess Royal but when is she going to learn how to dress... She's so fit for her age but she looks older than Her Majesty. I know that it's probably not important for her but get at least a minimum of taste. Zara please do something!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I loved the speech of Prince Harry. It was so true and so heartly. I had cried when Harry hold the speech.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Gentry

Prince Harry's speech was very moving. I couldn't help but cry. Diana would be so proud of her boys. I also loved that Harry was sitting on the Spencer's side to show solidarity with their mother's side of the family.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
The brooch Queen Elizabeth is wearing, I believe, is one of the Russian brooches that Queen Mary acquired.
This brooch of the Queen's is the Duchess of Cambridge pearl brooch. It belonged to Princess Augusta, Duchess of Cambridge (she was painted wearing it in 1877) and went to Queen Mary's mother, Princess Mary Adeleaide Duchess of Teck on the death of the Duchess. It was inherited by Queen Mary in1897 on the death of her mother. The present Queen inherited it in 1953.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Serene Highness

I was so impressed with Prince Harry, his speech to me really signified the difference between the two boys. I love PW but to me PH is so much more his mothers son. IMHO, William has seems to become more and more Windsor. I know he has too because of his future role and Harry has more freedom but I would of loved to heard something of his personal side of his mother, not just a bible verse. Any one could have read a bible verse but very few people can really speak of the love and devotion of Diana as a mother. I know Diana would be proud of both of her sons, but I am really proud of Harry, especally at the age he was when his mother died. He has really grown into a wonderful young man.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Serene Highness

First off, thank you everyone for the links! I managed to catch most of the memorial this morning. I thought it was in good taste and very well done. I agree w everyone who said Diana would be very proud of her sons. All the royals looked fabulous. Too bad Prince Andrew had other previous engagements and couldn't make it (any excuse to look at him!) but those Windsor boys are breathtakingly handsome!!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Gentry

The Spencers have very good genes. Earl Spencer's daughters are stunning.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes it was a wonderful service for remebering the life of the Princess of Wales. Does anybody know where you can watch the full service I only got to watch 15 minutes of it.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I was so ticked off by the Today Show. They preferred talking heads rather than live coverage. And they showed William doing the reading (which was okay) but cut Harry's remarks off just as he started to speak.

And they had Patrick Jephson saying he didn't know why he hadn't been invited to the service. (Can you say, DENSE?)

I hope somebody puts it on youtube and I'll just have to suffer through the computer problems.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I was so ticked off by the Today Show. They preferred talking heads rather than live coverage. And they showed William doing the reading (which was okay) but cut Harry's remarks off just as he started to speak.
That is the "american way" I think. The TV networks think that they know more than those watching. It is irritating especially when many times their 'experts' are wrong. MSNBC was showing full coverage of the service while NBC's Today show appeared to just be picking up the hi-lites. They had Christopher Andersen on saying how it was the Queen and her staff that put the guest list and service details together. Hmm..I thought it was Clarence House?

More than one network kept referring to Camilla as Mrs Parker-Bowles instead of The Duchess of Cornwall too. I guess it makes better drama to keep Camilla in the mistress category instead of now being Charles's Wife. Pretty sad considering this the networks "News" Divisions--where facts are supposed to be the norm.

MSNBC followed the service with their revisiting history program by reshowing the funeral service. Interestingly, they showed everything but Elton John's Candle in the Wind--at the end of the coverage the announcer said that the News Media are prohibited from showing that part of the service.

BBC America had the memorial service as well although it too was irritating. Not the actual showing the service as they were using the BBC so the break ins for commentary were minimal. It was the inopportune times they chose to go to commercial--right in midsentence more than once.

I thought it was a beautiful service. Sadly, I think the words about letting things be and let Diana rest in peace now..just won't happen. Too much money still to be made yet!!
Old 08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Nobility

Up before the sun to watch this moving tribute...

I'm a bit more liberal and creative in my views on memorials (as I tend to like the kind where balloons or doves are released with a video tribute and a little more relaxed) but leave it to the royals to have the most exquisite music which so correctly fits the mood. Very proper British royal service. Predictable, but that's ok and expected with the royals.

I cried when Prince Harry spoke so lovingly of his mother...Doesn't every mother yearn for such words?

MSNBC has already replayed the 1997 funeral today (sans Elton's tribute as that footage is owned by Elton's record label) and plans to pay tribute to Diana all weekend long.

The local Dallas morning show (Good Morning Texas) had Darren McGrady in for a special interview (he is usually cooking something). Today he was a "talk only guest" speaking how he remembered turning on the telly on August 31, 1997, and thinking the newscasters were playing a "red nose day" joke so he switched off the telly, he gathered up the food for the evening meal and headed to Kensington Palace to get a start on the evening meal for Diana and the Princes. He said the Princess was due to fly into Heathrow VIP later in the day. It wasn't until Mr. Julius, the princess' lawyer sent a fax of her last will and testament that he believed Diana had indeed passed away.

He talked about how Diana would often come into the kitchen to talk and the subject could have been what Her Majesty The Queen had told her (he put his fingers in his ears when he said this) or it could have been what had happened to characters on her soap operas.

He mentioned that Diana had to fully feel she could trust her employees. "Trust" was important to her.

He also mentioned Prince William often would come into the kitchen, grab some Haagen Daz Chocolate chocolate chip ice cream and sit in the window sill, trying to hide from his mother. Diana was very proud William had inherited the tall Spencer gene.

Mr. McGrady now works for a Dallas couple and is often in the local news with his projects and people who hire him for charity events. He is a very nice man..not full of airs at all...

When asked if Diana was a good eater, he said sometimes and at other times, no. She adored "comfort food".
Old 08-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks, Pinkie40, for that insight. I can almost see her sitting in a kitchen chatting w the staff like a "regular" person.

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, memorial, princess diana