The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997)

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Serene Highness

The Late Princess of Wales' Likes and Dislikes

As someone who has always loved learning about Princess Diana, I want to know more about what she liked, what she couldn't abide. My list so far:

Likes: Her children (loves not likes), America, Jimmy Choo shoes (her "tart trotters" she called them for their height), Goutal perfume, pearls, Butler & Wilson faux jewels, massage and aromatherapy, chicken and shephard's pie, chocolates like kit kats, walks by the sea, books on Jackie O and Audrey Hepburn, videos (what was the one Burrell mentioned in his book as her favorite?), Jantzen swimsuits, stuffed animals, Fogal tights, la Perla underwear, and events allowing her to meet and interact with the needy.

Dislikes: Tiggy the nanny, tiaras (too heavy; gave her headaches), the paparazzi (distinct from the photographers who worked with her for beautiful photos), the men who "run" the Family, events in hot weather, alcohol ("I'm afraid I'll become addicted like too many others in my family), the Prince of Wales' carpet in the Front Hall at Kensington Palace ("gaudy"), "people who make money off of me." (if only she knew how many did it after her death!).

Old 10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Dislikes: Tiggy the nanny, tiaras (too heavy; gave her headaches), the paparazzi (distinct from the photographers who worked with her for beautiful photos), the men who "run" the Family, events in hot weather, alcohol ("I'm afraid I'll become addicted like too many others in my family), the Prince of Wales' carpet in the Front Hall at Kensington Palace ("gaudy"), "people who make money off of me." (if only she knew how many did it after her death!).
Hey Maryshawn :)

I agree on all things you have mentioned (I think no explanation is needed for disliking Tiggy Legg-Bourke ) , but in fact she did LOVE tiara's!! Escpecially the Spencer Tiara. She loved it. The "Lovers Knot" (if that was the other tiara she owned) was very disliked by Diana, because it was to heavy and it caused headaches, as you already said.

But the Spencer tiara was loved by Diana, just for your information :)

Old 10-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Commoner

Hello maryshawn, I love princess Diana and I love to know many things about her too , I'm agree with you in all the things, did you know she liked the song "I will always love you" by Withney Houston? she heard it many times when she was in Highgrove with Charles, I read it in the Burrell's book. Diana hated smoking too, I suppose she will be sad from heaven seeing her children smoking. Definitly Diana was a very healthy woman, isn't she?, no smoke, no alcohol, yes exercise ... royal_sophie is right, Diana loved Spencer's tiara, and she was very sad when she had to give it to her brother.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:32 AM
Heir Apparent

thanks for everythings,maryshawn!

im sure Princess Diana dislikes as tiggy the nanny because she recalled of losses baby and tiggy have affair with Prince Charles and lots more! but Diana been mostly photographer woman in the world making she getting headaches for her all the times i read in the book i really agree it but Diana hold her purses hold by their faces they wont show it! im sure Diana really love tiara lots but she dislikes tiara because its really making her as headaches lots!

Princess Diana really love Jimmy Choo's shoes lots since she been tours lots and she been at theatres,ballet,etc because he making shoe for Princess Diana what Diana really wanted it for trip! but Diana needs walk with heels she like to walk more tallest but its more warning what i read in Diana's dressing her shoe designer says the designer told Diana about warning more near the people when Diana can walk with heels!

Sara Boyce
Old 10-14-2004, 02:56 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you all for your replies.....you are right; she did love the Spencer family tiara and was very hurt when her brother demanded she return it--for no good reason. I have more to add.

Likes: San Lorenzo restaurant, pasta and chicken, Jaegre le Coultre watches, alternative therapies, aromatherapy (always had candles burning with various scents), her sitting room which was very cozy, vacations in warm climates, tanning in her own tanning booth, Diorissimo perfume, Fogal nylons, Ray-ban sunglasses, Jantzen swimsuits, and casual outings to McDonalds with her sons. Even before her marriage, she enjoyed her Big Mac now and then..... She also had a huge collection of Stuffed animals. She loved books too--biographies of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Audrey Hepburn were favorites, Barbara Cartland novels and books about subjects she was interested in like Islam. She even read Gray's Anatomy to be more informed when she was dating Hasnat Khan, the surgeon.

Dislikes: Sleeping w/o light on outside her door, the nighttime in general, being alone, frilly clothes (later in life) including her wedding dress (she told designer Robert Devorik when she saw a photo of it, it was packed away and she hoped moths had reduced some of the volume of the dress and then said "yuck!" regarding the dress), and the Queen's corgis.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:55 AM
Courtier

I wonder that barbara cartland, famous writer.. her stepgrandmother right???

karla
Old 10-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64
I wonder that barbara cartland, famous writer.. her stepgrandmother right???

karla
yeh i believe she was her stepgrandmother
Old 10-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Courtier

Yes, Barbara was the mother of Raine, Diana's stepmother :)
Old 10-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies.....you are right; she did love the Spencer family tiara and was very hurt when her brother demanded she return it--for no good reason. I have more to add.
oh my gosh!
how dare Diana saw that pictures? she found out? and the HM Queen's corgis!
Sara Boyce
Old 10-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Serene Highness

The corgi story is funny....once when Diana was having dinner with the Queen she wore red tights and she had a hard time discreetly fending off the corgis who thought her legs were edible meat!
Old 10-15-2004, 12:29 AM
Serene Highness

Also, the funny thing about her step-grandmother, Raine's mum, Barbara Cartland is Diana loved her books but did not particularly like Mrs. Cartland. She put her foot down and did not invite her to the wedding--which Mrs. Cartland found very hurtful.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:53 PM

Favourite music

One of Diana's favourite pieces of music was the Brief Encounter theme by Rachmaninoff. Apparently she would listen to it for hours. I believe that Brief Encounter was also one of her favourite films.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Serene Highness

These are all great! Thanks for reminder on Spencer Family Tiara vs. Love Knot tiara (isn't that kind of a fascinating irony giving her a tiara which could be said a Love Not)? Brief Encounter was one of her favorites; the Rachmoninoff associated with it, I did not know.....neat. The last CDs she played incessantly with Dodi were George Michael's "Older," especially the song "You Have Been Loved and the entire theme from the "The English Patient." As far as personal hygiene, she loved Body Shop products, listerine mouth wash, and pantene hairspray--just regular old Listerine and Pantene.....I find these kind of tidbits fascinating. It's like seeing a photo of President Lincoln and then holding a few locks of his hair in your hand. Its the simple things that make these celebrities more "real" and fascinating.....
Old 07-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

There is one thing until now,i have not known clearly is does Diana like or didlike the Queen?How was their relationship going?
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 07-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Thanks for reminder on Spencer Family Tiara vs. Love Knot tiara (isn't that kind of a fascinating irony giving her a tiara which could be said a Love Not)?
Do we know that Charles didn't come to love her, or was it just that he couldn't live with her? One of the most touching stories I've read about her likes was when Charles went to Paris to collect her body, and they were getting her ready to leave the hospital. He asked them to look for her earrings (one was lost) because, he said, she always liked to wear them when she was out in public.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
There is one thing until now,i have not known clearly is does Diana like or didlike the Queen?How was their relationship going?
I think she respected the Queen a lot; at least, that's what she's quoted as saying. I'm not sure they had enough in common to like each other, but I really don't know.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by una
Do we know that Charles didn't come to love her, or was it just that he couldn't live with her? One of the most touching stories I've read about her likes was when Charles went to Paris to collect her body, and they were getting her ready to leave the hospital. He asked them to look for her earrings (one was lost) because, he said, she always liked to wear them when she was out in public.
There is no doubt in my mind that Prince Charles loved Diana until the day she died and she loved him. He said after her death that someday the Royal Archives would show "the truth about his relationship with Diana".

The divorce was necessary to preserve the monarchy and end the damaging war between the two sides' courtiers and advisers. And John Major advised the Queen it was time (i.e. you must order a divorce) to end the fighting.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
There is no doubt in my mind that Prince Charles loved Diana until the day she died and she loved him. He said after her death that someday the Royal Archives would show "the truth about his relationship with Diana"
Uh, Diana said that in the Panorma interview with Martin Bashir.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

At the risk of uttering two nasty words "Simone Simmons" I was surfing the web earlier and Simmons apparently claimed that George W. Bush (yes, our pres) had a triste with Diana.

I would hope this isn't true.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Good grief. With friends like that, Diana didn't need enemies too.

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana