The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-01-2007, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
{response to deleted post removed - Elspeth}
But who can forget Raine, Diana's stepmother, grinning from ear to ear like the Cheshire Cat and wearing white to Diana's funeral in 1997???

I can't.
The Countess Spencer wore a black and white outfit at the Princess of Wales' funeral. She even took the time to read and look at some of the flowers and messages before she entered the abbey.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:55 PM

Indeed. We should thank ourselves lucky that Babsy Cartland left the pink at home for a morning.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Nobility

Different cultures have different colors of mourning. For instance, when the Queen Mum travelled to France during her husband's reign, her mother had just passed away and it would not have been appropriate for Her Majesty to have been draped in black. The situation was solved when her designer realized the color white is appropriate in France to be worn by a person in mourning. She was a chic fashion sensation on that particular trip.

Most people in America see this particular week (white not worn after Labor Day) to transition their wardrobes from Summer to Autumn. I am not sure about such customs in UK, though.

Considering Diana was a vibrant creature herself, I guess "anything goes" if it is in good taste. The British, by nature and what I have encountered, are much more subdued and formal when it comes to such events as yesterday's memorial.

Unless a person was highly identified with a particular color (Diana seems to elicit the color of "Chanel Blue" from a particular suit she wore in 1997. It
is used in the end papers of several books about her and is prominent in the colors of the "Diana" dress roadshow Spencer souveniers..and worn yesterday by her great friend Rosa Monckton), it is up to the individual to express their own style and memories with respect to a church service.

Raine is,by far,her "own person" and fits not into one particular catagory. Her decorating tastes have been deemed "frightful" by those inspecting her endeavors. And yes, her hair has a "life" of it's own, rivalling any "high hair" Dallas Diva of a certain age.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
The Countess Spencer wore a black and white outfit at the Princess of Wales' funeral. She even took the time to read and look at some of the flowers and messages before she entered the abbey.
Stopping only so she would have been photographed enough, imo.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:07 PM

Black is usual for funerals in the UK. I did attend an actor's funeral were around 20 drag queens were present in full get-up which was odd but I think any colours other than black suggest eccentricity or some kind of snub. Certainly a woman never wears red to a funeral for obvious reasons.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Aristocracy

Who can deny that Diana would be very proud of her boys? They did a superb job -- made all the more poignant by their slight nervousness and sense of vulnerability.
Charles must be so very proud as well. They were inclusive in a wonderful way. Despite the friction that a family such as theirs is bound to experience (understatement?), their boys are the glue that holds them all together.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Aristocracy

I missed the excitement the other day and didn't get to watch the coverage, but I'm dieing for a link to see Harry sitting with the Spencers. I havn't found one in the links posted so sorry if missed something...Thanks
Old 09-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Black is usual for funerals in the UK. I did attend an actor's funeral were around 20 drag queens were present in full get-up which was odd but I think any colours other than black suggest eccentricity or some kind of snub. Certainly a woman never wears red to a funeral for obvious reasons.
Black in the States is for all kind of occassions. There are now black and white weddings, which are lovely. Black evening dresses are often very elegant. Black used to be reserved for funerals, but now one wears what one has. So if you do not have an appropriate outfit in black you can wear blue or gray or yellow for that matter of fact. It is also the time of the year and the weather that will dictate colors and fabrics. The color of your outfit doesn't show respect or caring, it is what is in your heart.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:59 PM

True but I think most people in the UK feel out of place in anything other than black.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Also, when the service was over and he was outside the chapel the Queen asked him something and he did not response very positively to her. I think there is some tension between them.
Really? Where can I see this?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Serene Highness

Some of the Diana tributes

http://www.thesun.co.uk/slideshow/0,...073464,00.html
Old 09-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, I think that Raine has about as much couth and manners as her step son, that is to say none at all.

They both want to be high society and think that they are better than others, and while he might be entitled to some of that feeling given his rank, she certainly is not. (never mind that I don't think anyone is better than anyone else)

She was a gold digger to begin with and she just keeps on digging. If she could find some class that would be a good thing, but that will happen when hell freezes over, pigs grow wings and cows excrete gold brick... which is to say never.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness

Boys show Di's compassion

The Sun Online - Royals: Boys show Di's compassion
Old 09-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Indeed. We should thank ourselves lucky that Babsy Cartland left the pink at home for a morning.

She's still alive? Isn't she pushing 105 by now?

The memorial service was lovely and Prince Harry's speech was very touching.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
She's still alive? Isn't she pushing 105 by now?
Oh no, I meant at the funeral. Barbara's well and truly dead. Died in 2000 and was buried in a cardboard coffin to the strains of "My Way".

Quote:
Well, I think that Raine has about as much couth and manners as her step son, that is to say none at all. They both want to be high society and think that they are better than others, and while he might be entitled to some of that feeling given his rank, she certainly is not. (never mind that I don't think anyone is better than anyone else). She was a gold digger to begin with and she just keeps on digging. If she could find some class that would be a good thing, but that will happen when hell freezes over, pigs grow wings and cows excrete gold brick... which is to say never.
Oh I must disagree with you, Raine is really a smart lady and much loved by the circle she moves in. She was treated appallingly by the Spencers after the Earl died. What with her mother and her step-children to deal with, it's a wonder she never had a nervous break down. I can promise you, she certainly doesn't deserve the Acid Raine moniker - she's amazingly sweet, very friendly and is extremely classy. I have to say that despite my persuasion I quite fell in love with her when I met her - she's a huge presence but a real lady with plenty of class.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:23 PM

Wasn't the late Earl Spencer over the moon in love with Raine? She should also have credit for getting the late Earl through his strokes. It seems she was a strong force for his recovery. She also, I think, helped him immensely to clear away his debts, which his children and grandchildren might thank her for!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:32 PM

Yes he was, couldn't get enough of her. Certainly the Spencers were lacking in funds when Raine came along and she got rid of alot of paintings etc so that they could keep the estate. Diana rejected that of course, as did the other Spencer kids but you're right - without Raine, they wouldn't have Althorp and thats particularly sad when you consider that the new Earl practically threw Raine out.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Oh no, I meant at the funeral. Barbara's well and truly dead. Died in 2000 and was buried in a cardboard coffin to the strains of "My Way".

Shame on you... that's just so w-r-o-n-g.

I believe what matters, in regards to Raine, is that she and Diana patched things up a bit prior to her death. That says quite a bit on both sides.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post

Shame on you... that's just so w-r-o-n-g.
And true! She was buried by a tree that she said had been planted by Elizabeth I and Barbara insisted on a cardboard coffin because she believed in protecting the environment. Well, apart from the hairspray of course. I dont think Diana and Barbara could ever have patched things up. The Dame's response when asked about the divorce? "Well, no Englishman likes to eat alone my darling and if you leave your man to eat alone, he'll go and eat with someone else. And that's not all he'll do". And phrases in that mould. Didn't go down well.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

For someone who used a whole can of Aqua Net per hairdo, she would be the last person on earth I thought who would actully care about the enviroment. Besides doesn't cardboard become all moldy whilst stuck the type of soil found in the UK?

The memorial will re-air on BBC America this Sunday just in case US members didn't get a chance to see it live. Also, the WE network will be showing nothing but Diana documentaries and the movie Diana: Her True Story featuring Serena Scott Thomas until early Monday morning.

Tags
british royal family, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, memorial, princess diana